Tell me which you like better - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are having such a hard time deciding on names and we've finally narrowed it down to two names for each gender. This baby will be a surprise so I'd like to have 1 name picked out for each gender by the time he/she comes.

Boy: Blake or Logan

Girl: Alaya or Cailyn

Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM

I like them all. I'm not sure how to say Alaya though

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 PM

I am a fan of Logan.  Probably just because I don't personally know any but my son has 2 blakes in his class.  Love both the girl names.  Cant decide.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't care for either girl name. I don't think anyone will say or spell them correctly.

I love Logan.

Blake flunks the "rhymes with" test of mine..... take, stake, flake, make, fake..etc...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I like Logan and Alaya. At least you got your list narrowed down! :) 

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM

I like Alaya (I'm saying it uh-LIE-uh, is that right?). Cailyn reminds me too much of Kaitlyn, which is way too popular.

I like both of the boys names. I think I like Blake a little better because -an names are so popular.

Way to go. We haven't even discussed names and DH doesn't want to until we find out the gender. I think he thinks all of my ideas are too weird. I do know the middle name already if it's a girl, Barbara after my favorite aunt.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM

I prefer Logan over Blake as well.

The girl names... I don't really like Cailyn. Partly because when you say it, it sounds like "Kay Lynn" which doesn't sound nice to me. Unless I'm saying it wrong and if so, please correct me!

Alaya... how do you pronounce that? It really depends on the pronunciation. All I can think of is when she's in high school and boys making jokes about "laying Alaya" or saying "Alaya, I wanna lay ya". Trust me, they will. My maiden name was Slate and they turned it into Slut, even though I wasn't the slightest bit slutty.

If it's pronounced A-lee-ya then that would be different, and I'd suggested spelling it a little more phonetically because otherwise you'll be constantly explaining either how to pronounce her name or how to spell her name. Most people are not very smart. I mean, I get asked how to spell Jennifer all. the. time. even though it's one of the most common female names in the US.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 AM

I would have to say Logan because that is my youngest daughters middle name.  Except we spell it Logyn.  However it is VERY trendy which we didn't know when we picked it and just found that out as our daughter entered school.  We got the idea from the logan berry not even knowing it was a usual name. Blake is nice also. I don't hear about as many. Is Cailyn pronounce Cay-lin or ky-lin?  I like the Ky-lin better, but it isn't my daughter = )

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Names can be so tough, can't they?  I have a girlfriend named Blake, which I love.  I think it makes a solid boy or girl name.  Knowing how to pronounce the girls' names would help, as others have said. 

Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I\If it's pronounced A-lee-ya then that would be different, and I'd suggested spelling it a little more phonetically because otherwise you'll be constantly explaining either how to pronounce her name or how to spell her name. Most people are not very smart. I mean, I get asked how to spell Jennifer all. the. time. even though it's one of the most common female names in the US.

I get asked how to spell Jennifer too, and it always surprises me!  What the heck, it's not that hard people!

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 AM

DDCC, I like Logan over Blake.  Our boy name is Logan if our baby is a boy.  Of your girl choices, I like Cailyn better.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM

I like both boys' names equally. I like the look of Cailyn better I think, but in my mind it is pronounced ky-lin. smile.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking Alaya would be pronounced (Uh-Lay-Uh) but I never thought about highschool kids being so mean. We haven't decided on whether we're going to homeschool anyhow. Aliyah

(Uh-Lee-Uh) was one of our top choices too but we have an Elizabeth and call her Ellie where I thought that would be too similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post

I like Alaya (I'm saying it uh-LIE-uh, is that right?). Cailyn reminds me too much of Kaitlyn, which is way too popular.

I like both of the boys names. I think I like Blake a little better because -an names are so popular.

Way to go. We haven't even discussed names and DH doesn't want to until we find out the gender. I think he thinks all of my ideas are too weird. I do know the middle name already if it's a girl, Barbara after my favorite aunt.

It sounds just like Caitlyn, but without the T. I don't like the separation of the name (Kay-Lynn) and the emphasis on Lynn. Maybe if I spelled it differently, people would get it so mixed up with Catilyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I prefer Logan over Blake as well.

The girl names... I don't really like Cailyn. Partly because when you say it, it sounds like "Kay Lynn" which doesn't sound nice to me. Unless I'm saying it wrong and if so, please correct me!

Alaya... how do you pronounce that? It really depends on the pronunciation. All I can think of is when she's in high school and boys making jokes about "laying Alaya" or saying "Alaya, I wanna lay ya". Trust me, they will. My maiden name was Slate and they turned it into Slut, even though I wasn't the slightest bit slutty.

If it's pronounced A-lee-ya then that would be different, and I'd suggested spelling it a little more phonetically because otherwise you'll be constantly explaining either how to pronounce her name or how to spell her name. Most people are not very smart. I mean, I get asked how to spell Jennifer all. the. time. even though it's one of the most common female names in the US.

I've never thought Cailyn sounds like Ky-lin, interesting. LIke I said, maybe I should change the spelling. To me, Kylin sounds too much like Guy-linn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

I like both boys' names equally. I like the look of Cailyn better I think, but in my mind it is pronounced ky-lin. smile.gif

Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 AM

I like both of your boy names, but I had a friend named Blake and he really hated his name all through elementary school because everyone called him Blake the Flake (I don't think he was particularly flaky and he was very intelligent).  I only know that he said he would never have chosen the name for himself or his children.  But, if you plan to homeschool this wouldn't be a consideration.

Kids can be so mean.shrug.gif

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 AM

Also, as a slight tweaking of your girl's name, I've always like Alake (ah-LAH-key). haha, it's also kind of a combination of your girl's name and your boy's name. But the same spelling and pronunciation problems...and maybe rhyming issues.

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Kids are mean to each other about their names. Which makes no sense because NONE of them named themselves! Having a middle school son and a daughter who will be in middle school next year has been instrumental in deciding on names. I'll say something and they'll either start making fun of it or they like it. It's a pretty good test, actually.

I think that the Ky-lin pronunciation is really pretty.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM

I love them all, my bil is Blake, and that's my fav!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM

I like Blake but dh has always LOVED Logan because that's Wolverines name! lol

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa7 View Post

I like Blake but dh has always LOVED Logan because that's Wolverines name! lol

And as the sci-fi buff.. we love Logan's Run.

User Tag List