Shopping and early nesting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hit 20 weeks today and it's like the shopping switch was turned on! I'm home sick today (and clinical was canceled, yay!) so I've been shopping online allll day. I found bulk packages of Lansinoh milk storage bags on Amazon, prefold cloth diapers on ebay, really cute clearance covers on tinytush.com (which shipped about an hour after I placed my order!), and I found a car seat/stroller combo on craigslist. I started a registry online at Wal-Mart and another at Target. I found the crib that I'll be purchasing and the bedding that I'll be sort of splurging on.

I'm also thinking that I'm going to start deep-cleaning my room and reorganizing stuff this weekend. It's been driving me crazy lately and I feel like with the limited time I have, I need to do certain areas or types of tasks each weekend until everything is ready to go.

My closet is huge, but it needs some major organization and a little bit of structural work done on it as well. And I'm pretty sure that I'll be rearranging the furniture in my room. There will also be lots of stuff going to Goodwill, or to the trash, because there is just a bunch of stuff that I don't use anymore or it's totally useless.

Please, tell me I'm not alone in this sudden insanity!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#2 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 PM

I don't have a lot of shopping for baby to do but yes, I've bought a few clothing items and it's suddenly seemed very important to clean my home. We're planning on moving so it's not birth prep nesting so much as coo coo bananas pregnancy nesting. I will say that my home is never more immaculate as it is when I'm about to birth! It makes up for the year of postpartum neglect. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 12:32 PM

The shopping, list making, and cleaning switch has definitely been turned on for me too Mama, lol. I'm getting so much done! 

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#4 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM

WTG mamas ..making me feel like a slacker over here LOL blush.gif

I never have huge desires to clean..but I think that's because it feels so HUGE to do. Traftyn's room is in MAJOR need of organization, cleaning out the clutter, etc..and the job seems too large to tackle by myself.

Hoping the cleaning bug and shopping bug hit me soon...nothing like waiting til the last minute (and I'm notorious for it)  Geesh

#5 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreAllOne430 View Post

I never have huge desires to clean..but I think that's because it feels so HUGE to do. Traftyn's room is in MAJOR need of organization, cleaning out the clutter, etc..and the job seems too large to tackle by myself.

Hoping the cleaning bug and shopping bug hit me soon...nothing like waiting til the last minute (and I'm notorious for it)  Geesh

Haha! Me too.

I'm also facing a possible move before the birth so I haven't yet had any urge to nest. I've bought a couple maternity items for late spring/early summer but no baby stuff yet and no extra cleaning. Maybe after I find out what we're having I'll get the urge to shop...hopefully it's not too bad though 'cause I don't want to spend too much! I'm also banking on LOTS of 2nd hand items from friends and family.

Heather geek.gif in stillheart.gif with DH geek.gif  1st baby  stork-girl.gif due end of June h20homebirth.gif
#6 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllOne430 View Post

The only thing I've done is exercise my debit card. LOL!  The rest of the stuff I want to do, but I'm going to have to break it into small bits or it will completely overwhelm me and nothing will ever get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2bJune2011 View Post

Haha! Me too.

I'm also facing a possible move before the birth so I haven't yet had any urge to nest. I've bought a couple maternity items for late spring/early summer but no baby stuff yet and no extra cleaning. Maybe after I find out what we're having I'll get the urge to shop...hopefully it's not too bad though 'cause I don't want to spend too much! I'm also banking on LOTS of 2nd hand items from friends and family.

I'm facing a possible move as well, but I still feel the need to do all of this. Which is totally nuts! If anything, I guess it will make packing and moving easier because there will be less stuff and it will be more organized prior to packing it all up.

