New Chat Thread!!! MARCHing into the 3rd trimester!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, I've had a rotten few days. I saw my MW and she mentioned the sonogram report again - they'd made a note that the cord is wrapped "at least three times" around the baby's neck. She told me about it on the phone, but I could have sworn she only said it was wrapped twice... "at least three times" freaks me out a lot more. I have to have another scan at 32 weeks, and if it's still wrapped... well, either I'll risk out of the birthing centre and have to have the baby in the hospital, or, in her words, "we can start in the birthing centre but have a very low transfer threshold". The risk is that the cord would be too short due to all the wrapping, and not allow the baby to descend properly.

In theory there's plenty of time and space for the baby to have unwrapped himself since the 20-week scan (or wrapped himself up even more, of course!)... but anyway, it's really been getting me down. Words cannot express how much I really, really, REALLY do not want a C-section. And even though they wouldn't schedule one automatically, I don't want to go into labour thinking "This might not work out", expecting to transfer at any moment. We were considering having DD at the birth, but I don't want to do that if it's likely we'll have transfer halfway through! And I'm skeptical about monitoring the heart tones, as well - fetal heart decels are normal during contractions, so at what point will the midwife decide they're "unacceptable"? I'm even worried that I might end up resenting the baby if he means I have to have a C-section... and I'm frustrated by the fact there's nothing I can do to change things. A breech or posterior baby, at least you can do things to get him into a better position. A wrapped baby, not so much. I asked about doing a version or something if we could figure out which way round the cord was wrapped, but my MW said no, the risk of the cord detaching from the placenta was too high.

Hopefully the scan will show he's entirely unwrapped - or heck, I'd be happy if he were just wrapped once, as that would mean the cord was long enough he could descend (having at least two round-the-neck's-worth of slack, KWIM?). But I'm worried sick that he'll have gotten himself further tangled up. :( I've been crying off and on for the last few days, which is very unlike me. I've always dreaded a C-section, but never really thought it could happen to me, you know? And this was supposed to be my "healing" birth, as cheesy as that sounds. At most, we're only planning to have one more baby... what if I never get to have a birth in which my body DOES WHAT IT'S MEANT TO DO? (Not that this is my body's fault, really, it's the baby's... but I just want a birth in which I go into labour on my own, lose the mucus plug, have my waters broken, expel the placenta naturally, get to labour/birth in water without drama and tension. It doesn't seem like so much to ask.)

I don't know who to talk to about it in real life, either. DH doesn't quite get it - he thinks it's silly to worry before we have the scan, which is true but not really helpful. Mum has a fairly fatalistic, doomy attitude to all things childbirth (she had one emergency C-section herself) and will probably just reminisce about how much it sucked when she had my little sister. My MW is nice enough, but I don't feel comfortable pouring my heart out to her on the subject; she's a bit too professional for that. I miss my old midwife. :(

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so sorry :( Maybe a good cry and a massage would help things a bit?? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Well, I've had a rotten few days. I saw my MW and she mentioned the sonogram report again - they'd made a note that the cord is wrapped "at least three times" around the baby's neck. She told me about it on the phone, but I could have sworn she only said it was wrapped twice... "at least three times" freaks me out a lot more. I have to have another scan at 32 weeks, and if it's still wrapped... well, either I'll risk out of the birthing centre and have to have the baby in the hospital, or, in her words, "we can start in the birthing centre but have a very low transfer threshold". The risk is that the cord would be too short due to all the wrapping, and not allow the baby to descend properly.

In theory there's plenty of time and space for the baby to have unwrapped himself since the 20-week scan (or wrapped himself up even more, of course!)... but anyway, it's really been getting me down. Words cannot express how much I really, really, REALLY do not want a C-section. And even though they wouldn't schedule one automatically, I don't want to go into labour thinking "This might not work out", expecting to transfer at any moment. We were considering having DD at the birth, but I don't want to do that if it's likely we'll have transfer halfway through! And I'm skeptical about monitoring the heart tones, as well - fetal heart decels are normal during contractions, so at what point will the midwife decide they're "unacceptable"? I'm even worried that I might end up resenting the baby if he means I have to have a C-section... and I'm frustrated by the fact there's nothing I can do to change things. A breech or posterior baby, at least you can do things to get him into a better position. A wrapped baby, not so much. I asked about doing a version or something if we could figure out which way round the cord was wrapped, but my MW said no, the risk of the cord detaching from the placenta was too high.

