3rd baby 'analysis' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My midwife made the statement at my appointment last month that it was 'highly unlikely I would have a boy after having two girls.'  At first I didn't think much of it because I've always felt like this one was probably a girl.  However, I started thinking about it and wondering if this was actually true.  I started thinking of everyone I knew with three kids (or more) and made a list.  Then I made a list of which ones had same sex children with the first two.  Here is my analysis and I would be curious what yours is!  :)

2 girls then a boy  =  60% (of my friends)

2 boys then a girl  =  33% (of my friends)

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#2 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DDC crashing- interested to see the answer to this as well.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:19 PM

boy

boy

boy

girl 

girl

boy

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Girl, Girl, Girl, this time a Girl too. However my third girl was adopted but the other three are girls

Editted to add that my friend had a girl, boy, boy, boy

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#5 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Me: Boy, girl, girl (current baby in belly is a girl by my feelings)

Sister: Boy, girl, boy

Friend J: Girl, girl, boy

Friend A: Boy, boy, girl, boy, boy

Friend A: Boy, girl, boy

Friend A: Boy, girl, girl

Friend C: Boy, girl, boy

Friend L: Boy, girl, boy

I'd say the odds are more in your favor to have a boy than a girl.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#6 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Technically, you chances are 50% either way each time no matter what you have had before. But my sister's doc told her after she had a girl and then a boy that once she had a boy she wouldn't have another girl and since then she went on to have 4 more boys! For me its girl, boy, boy and I don't know what this one is yet.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#7 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM

I have 2 friends who both had 2 girls and then a boy. shrug.gif  I wonder what the logic or science is behind this... hmmm  I always thought it had more to do when you conceived - like this time around we had intercourse and then almost 2 days later I ovulated.  Everything I read says it will be a boy because the boy swimmers are fast and were probably sitting there waiting for the egg when it dropped.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#8 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
 I wonder what the logic or science is behind this

I was wondering as well. Is it same mom/same dad or is it solely on either the mom or the dad but not both? It seems coo coo bananas to me! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Me: Twin girls, girl, girl, boy, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy. It amazes me that our last 5 went boy, girl, boy, girl, boy.

Friend E: boy, boy, girl, girl, girl, boy, girl, girl, boy, boy, boy

Friend K: girl, girl, girl, girl, girl, girl

Friend S: boy, boy, girl, girl, boy, girl

Friend D: boy, boy, girl, girl, girl, girl, boy, girl, girl, boy

Friend AM: girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy

Friend M: girl, boy, boy, girl, girl, girl

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#10 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM

In my Statistics class we actually figured out what the odds were of a couple having a boy after having 2 girls. I think that it was something like 70% chance of a boy and 30% chance of another girl. I'm going to have to look up my notes from Stats a year ago and see what they said. It was really interesting! I think I'll have to email that professor and let him know that I am really using something I learned in his class!

As for my babies, the only boy I have is the one that was conceived when I was having LOTS of sex, like 3 or 4 times a day for over a month. No wonder I got pregnant the second I missed a BCP! My girls were conceived when I was having way less sex, like a couple of times a month for my daughter and twice in one month, a week before ovulation, with my birthdaughter. With this baby the timing is almost identical to my last baby so that's part of the reason that I'm thinking/feeling girl.

Momsteader likes this.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#11 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what my midwife's logic was behind other than rumors or her own experience.  I have been amazed at how many friends have so many of the same sex.  I have a friend who has five and four are boys.  I know that Shettles thinks it is when you conceive, but the last two times I conceived on the day I ovulated (was temping) and I had a girl last time and I feel like this one is a girl.  I'm beginning to go more with the theory of acidity levels in your body and how they react to dh's sperm.  I am acidic even though with my first I wasn't vegetarian, but quite the opposite.  Since then I am vegetarian and eat totally and completely differently.  My mom is naturally acidic as she even reacts with any sort of metal that she wears...her skin turns black if she wears a metal watch, earrings, necklace, etc.  Mine does sometimes, too. 

I agree that your odds are generally 50/50 no matter what, but I do think some people are more 'prone' to having one sex or the other.

Here's my breakdown:

GM:  girl, girl, girl

GM:  girl, girl, boy

Aunt: girl, girl, boy

Aunt2:  boy, boy, boy

Aunt3:  boy, boy, girl

Friend N: boy, boy, boy, girl, boy

Friend L:  girl, girl, boy (although skewed b/c they are triplets)

Friend A:  boy, boy, boy

Friend S:  boy, boy, boy

Friend C:  girl, girl, girl

Friend A:  girl, girl, boy

Friend J:  boy, boy, girl

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM

I wonder if I'm naturally acidic too. I react to metals too, but part of that is due to allergies.

Okay, I found the statistical breakdown of the odds of a 3rd child being a boy after 2 girls. There is a 3 in 8 chance of having a 2 girls and one boy out of 3 pregnancies which equates to a 37.5% chance, so I was backwards in my PP.

