Back from 'big' US--Baby breech and Anterior Placenta again! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First off, I know that having an 'anterior placenta' isn't any big deal or anything, but that has been the placement for me EVERY single pregnancy! You'd think statistically that just one time in 6 placentas.....one would attach posteriorly.  Definitely explains why I don't feel much movement--yet again! 

And second, baby is footling breech. What the heck!?  My first was tranverse with his head in left hip until the very end, but the other 4 babes were head down by the 20w US--even both the twins. I rationally know there is time to turn, but it was still a little upsetting to see! All I could think was, great, I avoided a CS with twins, and then I'll end up with one with a breech baby! :(  Though this does explain why the few movements I do feel involve jabbing pain to my cervix. Something I've not experienced before, and was *this close* to calling the OB about....but ahh...FEET...that's why!

US was almost 23w and baby was measuring right on for everything. Since I am 'old' at 36, the perinatologist had to do it and so we got in-depth look at everything. All good. My older boys were thrilled! They'd never been to one and loved the detail. My 11 yo just couldn't get over the bones in the hands/feet, so there are LOTS of those on our pic disk LOL

Confirmed it is a baby boy as we already knew from earlier scan.

Oh and a pic!

184256_1839124466001_1477205520_32056589_6721969_n.jpg

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#2 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Glad everything looks good! My baby is turning back and forth all the freaking time and I'm hoping that at some point he'll just stay head down. I can feel his feet on my cervix too, and it's not a good feeling. It makes me want to barf.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#3 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM

I have always had posterior placentas, but this one is anterior. Such an odd feeling! My baby is all over the place, I don't even acknowledge it as baby is tiny and has so much time to settle in a perfect position for him or her.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#4 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM

I have an anterior placenta with this pregnancy. I also have high fluid so baby is all over the place, I often feel some major kicking and fluttering very low so I think she likes to hang out feet down but, I think they have plenty of time to switch around so don't worry.

I love the u/s picture, the little finger sticking up is cool!!

#5 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM

All three of my placentas have been anterior as well. Not sure why?  There is definitely time for baby to turn, but I totally understand why you are a little shocked by that after five other times.  Hopefully baby boy will 'see the light' before too long!  ;)

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM

This is #6 for me and also my 6th anterior placenta.  Few things I have noticed is that my babies stay posterior for a while because of it.  Luckily they all have turned either right before labor or during.  No major back labor.  Never dealt with breech baby until this time though.  Midwife, OB, everyone keeps saying dont worry, plenty of time still to turn, they dont start worry unless you hit 36 weeks and they are still breech.  Anyone else feel kicks in the um...anus?  Besides cervical kicks, I got bumped in the butt for an hour while she had the hiccups last night.

Also, my midwife swears anterior placenta is commonly related to being a tummy sleeper.  I am for sure, anyone else?  Interesting theory either way.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#7 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM

DDCC

Like you said, lots of time for baby to turn. Nothing to be worried about as chances are rather slim that the baby would remain breech.

Crazy that you always have anterior placentas. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#8 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM

I have an anterior and low-lying placenta (not previa, but they want to check it again later on) per the 20-wk. ultrasound.  This is my first, so I have nothing to compare to...

I have also been feeling lots of low movement in the last week, with only the rare nudge higher in my belly.  Mostly, it feels like I'm being nudged in the intestines/colon! Fortunately she's not kicking too hard, so it doesn't hurt, but it sure does feel weird.  The nurse midwife told me at my last appointment that it's too early to really tell the baby's position based on movement, but I'm pretty convinced that she's breech right now. 

The tummy sleeper theory definitely doesn't work for me.  I've always been mostly a back sleeper until I switched to side while pregnant.  So no idea what, if anything, "caused" my anterior placenta. 

#9 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Interesting theory about the tummy sleeper relation....I am for sure!  I had never thought of that! 

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#10 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I am a tummy or side sleeper! I still haven't given it up!!! It's usually 28-30w before it's too uncomfortable for me to tummy sleep, and then I sleep badly the last 10 weeks.

