Fellow Crafters - Watcha making? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Anyone started any projects for our June babies? I'm a knitter.  Feels weird to say that because I'm very much a beginner. My current project is forcing me to go beyond knit and purl and I spent hours wanting to throw my needles out the window and burn my yarn! LOL - but I finally had my "aha moment" and figured out what I needed to in order to continue with my project. I'm doing Ugg-style baby booties for my LO.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babybootiesugg.htm

I'd love to knit a baby blanket and a pair of longies. I don't know if I'll have time though. I'm an extremely slooooow knitter. I think it's from too little practice. My goal is to knit Christmas gifts for my family this year.

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#2 of 75 Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to do all wool covers, so I have some work ahead of me. Right now, I'm doing tons of knits for trades. It's how I got most of my cloth diaper stash. I'm getting ready to dye some yarn to do a couple of customs for Hypnobabies. Really excited about that. I'll be dyeing some OBV and doing wipes. I'll also be doing a mattress pad, but all that is just serging.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#3 of 75 Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM

I don't know if I really have anything to make for this babe - I went kinda crazy last time around and have a ton of diapers, onsies and blankets that I made. I think I am going to concentrate on getting my older kids outfitted for the summer and complete some home improvement projects that have been lingering. I am going to try to find the time to make a few maternity things for the last 6 weeks or so when I know I will be so big that nothing I currently have will even come close to fitting! Maybe I will try to make some underwear for myself with a 'built-in" pad for the first few days postpartum when the bleeding is heaviest.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 75 Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 PM

I'll be sewing some receiving blankets, finishing off a Christmas stocking to match my big kids' stockings, and painting some small canvases to match whatever bedding I end up buying. Other than that, I'm not doing any other crafting. I know I won't have the time.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 75 Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have a LOT of sewing on the go due to the baby, although not all of it's for the baby - some of it is just in acknowledgement of the fact that I won't have the time or energy to sew for DD once he's born!

So, on my to-do list I have:

For DD:

a winter coat (made with this awesome wool plaid I found at a thrift store for $2.50!)

two fairy costumes for her dance class (one will be a birthday present)

at least one of two quilts - I have fabric for a flannel one and a cotton one - for her toddler bed, which she'll hopefully be sleeping in more often when the baby comes!

a winter pinafore

a few winter tops

a really cute vintage dress from a pattern Mum gave me

a backpack for our trip to Disneyland in December

For the new baby (a boy):

a whole bunch of shirts, mostly made out of old men's shirts, if I can cadge some off family/friends/Freecycle

a whole bunch of little shorts, trousers, rompers etc

some onesies, if I can find a good pattern and fabric

a woven wrap (basically made by cutting a piece of stretchy fabric in half, so I should be able to manage that!)

a mei tai (I'm halfway through making it, and it's gonna be AWESOME!)

a knitted kimono-type top (halfway through)

some knitted baby hats

knitted bootees or socks, if I can gain teh skillz

Basically, enough clothes to last him for the first six months of life. :p

For me:

a maternity top I started making, and really need to finish before I outgrow it!

a maternity dress I started making, and really need to finish before I outgrow everything else and have nothing to wear!

a maternity/nursing nightie, out of some blue spandexy stuff I bought on a whim upon discovering I was pregnant, but don't really want to wear outside the house

a stretchy winter maternity dress, out of some red jersey I found at an op shop

For DH:

His Christmas present! A manly apron with embroidered tools all over it. I didn't get around to finishing it before Christmas, but I really should get on with it...

"Other":

A bag/pouch thing to hang down the back of the front seat of the car, so DD can reach a water bottle and books and things from her seat. Possibly two, for when the baby gets bigger.