However, I swear I'm not buying anything else until after my baby showers!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#7 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM

I definitely want to shop, and after seeing a healthy baby on the ultrasound today I feel like I can start building my cloth diaper stash a little. :) I have a friend who said she'd lend me her newborn dipes but since we didn't use cloth with my daughter, we're pretty much starting from scratch. I'm excited to do it! I'm going to buy 1-2 one size AIOs a month until baby is here. And since we aren't finding out the sex I feel like I need to build my gender-neutral wardrobe a little. My daughter got spoiled with the pink frilly stuff from the very beginning---another reason I'm glad we're not finding out. I much prefer the browns, greens, and jewel tones anyway.

Shopping for myself has been less enticing, since everything has to be covered by my giant winter coat. I keep thinking, what's the point? I also got a ton of winter maternity hand-me-downs from my awesome friend who is also loaning me her newborn diapers. :) We lived in California when I was pregnant with my daughter (and pregnant during Spring & Summer) so there wasn't much need for all the long sleeves.

I've been super nesty since we just moved a few weeks ago from an apartment to a house, but it's been so snowy and we only have one car that I haven't been able to make the shopping trips I want...new curtains, a couple rugs, lamps...things that would make things look "right." And of course I want to be moving things around, which I know I shouldn't, but it's hard not to when I know THAT CHAIR NEEDS TO BE OVER HERE OR I WILL FEEL WEIRD ALL DAY! nut.gif

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#8 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM

I've been building my cloth diaper stash for months! I went browsing at monitors last weekend. I can't wait until we find out the gender on the 8th to sort through DS's clothes, wash, organize, clean drawers out. I'm trying to accumulate stuff slowly since we don't have a lot of extra in the budget. Plus, it helps me be a super bargainer and do a lot of trading. AND it keeps me occupied while it's freezing out and I'm a shut in.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#9 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootinBrooklyn View Post

I've been super nesty since we just moved a few weeks ago from an apartment to a house, but it's been so snowy and we only have one car that I haven't been able to make the shopping trips I want...new curtains, a couple rugs, lamps...things that would make things look "right." And of course I want to be moving things around, which I know I shouldn't, but it's hard not to when I know THAT CHAIR NEEDS TO BE OVER HERE OR I WILL FEEL WEIRD ALL DAY! nut.gif

You can move the furniture. :)  I waitressed during my whole first pregnancy, rode horses during my second, played softball and baseball during my third, and this pregnancy I'm moving heavy patients around. My mom planted trees and chopped firewood during two perfect pregnancies. You and your bean will be just fine if you drag a few pieces of furniture around the house. :)  The physical exertion, IMO, is way less damaging than the mental distress that comes from having misplaced items! lol

Jenni

#10 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM

hahaha...yes, i've been moving as much as feels okay for my back. it's too hard to just sit around all day with a house full of boxes and misplaced furniture. i can relax when i start to feel gigantic. :) 

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#11 of 25 Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Just wanted to clarify, if I had to leave home to get a lot of this stuff done, it wouldn't happen, I've almost exclusively been shopping online. With almost no energy required, it's a preggo's DREAM! lol. Cloth diaper stash is 90-100% there, my wrap stash is um, large you could say :-) I need to get some newborn summer clothes I like, but I'm going thrifting with my Mama friends next week so I hope to get a lot of it done then. We're trying to move which is kind of crazy, and involves selling our place now, but I'm just not thinking about it.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#12 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Last night I read this post and was like oh I bet I will start nesting soon. Well, it was like by reading you guys talk about it made me start thinking about all there is to do. So today, I started nesting bad!! I went to a used baby clothing store and bough a ton of stuff. I have been shopping online for most of the day and made a list of everything we need to get and do. I have to say I really need to start buying CDs but, i just haven't been able to decide which is best for me. I know I will buy prefolds so I guess I could at least order them but, I haven't decided on covers. Luckily, we still have tons of time and I need to keep reminding myself of that. Will any of you be having a shower? My friend is throwing me one in a few months since we didn't save anything from dd1. I think I should wait until after the shower to buy the bulk of stuff but, its hard to resist. I will second what you guys said about doing most the shopping online due to not feeling well and also most the stuff I want to get I cannot get at the stores around.