Here's what it looks like in a tree diagram:

ggb statistical odds.jpg

This was one of my favorite things that we learned in Stats because I can use it a lot!  I think I need to do a tree diagram for myself to see what my odds are of a boy vs a girl. :)

Jenni

#13 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Those are very similar to the statics found on ingender.com.  The ones on there, though, are from a specific study, not a long-term one, however, they say your odds go from a 'normal' 51% chance of having a boy to a 46% chance after two girls. 

#14 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 03:29 AM

Yeah, I read baout the Shettles method and really thought it was a boy.  But I also read that as Dad's age they have a better chance of a boy too.  So combining the time(and method) of conception as well as DH is now 41 not 20 like before I figured boy.  Nope, another girl!  Either way I am just happy it is healthy and still shocked/grateful I am even preg. *LOL*

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#15 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 06:05 AM

We have two boys and just found out we're having another one...so factor me into the three in a row crowd. :-)

We weren't trying to get pregnant AT ALL, but thanks to charting i know that we dtd a whole 4 days before i ovulated, which would be girl timing according to shettles i think...but we seem to be all about boys! Ha!

I recently read that after two of the same sex, the chances of another of the same do go up a bit, but that with the fourth, your chances go back to the average? Something like that. I won't be testing it out, that's for sure. Three is plenty for me. innocent.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#16 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

This is from ingender.com:

The 51/49 Boy/Girl Ratio

The ratio of 51% boys to 49% girls seen here is representative of overall US birth rates. There are many hypotheses about why there are slightly more boys born each year than girls, but no one knows for sure why this is so. Here are a couple of the theories:

• Males are more fragile (male infants are less likely to survive their first year, and a man's expected lifespan is less than a woman's). The slightly higher conception rate of males is nature's way of evening out the balance.
  • As Shettles contents, Y-bearing male-producing sperm may have a speed advantage over X-bearing female-producing sperm, more often winning the race to fertilize the egg and resulting in more male conceptions.

Regardless of the reason, the 51/49 ratio remains constant year to year throughout the US population.

Odds of Having a Girl

The odds of having a girl seem decrease after having each boy, but only very slightly. Even after 3 boys, you are only 6.4% more likely to have a 4th boy than a girl.

Previous Children % Girl Births
None dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 49% Girls
1 Boy dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 50% Girls
2 Boys dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 47.7% Girls
3 Boys dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 43.6% Girls

Odds of Having a Boy

The odds of having a boy seem to increase after having girls, except after 2 girls, when a 3rd girl is more likely.

Previous Children % Boy Births
None dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 51% Boys
1 Girl dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 54.5% Boys
2 Girls dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 46.0% Boys
3 Girls dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 52.7% Boys

Gender and Birth Order

Given the charts above, it looks like you are slightly more likely to have a boy, regardless of previous children. This is probably due to the overall 51/49 boy/girl birth ratio. This ratio, interestingly, varies slightly with birth order; it isn't consistent among first-borns, second-borns, etc.

1st Born dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 51.0% Boys
2nd Born dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 52.2% Boys
3rd Born dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 48.6% Boys
4th Born dotPink.gifdotBlue.gif 50.8% Boys

Odds of Having an All Same-Gender Family

If there are roughly even odds of having a boy or a girl with each baby, given the laws of chance we should still expect to see some all same-gender families, even in large families. Here is the number of all same-gender families we would expect to see, purely by chance:

Family Size Same-Gender Mixed-Gender
2 Children 50% 50%
3 Children 25% 75%
4 Children 12.5% 87.5%
5 Children 6% 94%
6 Children 3% 97%
7 Children 1.6% 98.4%

#17 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Your statistics professor needs to talk to a biology professor I think. That analysis is totally wrong biologically.

That ingender info was interesting. IME it seems fairly accurate.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#18 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Okay, I found the statistical breakdown of the odds of a 3rd child being a boy after 2 girls. There is a 3 in 8 chance of having a 2 girls and one boy out of 3 pregnancies which equates to a 37.5% chance, so I was backwards in my PP.

This would be the total odds of having two girls and one boy, not the odds of having a boy after two girls.  There are 8 total outcomes for having 3 kids, 3 of which leave you with 2 girls and a boy.  Hence, 37.5% chance of 2 girls and a boy.  Those odds also don't take order into account, so you have GGB, GBG and BGG as possibilities for "2 girls and 1 boy".  The odds of GGB is only 1/8, but again that's the odds of the specific order starting from 0 kids.  Sex is generally assumed to be independent of previous pregnancies, so it's built into the tree diagram that for every pregnancy the odds of a boy vs. girl is still the same at 1/2.  What the tree diagram basically says is that the odds "reset" for every baby, and so no matter what the sex of your previous babies you still have a 50/50 shot of having a boy (or a girl).  It's basically treated the same as a coin toss - even if you toss the coin 1000 times and get heads every time, the odds of the next toss being tails are still only 50%.