Then after I have the baby, I'll need to find the time to make a few clothing items for me before our Disneyland trip - things I need a waist for, so I can't make them ahead of time! I have the fabric for a cool utility skirt full of pockets and zips and buckles; and a fabric and pattern for a cute 50s-style dress, which will require considerable alteration so I can breastfeed in it. And I want to make DD a red polka-dot dress like Minnie Mouse's, to wear to Disneyland. :)

Will I get even 25% of this done? Chances are slim, especially if I keep fainting every time I try to press a seam. Oh well. Dream big, end up with an awesome stash and a load of guilt, that's me.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 75 Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM

here's a photo of a blanket i'm crocheting. well, i'd like to say i'm crocheting it, but i haven't done more than 4 rows since i-don't-know-how-long-ago! i do hope to get it done by june :) it is wool & cotton blend in a trinity lace pattern, and my first big crochet project...

Photo on 2011-02-05 at 13.18.jpg

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#7 of 75 Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 AM

I have got a list or projects that I want to do, but haven't started any of them.  I think I am going to go on and get the yarn to make this blanket:

baby blanket.jpg

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#8 of 75 Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Yay, a craft thread! I'm working on a baby quilt right now. The top is together, now on to the quilting. love.gif  Hoping to get some other projects started soon.  

For those sewing clothes, diapers, etc., where did you get patterns? Do you buy them? Find online? If so, can you share some links?

Those ugg booties are adorable! Wish I could knit well enough to attempt something like that!  

#9 of 75 Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM

IMAG0304.jpg

This is a finished toddler sized quilt for our baby girl. Also you can see the knit red riding hood bonnet I made for her out of alpaca (still have to sew the button on that one!) 

I am making a few diaper covers (knit and sewn) and my mom has made several knit outfits for her. I have another playmat sized quilt that I will use for the living room and I plan on sewing a few wet bags and maybe a diaper bag if i have time. 

Keep up the good crafting ladies!

#10 of 75 Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM

I love all of these crafty baby things! I really wish I had more time and skills to be able to do things like this. I will probably make at least a small quilt for baby, since I made one for my kids and all of my sister's kids. And I will need something to do this summer after school is out and before baby is born.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#11 of 75 Old 02-07-2011, 04:00 AM

yay for baby crafts! Knitter here. So far I've made a baby sweater (I made the 6-9 month size, so hopefully it will fit sometime after the weather gets a bit cooler), and a baby toy. I'm just starting a pair of booties today-ish. I've also made a couple things for myself ;-) 

Crafting feels so good, doesn't it? And I must say, I love.gif ravelry. Anyone else post info about their projects there?

Here's a photo of the sweater I made for our junebug:

Photo 263.jpg

erigeron likes this.

hi!

#12 of 75 Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 AM

homestyle, I just recently discovered ravalry.  Good stuff.  And, that sweater is adorable.

#13 of 75 Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Oh my, Elisabeth, that little red sweater is just adorable! I am in awe of your knitting abilities!!!

I should have a few things done by the end of this week. Hopefully. Maybe next week. Or by spring. Yeah, that's kind of how its going here eyesroll.gif !!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#14 of 75 Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM

I soooo love that little red sweater!!

I went to the fabric store today after looking at some quilt patterns online. I got a few different fabrics to make my little man a quilt. I'm going with a green, brown, and tan monkey theme and I think it will be super cute! I haven't decided for sure which pattern I'm doing yet, which I probably should have done before buying fabric, lol. But I have 5 yards of fabric so I'm thinking that will be more than enough for a baby quilt. :)

Jenni

#15 of 75 Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Thanks, ladies! It was my first try at a sweater. I am pretty happy with how it turned out! If you are nervous to take the plunge on a project like a sweater, I'd say just go for it. One great thing about making baby stuff is that it takes a lot less time and resources than adult clothing. Jump in! 

What a super sweet idea to make a baby quilt (yours turned out lovely, SWhite!). Can't wait to see more photos of mama handcrafts!

hi!

#16 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Seeing as how I'm getting laid off in two weeks, I'm going to have more than enough time for all the crafting I was planning on doing.

