RRL tea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard lots of good reasons to drink RRL tea, so I'm going to try to start drinking some every day.  But I haven't been able to find any in stores around here, so I'll be ordering it online.  I'm worried, though, about just ordering some on the fly without being able to sample it first.  For those of you that drink it, would you share your favorite brand?

#2 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM

I don't have a favorite brand.  I normally get mine in bulk from the local amish community.  It's delicious with a bit of honey.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#3 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 PM

I like this one:
http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=lltht&cn=Raspberry%2C+Red+Leaf

It is fresh and yummy and from a great company!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Red raspberry leaf tea is a wonderful uterine tonic, and great to keep in mind after the birth as well once your menstrual cycle resumes, as it can help balance your hormones as they are trying to adjust.

If you have had a previous birth that was under 3 hours, you may want to consult with your health care provider before drinking much red raspberry leaf tea.

A pregnancy tea with a mix of herbs can also be beneficial, as the herbs often provide essential enzymes, vitamins, and minerals, for instance alfafa provides Vitamin K which can help prevent postpartum hemorrhage and can be a consideration for those planning to refuse the Vitamin K shot for the baby after birth.

My midwife provided a lovely pregnancy tea and then around 32 weeks she added a lot more raspberry leaves to the mix. I had wonderful, quick homebirths! This may also be due to the acupuncture I received starting at 36 weeks, which is another great therapy that can help coordinate the reproductive nervous system for strong, effective contractions and easier births.

#5 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

All of the brands I've tried so far taste great but I always get the Yogi brand since it's organic and the local grocery stores carry it.

Heather geek.gif in stillheart.gif with DH geek.gif  1st baby  stork-girl.gif due end of June h20homebirth.gif
#6 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM

I get mine in bulk at the food coop (much cheaper than buying bagged tea) and mix it with nettle leaves and rose hips. The nettles are common in pregnancy teas, not sure what for....but the rose hips are just for flavor.

raising my two sunshine children.

#7 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post

I get mine in bulk at the food coop (much cheaper than buying bagged tea) and mix it with nettle leaves and rose hips. The nettles are common in pregnancy teas, not sure what for....but the rose hips are just for flavor.

There's a lot of good stuff in nettles, including:

• Flavanoids (These are antioxidants that are also found in rooibos (redbush), black and green teas)
  • Iron
  • Vitamin C
  • Malic Acid (helps the cells to work)
  • Polysaccarides (a complex carbohydrate)

Nettle tea is a great overall healthy tonic, helping your blood cells build, function and circulates properly. Because of its iron content, it helps with anemia.

i mix my rrl with nettles. i haven't started drinking it yet. i can't remember when i did with my last pg. i'm planning to talk to my midwife at our apt. next week about drinking rrl tea.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#8 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM

I found another thread about this:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/347728/red-raspberry-leaf-tea-tribe 

The first page gives this story and suggests this strong RRL tea infusion to drink at the onset of labor which claims a very quick painless birth.  Now, I don't know how painless it can be but I have read enough studies that point to a sure link between routine use of the tea and shorter quicker labors.  I am all for trying the suggestion, cant hurt.

After looking around, the cheapest place I found to buy bulk RRL was the bulk herb store.  However, they are out of stock right now.  It usually goes for a little over 5$ a lb.  Some places charge as much as 20.

For me, it isn't the most delicious tea ever so I like to add other herbs to it.  My midwife suggests adding nettle as well.  There is a brand or organic pregnancy tea that contains spearmint, lemon, and a few mother flavors (as well as other beneficial herbs).  Here is a link to that tea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00014ECZE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001UP35O2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DRP1P4DGDN5RZ9MVFBR 

You can buy 6 boxes at once through amazon under a different listing at a good discount.  Many women said that though it is good that way, you go through it too fast and was cheaper to buy bulk loose leaves.  The convenience of the bags though may be best for some. 

My midwife says you are to drink 1 cup first tri, 2 cups second, and 3 cups daily in the third.  So, you see by the end, you would go through the boxes fast as there are only 16 bags in each 5$ box. 

I want to try that strong infusion during labor though.  Very curious to see if it works. 

