Placenta Plans? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious as to what everyone is thinking about doing with their placentas... I have found a wonderful, but expensive, woman who will dry and encapsulate mine for me.  I hoped to consume mine last time around but time got away from me - I am thinking if I actually have someone who comes and does it for me I will be more likely to follow through with it.  I had horrible PPD with my last and don't want to fall into that abyss again.  I don't think I can eat it raw or in a smoothie - I have a very sensitive stomach as it is and can't see that being a viable option for me.  

Is anyone else thinking of consuming the placenta? Has anyone done it before? How did you do it and how did you feel?

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#2 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Last time I planned on making smoothies but just never did. By the time I even thought about it post-birth the placenta had been uncovered in the fridge for too long for my comfort. I took photographs, made blood prints, put it in a baggie and there it sits still in my freezer. That reminds me - I hear the prints won't hold up and haven't looked at them since they dried. I should dig them up. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't know yet!  Last time, I planned to do a lotus birth, but we ended up cutting the cord after about 36 hours.  I felt like it had been sitting out too long to eat... and now this time I don't know what I will do.  I don't feel like I can stomach consuming it fresh, but I would love to avoid PPD.  I doubt I will be up to encapsulating it myself but it is something I should ask around about.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#4 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM

I would love to have it encapsulated for me, but I can't afford it. I honestly don't think that I could do it myself, even though it's supposed to be very easy. There is NO way that I could eat it raw in any form unless it was eat it or die. Even then it's questionable... I don't know what I'm going to do. We'll be moving from my mother's house into an apartment or something about a month before the baby is born so planting it in the yard (if it's even possible) doesn't make sense.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM

I had a smoothie after my last birth(strawberry, banana, yogurt, placenta...it was GREAT) and plan to do the very same thing again.  We also made prints and it's still sitting in my freezer waiting for....I don't really know yet.  I should probably bury it this spring before new babe comes and I've got more placenta in my freezer than anything else!

FWIW, we used frozen strawberries(I was concerned about small chunks of placenta still intact and I thought small bits of strawberry would make it not noticable), and I could only taste a tiny bit of metallic/blood flavor after it had not all been consumed in 10 minutes.

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

#6 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM

I have some doula friends who have an encapsulation service so I'm planning to give them a call to help out. :) I also want to make a print and save some to plant with a special shrub for this baby. 

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#7 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 PM

So how much does encapsulation cost? I know someone who does it locally and I will ask her, but I thought I would ask you for an idea of what to compare it against. I cannot imagine it would be the funnest, easiest job, but it is still a pretty neat idea. I guess if I cannot afford to have it encapsulated, we will plant it under a little flowering bush in our new yard. Maybe I will smoothie a chunk of it with some berries, but I cannot imagine I could eat the whole thing raw. Is there something special that you have to do to make a print? It is just blood? Do I need special paper? I feel sad about my DD's placenta. I was really excited about it and wanted to save to plant under a pink flowering bush. It was just so meaningful to me. We asked the hospital not to toss it. However in the exhaustion of leaving the hospital we decided not to make the effort of saving it, so it stayed behind. We informed the nurses on the way out, "By the way, there is a placenta in the closet". I wish I had insisted on someone taking it home and putting it in the freezer, but it really is small beans in reflection, and I was blessed with a pretty smooth postpartum. This time, hopefully, I'll have my home birth and I'll be a little more in control of what goes on!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#8 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 PM

I am planning on getting the placenta encapsulated. The Doula I am considering has a encapsulating service so I think that is the easiest way to go. It is not cheap but, I know this is the only way I can use it and I really want to have it for all of the benefits. I know there is no way I could eat it any other way

#9 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

It is around $1,000 here!!  We certainly don't have the money, but if we UC, which we are leaning towards, then we can use the money we saved for a midwife towards that.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#10 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM

A gal in my parenting group does encapsulation for $100ish, maybe less. She isn't licensed or certified or whatever; not sure if that makes a difference in price. I didn't really have any PPD issues, so I'm not having it done. I think I'd like to look at the placenta this time before they discard it. I didn't even see DS's. I guess I'm not that crunchy. :P

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#11 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Burying it in my garden or under a plant, as usual.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#12 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Edited. 

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#13 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM

I don't really have any interest in consuming my placenta in any form, nor in doing any type of art with it, and we rent an apartment so I can't bury it or plant it. Can I just throw it in the dumpster with regular trash??

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#14 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

I don't really have any interest in consuming my placenta in any form, nor in doing any type of art with it, and we rent an apartment so I can't bury it or plant it. Can I just throw it in the dumpster with regular trash??

I guess that depends on a few things... do you live in an area where mice, rats or other critters could dig through your trash?  If so, I recommend putting it in your freezer or fridge until trash day and then getting it in the garbage can right before the truck comes.  Make sure you put it in a couple of bags, at least, and that as much air as possible is removed from them and they are secured.

It is technically considered a biohazard and 'should' not be put in the regular trash, but other than burning it, I don't see much of a choice, right?  Unless you know someone who works in a hospital and can dispose of it properly.  DD's is still in my freezer and I will probably keep lugging it around with us until we find our 'forever' home!

#15 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post

A gal in my parenting group does encapsulation for $100ish, maybe less. She isn't licensed or certified or whatever; not sure if that makes a difference in price. I didn't really have any PPD issues, so I'm not having it done. I think I'd like to look at the placenta this time before they discard it. I didn't even see DS's. I guess I'm not that crunchy. :P

Do you think she would come to Chicago???!!!  

#16 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

It is around $1,000 here!!  We certainly don't have the money, but if we UC, which we are leaning towards, then we can use the money we saved for a midwife towards that.

Wow that is a lot!! I would not be able to do it if it cost that much.  I have not shopped around at all for pricing so I may be getting the deal of the century but, I am having it done for $150.

