Uncontrollable shivering at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please tell me I'm not the only one that gets this.  It happened in my last pregnancy too, but I wrote it off as a normal pregnancy symptom, but this time I googled it out of curiousity (should never have done that!) and it is not considered a common pregnancy symptom.  What happens is that I sometimes (maybe twice this pregnancy) have woken up feeling a little chilled and then I start shivering violently for 5-10 minutes.  For those 5-10 minutes I feel like I will never get warm and like my body is crashing.  I eventually warm up and fall back to sleep.  It's weird and scary.  My bedroom is set at 72, I sleep with my husband and DS, with a down comforter and a fuzzy blanket and flannel sheets, so I am definitely not too cold at night.  My blood pressure is generally low, and even lower in the second tri.  Also, my blood sugar may get low in the night...I still have morning sickness, so often I can't eat at night and go to bed on an empty stomach. 

Anyone ever have this during pregnancy?  What is the story with it?

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#2 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't gotten anything to the degree that you describe. But I have been cold this pregnancy more often than I get hot. I've struggled with eating and have mostly lost weight so far. And I get shaky and light headed and have to find anything to shove in my mouth. So for me at least I've concluded that it's all blood sugar related. When I couldn't get much food down, I was usually able to get down a glass of juice. Do you think you'd be able to get down a glass of juice before bed? I don't know if it would help or not, but if you could get it down better than food it might be worth a try?

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 PM

Hmm, I only had the uncontrollable shivering when I was having night sweats BEFORE I was preg. this time.  That (and my age) is part of the reason we thought when I missed my period I was starting the entry to menopause. Can't hurt to check with your Dr./midwife.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#4 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 AM

I get cold very easily and get the shivers, but not to the extent you describe. Have you had your iron checked?  When mine is low, I get cold much easier.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#5 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 AM

DDCC.  I have had this happen a few times, too.  I also get really hungry at night, so I wonder if it's related.  Do you feel hungry when these shivering episodes occur?

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#6 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM

It sounds like it might be blood sugar related. I get the shakes when my blood sugar gets too low and I haven't eaten in a while. It doesn't sound like a temperature issue. Low iron could be the culprit as well. Try eating something the next time, something that has a high sugar content or is a simple carb. Orange juice can help too.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#7 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Javilu, I can't say I'm really hungry, because I am still really sick, and part of that for me is a complete lack of appetite.  But, it does seem to happen when I can't eat at night or I vomit up everything I did manage to eat.  So, it is empty stomach related...but, I go to bed 90% of the time with little no food in my stomach because 5-6 is usually the latest I can eat and I don't go to sleep until 11-12.  But, this most recent time, I had eaten potatoes for dinner and none of it stayed in my stomach, so really nothing in my stomach from lunch to 3 am or so when this shivering episode occurred.  I plan to ask my doctor about it at my 20 week appt. next week, I'll let you know what she says.

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#8 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatha5 View Post

Javilu, I can't say I'm really hungry, because I am still really sick, and part of that for me is a complete lack of appetite.  But, it does seem to happen when I can't eat at night or I vomit up everything I did manage to eat.  So, it is empty stomach related...but, I go to bed 90% of the time with little no food in my stomach because 5-6 is usually the latest I can eat and I don't go to sleep until 11-12.  But, this most recent time, I had eaten potatoes for dinner and none of it stayed in my stomach, so really nothing in my stomach from lunch to 3 am or so when this shivering episode occurred.  I plan to ask my doctor about it at my 20 week appt. next week, I'll let you know what she says.

You don't have to be hungry for your body to react to having low blood sugar. Most of us do start feeling hungry when our blood sugar starts dropping below a certain point because that is our natural protection against starvation. However, pregnancy changes the way our bodies work, as I'm sure you know. :)  Since you've been sick and not hungry as a result of your pregnancy, your low blood sugar warning signs can be totally out of whack and you might not get that hungry feeling. I know that I don't get it, I just feel more sick than usual. Or I almost pass out like I did at clinical last week! Not good.

I noticed that eating really small amounts of protein-containing foods seems to help me (a) not be as nauseated all the time and (b) helps ward off all the weird low blood sugar things that come along with pregnancy.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#9 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 AM

For as long as I can remember, even when not pregnant, this has happened to me on occasion. It's interesting to read the responses. I've never really thought about why, just figured it was a weird part of being me. Sometimes all that helps is to get into a very warm shower and stay put until I feel better. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 AM

This happens to me a lot now too. Especially with this pregnancy. I am not having any blood sugar issues, I don't think :) I usually just bundle up and wait it out. But I shiver so hard my muscles ache! Bring on the warm weather!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page