Oh, and as a side note, I read several posts that many women noticed increased milk supply that started drinking it after the birth.  So, I suppose if you were already drinking it, you could end up with a better supply.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#9 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM

I ordered the traditional medicinals one that was listed above. I have had it before and it wasn't too bad.

I am 23 w and am drinking 1-2c per day right now... I am going to try to increase for the 3rd trimester.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#10 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM

I drank RRL during my first pregnancy and am drinking it up with this one as well.  I find that most RRL tastes very similar.  I prefer bulk since its fresher and cheaper!  I also tend to make more of an infusion rather than a tea and steep a handful for 3-8 hours.  Yum yum :)

I've been adding nettles to my infusions too since it's supposed to help build the blood.  My midwife has a close eye on my platelets and I *really* want to have this baby at home.

Cheers teapot2.GIF

#11 of 15 Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

i tried this during my last labor. the infusion is really strong so i mixed it with lots of honey. i was induced b/c ds was 2 weeks late and after 37 hrs needed a c/s. i don't attribute any of this to the tea. ds was not in a good position to be born (face presenting) and i believe he wasn't ready. i am planning on trying this again this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

I found another thread about this:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/347728/red-raspberry-leaf-tea-tribe 

The first page gives this story and suggests this strong RRL tea infusion to drink at the onset of labor which claims a very quick painless birth.  Now, I don't know how painless it can be but I have read enough studies that point to a sure link between routine use of the tea and shorter quicker labors.  I am all for trying the suggestion, cant hurt.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#12 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 PM

DH picked up my herbs for me the other day, and I'm on Day 2 of RRL. To 2+ cups of water (the minimum to steep properly in my Bodum tea press), I've been doing 2 heaping tsp of RRL, 1/2 tsp nettles, and 1 tsp of peppermint. It's pretty good, actually. The massive RRL thread made it sound like it would be dreadful! It's mild, so quite drinkable. I usually brew my flavored black or rooibos teas rather strong and sip them throughout the morning, but I can basically chug a cup or two of RRL pretty quickly. I'll talk to my doula about if I should be upping the strength or not.

#13 of 15 Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I like this one:
http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=lltht&cn=Raspberry%2C+Red+Leaf

It is fresh and yummy and from a great company!

I get mine here as well & love it--I add alfalfa & nettles to it too (both of which I also buy from Frontier)

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#14 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

I love RRL tea.  I drink about 2 cups a day right now.  I drank RRL tea in my first pregnancy from the second trimester.  I still had a long labor, but pain was very manageable, which I attribute to the tea.  This pregnancy I drink a mix of mostly red raspberry, alfalfa, peppermint and nettle.  Taste pretty good. 

#15 of 15 Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Okay, I shopped around for quite a while before decided what to get.  I knew it would be better to get loose tea for cost and I knew I wanted to add the other herbs my midwife suggested along with the RRL such as nettles and alfalfa, oatstraw, and I wanted a few just for the taste since the last time I tried RRL tea I hated the bitterness of it.  The only herbal tea I ever enjoyed was Celestial Seasonings "Sleepytime Tea".  Didn't think any combination of herbs I did would taste as good.

The pricing on all the diffferent herbs I wanted to use to make my own blend was really adding up.  Too expensive.  Then I found a link someone else posted for where they got their blend.  A lady on Etsy (seller name "teasandtapestries") makes her own tea blends and one is a pregnancy tea.  Here are the ingredients:

Organic Ingredients: Raspberry Leaf, Nettle Root, Lemon Balm Leaves, Oat Tops, Alfalfa Leaves, Strawberry Leaves, Rose Hips, Rose Petals, Ginger, Peppermint Leaves, Chocolate Mint Leaves

I just got it in yesterday and had my first cup today.  I was surprised by the smell and taste.  It was wonderful!  Only very faint mint (sometimes it can be too much in teas) it was very mild and nice.  I drank it without any sweetener no problem!  I highly reccomend this tea and it was much easier than buying all those herbs myself.  She took a custom order for me and made me a larger amount. 

If anyone is looking for a blend that has all the right stuff in it and tastes great without costing a fortune here is the link and it lists plenty of info on each herb and what they are for.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/64313289/organic-pregnancy-blend-for-pregnant 

And here is the link to her store in case that one sells and disappears later.

http://www.etsy.com/people/teasandtapestries?ref=ls_profile  

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page