LOL Sharita!  We're both in the 6 anterior placenta club ;) hehe  Welcome! Do we have a secret handshake? ;)  I have gotten the butt bumps too!  They are shocking and sharply painful. 

I've not ever had back labor. The second of the twins came out sunny side up and even that didn't give me back labor....I'm hoping I'm immune as I hear it's awful!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

#11 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Big time tummy sleeper here but no anterior placenta.  The baby girl has been partying hard since 14 weeks for me to feel.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#12 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM

This thread prompted me to take a closer peek at my u/s report and yep, anterior placenta. It explains why I felt movement much later than before. I hope it poses no issue.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#13 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

Anyone else feel kicks in the um...anus?  Besides cervical kicks, I got bumped in the butt for an hour while she had the hiccups last night.

Also, my midwife swears anterior placenta is commonly related to being a tummy sleeper.  I am for sure, anyone else?  Interesting theory either way.

Yes I am experiencing the same types of kicks!! And I am usually a tummy sleeper. That is interesting 

#14 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM

I am definitely not a tummy sleeper, ever, but this is my first anterior placenta, as far as I know.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#15 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM

I just found out I have an anterior placenta.  I'm also a tummy sleeper...well now more of a side sleeper. I actually felt movement super early on (around week 10 weeks) and my midwife was figuring it was because she was kicking around the side of the placenta. I still feel her in the same spot on my right side so I know it was her I felt that early. She's transverse and I believe anterior positioned - at least she was during the us.  Sometimes I feel kicks very low and most of the time it's higher up on the sides. Today I just felt kicks in my lower colon area.  It had me questioning if it was gas bubbles but it really felt like a kick and she was active at the time. Very interesting to hear you guys too!

Heather geek.gif in stillheart.gif with DH geek.gif  1st baby  stork-girl.gif due end of June h20homebirth.gif
#16 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Anterior here too. Tumble Bumbles, don't worry; it's no worse than having a posterior placenta, just different! The only thing it means, AFAIK, is that you might feel kicks less strongly/later/less often, because the placenta cushions your tummy a bit more. I feel plenty of kicks, but I think they're often on the other side (the placenta's sort of at the front right-hand side of my uterus).

They say the risk for placenta previa goes up with each child if you're a mum of many, just because the placenta can only attach in the one spot once (the idea being that after 10 or 12 kids, it might "run out" of places to attach, so settle lower down near the cervix); so I say be happy to have another anterior one, safely up out of harm's way! Mum had a previa with her fourth baby - rather dramatic in the end, as it was undiagnosed during pregnancy. Two VBACs after that though, with unremarkable placentas. :)

And yeah, I wouldn't even think about worrying about baby being breech at this stage - it's so meaningless! Heck, mine was transverse and it didn't occur to me to worry. I am worrying a bit about the cord being wrapped twice around his neck, though. :( I know there's still plenty of chance for him to untwist himself, but my MW suggested another scan at 32 weeks to see if he has. It's a slightly helpless feeling - there are, at least, things you can do to turn a breech baby, but there's not a lot you can do to unwrap a nuchal cord. I mean, based on ultrasound pics, which aren't exactly crystal clear, even if my MW agreed to try a couple of external versions in a row, I'd be worried that we were twisting him up more, not untwisting him. You know? So yeah... I've been trying to remain calm and rational about it, but I'll be VERY relieved if we do the 32-week scan and all is clear. So I shouldn't really tell other people not to freak out. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#17 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 AM

I wouldn't panic over the cord around the neck thing. From my research, it typically doesn't cause any issues. If you hadn't had the ultrasound, you'd never know and 98 or 99 percent likely, everything would go smoothly in relation to that. If the cord is really tight, I've read about a flip delivery method and some other methods of getting the cord unwrapped quickly. The flip thing is related to keeping baby's head close to your exit hole while his/her body delivers.There's more info on it online if you check it out. It might calm your nerves to do a little more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Anterior here too. Tumble Bumbles, don't worry; it's no worse than having a posterior placenta, just different! The only thing it means, AFAIK, is that you might feel kicks less strongly/later/less often, because the placenta cushions your tummy a bit more. I feel plenty of kicks, but I think they're often on the other side (the placenta's sort of at the front right-hand side of my uterus).