Hopefully the scan will show he's entirely unwrapped - or heck, I'd be happy if he were just wrapped once, as that would mean the cord was long enough he could descend (having at least two round-the-neck's-worth of slack, KWIM?). But I'm worried sick that he'll have gotten himself further tangled up. :( I've been crying off and on for the last few days, which is very unlike me. I've always dreaded a C-section, but never really thought it could happen to me, you know? And this was supposed to be my "healing" birth, as cheesy as that sounds. At most, we're only planning to have one more baby... what if I never get to have a birth in which my body DOES WHAT IT'S MEANT TO DO? (Not that this is my body's fault, really, it's the baby's... but I just want a birth in which I go into labour on my own, lose the mucus plug, have my waters broken, expel the placenta naturally, get to labour/birth in water without drama and tension. It doesn't seem like so much to ask.)

I don't know who to talk to about it in real life, either. DH doesn't quite get it - he thinks it's silly to worry before we have the scan, which is true but not really helpful. Mum has a fairly fatalistic, doomy attitude to all things childbirth (she had one emergency C-section herself) and will probably just reminisce about how much it sucked when she had my little sister. My MW is nice enough, but I don't feel comfortable pouring my heart out to her on the subject; she's a bit too professional for that. I miss my old midwife. :(

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Any suggestions, especially from those who've had babies already, about how to manage the anxiety that the baby could be born at any minute? This is a new, but constant worry for me since I hit 28 weeks. I feel like I need to be vigilant and prepared at all times.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM

If you don't have any symptoms of pre-term labour or anything, I wouldn't worry... the chances of anything happening for many weeks yet is very low! Honestly, I don't really think about it - although it did give me a start the other day when I mentioned to Mum (and ex-nurse/midwife) that I was 26 weeks along, and she said "Wow, I've looked after babies smaller than that!". Which I thought was pretty impressive, given that it was back in the day. :p

If you can lose the vigilance, do - you'll tire yourself out. I had that constant on-edge, will-I-wake-up-in-labour? feeling for a week and a half, and it was exhausting! Do you have a to-do list for before the baby shows up? Maybe if you focus on "I need to clean the nursery this week... knit a baby hat next week... freeze some meals the week after that", you'll kinda pace yourself and feel less anxious?

From a Hypnobabies-type perspective, you could also try visualising your cervix staying tight and closed. Hypnobabies actually has a "Stay In, Baby" CD, but I think it's for women with threatened early labour; not sure if it's recommended for anxiety about it without symptoms. If it's really bugging you though, it might be worth looking into.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Smokering, I am going to keep you and your LO in my thoughts and prayers.  As a hypnobabies gal, I am sure you are already doing this, but just remember the power of visualization!!  Picture the cord slowly unwinding and the baby's neck being free and ready for birthing.  I will also put this intention out there for you and try and picture it when I do my nightly meditations.  My DH is the same as yours - he always has this "don't worry until there's something to worry about" attitude and I could just ring his neck sometimes!!!  It is so frustrating when all you want is someone to truly be there for you.  Communicating your feelings is so important and it sucks when you feel like nobody understands.  hug.gif  Have you looked into acupuncture or chiro care?  I wonder if there are any positions you could try that might help... I will give my DEM friend a call and see if she has seen any techniques that resulted in a positive outlook.  FWIW, DD had a nuchal cord when she was born and everything was just fine.  I was at home and not being monitored at all, so when she was descending, I reached up and checked for the cord and there it was - wrapped around her neck!  I slipped my finger through it and pushed as much as I could with the next contraction.  Out she came and although she was a little blue, she was breathing just fine and pinked up immediately.  

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I know nuchal cords are very common; but not wrapped around three times! I asked my MW if she'd ever dealt with a thrice-wrapped baby and she said no. I looked online for stories of babies with the cord wrapped several times, but they all seemed to be emergency C-section stories, or worse. :(

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

How frustrating for you! Do you have to wait until 32 weeks to have another scan? I mean, I can understand wanting to limit the number of scans you get, but that's not for a while and it sounds like you'll be tying yourself up in knots in the meantime! That way at least you'll know what's what and you'll be able to make plans.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I know nuchal cords are very common; but not wrapped around three times! I asked my MW if she'd ever dealt with a thrice-wrapped baby and she said no. I looked online for stories of babies with the cord wrapped several times, but they all seemed to be emergency C-section stories, or worse. :(

My sister's first baby had his cord wrapped around his neck twice, and pretty tightly too. He was a vaginal birth with no problems. I'm sure you and your little bean are just fine.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM

erigeron: I think the theory is that 32 weeks is the latest they can do it (minimising the chances that the baby will tangle/untangle again after the scan, making the whole thing pointless), before everything gets too squished to see clearly. So it makes sense, it's just frustrating!

