What will I need for a "Summer baby"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Though this is my 6th child, I have only had winter/fall babies and fall up here is already super cold.  I have never had a summer baby.  What will I need for the first month or two clothes wise?  It gets fairly warm here chicago area but if inside with A/C I imagine I may need more than just onesies still but probably can skip on fleece one pieces. 

Anyone who has had summer babies in the north offer some suggestions on what I will need? 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM

My first was a summer babe (early July). I did lots of onesies/t-shirts and t-shirt material type caps. And still did the lightweight pull-on jersey/knit pants and had some sleepers for night/evening when it was cool. And I also almost always put him in socks as his little feet always seemed cold no matter what the temp. So, think lighter weight versions of what you'd use for a fall/winter baby. I also did lots of lightweight blankets to cover/cuddle up if he was chilly.

For this babe (due mid-June), I am going to do about the same. And some short sleeve 'gowns' for easy diaper changes :)

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM

I did lots of onsies, but I find that the a/c makes the baby very cold and wakes it up every time it comes on.  SO frustrating.  I would recommend some type of blanket sleeper that you can take on and off as necessary.  Ditto on the sock thing, too!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My DS was summer baby and our upstairs (where we slept) was always pretty hot. So he slept in a lightweight kimono-style t (for easy access diapers) and then he was swaddled in a lighter weight receiving blanket. He also co-slept, so he would've worn more if he'd been further away from me. But I loved the super light receiving blankets because I could swaddle him when he needed it, but it wasn't too thick for summer.

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#5 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 AM

amen on the lightweight swaddling blankets. I just wish I could find some! everything out is so thick and "fuzzy". I know that I will end up using mine from when I was a child:) But it's always nice to have a spare...

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#6 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

amen on the lightweight swaddling blankets. I just wish I could find some! everything out is so thick and "fuzzy". I know that I will end up using mine from when I was a child:) But it's always nice to have a spare...

If you have a Ross anywhere near you, check them out. The one by my house had several of the lighter weight blankets, plus the little flannel receiving blankets.

My daughter was born in July, in Oregon, and we didn't have A/C so that wasn't an issue for me. However, being that we were up in the mountains, a 95 degree day would turn into a 50 degree night so I needed to have warm fuzzy sleepers, even in the middle of a hot summer. Now that we're in Texas, where the temps don't really drop, I'll have more of the lightweight sleeper stuff for this little guy. We do have central air, but we keep it set to around 77 as the lowest temp. That's cooler than 95, but still not cool enough for fuzzy jammies. Plus we'll be cosleeping so he'll be all nice and toasty warm.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#7 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I just ordered this set of blankets http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/itemdisplay.aspx?ID=167&SKU=9201. They are super thin and lightweight. The material is super soft and stretches to get a tight swaddle. I think they will be prefect for a summer baby and they are so pretty.

#8 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM

I LOVE aden + anais.  They have some beautiful muslin sets, too.  I have them on my amazon registry, but I want to buy them now so I can snuggle with them.  :)

#9 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh wow. Those muslin blankets are adorable. They have a lot of great prints. I may have to order some!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#10 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Great thread...I have been wondering the same thing.  I was thinking that a lot of onsies and light gowns were in my future.  I was also thinking about making some lighter weight receiving blankets. 

Off to go check out Aden & Anais.

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#11 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM

What would the measurements be on a receiving blanket?  I've never seen one laid out but I really like the idea of making my own!  What type of material are you thinking for summer?

Heather geek.gif in stillheart.gif with DH geek.gif  1st baby  stork-girl.gif due end of June h20homebirth.gif
#12 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2bJune2011 View Post

What would the measurements be on a receiving blanket?  I've never seen one laid out but I really like the idea of making my own!  What type of material are you thinking for summer?

I think they're typically about 36x36 inches. But if you're making your own you could go bigger if you wanted. I'll probably sew a few of my own as well. I'm just going to get some lightweight flannel and hem the edges.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#13 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks! smile.gif

Heather geek.gif in stillheart.gif with DH geek.gif  1st baby  stork-girl.gif due end of June h20homebirth.gif
#14 of 21 Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Yup 36x36. Square is best for the easiest swaddling.  36x45 would be a yard of fabric and more of a 'crib size' type blanket.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#15 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Square sizes always seem to work best.  And, I want some big ones.  If you search around on the web there are lots of great easy tutorials for making them.

#16 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 AM

My DS was a summer baby also, and another thing I didn't think about was a baby wearing option.  I got a black moby which I loved when it started to get cooler, but it was way to hot for summer walking (or hanging out in my non-airconditioned house).  I experimented with slings and other carriers.  I got an ergo sport which seemed to be about the coolest method of transport.  But I still don't have a great idea for how I am going to wear this baby through the hot summer months.  Anyway, something else to have on the radar.

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#17 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 AM

DD was a February baby, so it's great to read the summer tips!

As far as swaddling, I am in LOVE with the Miracle Blanket. It's a lightweight cotton, fabulous swaddling blanket that Does. Not. Come. Off. Love it. It's the only thing I give for baby showers now, and would be a nice weight for summer. Not going to lie; it looks like a straightjacket and we called DD "the burrito" once she was all wrapped up, but she loved it, I loved it, and I think the price is reasonable ($25 on sale, I think?). Just ordered 3 for two upcoming baby showers and an extra to keep on hand. I had 2 for DD and might keep the third for this baby. Plus, they're just nice people to work with and really appreciate the business.

http://www.miracleblanket.com

#18 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Oh My!! I love these swaddlers! Def going to have to get some! As for the carrier siuation, you think the Moby will be too hot?? I saw some lighter weight ones...but now I can't remember the name. I definitely will be wearing this little man bc we are going on vacation 6 weeks after he's born----not my idea, thanks MIL :(  I also think she wants to take a cruise to the Caribbean..so the heat will definitely be an issue... I have got to start shopping for these things!

Is there a no-sew way to make a good swaddling blanket? I don't have my machine anymore :(

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#19 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM

It's the gypsy momma bali stretch wrap! That's what I was thinking about getting. Should be great for that 0-6 months stage when they like to be all squished inside a nice wrap!

#20 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:

It's the gypsy momma bali stretch wrap! That's what I was thinking about getting. Should be great for that 0-6 months stage when they like to be all squished inside a nice wrap!

I just looked these up because I hadn't heard of them and I want one! I love the designs!! Thanks for the info love.gif

#21 of 21 Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Oh My!! I love these swaddlers! Def going to have to get some! As for the carrier siuation, you think the Moby will be too hot?? I saw some lighter weight ones...but now I can't remember the name. I definitely will be wearing this little man bc we are going on vacation 6 weeks after he's born----not my idea, thanks MIL :(  I also think she wants to take a cruise to the Caribbean..so the heat will definitely be an issue... I have got to start shopping for these things!

Is there a no-sew way to make a good swaddling blanket? I don't have my machine anymore :(

I would look around at the fabric and see if you can find any light kind that may not fray and then do your own hand, blanket stich around the edges.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page