My Rhogam crossroads. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got the shot today and feel good about it.  I read the medical articles again and was convinced that it was for me.  Now I'm really sore. :(  Oh, and it is $250 for me, I guess $500 if I need 2 shots.  Thanks for all of the discussion ladies.  I wish I could get on here more often; I learn a lot from you all.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#32 of 36 Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Hey there,

It seems like you already got a lot of comments from some very educated mamas! I just wanted to chime in with my personal experience and that of a friend (both of us are RH neg with RH pos hubbies). During my first pregnancy, I like you was very nervous about getting the 28-week shot. It just didn't seem necessary, and I didn't want to expose my daughter to ANYTHING unnecessary. I felt like having it after childbirth or immediately after trauma should be enough, but was I guess a little more terrified about something awful happening and then not being able to have another child without my body attacking it (or, I should say, having that be a possibility). In the end, I just got the 28-week shot and then got the shot after delivery as well. I am antibody free and my daughter is RH positive. She is the smartest, healthiest, most verbal little 20-month-old you could ever meet. 

I have a dear friend who also got the 28-week shot AND the post-delivery shot. She also took a very bad fall when she was about 34 weeks along but didn't get another shot because she SHOULD have been covered by the 28-weeker. For some reason, she STILL ended up getting sensitized, and is now facing an incredibly high-risk pregnancy if she even chooses to have another baby. Her docs think they must have not given her enough at the 28 weeker or that it leaked out or something, or that she had some additional trauma they didn't realize and she should have received more. My point in telling you about her is just so you can know how real sensitization can be, NOT to make the point that you could still be sensitized even WITH the 28-week shot. The docs say my friend's case is incredibly rare, and my midwife was shocked when I told her. I guess what I took from her story is that you don't always KNOW when you've experienced a trauma, so it really makes sense to get the 28-weeker to protect yourself and future babes. Also, that little baby in there is in the third trimester and not as vulnerable as when it's first forming. Those are just some thoughts that comfort me.

I myself am pregnant again and just had my 28-week Rhogam shot without any stress. It's important to weigh the risks of anything you put into your body, absolutely, but to me the risk of your body attacking a future baby is just too great, especially if you know you want another. 

Take all of that for what it's worth ;)!! I'm sure all will be well for you.

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#33 of 36 Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I will be getting the 28 week shot. I looked into it and feel comfortable with my decision. I would really like a large family and would be DEVASTATED if the very slight chance of becoming sensitized during pregnancy happened to me. Things happen that you can't always predict, you know? In an idea world, we wouldn't add a blood product to our bodies while preggo, but RH- and it's associated risks is a very real threat to the viability of future pregnancies. That slight risk is something that I could not personally live with. But this is something that's going to feel different for every woman and it's a very personal decision. 

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#34 of 36 Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moppet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post

Coming in from New posts-- I was freaking out about the Rhogam shot as well when I was pregnant.  I also gave birth in Germany and the doctor was very up front that Rhogam is basically non-negotiable in his eyes.  For what it's worth, he did not allow me to get the flu shot, swine flu shot or any other vaccines while I was pregnant (and this is when they were really crazy about everyone getting swine flu). He also recommended not getting dental work done while pregnant except for cleanings. I would most definitely get the shot if I were you. The risks do not outweigh the benefits. If your midwife recommends it and you trust her enough to give birth with her, why would you not do it? The only possible reason I would not get the shot is if you know this is your last child and your husband is getting a vasectomy.

I don't really think the negatives are easily outweighed by the positives - for the 28 week shot. Postpartum, I'm totally on board, just not the "preventive" shot at 28 weeks.

FWIW, my midwife was totally cool with my reservations. She said she completely understood my concerns and didn't disagree and that it was a personal decision. I believe signing the form is purely to cover her butt if I later showed up sensitized and said I wasn't offered the shot.

Also, if for some reason I did end up sensitized even after having the postpartum dose, that would be it for us TTC. I would not risk HND knowing the possible outcomes.

can you explain what the negatives are in your opinion?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#35 of 36 Old 08-26-2011, 05:38 PM

There is a great guideline, with statistics as far as risk of not getting the shot at all, not getting it at 28 weeks, versus getting it at various points.  It's the SOGC (Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) of Canada.  You can find it here:

http://www.sogc.org/guidelines/public/133e-cpg-september2003.pdf

Good luck with everyone's decision making! 

#36 of 36 Old 08-27-2011, 12:47 PM

This DDC is now full of babies who are 2 months old or more, so this information comes a little late. Might want to post that link out in the main forums.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page