insane purging/nesting instincts!! - Mothering Forums
June 2011 > insane purging/nesting instincts!!
Klynne's Avatar Klynne 09:01 PM 02-17-2011

Anyone else feel this strong deep down desire to purge your whole house!? I would be totally fine with this feeling if I could actually declutter something!!  We keep it pretty minimal around here so what's a girl to do?? Maybe I can come to your house?? ;)

I also constantly think about sewing projects for the little one. Burp cloths, duvet covers, knitting a hat.... but I'm only 21 weeks and it seems a bit early to start with all that. 

What are your hormones driving you to do? :)shy.gif

nikie23's Avatar nikie23 05:49 AM 02-18-2011

Yes!  Compounding my nesting crazies is the fact that we're planning a cross-country move just after our baby's born, so most of what we do have will be donated or sold in the next few months.  I'm just itching to start the process.  I already have a big pile of stuff to take to Goodwill, and I add a handful of things to it every week.  All we're planning on taking with us is our bed, our books, and some of our kitchen appliances, so in my mind everything else is fair game.  orngbiggrin.gif  My other favorite purging target is my closet.  I really want to go through and toss all my old clothes.  I mean, none of them fit right now, anyway, right?  eyesroll.gif  But DH reminded me that I won't actually be pregnant forever, and I will probably need clothes after the baby's born.  Logic!  Who needs it? 

I think DH is getting rather annoyed with this process in general.  He keeps saying "We still have 5 months, we shouldn't get rid of stuff yet."  I think he's under the impression that I'll be able to pack and cull after I give birth.  Maybe I should be flattered - apparently he thinks I'm Wonder Woman!

I've had the crafting bug, too, but I just gave in to it.  The projects I want to do are pretty big, and knitting my baby's blanket has been a nice way for me to connect with her.  Plus I don't know how much time I'll have to sew after she's born, so maybe this will help me get it out of my system for a while!

Tumble Bumbles's Avatar Tumble Bumbles 05:58 AM 02-18-2011

Here too!

Klynne -- I can relate! We are fairly minimal here too, and any purging I do will likely result in getting rid of things we actually use and need. Not to say that hasn't happened before... Sheepish.gif

nikie23 -- wow a cross country move with a newborn! Brave woman!

In addition to wanting to clean and purge, I've been on this kick where I want to paint the entire house, get the carpets cleaned (they actually could use it), rearrange all the furniture lol.gif and start freezing meals. I know it's too early to freeze meals but I am counting down the days to when I feel comfortable doing a huge cooking day. I did that in my last pregnancy and it was so nice. I don't think I had to cook for like 3 weeks pp!

nocturne1980's Avatar nocturne1980 06:36 AM 02-18-2011

Oh my, yes! I thought it was just me and I was going OCD or something. I am obsessing over organizing our home and cloth diapering. I've been cleaning out closets and doing TONS of internet window shopping for items we 'need'.

I'm 24 weeks, and I don't remember feeling this way with our first until perhaps week 34 or so.

amaayeh's Avatar amaayeh 09:41 AM 02-18-2011

YES!  I just spent 30 minutes cleaning out the kids' craft drawer before I even had my morning coffee!  I truly want to take everything that isn't important and get rid of it.  I have no idea what we would do with all of it, but yes, I'm all ready to purge!

Nikie23 - I'm probably moving about 2000 miles when this baby is four weeks old.  NO FUN!  I think that puts an entire new element to it for me because I want to spend time with the baby, not packing.  So, I'm wanting to pack now.  Right now.  :)  Dh is reminding me how many months we have left and how it won't be fun to live with the bare, bare minimum for that long.  I'm still wanting to do it, though.

mayfly83's Avatar mayfly83 01:14 PM 02-18-2011

I am driven to clean in a way I never have been, which is actually a good thing, and my DH has even been helping out a bit more (more than not at all, that is, which was his previous level of commitment to keeping the place orderly, bless him). 

He too has been reminding me that I can slow down, I have plenty of time.  But I keep reminding him that there's a lot that must be done before the little lady baby's arrival, and I won't be getting any smaller or less tired for a while.  Post fatigue and nausea, pre ginormousness...this is the window!  Carpe diem! 

Klynne's Avatar Klynne 02:36 PM 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Here too!

Klynne -- I can relate! We are fairly minimal here too, and any purging I do will likely result in getting rid of things we actually use and need. Not to say that hasn't happened before... Sheepish.gif

Bwahaha!! I've sneaked stuff out too!!! ...

