Braxton Hicks second trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am now 18 weeks and experienced some BH last night?  I didn't have these until much later in my first pregnancy.  Anyone experience this as yet?  I am currently taking antibiotic Tindamax for BV and I dont know if that has something to do with it. Today is the last day for the 5 day course of Antibiotics.

#2 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM

Yes, it's normal. Your uterus really contracts throughout the entire pregnancy, but most don't feel it until later on. With subsequent pregnancies, they tend to be stronger earlier on and you recognize them more. I'm 19wks. and have been feeling them for 4wks. now. Oh, this is my 4th.

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#3 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM

I've been feeling the BH for the past 2 weeks or so as well. This is my 4th and I'm almost 19 weeks. You notice the BH earlier and more with each subsequent pregnancy, and you tend to notice the PP contractions (aka "afterpains") more as well.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#4 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM

I am also noticing some BH contractions. Last time I didn't feel them until the last few weeks of pregnancy. This time I have been noticing them for quite a while already.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#5 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM

I am noticing them already, too - mostly after, ahem, relations - which is normal anyways.  But I have had several when I am just hanging out.  I take it as a cue to drink some water because I always seem to get them when I am dehydrated.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM

I have noticed them here for a few weeks (I am 20 weeks) Mostly if I have been on my feet all day,am dehydrated or have a very full bladder.  So I basically, pee, get a big glass of water and then take a load off and lay on my left side.  Usually works great.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#7 of 17 Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM

In the past week or so I've experienced a few of these also!!! And I don't recall having any at all when I was pregnant with my son.  Just goes to show...every pregnancy is very different :)

#8 of 17 Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm 18w and have been feeling them for the last week or so. Totally off the main topic here, and totally just a suggestion.  As someone who is *blessed* with chronic BV I've found a great regimen. I take 1 each of Culterelle, Jarro-Dophilus +fos, and L. Reuteri, each day and within a day or two, a week at the absolute most, I'm totally clear.  After many many many rounds of antibiotics, which most times failed to fix the problem, and usually just caused more in the way of side effects, I found some forums online and found that many women use probiotics as treatment and prophylactic with great success and no side effects.  I hope this helps smile.gif

Beloved of Chris since 12/31/08. Missing our sweet Persephone Grace 5/24/11 - 5/26/11 angel3.gif So much love baby girl, so much love.

#9 of 17 Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Phew!! Glad to hear it's normal.  I'm experiencing them much earlier than before, as well.  I attributed it to a terrifying, turbulence-filled plane ride the other day.  The baby was going totally bananas and I was having those familiar contractions.  I was a little concerned, haha.

#10 of 17 Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone...glad to know many of us are in the same boat. 

Hi knittin mama...thanks so much for the advice on BV.  This is my first time having it ( that I know of).  I am all about probiotics and have been taking them faithfully, because I don't want to get a yeast infection because of the antibiotics I just finished taking.  I will surely look into the ones you recommended.

#11 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM

I've been feeling them for awhile and forgot to ask at my midwife appt yesterday if it was normal (I've been feeling them since around 16 weeks, when I first felt the baby move).  I'm glad others do too at this point.  I figured it was just another one of those things that comes from being an experienced prego. smile.gif

#12 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM

I'm 19 weeks along with Baby #1 and I started feeling BH contractions last week. I was dehydrated, so I've made sure to double my water intake to avoid that weird feeling :)

#13 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm right at 18 and a half weeks and have been experiencing BH contractions for probably 3 or 4 weeks now. This is baby #3 for me.

Melanie
#14 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 PM

Yep yep. I have IU so I get pretty painful, regular ones throughout pregnancy that do not resolve with excessive hydration.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#15 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 AM

The BH contractions have really kicked in this week. This baby is so low as well it feels as if he is going to pop right out! I'm hoping this is a good sign to come for a VBAC :)

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#16 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM

I got them frequently from about 20 weeks with my first.  Completely normal.  I haven't felt them yet with this one, and am 21 weeks.  It was a nice little reminder, from what I remembered.  They did tend to get more pronounced when I was exerting myself last time around.

#17 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow. I never got them with my DS. So far nothing this time yet. I wonder if I will end up getting them this time around. Is it terrible that I kind of would like to at some point? I was induced with my DS and never really felt any contractions until my epidural wore off during the pushing phase. I guess I'd like a chance to practice with BH since I'm planning a natural home birth this time!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page