I'm for sure knitting all the wool soakers I need, using this pattern. Buyer beware, though, I'm finding ridiculous amounts of errors in it, and I find that pretty unacceptable for an established pay-pattern. A couple I recently came across have been corrected on the page I'm linking, but not in the pattern itself, though it should be by now. I can't in good conscience recommend it to a beginner for that reason. The construction for the soaker is otherwise quite good, and sooo cute!

I'm also spinning the yarn for a February Baby sweater, and I have a sleep sack on the go that I'm going to finish soon.

Once that's all done, it's on to the plushies! Yay!

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#17 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM

i feel kinda guilty that the only crafting i've been doing is for gifts for others kids' birthdays, but i knit many baby sweaters when i was pregnant with my son. they are gender neutral because we didn't find out the sex in advance, and since we're not finding out the sex this time either, i  think i will hold tight. if it turns out that i have a girl this time, i may knit a little dress. i love http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTanouk.html. i am dabblersupreme on ravelry for you ravelers out there.

the only things i want to craft for US soon are: a knit crown ala where the wild things are, for my son's birthday, and maybe a memory game for his birthday as well - i just made one as a gift for a birthday party and it came out really cute.

#18 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM

Ohmigosh I LOVE the red sweater!  Did you find the pattern on ravelry? 

So far I've made a couple jumpers, and started cutting out pieces for a little gingham dress.  This one's my favorite:

Ladybugs

I've also started knitting a little sleep bag, which with an envelope neck and and fold-over mitts is by FAR the most complicated thing I've ever made.  But a knitting store near me had a huge Superbowl sale, and I bought some gorgeous alpaca for super-cheap, so I figure... no guts, no glory!  :)  After I finish, I have a pattern for a stuffed giraffe that I think I can pull off.

#19 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

So many talented ladies on here! I'm in awe of all of you. I feel very incompetent, but I know that only continued practice will help me to be better. I had to restart my booties roughly ten times. It's not that it's a hard pattern - it says it's for beginners, but I'm seriously venturing out here. I've only done scarves and hats up to this point! This time I'm having to learn some new skills. Amazing how much a slight slide of the needle the wrong way can seriously screw up your knitting! My booties are still not finished.I have to laugh at this because the pattern says they're a quick knit that can be done in one evening. I'm sure this is true if you're an old pro! Anyways, I have to learn a few more new skills in order to finish the booties and this time I'm going to do the smart thing and knit a practice swatch to learn my new skills on so I don't have to restart my booties again!

I do have some really cute clothing patterns for babies, but I want to wait until we know the gender before I start on those. I'd really really really LOVE to do a quilt, but I don't know how to quilt and frankly I'm scared!

I'm also on ravelry. I kind of forget about it though. But I also forgot about my knitting for a long time. So I may try to get on there more now that I'm knitting again!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#20 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Well, it looks like I'll be getting on the skirties and ruffle butt soakers. We just found out we're having a girl!

Does anyone do handpainted Ts? I'd love to trade for woolies.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#21 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post

I'd really really really LOVE to do a quilt, but I don't know how to quilt and frankly I'm scared!

Quilting is really easy! You can do a simple pattern that only involves sewing straight lines. I'm doing a rail fence quilt, but baby sized. If you'd like me to email you the Excel file that I did my pattern in, I'd be happy to!

I'm not a super great quilter, but I'm good enough for babies. :)

Jenni

#22 of 75 Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM

That jumper is seriously adorable, nikie! You are inspiring me to pull out my poor old sewing machine. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

Ohmigosh I LOVE the red sweater!  Did you find the pattern on ravelry? 

I did! The pattern is called 'autumn leaves', if I remember correctly. You can find my notes & link to the original (free) pattern on ravelry -- I'm under homestyle on there, too.  

hi!

#23 of 75 Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Quote:

I'd really really really LOVE to do a quilt, but I don't know how to quilt and frankly I'm scared!

Quilting is really easy! You can do a simple pattern that only involves sewing straight lines. I'm doing a rail fence quilt, but baby sized. If you'd like me to email you the Excel file that I did my pattern in, I'd be happy to!

