Placenta Plans? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I spent an evening last month reading all about placentophagy and encapsulating and such, and I have some interest, although since it takes awhile to get over the initial revulsion, I'm not sure it will happen or if DH will help. As he pointed out, "that's great that mammals eat their placentas. But dogs also eat their own poop, so...." Made me laugh! I could probably do a smoothie or two right away with the frozen berries we keep on hand. Forgot to ask the hospital at our L&D tour if they resist removal of placentas; it appears that many want to use their own biohazard procedures.

#32 of 45 Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Will you be staying in the hospital for a day or two after the birth? 'Cause if so, maybe they'd be more willing to hand it over once it was securely frozen and triple-bagged and whatever else it is they do?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#33 of 45 Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 PM

But if i want to eat it in smoothies, don't I want to take it home in a cooler and cube it up there to use most of it fresh? I assume it's like fresh meat, where you're not supposed to thaw it whole, chunk, then re-freeze?

#34 of 45 Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 AM

Oh, right. I was thinking of encapsulation. Well, according to the other thread in here about freezer meals, it's OK to refreeze meat if it's been thawed in the fridge, not on a counter or sink. I really can't vouch for how that applies to placentas, though. :p

#35 of 45 Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Whoa on the $1,000 dollars to encapsulate it. Here I was bemoaning where I was going to find the 100-200 dollars that I've seen people charging around here. I agree that seems outrageously expensive.

In case I can't end up affording it, I might entertain the smoothie idea but I am not entirely sure I could stomach it. I used to have a cast iron stomach but ever since I got pregnant I have turned into a total wuss. Is it all in one smoothie or do you do multiple ones with it?
#36 of 45 Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM

eat.gif  I always look forward to my smoothie after birth!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#37 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 01:49 PM

I live in a really conservative small town with no midwives for 3 hours in any direction. My OB balked at the idea of me using a squatting bar for the second stage of labour, saying "I don't want to deliver your baby laying down". I said "yeah, neither do I!". Anyway, this is what I'm up against when it comes to my preferences for birth.

Is there any reason or "medical" excuse I might be met with to discourage me from taking it? I understand that if end up with drugs during labour, it's probably not a good idea to consume it, but I'm doing my best to avoid that scenario. 

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#38 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerette View Post

I My OB balked at the idea of me using a squatting bar for the second stage of labour, saying "I don't want to deliver your baby laying down". I said "yeah, neither do I!". 

beautiful! good for you! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#39 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4mady View Post

Wow that is a lot!! I would not be able to do it if it cost that much.  I have not shopped around at all for pricing so I may be getting the deal of the century but, I am having it done for $150.

^^^yeah. If I'm not mistaken, the service we plan to use is $150 as well. They come to our house, disinfect the kitchen, and do all the prep there. Nice.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#40 of 45 Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

beautiful! good for you! 

Thank you.

This was two weeks ago, the first time I worked up the courage to ask for the options that I'd like available to me. I left the appointment with my husband completely defeated, and other than UC (which we are SO not prepared for) I have no other course of action. I'm stuck. I didn't even bring up my desire to have light food available to me in case I'm hungry, or for intermittent fetal monitoring. I asked about squatting to help with labour progression, to shorten stage 2 and to possibly help prevent tearing - he told me that whoever told me that it might help with tearing was lying to me, and that there is absolutely nothing my husband and I can do to help myself not tear (including massage weeks in advance). He said that he is the only one who knows if I'm going to tear, and if he thinks I'm going to tear he is going to cut me (unless I want to be incontinent), then basically shooed me out of the office, saying that I've never done this before, implying that I couldn't possibly have an idea of what I want. I'm 32 weeks now, and I have another appointment tomorrow. I've shed many tears and lost all hope of getting the birth that I want and I'm just going to try to make the best of it with what I'm given. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm up against when getting put through "the machine" and wanting the placenta afterward.

I've been dealing with hard core antenatal anxiety and depression and I'd like to try to encapsulate it to stave off the dark while I recover.

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#41 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Good Gods, Spinnerette, that's HORRIBLE.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#42 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Your care provider's insensitivity is probably TOTALLY helping with that antenatal anxiety and depression, amirite? How horrid of him! On the bright side, though, if he's like most providers he'll probably just show up during the last 5 minutes to catch the baby. But still, ick.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#43 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View PostOn the bright side, though, if he's like most providers he'll probably just show up during the last 5 minutes to catch the baby.

True story. You won't see him much. 

I may have missed the answers but are you familiar with how natural birth friendly your hospital is? Are you able to hire a doula or do you have a friend who could fill that role and advocate for you, your babe and your DH? 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#44 of 45 Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm not aware of how natural-friendly the hospital is. The OB seemed pleased enough that I said I'd like to go natural, I assume that a lot of women who go through here request epidurals right off the bat because they think they'll need them.

I don't doubt though, that my willingness to go natural is going to be met with pressures to induce (I'm due on June 11th, a Saturday, and the OB stated at my first prenatal appointment that he goes on vacation the following week) or get augmentation. I want to do everything I can to get the labour to progress as quickly as possible, because I know I'm on "the clock". I'm up against my own fears about delivering in the hospital, in THIS hospital, and I know that if I'm not comfortable, labour could stall and put me in a bad position. I wanted to give birth in an environment where my body is trusted by everyone to do what it is meant to, with quiet watchful eyes guarding our safety.

The OB had the balls to say that I shouldn't put myself "in a box" by having my preferences, ideas about how it should go, and in the next breath said that people who go in with a good mindset have a better time. I'm sure the people with the 'good mindset' about giving birth in this hospital don't know the things we do about birth, and the people with the 'bad mindset' were the ones unwilling to hand themselves over to the procedures.

I wanted this birth to change the way I see myself. This was supposed to empower me, to help give me the confidence to do what needs to be done for myself and my new daughter for the rest of my life. I want to bring her into the world under my own power, like so many of you have done. I know I can do this, it's not impossible, but I wish it didn't have to be this way. I have absolutely no family or friends where I live, my husband and I are going it alone. The plan is to wait as long as I can before going in and just trying to stick to our guns. My husband has been educating himself along with me, and is fully prepared to defend me. I know that if they say the baby's in danger, though, everything is out the window. 

I've got an hour and half before the next appointment. Hug your midwives if you've got 'em. 

Sorry to have derailed the thread, ladies.

#45 of 45 Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Spinnerette: I firmly believe that squatting and "breathing" DD out prevented me from tearing, even though she had a nuchal hand. Your OB sounds ghastly. :( If you have to give birth at the hospital, it sounds like labouring at home for as long as possible is your best bet for avoiding some of the drama.

If your OB is going on holiday, who'll be there instead? You might want to try to avoid this guy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page