Elimination Communication / diaper free baby ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of, done, or doing this ? I heard of it for the first time the other day. At first I thought it was one of those "push your baby before they're ready/modern family convenience trends " but the more I look into it the more it seems to make sense. Just looking for some good info, book suggestions, stories of experience, etc .

Heidi
#2 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Welcome, Heidi!
There is a an entire forum on MDC dedicated to EC - I am sure you would find a wealth of information there!! I considered doing it with my last, but I had a hard time with my 2yo when DD was a newborn that I just couldn't figure out how to make it work for our family. I might give it another shot this time - I know several people who have had great success and I would LOVE to not have diapers to wash every day! My daughter, though, at 18 months is using the potty regularly though still in diapers most of the time. I never really "did" EC - I just kind of started putting her on the potty when I could tell she had to go, maybe starting at 12 months or so. I am hoping she will be out of diapers or close to it by the time this new little one arrives.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#3 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Yeah I'd suggest the EC forum, too. :)

I've had a number of friends totally devoted to it who had AMAZING success. I was doing it briefly with #1 and then we ended up moving and having a lot of stress, so I gave it up. But it was going well.

Intended to try it with #3 but never got the chance due to being generally busy raising an autistic toddler at the same time as having a newborn. Once again I'd like to do it, and hopefully will have the time/energy to devote to it this time since both of my elders are old enough to take care of themselves for long periods of time. The only big obstacle for me is that I am physically disabled and am not capable of racing around the house to buckets, sinks and toilets like other moms are.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#4 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM

i did this part time with ds starting around 3 months. it cut down on my laundry which helped motivate me. i never force him to go, i just put him over the potty when he wakes, says "poo," or before we leave the house. he still wears diapers but some days i can make it with him wearing just 1 which is nice. i am planning on doing this part time with the next lo from birth. i was hoping ds would be out of diapers during the day, but we shall see (he has been potty striking lately with teething).

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#5 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM

I did EC with my son and loved it, and intend to do it again if possible. I third the EC forum here, you will get lots of different perspectives and useful tips there. I started a few days after birth and did it pretty much full-time but was laid-back about it. I thought it was fun and my baby really seemed to prefer being taken to pee/poop rather than doing it in his diapers. I did use diapers quite a bit as backup. We were fairly consistent even early on with only a few misses a day, and he was out of diapers completely by 18 months, except at night, that took a little longer.

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions. I love EC! wink1.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#6 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM

We did it with our daughter from 3 weeks and will definitely do it with this one from birth (assuming I don't have a c-section this time :-).  We were also really relaxed about it.  Dd wore diapers a lot, but was completely out of them during the day at 18 months.  One of the greatest things is that after 6 months, we probably changed about 4 poopy diapers.  I'm so excited about this time as an already "experienced" EC mama :-)

Laura
DD (01.08) and blissfully expecting #2 next June
#7 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ty smile.gif I'm still a bit intimidated by it but looking forward to trying wink1.gif
#8 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We're ECers too :)  I use diapers as back up almost all the time, and had different experiences with both my kids, but I love it.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#9 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM

I am SOOOO keen to try this too - I've found some great anecdotal stories (like these) just by doing a search but am going to head over to the EC forum now that I know there is one! Thanks!

#10 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM

I was intimidated with my first, so didn't start until about 2 months when I was feeling comfortable with nursing and all the other baby learning curve things.  We also did it part time, and usually had a prefold with no cover on at home, putting a cover on when leaving the house.  I eventually discovered Motherease Onesize, my absolute favorite for the walking stage.  Reminds me I should try to find some more used ones before this little one shows up.  I'd love to go full time this time, really see if I can make it work.  I find it's a stretch for my comfort zone, which is good :)

Anyway, wanted to write and say don't sweat it, if you ever find it stressful, just stick on a diaper until you chill out.  The main thing is keeping the idea alive that pee and poop go in a receptacle, and sitting in excrement is unusual.  If that connection remains for kiddo, potty learning makes sense when it happens, rather than "you want me to poop in that? after years of pooping in my pants? at the exact time when I am finding my NO voice?" - so unreasonable.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page