At least the baby's head-down. I know that doesn't really mean anything either at 27 weeks; but it's nice to feel that something's going according to the textbook! And my pelvic girdle pain isn't nearly as severe as with my last pregnancy. So that's something. :p

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Well it looks like I might have the beginnings of a UTI and a little dehydrated. Which would explain the yucky feeling. I'm spilling bilirubin, protein, and leukocytes into my urine (I love the nurses in the prison...the do things like this for me all the time blood sugar checks, blood pressure, etc.) So hopefully we'll get it cleared up soon.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

Well it looks like I might have the beginnings of a UTI and a little dehydrated. Which would explain the yucky feeling. I'm spilling bilirubin, protein, and leukocytes into my urine (I love the nurses in the prison...the do things like this for me all the time blood sugar checks, blood pressure, etc.) So hopefully we'll get it cleared up soon.

Well, though a UTI sucks, at least you found a cause and a solution to your crampy and achy belly!  Hope you are feeling much better very soon!

I am just feeling a mess today (which isn't much different from most days, I guess).  DH still has not found a job (well, he was offered one that starts in June - right when the baby is due and, um, what the heck are we supposed to do for money for the next 3 months???!!) so he "took" it with the understanding that he will continue looking for something else in the meantime.  I guess I am just having a hard time watching EVERY SINGLE PENNY - since this change wasn't something I ever anticipated and was not really informed of until it was way too late, I am just really having a hard time with the adjustment.  I hate not being able to buy good quality, fresh food for us.  Apples have been on sale for the last 2 weeks and so it's the only fruit we can afford and I am sooooooooooo sick of apples right now!!!!!  BAH!!!  I have cut our grocery budget down to $100 a week for 3 adults (my cousin lives with us) and 2 children and I am constantly shocked at how little we get for the money - and I am a born bargain hunter.  

Anyways, sorry for the vent.  I guess everything is just getting to me today.  

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM

tracymom1: Eugh, that sucks. :( Are you signed up for all the assistance you're eligible for? There's no chance your DH could take a menial movie theatre/McDonald's-type job until June? (Although even those aren't easy to get, at least not here in NZ...)

Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

tracymom1: Eugh, that sucks. :( Are you signed up for all the assistance you're eligible for? There's no chance your DH could take a menial movie theatre/McDonald's-type job until June? (Although even those aren't easy to get, at least not here in NZ...)

Ugh, I wish we were eligible for anything.  We took a big loan from family and so that, combined with the value of our car, pretty much places us out of most assistance.  I could apply for WIC, but being that I am having a UP and planning a UC, I really don't want to get flagged in the DCFS system.  I refuse to go to their clinic to get 'evaluated' for my "current nutritional status" - I am a bit of a government-phobe, I guess.  If DH could just get a job - any job - we could make things work for the time being.  Truthfully, he really looked and looked for a couple of weeks and has since backed off.  I hate to say it, but I have totally turned into a nag and our relationship has gone into the toilet because of all this crap.  Sigh... just keep telling myself that this will eventually pass.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Thinking of you Smokering! My midwife today was talking about possibly risking me out of our birth center for marginal cord insertion so I'm waiting on another ultrasound as well. I am so not into birthing at the hospital, for the same reasons. I really hope that everything works out for you...