They say the risk for placenta previa goes up with each child if you're a mum of many, just because the placenta can only attach in the one spot once (the idea being that after 10 or 12 kids, it might "run out" of places to attach, so settle lower down near the cervix); so I say be happy to have another anterior one, safely up out of harm's way! Mum had a previa with her fourth baby - rather dramatic in the end, as it was undiagnosed during pregnancy. Two VBACs after that though, with unremarkable placentas. :)

And yeah, I wouldn't even think about worrying about baby being breech at this stage - it's so meaningless! Heck, mine was transverse and it didn't occur to me to worry. I am worrying a bit about the cord being wrapped twice around his neck, though. :( I know there's still plenty of chance for him to untwist himself, but my MW suggested another scan at 32 weeks to see if he has. It's a slightly helpless feeling - there are, at least, things you can do to turn a breech baby, but there's not a lot you can do to unwrap a nuchal cord. I mean, based on ultrasound pics, which aren't exactly crystal clear, even if my MW agreed to try a couple of external versions in a row, I'd be worried that we were twisting him up more, not untwisting him. You know? So yeah... I've been trying to remain calm and rational about it, but I'll be VERY relieved if we do the 32-week scan and all is clear. So I shouldn't really tell other people not to freak out. :p

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#18 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I'm anterior and a back sleeper, so I'll throw the theory out the window for you! ;)

My little one is so active that I think she must change positions every 10 minutes or so.  I think they still have lots of time to turn, and turn, and turn again at this point.  There's still a decent amount of swimming room in there. =)

#19 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
I wouldn't panic over the cord around the neck thing. From my research, it typically doesn't cause any issues. If you hadn't had the ultrasound, you'd never know and 98 or 99 percent likely, everything would go smoothly in relation to that. If the cord is really tight, I've read about a flip delivery method and some other methods of getting the cord unwrapped quickly. The flip thing is related to keeping baby's head close to your exit hole while his/her body delivers.There's more info on it online if you check it out. It might calm your nerves to do a little more research.

Yeah, I know the statistics are good; unfortunately, every time I Google I come across some mainstream pregnancy site with horror stories of babies choked to death by their own nuchal cords, or "we had to have an emergency C-section but it was fine" stories apparently meant to be reassuring. I even asked on MDC and got some rather depressing responses, including one tale of neonatal death. So I'm a bit wary of researching any further, honestly; it hasn't exactly helped my state of mind thus far! My main fear is that now my MW is aware of it, she'll want to do continuous fetal monitoring on me during labour and will be more quick to jump to a C-section, even (perhaps) if it's not actually warranted. I guess I can discuss that with her on the next visit, though.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#20 of 23 Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Sorry, I was thinking of researching techniques for dealing with the cord being around the neck. Sadly, there's always some horror story(ies.) I'm giving birth unassisted and I'm sure I could find a bazillion horror stories with that but, we just got to do what we are most comfortable with. Just living in this world is taking a risk.

#21 of 23 Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Ha, actually revisiting this thread because I found it under google.  Funny though cause I already replied back when you posted it, lol.  I havent really been keeping up or I guess I'd know but was curious if baby ever turned vertex for you.  I just found out today (34 weeks) my transverse baby has settled breech thanks to my anterior placenta.  Maybe she will still turn head down I guess there is still time since its #6 for me as well there is plenty of room.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#22 of 23 Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM

I'm in a similar situation.  Baby is breech at 32 weeks.  My midwife says not to worry but it's difficult not to worry when facing potential surgery (no one would support a breech delivery in my area) :(

Baby is still small and can turn I'm sure.  I've heard many stories of babies turning even during or right before labour.  I'd feel much better if it happened sooner rather than later though.

Sharita, do you have the option of a vaginal delivery if baby stays head up?

#23 of 23 Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

My babe has turned head down and I'm sure he'll stay there as he has been head down at two appointments in a row.

My first babe was transverse and didn't turn until right before delivery. But, I do know what you mean about it feeling much more settled to have them in position ahead of time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page