Kicks? Thought I felt some but... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is baby number three this time, and it seems like by now I felt kicks the last two times, and a few weeks ago I was convinced I felt kicks too, but I'm totally not feeling them, I have been trying to lay still/stand still every now and then to pay attention (lots of distractions so it does have to be conscious) and I'm not feeling anything...

I feel kind of silly because I know that sometimes it just takes longer, but how is it for all of you? I'm due 6/23 so almost 18 weeks...we have had one appt with the midwife and the heartbeat was strong.

I blog about all I say here and more at KristinBennett.com. Mom of Kenzie 9/2005, Hazel 4/2009, and Baby (?) EDD 6/2011.
#2 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 AM

I'm about as far along as you with baby #2.  Baby #1 I felt by 14 weeks and at 15 weeks it was unmistakable.  This time around I'm only now starting to feel tiny little flutters that I *think* are babies movements.

This was worrying me probably more than it should until I ran across another thread (I think it might have been in the July DDC) where numerous other mothers weren't feeling their babies as early as previously.  I think because all the books say that first time mothers don't feel movement as early that I totally expected to feel things even earlier this time around.  But for me this isn't the case.

The placement of the placenta can make a big difference on how early you feel movement.

I can't wait till I'm feeling regular movement--it's such a reassuring experience.  But there's nothing to worry about just because you haven't felt anything yet.

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#3 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 AM

This is my first baby and I started feeling her kick right around 18 weeks...which I think is "early" according to what's written. So I would agree that nothing is set in stone. Watching my ultrasound this week, I was amazed at how much she was moving and how little of it I was feeling. I think they say not to even think about it unless you've reached 22 weeks.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#4 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM

This is baby #3 for me as well. I'm about 17 and a half weeks along right now. I don't remember exactly when I felt movement with my previous 2 but I want to say around 16 weeks with #1 and 13 weeks with #2. I assumed I would feel movement as early as 13 weeks with this one too but no. Nothing. Although 2 nights ago I am 95% sure I felt the baby move. It was just 2 little thumps while I was laying in bed but different enough from gas and tummy gurgles... but nothing since. At my last appt at the beginning of the month when the midwife was using the dopplar we could hear the baby moving but I couldn't feel it at all. Feeling the baby move is one of the best things ever! I'm very excited about seeing my older girl's reactions to being able to feel the baby move from the outside.

Melanie
#5 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM

This is my 11th and I feel this baby much less than some of my others. I rarely feel much and it isn't pronounced. I will be 19 weeks tomorrow.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#6 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm 19 weeks with my 3rd and I don't feel anything yet either. om.gif Being surprisingly zen about it, though. 

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#7 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 11:40 AM

This is my 6th babe and I'm about 18w and I only feel once in a while (like maybe once every few days or a week). I've probably felt him only a dozen times total that I was SURE. I felt my others much earlier and some later. I've weighed the same at the start of every pregnancy, so that isn't a factor for me, but could be if you weigh significantly different than you did in other pregnancies.

PP's saying placental placement makes a difference REALLY does! If you have an anterior placenta (on the 'front' of the uterus) it's like putting a big pillow over your belly and expecting a babe the size of an avocado to make a big enough 'bump' for you feel through the pillow! Not going to happen easily or often!  My last pregnancy was twins both with anterior placentas and i didn't feel them regularly for most of the pregnancy! Near the end, I could 'see' my stomach moving, but I didn't feel it! LOL

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#8 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This is my third and I'm feeling nothing yet!  There have been a few times where I felt a little something that made me stop and pay attention, but nothing I could say for sure was the baby.

I'm 18 or 19 weeks.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#9 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM

This thread is so reassuring! I am pretty sure I've felt the baby over the last few weeks (I'm almost 19 weeks) but I keep doubting myself. Its a good reminder that every pregnancy is different and that most people don't feel hard regular kicks yet!  Funny what you forget. This my 4th baby!

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#10 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm 19w6d and have been feeling this baby for a good while as well as from the outside. He's also my 6th. With #1 I was quite pregnant before I felt anything, having an anterior placenta with #4 delayed feeling movement, having a chill baby versus active babe has made a difference as well.