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM

it sounds like today was just a cosmically difficult time for ladies due in June. maybe we are going through these difficult times now so that by the time our babies arrive, we'll all be feeling a lot better, these issues will resolve, etc...

tracymom, maybe try to approach DH with the most loving intentions you can dredge up- sometimes when i am most furious at my husband, it helps to think about him for awhile, the things i know challenge him and his own inner struggles, and also to imagine the most positive ways you can construe his actions. and do one small loving thing for him, just to make him feel better, sometimes it helps to do that instead of being annoyed about all the things the other person isn't doing for you. i hope this isn't annoying, the job thing sounds sooooo stressful and i have definitely fallen off the path of appreciating my own husband a few times lately.

smokering, that is indeed scary about the cord. did you have a c-section with your first? i did, and had experienced dread of hospital and c-section before the birth, but in the end it was not as bad as i thought. that being said, i do hope to vbac successfully this time. though at the hospital. the first time, i was so entranced by home birth, but my experience at home was not so good, and the hospital was not so bad... i don't know, i just find that so far, everything about pregnancy and birth has challenged all of my beliefs and habits and predictions... no plan will unfold as i imagine, it seems. maybe this is just true of pregnancy/birth generally... part of becoming a parent/being a parent?

anyway, hope things improve for us all! three more months. eek!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM

hilary549: No, I didn't have a C-section with my first, but I did have a less-than-ideal birth. We'd planned a home birth and gotten as far as hiring the birth pool, when I developed fulminating pre-eclampsia and had to be induced. Our hospital was HORRIBLE - the delivery rooms were literally a construction zone, so there were piles of lumber lying around and chainsaws whining while I was in labour. I only got to labour in the tub for an hour before my MW decided I was "getting too comfortable" and turfed me out, and I was on the clock - I didn't actually end up with Pitocin, just a prostoglandin gel induction, but the threat of Pitocin was there the whole time if I wasn't dilated X centimetres by Y o'clock. And then after DD was born my cervix clamped down over the placenta and it had to be removed with forceps. So... that was fun.

In retrospect it could have been a lot worse - no section, no Pitocin, no episiotomy (or tearing - yay for squatting!), no interfering doctors (in fact, they were extremely short-staffed - if my MW hadn't transferred with me, she said later that I would have essentially been UCing!) and I got to transfer to the nice calm birthing centre afterwards. But the experience was pretty traumatic and freaked me out a lot about having another baby, which is partly why DD will be over 3 when this baby's born. (Not that that's a huge age gap, but it is in my social circles! We've been getting "hints" for years...) There's a sort of vibe in natural-birthing stories that after a traumatic birth, the universe "owes" you a lovely, calm, healing birth - you know all those "My first baby was born in a hospital and it was awful, the second time in our tub at home with candles and loving spirituality " stories. So I guess I figured it was my turn...

It's funny - throughout my first pregnancy I was worried about GD, because Mum had it; so pre-eclampsia sort of threw me. This time I was worried about getting pre-e again (which of course I still might), so the nuchal cord thing just came out of the blue. It's what I hate about pregnancy and birth - I'm a bit of a control freak and get very, very upset when things are happening to my body without my say-so, and I can't just "let go" the way some women seem to. I know all of life is just an illusion of control, yadda yadda, but pregnancy certainly highlights that!

The good news is that the hospital's birthing rooms are now (apparently) quite attractive, and I haven't got my hopes pinned on a homebirth - I deliberately planned for a birthing centre birth, so it wouldn't seem so... personal?... if I had to transfer. And I do live in NZ, which has a somewhat healthier birthing climate than the USA - no worries about the baby being circed by mistake or not being allowed to eat during labour. I think I can make peace with a hospital birth... but a C-section? I feel like it would break me. :(

BarefootinBrooklyn, I hope your scan goes well too! Cord insertion (and placenta previa) were things I was also angsting about before our 20-week scan... I was so relieved to find it was all OK, and then I got the call about the nuchal cord a week later. I wish they'd tell you at the time, instead of pretending everything was normal. I know there are reasons why they can't, but I feel a bit betrayed...

Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Well things have looked a bit bleak for a few days here, but today has things looking up. Friday my paycheck was short $130 because they changed my tax withholding to 0 deductions and single instead of married. Then, my BIL started his new job and drove our van to work. (We were out of town with friends and my sister was watching the kids) He dropped something while getting out of the car and got out to get it with the van still running and the door closed and locked behind him. The van overheats if it idles too long so he had to bust the window to keep the engine from frying. I was having issues earlier this week and the midwife wanted me on light duty at work. I bring my note in and my Capt. informs me that if I can't work full duty I have to go on leave. So we've been trying to figure out if we can afford me being on leave (with my disability insurance payment as income) or if I need to have the midwife release me to full duty. We're pretty sure at this point I'll be out until well after the baby comes mischievous.gif I was really ticked off about their attitude towards me and am happy to slight them by leaving them a certified female officer short. For a few months or longer ;) 

Well DD is getting fussy for her naps so I'm gonna go get her down and then get the kids ready to leave the house in a little while and enjoy my time off to its fullest capacity!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 AM

Ugh, I'm having a crummy week too. I've been insanely hormonal and have been sniping at DH left & right. Stressed out over money, school, health, work...everything, really.