You ladies crack me up! Cleaning out the craft drawer before coffee would definitely fit under "insane pregnant lady instincts." lol

I'm a bit thrown off too, I didn't have this driving feeling in the pit of me with the other two until 35-36 weeks. Maybe it's natures way of giving it's wisdom. The more kids, the earlier you get "the feeling" because we really do need the extra time...

My MIL will stay with us before and after the baby so the kitchen and child care is covered, mostly. I could see myself butting in and not letting her cook so much... redface.gif maybe I should make freezer meals...

And I'm totally feeling the painting vibe. I had DH re-paint our kitchen for my birthday in Jan. :) Best gift ever. Now I'm hoping to pay a friend to paint our bedroom (we have a guest bedroom we can sleep in while it de fumes). And there might be a pregnant lady spray painting (out doors of course) a brass chandelier a-la this style with high gloss white paint to hang in our pristine white room.

Poor dh has a long list of to-do's already, I can't bear asking him to do one more thing for me!

A month after #2 was born we moved about half way across the world. I was so happy to get the flat emptied before the birth! Less is always more. I was driving DH crazy purging everything.  I am glad to say we won't be moving right after this birth. Good luck mammas!

Klynne's Avatar Klynne 02:42 PM 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

YES!  I just spent 30 minutes cleaning out the kids' craft drawer before I even had my morning coffee!  I truly want to take everything that isn't important and get rid of it.  I have no idea what we would do with all of it, but yes, I'm all ready to purge!

Nikie23 - I'm probably moving about 2000 miles when this baby is four weeks old.  NO FUN!  I think that puts an entire new element to it for me because I want to spend time with the baby, not packing.  So, I'm wanting to pack now.  Right now.  :)  Dh is reminding me how many months we have left and how it won't be fun to live with the bare, bare minimum for that long.  I'm still wanting to do it, though.

I vote for doing it, it's so much better to get rid of/sell off stuff in a steady trickle than all at once. But we are under the influence of pregnancy... so maybe you DH is right. :) 

jshannyn519's Avatar jshannyn519 02:52 PM 02-18-2011

I think my kids hate me because of my sudden, totally insane and completely uncharacteristic need for things to be CLEAN and ORGANIZED. I haven't started my quilt project yet, but I will be soon. I'm also going to spend some more time cleaning and organizing my closet because it's making me crazy. I'm going to IKEA tomorrow to get the crib and mattress and I'm sure I'll come home with storage and organization things for all over the house as well. My kids' craft area is driving me INSANE and I can't handle it anymore!

My walls are also making me nuts. They're this bland whitish color and I want color. I'm ending up with a green and brown monkey jungley theme for baby's blankets and stuff and I think I'm going to paint some jungley sort of things on the wall where the crib is going. It's in my room, but it will match my bedding and look way better than plain whitish walls.

Mamatoabunch's Avatar Mamatoabunch 02:58 PM 02-18-2011

My kids get scared when my list starts, LOL, but since I can do nothing right now w/ my house, being in limbo land I shop.

Smokering's Avatar Smokering 06:38 PM 02-18-2011

I've had it too, but rather dramatically muted by being really, really tired. I had a few days of feeling not so close to death last week, and decluttered my sewing niche (a seriously mammoth task!). I still don't have much energy for sewing, but at least my projects are all neatly stacked up and ready to go. And I'm (slowly!) knitting a baby kimono top.

Unfortunately I read "The End of Food" last night, and now have an intense desire to plant an enormous garden and get chickens. :p It's not possible at the moment, even if I were physically up to it (we rent), but the itch to do it is bugging me nonetheless!

kawa kamuri's Avatar kawa kamuri 07:10 PM 02-18-2011

We just moved so all I've been doing is purging and nesting. Tonight I found myself in the garage, which is totally not my space, HANGING UP PICTURES never you mind the sweeping and window cleaning in there. I had to stop myself from moving around aka organising tools and such.  

Klynne's Avatar Klynne 07:36 PM 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

We just moved so all I've been doing is purging and nesting. Tonight I found myself in the garage, which is totally not my space, HANGING UP PICTURES never you mind the sweeping and window cleaning in there. I had to stop myself from moving around aka organising tools and such.  

Sounds like your in heaven! I'm seriously tempted to invade the garage and purge. He likes to keep odd and ends out there (safe from me probably!) for that "just in case" project. I have listed a few things out there on CL, a lot cheaper than they should be just to get the stuff out.

Up