When would you start to worry?... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far in this pregnancy everything has been fine, different, but fine. Over the last week my Braxton Hicks have gotten worse. As in stronger, longer, more frequent, and today- painful. Not as in I have to sit down and catch my breath, but as in - "ouch that hurts and feels exactly like a mild contraction". I've done everything I know to do, drink water, lay down, relax, etc and they haven't let up all day. Also today I have been having some "crampy/stabbing" pains. These pains aren't terribly low on the belly, but kind of in the middle and on my back.

Now that I have whined and complained enough :) What do you think this is? And when should it worry me enough to make a midwife appt? Thanks!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM

hug.gif mama, sorry you are going through this!

i don't know what it is, but if you are remotely concerned, you should call your midwife. that's why she's there!

lots of love...

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I would start to worry at "painful". Call your midwife. It might be fine, but definitely call.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:28 PM

I agree.  Worse thing that can happen is that she tells you that you're fine.  That's what she's there for.  Good luck and sorry you're having such a tough time!  Keep us informed!

Married to DH (1/07) Failed IVF with ICSI (11/08) Weight Loss surgery (06/10) 1st BFP EVER!! (9/10) Due (6/11)
Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 AM

Have a warm bath and call your midwife. When I was experiencing premature, mildly painful, regular contractions, my midwife suggested I take oral magnesium. Magnesium is a mineral that naturally acts as a muscle relaxant, and it worked for me. Ask your midwife if she thinks this would be a good idea for you.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 AM

I have an irritable uterus and actually get painful braxton hicks pretty much most evenings....

now Im not saying don't make the phone call to your care provider....a cervical check is in order to rule out possible premature labor but I can tell you what helps me and you might be able to rule it out yourself

gatorade...gatorade helps about 900 times more than just plain old water..there are probably more natural ways but gatorade works almost instantly for me

water, stay hydrated

relax with your feet up

magnesium was already mentioned and its a fantastic muscle relaxant, really explore that..my legs and sleep are very happy I did

epsom salts baths (magnesium sulfate)

swimming in a pool << I have no idea why this helps but if I have any edema the braxton hicks are worse..thats the only connection I have been able to make...be submerged in cool water nixes the edema

I just wanted to pipe in and say that even if they are run of the mill braxton hicks...they can be painful and if thats the case I commiserate

Old 02-05-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! They have let up a little... but still are really starting to bother me! The baby is moving a lot still, so I'm sure there isn't anything wrong. I am definitely going to try to gatorage and magnesium! I think I'll make a call on Monday to ask the Midwife if she thinks I should do anything differently. Thanks again! It was reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one :)

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

You can also add a calcium supplement and a potassium supplement if you aren't already taking them. And I would take the mag, cal, and potassium at bedtime because they'll make you sleepy. I have restless leg syndrome that is pregnancy induced and the only thing that helps is taking mag, cal and potassium every night. You can also drink coconut water because it has a TON of potassium in it. Muscle cramps are usually caused by an imbalance of one, two, or all 3 of these minerals. Since you can only get potassium through your diet, and we often don't get enough, hypokalemia (low potassium levels) are a major reason for pregnancy-related cramps - both in your belly and in your calves at 2 am.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

User Tag List