Then this morning I discovered a huge disgusting patch of mold on the wall in DD's room (where I sleep with her). ARGH. We've been sleeping with our heads right next to it. greensad.gif I'm desperately trying to resist the urge to google it because I know I'm going to freak out and obsess about it. I don't even know how I'm supposed to clean it seeing as it's behind the radiator. I hate this damp old house of ours! I wish we could go back in time and buy a different place.

I'm also irrationally preemptively angry with DH because I know he'll be no help in dealing with it. He's so weird when it comes to stuff like this. He'll tell me I'm worrying about nothing, then refuse to help me clean it. Or if he does clean it, he'll do such a half-arsed job that I'll have to do it again anyway.

Oh and I'm supposed to be working on my assignment for biology, and one of the questions is all about mold. So much for keeping my mind off it!

Sorry about the rant. It's just one of those days.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, Mamas, big deep breath for us all!!  I think that it is time for the funk to lift!!  Maybe the impending springtime will raise our spirits and bring some 3rd trimester joy.  I know I could sure use some happiness in these parts (though my stress is directly related to *someone* simply needing to FIND A JOB already!!!).

Snowflake, we have dealt with mold several times in our various homes, and it is never easy.  I wish I had some wisdom to impart, but we have always actually gone in and cut the wall out and replaced it.  Luckily DH is handy like that.  

My nightmares have been getting worse and worse lately.  I guess the hormones and stress are just getting to me.  

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 AM

I've been having a rough couple of days because of this spring forward DST. Ugh. It always throws me off but it's so much worse when pregnant. And I haven't been sleeping that well anyway because of stress and restless leg syndrome. Last night I dosed myself up with melatonin and Calms Forte and slept like a rock. It was greatness. Now maybe I can enjoy Spring Break instead of feeling hungover all day long!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Oh, man, nightmares.  Up to this point I'd gotten off pretty lucky, I guess.  I'd had a few weird baby-related dreams, but nothing bad.  But the other day I had a dream where my mom and MIL came to visit just after the birth, and I was so busy trying to deal with them that I forgot to feed the baby and she died.  I woke up *sobbing*, totally freaked out DH, and then couldn't go back to sleep til I felt the baby kick (for some reason that made it better).  That was rough.

Snowflake, one of the rooms in my IL's house has had mold problems for years (there's a problem with the roof, which 3 different roofers have been unable to fix).  My MIL's response was always to slap some Killz on it and call it a day.

Lately I've been alternating between "Yay, almost to the third trimester!  Pregnancy's almost done!" and "AAAH!  Third trimester!  The baby's almost here I'M NOT READY!".  Physically I'm more than ready for pregnancy to be over, but mentally I'm kinda freaking out at the idea of having to take care of something that doesn't use a litter box and eat out of a bowl on the floor.  orngtongue.gif  Hopefully as we start crossing things off the list of "baby must-haves" and DH gets closer to having a job after this summer, I'll start feeling a little more ready, 'cause she's comin' either way!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM

My mom dealt with mold when she was doing construction clean-up in Galveston after Hurricane Ike. There was a ton of water damage and mold issues. She found some kind of mold killing stuff that sprayed on, I'll have to ask her what it was. I know that you can use regular household bleach too. Put some in a spray bottle and spray the wall. It sounds like you may have to have the radiator repaired and the sheetrock replaced eventually, but the bleach should kill off what is growing there now.

