Tell me which you like better - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are having such a hard time deciding on names and we've finally narrowed it down to two names for each gender. This baby will be a surprise so I'd like to have 1 name picked out for each gender by the time he/she comes.

 

Boy: Blake or Logan

Girl: Alaya or Cailyn


Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
#2 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
 
coharmony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like them all. I'm not sure how to say Alaya though


Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
coharmony is offline  
#3 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
 
sharita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a fan of Logan.  Probably just because I don't personally know any but my son has 2 blakes in his class.  Love both the girl names.  Cant decide.


 homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

sharita is offline  
#4 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't care for either girl name. I don't think anyone will say or spell them correctly.

 

I love Logan.

 

Blake flunks the "rhymes with" test of mine..... take, stake, flake, make, fake..etc...

philomom is offline  
#5 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Klynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On a Hill
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like Logan and Alaya. At least you got your list narrowed down! :) 


I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Klynne is offline  
#6 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Bald_Bull's_Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ptown IL
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like Alaya (I'm saying it uh-LIE-uh, is that right?). Cailyn reminds me too much of Kaitlyn, which is way too popular.

 

I like both of the boys names. I think I like Blake a little better because -an names are so popular.

 

Way to go. We haven't even discussed names and DH doesn't want to until we find out the gender. I think he thinks all of my ideas are too weird. I do know the middle name already if it's a girl, Barbara after my favorite aunt.


BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
Bald_Bull's_Mama is offline  
#7 of 18 Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I prefer Logan over Blake as well.

 

The girl names... I don't really like Cailyn. Partly because when you say it, it sounds like "Kay Lynn" which doesn't sound nice to me. Unless I'm saying it wrong and if so, please correct me!

 

Alaya... how do you pronounce that? It really depends on the pronunciation. All I can think of is when she's in high school and boys making jokes about "laying Alaya" or saying "Alaya, I wanna lay ya". Trust me, they will. My maiden name was Slate and they turned it into Slut, even though I wasn't the slightest bit slutty.

 

If it's pronounced A-lee-ya then that would be different, and I'd suggested spelling it a little more phonetically because otherwise you'll be constantly explaining either how to pronounce her name or how to spell her name. Most people are not very smart. I mean, I get asked how to spell Jennifer all. the. time. even though it's one of the most common female names in the US.


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
#8 of 18 Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 AM
 
Buddhamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shambala Acres
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would have to say Logan because that is my youngest daughters middle name.  Except we spell it Logyn.  However it is VERY trendy which we didn't know when we picked it and just found that out as our daughter entered school.  We got the idea from the logan berry not even knowing it was a usual name. Blake is nice also. I don't hear about as many. Is Cailyn pronounce Cay-lin or ky-lin?  I like the Ky-lin better, but it isn't my daughter = )


Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Buddhamom is offline  
#9 of 18 Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 AM
 
cuddlemama0507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:

Names can be so tough, can't they?  I have a girlfriend named Blake, which I love.  I think it makes a solid boy or girl name.  Knowing how to pronounce the girls' names would help, as others have said. 

 

Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

 

I\If it's pronounced A-lee-ya then that would be different, and I'd suggested spelling it a little more phonetically because otherwise you'll be constantly explaining either how to pronounce her name or how to spell her name. Most people are not very smart. I mean, I get asked how to spell Jennifer all. the. time. even though it's one of the most common female names in the US.

 

I get asked how to spell Jennifer too, and it always surprises me!  What the heck, it's not that hard people!




Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
cuddlemama0507 is offline  
#10 of 18 Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 AM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DDCC, I like Logan over Blake.  Our boy name is Logan if our baby is a boy.  Of your girl choices, I like Cailyn better.


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#11 of 18 Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
 
calynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the foot of the Alps
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like both boys' names equally. I like the look of Cailyn better I think, but in my mind it is pronounced ky-lin. smile.gif


Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

calynde is offline  
#12 of 18 Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
grcelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was thinking Alaya would be pronounced (Uh-Lay-Uh) but I never thought about highschool kids being so mean. We haven't decided on whether we're going to homeschool anyhow. Aliyah

(Uh-Lee-Uh) was one of our top choices too but we have an Elizabeth and call her Ellie where I thought that would be too similar.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post

I like Alaya (I'm saying it uh-LIE-uh, is that right?). Cailyn reminds me too much of Kaitlyn, which is way too popular.

 

I like both of the boys names. I think I like Blake a little better because -an names are so popular.

 

Way to go. We haven't even discussed names and DH doesn't want to until we find out the gender. I think he thinks all of my ideas are too weird. I do know the middle name already if it's a girl, Barbara after my favorite aunt.


It sounds just like Caitlyn, but without the T. I don't like the separation of the name (Kay-Lynn) and the emphasis on Lynn. Maybe if I spelled it differently, people would get it so mixed up with Catilyn.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I prefer Logan over Blake as well.

 

The girl names... I don't really like Cailyn. Partly because when you say it, it sounds like "Kay Lynn" which doesn't sound nice to me. Unless I'm saying it wrong and if so, please correct me!

 

Alaya... how do you pronounce that? It really depends on the pronunciation. All I can think of is when she's in high school and boys making jokes about "laying Alaya" or saying "Alaya, I wanna lay ya". Trust me, they will. My maiden name was Slate and they turned it into Slut, even though I wasn't the slightest bit slutty.

 

If it's pronounced A-lee-ya then that would be different, and I'd suggested spelling it a little more phonetically because otherwise you'll be constantly explaining either how to pronounce her name or how to spell her name. Most people are not very smart. I mean, I get asked how to spell Jennifer all. the. time. even though it's one of the most common female names in the US.



I've never thought Cailyn sounds like Ky-lin, interesting. LIke I said, maybe I should change the spelling. To me, Kylin sounds too much like Guy-linn.



Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

I like both boys' names equally. I like the look of Cailyn better I think, but in my mind it is pronounced ky-lin. smile.gif




Grace: Massage Therapist, YL Essential Oils Educator, and busy homeschooling mama to 4 babes.
grcelizabeth is offline  
#13 of 18 Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 AM
 
aleatha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like both of your boy names, but I had a friend named Blake and he really hated his name all through elementary school because everyone called him Blake the Flake (I don't think he was particularly flaky and he was very intelligent).  I only know that he said he would never have chosen the name for himself or his children.  But, if you plan to homeschool this wouldn't be a consideration.

 

Kids can be so mean.shrug.gif


Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
aleatha5 is offline  
#14 of 18 Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 AM
 
aleatha5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also, as a slight tweaking of your girl's name, I've always like Alake (ah-LAH-key). haha, it's also kind of a combination of your girl's name and your boy's name. But the same spelling and pronunciation problems...and maybe rhyming issues.


Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
aleatha5 is offline  
#15 of 18 Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 AM
 
jshannyn519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kids are mean to each other about their names. Which makes no sense because NONE of them named themselves! Having a middle school son and a daughter who will be in middle school next year has been instrumental in deciding on names. I'll say something and they'll either start making fun of it or they like it. It's a pretty good test, actually.

 

I think that the Ky-lin pronunciation is really pretty.


Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

jshannyn519 is offline  
#16 of 18 Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 AM
 
alerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love them all, my bil is Blake, and that's my fav!

alerixon is offline  
#17 of 18 Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
 
RaRa7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like Blake but dh has always LOVED Logan because that's Wolverines name! lol


Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
RaRa7 is offline  
#18 of 18 Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa7 View Post

I like Blake but dh has always LOVED Logan because that's Wolverines name! lol



And as the sci-fi buff.. we love Logan's Run.

philomom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off