I'm not a super great quilter, but I'm good enough for babies. :)

I would be really interested in your pattern.  I was actually thinking of trying my hand at making a quilt for DS.  Sort of a present for him too so he doesn't feel so left out with everything being about baby for the next few months.

#24 of 75 Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Here is an image of the quilt pattern. I actually modified it from this pattern: http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/Absolute2BlueWinter.htm

I like the way the two quilt blocks look in the original quilt, but I wanted to do all Rail Fence instead of mixing the Rail Fence and the Nine Patch. However, that basic quilt pattern on that link is a great thing to bookmark because it has 2 really simple quilt blocks. I made Nine Patch quilts for my other kids when they were babies and for my sister's oldest. I wanted to try something different this time.

Rail Fence Baby Quilt.pdf

Jenni

#25 of 75 Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the link! I think I might like to try this one. It says it's for absolute beginners. I watched a youtube video on how to cut the quilt fabric. It looks like I have to buy some supplies. I have a mat, but not a rotary cutter. It seems doable anyways! Here's a link to one that I'd like to try.

http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/Absolute6SweetBaby.htm

#26 of 75 Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM

That one is really cute too! The quilts that I made for my big kids looked a lot like the Sweet Baby one, except the blocks that have the little corners of different fabric were just solid squares on the one that I did. The blocks with the little squares are called Nine Patch and it's a really simple quilt block and one of my favorites.  :)

Jenni

#27 of 75 Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Jenni - so I have a question about a beginning quilt such as the one that I chose. Let's say I have a day where my rambunctious 3 1/2 year old is with my parents and my hubby leaves me alone (I'm dreaming), how long do you think it would take a beginner to complete this project. I know how to sew a bit. I'll probably have to review my sewing machine manual as it's been awhile. But I don't know much beyond very simple basics. I mean, should I allot days, weeks, or months for this project? I have no idea and it'd be nice to have an idea on the time commitment involved before starting.

#28 of 75 Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Jenni - so I have a question about a beginning quilt such as the one that I chose. Let's say I have a day where my rambunctious 3 1/2 year old is with my parents and my hubby leaves me alone (I'm dreaming), how long do you think it would take a beginner to complete this project. I know how to sew a bit. I'll probably have to review my sewing machine manual as it's been awhile. But I don't know much beyond very simple basics. I mean, should I allot days, weeks, or months for this project? I have no idea and it'd be nice to have an idea on the time commitment involved before starting.

For a baby-sized quilt and basic sewing skills, it will probably take a few weeks to finish. The sewing isn't actually the part that takes a long time, cutting the pieces is fairly time consuming. With that quilt pattern you'll only be sewing straight lines, but it will probably take you a little while to feel like you've hit your sewing stride. I'm staring my quilt now because I'm in school full-time and my big kids have sports. I'll have an hour or two a week to work on the quilt so I want to allow myself plenty of time.

I'm also considering making mine a quilted duvet cover instead of an actual quilt. I would just sew a plain white piece of fabric to the back of the quilt top, then make kind of like a big pillowcase. IKEA has baby comforters that they sell duvet covers for and I like the idea of being able to just take the cover off and wash it. Plus, that saves me the trouble of having to do the quilt edges, which frankly I suck at.

Jenni

#29 of 75 Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Spinnerette-I'm bummed that pattern has so many errors.  What kind of problems does it have? I'm not a beginner, do you think I could manage to figure it out? I really like the look of it. I've been trying to use the Frantic mama pattern but the gauge is just messed up for me. I tried knitting it on size 4s and it the gauge was still too big and I can't see knitting my yarn on smaller needles than that.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#30 of 75 Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM

I downloaded the UGG pattern too, so stink'n cute !
If you are on revelry look for the pinwheel sweater, I'm almost done with the infant size one and it's SO easy and just adorable. I don't typically make stuff for myself b/c I don't have the patience to get through something that big, but my 10 y.o. Asked if i would make matching ones for the three of us. It's simple enough that I'm going to do it smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page