Very very soon every single one of us will be feeling our babies and not long after we'll be falling in love with their perfect gestures and features. Hang in there! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#11 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM

so this is pregnancy #3 for me, and while i felt some kicks around christmas (actually all day on christmas!) and a bit earlier, i did not start feeling regular, every day movement until 20 weeks. i'm close to 21 weeks now, and there's no mistaking that little one is in there. i was a bit anxious about it. i think that's normal. especially when you hear about women feeling kicks at 14 weeks. every one is different, and every pregnancy is different. :) it won't be long before we'll be feeling our insides are being completely ransacked! 

love.gif

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#12 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 AM

Pregnancy #3 for me.  I felt flutters at 14 wks. kicks every couple of days at 16 weeks.  Now at 20 wks. I feel hiccups, kicks about 5 times a day, you can see and feel them from outside and they just started waking me up in the night the last few days so hang in there it is on it's way for you all!!!! She just started pushing/sticking out last night which is always fun because you give them that little poke and they dissappear *LOL*

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#13 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 AM

I've been feeling kicks for about 16 weeks now. But with DS I never really felt them for sure until probably 23 weeks or more. But last time I had a "backwards uterus" whatever that means.

I know I feel the baby a lot more if I drink a glass of  orange juice and lay down on my back. Then I feel him like crazy after awhile!

#14 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM

This is my third, I'm 18 weeks.  I'm only just now starting to feel kicks daily.  For the past couple weeks I have felt a kick every few days, and it was to the point where I wasn't sure if it was really kicks or not.  It's definitley kicks now.  I've quit laying on my belly after a couple days ago when I laid down on the floor to play a game with my 5 year old and got a swift kick right to the front...baby didn't like it any more I guess!  I'm still almost completely flat-bellied. 

I'm  pretty sure I have an anterior placenta...I feel kicks all around my sides and down very very low, but nothing right in front.  I had posterior with my first and felt movement starting at 12 weeks.  Anterior with my second and no regular movement until 18.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#15 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM

YAY! This thread makes me happy.  I'm so reassured seeing that everyone is a little different. I'm almost 20 wks and still haven't felt anything definite!

#16 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm due around June 20th and have started to feel some real kicks :)

Over the last week or two there have been an occasion "I think that was baby" pokes, but last night I had some strong definite ones and it was many in a row :)  Yeah for strong babies.  

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#17 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 PM

I've been feeling little bumps and wiggles since about 16/17 weeks that have gotten stronger each day. Today I was in clinical at the hospital and I got kicked HARD and I jumped and put my hand on my belly. The patient asked me if I was okay! lol  I had to reassure her that I was fine, I just got kicked really hard.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#18 of 24 Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one! This is #2 and I'm nearly 18w, and have felt nothing. Wasn't too worried about it, and I'm really enjoying the luxury of not feeling like I should be reading a book about what progress I should be making every week. I figure it'll kick when it's ready. But I'm still glad that many of you aren't feeling anything yet. DD keeps asking when, though!

#19 of 24 Old 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM

I felt hardly anything at 18 weeks.

I'm at 21 right now and I keep getting the "party in your tummy" song from yo gabba gabba running through my head, because holy crap is there a lot of activity.  The kind where I lay down and just watch my belly jump all over the place.

#20 of 24 Old 01-23-2011, 07:50 PM

This is baby #2 for me. I started feeling stuff crazy early, like 13 weeks. I feel TONS of movement daily the past 3ish weeks. For the past week, you can feel some movement on the outside. I'll be 19 weeks on Tuesday. I'm freaking out the other pregnant people I know.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#21 of 24 Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM

This is my 1st pregnancy and I've felt movements from very early on - 12wks/5 days to be exact! There's no mistaking that it was the bean because it's getting stronger by the day.  No kicks or bumps, it's more of a rolling/turning feeling...kind of like a tennis ball rolling around. It's high up as well.  All the movements I've been feeling are right at my belly button, on either side of my bb, and near my sides. I also just started to feel the movement from the outside....VERY exciting stuff.

Heather geek.gif in stillheart.gif with DH geek.gif  1st baby  stork-girl.gif due end of June h20homebirth.gif
#22 of 24 Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 AM

This thread has actually made me feel much better!  This is my 2nd, and I am 18 weeks and have felt a very minimal amount of movement.  It started worrying me this past weekend because I started feeling movement with DS very early - around 14 weeks.

I get my untrasound on Thursday and am so ready for it so that I can make sure my little one is safe and sound in there.

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#23 of 24 Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM

I am almost 20 weeks now and starting to feel more. I feel him or her every morning when I first wake up, so sweet. But I am quite active, so I must miss some as well through the day as well as this baby being quieter generally.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#24 of 24 Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

I wish I'd seen this thread yesterday before freaking out--I'm in the same boat. 18 weeks and a few days, and after feeling light movement pretty early on (12 weeks maybe?) I'm now feeling very little. A flutter or two a day maybe. I started another thread on this and got lots of reassurance! Thanks mamas! This is my #2 and I'm betting on anterior placenta (heart on dopp has been hard to find as well) and also (hopefully) a mellow babe. My daughter was and is SO not mellow and I have intuition that this child will be gentler.

Ultrasound is today, if we can make it through the snow!! I'm so ready for Spring and Summer to roll around...

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page