Mothering Forum banner

Anyone struggling with their weight?

1K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Snowflake777 
#1 ·
Obviously you are going to gain weight in pregnancy, and I am very, very good at that.
winky.gif
My first pregnancy I gained 50 lbs and it took me two years to get it off. Second time around I was diligent about what I ate, vigorously exercised and only gained 25. Still, when I got pregnant this time, 2 1/2 years later, I still hadn't lost that last 8ish pounds. I was still nursing and my body likes to hang on to all kinds of weight nursing. I was pretty much nursing on demand still up until about a month ago when I cut her back because of my lack of sleep and the pain. Now it is about twice a day.

Well, I have gained 8 pounds this month. I want to cry every time I get on the scale. All of my clothes have suddenly started feeling too tight and I'm getting all kinds of comments about how I look ready to pop. I'm 22 weeks and look about the same size as I was at 30 weeks last time around. Not encouraging.

Now this past month I was a terrible eater...way too many sweets. I never eat chips, fries, burgers (I'm vegetarian), or anything like that, but it's been chocolate and cookies. I normally don't really even indulge but once a month in these items, but my husband was informed of a job change and my aunt has been on her death bed. With everything else going on (we have to move about 4 weeks after baby arrives), I'm just stress eating. I'm angry at myself for doing it, but at the same time, I'm having trouble stopping. Ironically, I have been walking (albeit, only a mile) every day this past month, too. Ugh.

I'm just feeling so discouraged and upset with myself right now. It's not because I can't deal with the way I look, it's mostly that I absolutely hate struggling with my weight post-partum. I wish I could get to a gym or something like that, but not only can we not really afford that right now, it's hard with the kids because I have no one to help with them. I literally can never get away and the weather is going to be icky so I can't go outside to walk.

Anyone else feeling discouraged?

See less See more
#27 ·
I'm getting really down about my weight now. I went to see the dietician again today and she put me on the scale (grrr) and I've gained 4lbs in 3 weeks which isn't TERRIBLE, but considering my weight right now it just makes me sad and grumpy. =/ How can I ever lose this after the baby is born! And with the symphisis pubis disorder going on, it's not really realistic to exercise. It's incredibly painful to just WALK. Can you imagine jogging??? While pregnant????

I'm starting to get pretty depressed about it because, although I eat well, I just feel like a stupid fat whale!

#28 ·
I'm so glad to see this out here. I feel like the words can not come out of your mouth before someone is shushing you and shaming you for such a thought. "You're pregnant! You're supposed to gain weight, You're beautiful, It will come off!" It's so frustrating, b/c a little empathy and "I feel ya'" - makes me not feel so crazy. I had a "touch" of eating disorders in my youth and 10+ years later, it took a counselor to point out that the way I thought and my body image issues was a n eating disorder. It was good for me to recognize that if my weight was a trigger to my unhappiness and struggling with those last 10 pounds made me feel not good enough - that that wasn't normal thinking. It's that awareness that's helped me to be kinder to myself through this. I was nursing into this 3rd pregnancy and while I could run a 10k, I was still just over a healthy BMI and had 10 second pregnancy pounds and 5 1st pregnancy pounds that I hadn't conquered. After a frantic first month, I put my scale away and chose to weigh myself on my own standards when I was ready for it. I've checked in 3 times. 5.lbs at 18 weeks and then I jumped 9 more pounds in the last 7 weeks!

But I was able to sit back and own my crappy winter really good Valentine's chocolate baby growing normalcy to it all. And now I'm off the chocolate :))

I'm working with a CPM who has been very kind and understanding about it, but I had my 2nd appointment yet in an OB's office (to build a relationship with a local doc, mostly). Well, I literally had to make a scene to refuse to get on their scale! I weighed myself - just for them that morning. (With my clothes off and before I ate of course! :)

The nurse flapped her wings and got all flabbergasted about what I HAD to do WHERE - and I laughed. I just smiled and said, "Yea, well...that brings me down, so I'm not gonna do that".

It felt pretty good.

#29 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by magreen View Post

I'm so glad to see this out here. I feel like the words can not come out of your mouth before someone is shushing you and shaming you for such a thought. "You're pregnant! You're supposed to gain weight, You're beautiful, It will come off!" It's so frustrating, b/c a little empathy and "I feel ya'" - makes me not feel so crazy.
Here here! I think it's more stuff along the lines of, the baby is all that matters. We shouldn't be worrying about our bodies or gaining weight because that's selfish, and mothers are supposed to be glowing selfless models of sacrifice and putting everyone else first. And hearing dismissive comments just compounds the problem, because then we're feeling bad about gaining weight PLUS feeling bad about feeling bad. Balls to that! Pregnancy is hell on a body, and whereas baby will be moving out in 5 months I'm stuck here for another 50 years or so. I think I'm justified in worrying about what kind of shape it'll be in once it's a single-occupant dwelling again.
orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

I'm getting really down about my weight now. I went to see the dietician again today and she put me on the scale (grrr) and I've gained 4lbs in 3 weeks which isn't TERRIBLE, but considering my weight right now it just makes me sad and grumpy. =/ How can I ever lose this after the baby is born! And with the symphisis pubis disorder going on, it's not really realistic to exercise. It's incredibly painful to just WALK. Can you imagine jogging??? While pregnant????

I'm starting to get pretty depressed about it because, although I eat well, I just feel like a stupid fat whale!
At this point, I can't imagine jogging at all, much less when it feels like glass is being ground up between my pelvic bones. No wonder you don't want to exercise!

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

Here here! I think it's more stuff along the lines of, the baby is all that matters. We shouldn't be worrying about our bodies or gaining weight because that's selfish, and mothers are supposed to be glowing selfless models of sacrifice and putting everyone else first. And hearing dismissive comments just compounds the problem, because then we're feeling bad about gaining weight PLUS feeling bad about feeling bad. Balls to that! Pregnancy is hell on a body, and whereas baby will be moving out in 5 months I'm stuck here for another 50 years or so. I think I'm justified in worrying about what kind of shape it'll be in once it's a single-occupant dwelling again.
orngtongue.gif
Aah, that's so true! I hadn't thought about it that way consciously, but you've put my feelings into words. Thanks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.