#13 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Nesting and moving out don't go well together. My home is in chaos, soon I'll be living between homes. The settling in won't be so bad - physically difficult but satisfying. I was packing the last half of the massive amounts of books my kids have, feeling grateful that was almost ever when I remembered the three bookshelves upstairs never mind the cookbooks. And all the other stuff and the dusty floor and absolutely nothing being in its place.    

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#14 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4mady View Post

Will any of you be having a shower? My friend is throwing me one in a few months since we didn't save anything from dd1. I think I should wait until after the shower to buy the bulk of stuff but, its hard to resist. I will second what you guys said about doing most the shopping online due to not feeling well and also most the stuff I want to get I cannot get at the stores around.

I have been told by two different friends that I'll be having a shower, so two separate ones. One will be with my school family (my fellow nursing students) since there are 56 of us total and that's a LOT! The other will be for my other friends, family, neighbors, church family, etc. I'm really really trying not to buy anything else until after the showers, but it's hard to wait! In the mean time I think I'll satisfy some of my urge to shop by getting a couple more maternity items. My regular clothes really aren't fitting all that well and I can't wear yoga pants forever.

Jenni

#15 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Since the US a few days ago I've been rarin' to go shopping, but I'm trying to keep a lid on it.  I was okay before finding out the sex, but now that I know it's like the flood gates have opened, and I keep thinking of things she'll need, things she'll "need", things I want... eyesroll.gif  We'll be moving within a month of LO's birth, though, which has helped me chill out a bit as I really don't want to have a bunch of baby stuff to pack and ship.  So instead I have lists and registries all over keeping track of stuff I'll want to buy once we get settled in our new (and hopefully more permanent) city.

I find myself walking around the apartment trying to think of things I can clean or fix or sort, but it's small and we don't have that much stuff so it's pretty much all done.  I've organized my spices twice already, and I've gotten pretty gung-ho about clearing out closets to get rid of stuff we didn't wear before and probably won't be wearing any time soon.  Since we won't really have a nursery til after the move this is my way of getting ready and making space, I guess.  It makes sense in my head, anyway!

#16 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM

I'm thinking no shower for us. We had 3 when DS was born almost 3 years ago. I saved all of his stuff. I have several friends who are done having kids who have offered me their girl clothes and opposite season boy clothes (DS was a Feb baby). I recently got a nicer bouncy seat for a baby I was sitting. Really, the only big thing I want is a video monitor. Thinking I can have the family go in on that.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#17 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 PM

You guys are killing me! I am such a nester, usually I have a long list of things I want to buy, need, acquire, fix, tidy, and organize. I can't until we close on the house, I feel in such limbo. I did get new beds for my 1y/o and 2y/o so that was part of my nesting. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#18 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 PM

I truly have almost nothing to buy for this new babe except for a carseat. And I really don't need one of those, but my infant seat is 4years old and had lots of wear with the other kiddos. We really have everything we need-having 3 babies in 4 years makes it easy to reuse everything.

I am, however, nesting like crazy- I am attempting to sew all of the kids spring and summer clothes!!! I want to start a children's clothing business in a couple of years and need lots of practice. I am going to make some new diapers and wipes, too, and maybe some soakers. I have a pretty good stash of mama cloth, but could use some heavy duty pads for the first few postpartum days so I will probably make those, too. I was thinking of making a pull-on type of well padded underwear to use instead of snap on pads. Might be more comfy and easier to change.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#19 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I truly have almost nothing to buy for this new babe except for a carseat. And I really don't need one of those, but my infant seat is 4years old and had lots of wear with the other kiddos. We really have everything we need-having 3 babies in 4 years makes it easy to reuse everything.