Jenni

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM

Sleep? What's that? I haven't slept well since last Thursday night. I've been taking Melatonin and it seems to work okay... I just find my best sleep around 5 am in the morning... and then have to wake up about 2-3 hours later for DD and now, the painters. I could definitely go to sleep right now though! Eventually, I will get so exhausted that a good night's sleep HAS to come. I am going on a mini-trip with my Dad this weekend to visit his twin brother and family--- he just found out he has terminal cancer and shouldn't make it another month. As bad as this sounds, I'm excited that my Dad will be with me so he can wake up with DD in the morning and I can sleep in---if possible!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

My mom dealt with mold when she was doing construction clean-up in Galveston after Hurricane Ike. There was a ton of water damage and mold issues. She found some kind of mold killing stuff that sprayed on, I'll have to ask her what it was. I know that you can use regular household bleach too. Put some in a spray bottle and spray the wall. It sounds like you may have to have the radiator repaired and the sheetrock replaced eventually, but the bleach should kill off what is growing there now.

yeah... we had mold in our apartment and a mold cleaning company came in. They used bleach in a spray bottle and scrubbed! Then the apt people painted again.... I'm assuming they knew what they were doing!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

yeah... we had mold in our apartment and a mold cleaning company came in. They used bleach in a spray bottle and scrubbed! Then the apt people painted again.... I'm assuming they knew what they were doing!

Yep! There is a special kind of primer and paint you can buy that will seal the wall after the mold has been killed off. It's also used in homes where there has been a lot of pet damage and the smells are terrible. You treat the walls with an enzyme spray and then seal the walls so it doesn't stink anymore.

Jenni

Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM

goodvibes.gifI'm sending good vibes out into the universe so we can all get out of this rotten slump that wants to hang around!!!

I'm trying to get SOMETHING accomplished today...when really all I want to do is stare at the wall. I have 2 naked 3 year olds running around and the baby has not stopped whining/crying for no apparent reason until about 5 minutes ago.

If I get nothing physically accomplished I at least want a plan of attack for when DH gets back (he got a short gig delivering the local phone books that'll pay $200) Still looking for a house...the search is not going so hot.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 AM

I'm ignoring all the chores and to-dos today and going to the zoo with my sister, BIL, their 3 kids and my 2 kids.

Jenni

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM

I'm in a bizarre situation with my mom. She has a long history of being... kooky. Right now with the nuclear reactor explosions and meltdowns in Japan, she is quite concerned about airborne fallout traveling by jetstream to Vancouver, where I am. I've been trying to keep tabs on things, too, and for now the most serious explosion is rated a 6 on some kind of seriousness scale, whereas Chernobyl was a 7. In the case of Chernobyl, airborne fallout only traveled 1500 km, so a level 6 explosion seems like it wouldn't be apt to send fallout anywhere near Vancouver. She wants to pay for me to come out and visit them in Ontario until after she perceives the risk to have passed. I haven't seen my parents since before I was pregnant, so I wonder if she is just looking for excuses to see me before the baby is born? Their finances are unstable right now, mostly because of my mother's fiscal kookiness in the last year, and so I'm concerned about just humouring her and coming to visit, because I know it would be expensive.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I found a merchandise credit to Kohl's that I forgot about (yay for cleaning out my wallet!) so I went and got 2 new bras today!!!  It's been a looooooooonnnng time since I bought myself something new!  I also had enough to get a swimsuit for DD.  I was shocked at the selection of swimsuits for little girls - way too sexy for my tastes, that's for sure!!  I bought her one of those UV swim tops and shorts so that he little shoulders and belly are covered.  

I am going to spend the rest of the day being lazy and relaxing with the kids.  

Imogen, I don't know what to say about the radiation problems in Japan - I think that the US and the Canadian governments are probably keeping a close eye on the situation and will alert us as to the need for worry and/or evacuation. I am not one to depend on the government for truth and protection - I am always a skeptic - but I also don't live my life in fear.  Do you want to go see your parents?  Can you ask them point blank if their financial situation can handle a visit from you?  

Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Tracy - new bras that actually fit feel SO glorious. When I put on my maternity bra for the first time after trying to make my old bras work, I was astounded. I'm glad you found some comfortable things :)

I would love to go see my parents, and also visit friends in the area. My mom has NO CONCEPT of fiscal responsibility, at all. My stepdad is frugal to the point that he washes and re-uses sandwich baggies, trying to compensate for her frivolousness. He won't say 'no' to her, ever. I know that they are in thousands of dollars of debt on a line of credit, but not in danger of crisis, even with the cost of plane tickets. I don't like the idea of adding to the debt, but I know it won't be any kind of financial "tipping point" for them.

My mom's worry is that if information about airborne fallout were to be widely publicized by Canada/US governments, planes would fill up very quickly. She wants me to leave the area pre-emptively. I can kind of understand the sentiment, I just don't think it's a likely scenario.

User Tag List