#17 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Your MW or someone with a garden may want it. 

#18 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

So how much does encapsulation cost? I know someone who does it locally and I will ask her, but I thought I would ask you for an idea of what to compare it against. I cannot imagine it would be the funnest, easiest job, but it is still a pretty neat idea. I guess if I cannot afford to have it encapsulated, we will plant it under a little flowering bush in our new yard. Maybe I will smoothie a chunk of it with some berries, but I cannot imagine I could eat the whole thing raw. Is there something special that you have to do to make a print? It is just blood? Do I need special paper? I feel sad about my DD's placenta. I was really excited about it and wanted to save to plant under a pink flowering bush. It was just so meaningful to me. We asked the hospital not to toss it. However in the exhaustion of leaving the hospital we decided not to make the effort of saving it, so it stayed behind. We informed the nurses on the way out, "By the way, there is a placenta in the closet". I wish I had insisted on someone taking it home and putting it in the freezer, but it really is small beans in reflection, and I was blessed with a pretty smooth postpartum. This time, hopefully, I'll have my home birth and I'll be a little more in control of what goes on!

A doula local to me charges $150 in her home and $200 in the clients home. $1000 seems wildly too much!

I just used blood on high quality watercolour paper but most I see are done with paint. I personally don't care for the look. Maybe a thin, red paint? I might could go for that. My last placenta was awesome to see as it had marginal cord insertion.  

#19 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM

i hope to encapslate. i would do it myself, but dh feels weary about it and wants a trained professional to use her own pots/coffee grinder, etc. plus i wonder if i would be able to do it in the days after birth. i like that the pills will last forever in your freezer, so you could use it to help with menopause later in life. ds was a c/s so we were not able to take his placenta home and bc of pitocin it wouldn't have been edible anyway. 

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#20 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM

We're 3 hours south of Chicago. Maybe you guys could work something out. If you want, pm me your email address and I can pass it along to her. :)

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#21 of 45 Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM

I do love this print

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1383319696961&set=o.11198402346

#22 of 45 Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 AM

were going to bury our. Under our veggie garden. I have to retill that area and start fresh this year. So why not start fresh literally. We will not be encapsulating them.

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#23 of 45 Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Has anyone given this more thought? 

I recently bought my watercolour paper, which is gorgeous and spendy stuff. 

a20792a1248c09fa4f1d27_m.jpg

The old prints - made in blood - on this same paper are still fine looking but only about 18mo at this point so that may change. I'm thinking of buying some paint this time but don't like the look of painted placenta prints so I may just buy red. Watercolour paint? Do any of you know which is best? I'd like it to look as close to blood as possible. Is that terribly macabre? 

After that we'll probably plant both placentas (one frozen) in the yard. We're renting, don't have foreseeable plans to buy a place and, while it's kind of amusing to bust out the ol' placenta parlour tricks for special guests, my 12yo has accused me of placenta hoarding redface.gif

#24 of 45 Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM

For the paint you might try some acrylic paint mixed with water to thin it. It will be a thicker consistency than watercolors so it won't run all over the place, but it won't be as thick and goopy as if it were straight out of the tube. Plus, acrylic is colorfast, durable, inexpensive and easy to use.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#25 of 45 Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DH encapsulated mine last time, and will do the same this time. It's really not that hard (and he's a terrible cook, ha!). My iron levels were great after I'd been taking them for a month, and I don't think I got PPD while I was diligent about taking them, so yay. :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 45 Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

The old prints - made in blood - on this same paper are still fine looking but only about 18mo at this point so that may change. I'm thinking of buying some paint this time but don't like the look of painted placenta prints so I may just buy red. Watercolour paint? Do any of you know which is best? I'd like it to look as close to blood as possible. Is that terribly macabre? 

IDK, Kawa, I think a tie-dyed placenta print would be pretty cool!  If I wasn't going to consume mine, that's what I would do.  Think of all the pretty colors swirling together hippie.gif (I am actually serious about that :) 

I would have to imagine that there is some type of natural preservative out there that you could use if you were to go with just the blood and not paint.  Aren't there cave paintings out there done in blood that have lasted tens of thousands of years?  

#27 of 45 Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM

My midwife charges $100, I think $1000 is really crazy. But I go to help my mom encapsulate my sister's a couple of weeks ago and it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. Now if I could get DH to do it for me so I could relax:o. We'll see, I think he doesn't want to have to worry about it either!

Endlessly happy wife to heartbeat.gifSteve, homeschool.gifHomeschooling Mama to energy.gifDD Jordin - 1/20/04, bouncy.gifDD Riley - 12/10/06, and nut.gifDD Lillian our first uc.jpg  h20homebirth.gif 7/10/08, DDlove.gif Zoie 6/3/11 and new bean in June 2013

#28 of 45 Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I have no desire to do anything with it. I need to talk to my mw to see if she has suggestions.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#29 of 45 Old 04-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coharmony View Post

I have no desire to do anything with it. I need to talk to my mw to see if she has suggestions.

She or someone she knows may want it! 

#30 of 45 Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yeah; if you know any gardeners with strong stomachs, they should definitely be keen to take it off your hands! Those things are GREAT for the garden.

I'm skeptical about the cave paintings... wouldn't those be red clay or ochre or... something? I'm not sure blood would last that well. Side note, someone once spilled a chocolate milkshake on some concrete steps at Uni, and the resulting stain looked suspiciously blood-stain-like and lasted for literally years. For all I know, it's there still. Makes you wonder what they put in the syrup, no?

I also happen to know a recipe for fake blood - golden syrup and food colouring - which was used on The Lord of the Rings film sets. Probably not so great for placenta prints, though. And why am I waffling about blood? I need a nap.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page