I am, however, nesting like crazy- I am attempting to sew all of the kids spring and summer clothes!!! I want to start a children's clothing business in a couple of years and need lots of practice. I am going to make some new diapers and wipes, too, and maybe some soakers. I have a pretty good stash of mama cloth, but could use some heavy duty pads for the first few postpartum days so I will probably make those, too. I was thinking of making a pull-on type of well padded underwear to use instead of snap on pads. Might be more comfy and easier to change.

I know I saw a WAHM somewhere who makes post partum pads that have a space to put a little reusable ice pack for those first days. If I had sewing skillz, I'd make a couple of those.

#20 of 25 Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM

Definitely nesting and have accumulated a lot of clothes for this baby boy--especially winter clothes. Regarding all the girl clothes that I have from my DD, should I just keep them in the hopes that we will have another girl or baby at all?? Or should I sell/consign them? I have a ton. ton. ton. All name brand too. Most never worn---eek! My family freaked when I had a girl (6 nephews) and bought clothes out the ying yang. What would you ladies do???

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#21 of 25 Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Definitely nesting and have accumulated a lot of clothes for this baby boy--especially winter clothes. Regarding all the girl clothes that I have from my DD, should I just keep them in the hopes that we will have another girl or baby at all?? Or should I sell/consign them? I have a ton. ton. ton. All name brand too. Most never worn---eek! My family freaked when I had a girl (6 nephews) and bought clothes out the ying yang. What would you ladies do???

Go through the girl stuff and pick out your favorites from each age group, maybe 10 or 15 items each size, and store them in one of those big rubbermaid totes. The rest I'd consign. We have a store here called Kid to Kid that takes clothes, toys, other baby/kid stuff, etc, and you can get store credit for other items. I'm sure there is something like that where you live.

Speaking of Kid to Kid, I just went shopping there. I went in for maternity stuff, but they had NOTHING in my size that I liked so I ended up with baby clothes instead. lol

Jenni

#22 of 25 Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Having the US and finding out a girl is baking seriously kicked in my nesting.  I went through all of DS's clothes over the weekend and pulled out tons that I want to sell on Craiglist so that I can pay for the fabric I found to decorate DD's nursery. 

Also, over the weekend I started boxing up a ton of books.  We're having to change our office into the nursery, and I plan on moving shelving around some in the nursery, some in DS's room, and I want to paint all of that.  I also started going through DS's toys and books as to weed through junky kind of stuff, stuff he's to old for, etc. Once I get the shelves painted I hope to organize all of that.

I also have been having this huge crafty urge that I did not have with DS.  That is why I've decided to order fabric and make lots of stuff for the baby. 

I only get like this when I'm preggers.  I wish that it would happen during my non-preggers life!!

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#23 of 25 Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I would keep them for a while. You never know what can happen! We thought we were done after 2 but here we are with a surprise #3 on the way (and actually thinking about a 4th!!!). In a year or so if you are still feeling like you do not want any more babies, maybe someone you know will need the clothes? Or you can sell them on Craigslist. But I would definitely wait a couple of years.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#24 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Well, I went through the two tubs of summer/spring things and ended up keeping about 50% and am taking the other to Once Upon a Child this weekend. I called to make sure of what they were looking for, and she was rude! I know they aren't taking everything, but geez louise. I'm hoping to make a little money to make up for what I've spent on this little boy's winter stash already :) :)

Going through all of those clothes was an emotional rollercoaster! I didn't think I was attached to clothes and things but holy cow, I miss my little DD being a newborn :( Also... I was appalled at how many clothes I had for the first year of her life! The majority haven't even been worn. All the things I could have used the money for..... Oh well!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#25 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also... I was appalled at how many clothes I had for the first year of her life! The majority haven't even been worn. All the things I could have used the money for..... Oh well!

I know exactly what you mean! That's one of my parenting lessons that I'm doing my best to remember. They grow fast, they don't need a lot of clothes (especially summer babies) and half the stuff you get ends up not being worn anyway. The problem is that baby clothes are so dang cute that it's hard not to buy a bunch of them!

Jenni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page