Baby carriers/wraps/slings.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I loved my BabyHawk and found it GREAT for nursing. No cover required, not that I'm a cover kind of gal. I'd just loosen the knot, bounce DS a little lower, so he was at boob height, the tie it again. When he got done, I'd bounce him back up and retie.

My top 2 tips for nursing in a carrier:

1)Wear a shirt that you can pop a boob out the top of or a nursing tank with coverage on top or a shirt that lifts up from underneath your bust. You do not want to be trying to get a full double layer shirt pulled back down while wearing. It's a hassle.

2) Practice at home, preferrably in front of a mirror. I felt so exposed, but when I did it in front of a mirror, I realized that you couldn't see ANYTHING! The carrier, DS and my shirt provided all the coverage I needed. Practicing at home helped me feel like a confident pro when I NIPed. You do not want to be trying to figure out nursing in a carrier at Target while your baby gets increasingly frustrated and cries increasingly louder, attracting more attention to your struggle.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#32 of 37 Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM

those are great tips!  My DD was such a terrible nurser in general, that trying to make it work in public was a frustrating experience. I'm really concentrating on getting a good nursing relationship with this babe, so that it's not a struggle to go anywhere or be around people! I'm actually kind of excited to get to try again, since the first time was not that great. Has anyone tried the nursing tops from Old Navy? They seem like they may be ok... I just hate shirts that aren't long enough! Especially with the baby belly that will be hanging around still....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post

I loved my BabyHawk and found it GREAT for nursing. No cover required, not that I'm a cover kind of gal. I'd just loosen the knot, bounce DS a little lower, so he was at boob height, the tie it again. When he got done, I'd bounce him back up and retie.

My top 2 tips for nursing in a carrier:

1)Wear a shirt that you can pop a boob out the top of or a nursing tank with coverage on top or a shirt that lifts up from underneath your bust. You do not want to be trying to get a full double layer shirt pulled back down while wearing. It's a hassle.

2) Practice at home, preferrably in front of a mirror. I felt so exposed, but when I did it in front of a mirror, I realized that you couldn't see ANYTHING! The carrier, DS and my shirt provided all the coverage I needed. Practicing at home helped me feel like a confident pro when I NIPed. You do not want to be trying to figure out nursing in a carrier at Target while your baby gets increasingly frustrated and cries increasingly louder, attracting more attention to your struggle.

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#33 of 37 Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM

ooooh! those bali breeze are so pretty! they look like exactly what i want. my sister-in-law is in bali right now, i'm gonna see if she can hook me up for less $$.

i also have one more question, does a shorter wrap mean less options for different carries?

#34 of 37 Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

I didn't have a BabyHawk, I had a Kozy, but I think they are very similar. I was definitely able to nurse in it quite easily - like a PP said, I just had to loosen the knot and slide him down a little. I agree it would be easier to wear a nursing tank or something you can pull down rather than up. Then, if you wear a cardigan or button-up shirt over the top of the mei tai you can have pretty much complete coverage on the side too, although that's not really necessary IME.

And I'm no wrap expert, but I can put one on way faster than that lady in the movie. lol.gifwink1.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#35 of 37 Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Have you checked out thebabywearer.com Mama? If not, you totally should!! :-) It's the best babywearing site EVER. It has information on everything and everyone is super, super knowledgable and friendly. There's a really great "choosing and using a wrap" section. There are so many different carries you can do with a wrap, I wouldn't say you can do less with a shorty, depending on the length, it's just different. I like to have a longer wrap and a short one. The fsot board there is also really great for getting deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorgirl View Post

ooooh! those bali breeze are so pretty! they look like exactly what i want. my sister-in-law is in bali right now, i'm gonna see if she can hook me up for less $$.

i also have one more question, does a shorter wrap mean less options for different carries?

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#36 of 37 Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM

If you're going for the bali breeze stretch I might recommend getting a longer length because it's a stretchy, so it can need the extra reinforcement if that makes sense? It really would be the perfect longer wrap for the summer though because it's so thin and breathable. I know the long fabric can seem intimidating but it really is so easy and feels so great. On thebabywearer when you go to choosing and using a wrap, click on chatter- wrappers paradise, there is a thread there entitled "what have you wrapped with today?" if you haven't seen it yet it is so wonderful for checking out new wraps and see how other people do things. A really sweet thread <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorgirl View Post

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#37 of 37 Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM

I love the Beco - after sixteen + years it's the best $ I ever spent on a baby. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page