Sorry if I got a little pedantic there, I taught Statistics as a grad student for a few semesters. 

#19 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM

I have heard the old saw about this too -- about boys, e.g. "if you have two boys you have an 80% chance of having a third boy."  And from OBs at that!  They ought to know better. It's all a load of crap.  We may very well be having another boy (we'll find out Tuesday) but I think the ingender stats are probably the closest to the truth of what chances are statistically.  Of course acidity or whatever could be responsible in individual cases.

I think people like to say things like this to be jerks, honestly.  It goes along with the whole prejudice against same-sex families that frankly grates on my last nerve.  All children are a blessing, and each child is a unique human being regardless of what is between the legs.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#20 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Well said, msmiranda!!

Statistics makes my brain hurt.  It was one of the few classes that I just 'got by' with doing the minimum.  Blech.  Would rather take O Chem again.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#21 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Anyway, just b/c it is interesting I have another friend, she has 8. Her first was a girl, then 7 boys, the second pregnancy was twin boys. I find that just weird, more odd than a family w/ only one sex.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#22 of 26 Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

Anyway, just b/c it is interesting I have another friend, she has 8. Her first was a girl, then 7 boys, the second pregnancy was twin boys. I find that just weird, more odd than a family w/ only one sex.

7 boys?? I think I would lose my mind! I have nothing but admiration for you mamas (and your friends!) who have 5 or more kids. I have 2 handled pretty well and I'm sure it will take me a while to hit my stride with adding a new baby.

I did read an article (can't remember when or what it was or where it was) that looked at birth rates of boys vs girls in various countries in relationship to major crises going on. The researchers found that after a period of famine, drought, war, or other times of extreme stress the ratio of boys to girls being born was shifted. There would be more girls being born than boys. The theory (or possibly conclusion) was that during times of stress a woman's body becomes more acidic which tends to kill off the boy sperm and let the hardy girl sperm through. Since girl babies have a better chance of making it to birth and living through the first year of life, the researchers were saying that our bodies kind of naturally react and try to create the offspring with the best chance of survival.

I really wish I could remember where I read that, because it was a really interesting article.

Jenni

#23 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Jenni - I have heard something like that before.  It is an interesting theory.

What is boils down to is that they are all theories.  If anyone came up with a scientific reason that was accurate 100% of the time, we would even be having this discussion!  Haha!  It's amazing how we conceive in the first place, much less what *exactly* determines the sex. 

Annabelle - I have a friend who is having her fourth boy (with one girl that was her fourth child overall) and honestly, I think all the kids do fabulous together and with other kids because they are so used to having to share, compromise, etc.  It makes me very jealous in some ways that my children aren't getting that opportunity.  I just think the people skills the children in large families probably have is much more 'tuned in' than those of us who grew up in two-child families.  (Just stating a generality which I know is not true for every family.  Just my experience.)

#24 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

7 boys?? I think I would lose my mind! I have nothing but admiration for you mamas (and your friends!) who have 5 or more kids. I have 2 handled pretty well and I'm sure it will take me a while to hit my stride with adding a new baby.

I did read an article (can't remember when or what it was or where it was) that looked at birth rates of boys vs girls in various countries in relationship to major crises going on. The researchers found that after a period of famine, drought, war, or other times of extreme stress the ratio of boys to girls being born was shifted. There would be more girls being born than boys. The theory (or possibly conclusion) was that during times of stress a woman's body becomes more acidic which tends to kill off the boy sperm and let the hardy girl sperm through. Since girl babies have a better chance of making it to birth and living through the first year of life, the researchers were saying that our bodies kind of naturally react and try to create the offspring with the best chance of survival.

I really wish I could remember where I read that, because it was a really interesting article.

Very interesting! Yes, 7 boys, I can't imagine. 4 here is enough here at the moment!

#25 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

Annabelle - I have a friend who is having her fourth boy (with one girl that was her fourth child overall) and honestly, I think all the kids do fabulous together and with other kids because they are so used to having to share, compromise, etc.  It makes me very jealous in some ways that my children aren't getting that opportunity.  I just think the people skills the children in large families probably have is much more 'tuned in' than those of us who grew up in two-child families.  (Just stating a generality which I know is not true for every family.  Just my experience.)

That is true in our family and all of the friends I know. It is lovely to go to a picnic or other get together and have so many older children, like high school and returning college age holding whatever baby needs cuddling and playing w/ little ones.

#26 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM

My mom had two girls and then a boy. She was awful at guessing too. She thought my sister and I would be boys and that my brother was a girl. lol.gif

My MIL had three boys and then a girl. I have a girl and a boy. My midwife and I both think this one is a girl because I have lost my brain like I did with my

dd. :lol My pregnancy complaints are quite similar to my other girl pregnancy and different from my boy one. Whatever the baby ends up being though i am

excited just to have another little one.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page