New Chat Thread!!! MARCHing into the 3rd trimester!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 221 Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought I would get it going this time...

Frustrating couple of days over here - my sewing machine broke yesterday and since it is my source of income right now I am already anxious to have it back and fixed!!  Should be ready sometime tomorrow, though.  I just hate waiting!

I seem to be much more sleepy than usual lately.  I can't stop yawning!  I used to drink a can of Coke every afternoon (I know, I know - that's why I stopped!) and even though I haven't had one in a few weeks, I am wondering if the lack of caffeine is finally getting to me.  I have a green 'energy' drink that I might try having in the afternoon instead (KyoGreen).  

Other than that, just plodding along over here... getting through the days, waiting for spring! shamrocksmile.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 221 Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM

I understand the sleepy feeling, though mine is from sickness not pregnancy.  Normally I am a super insomniac through pregnancy.  However, currently, my entire house has influenza.  And I can say having flu while pregnant bites.  It's miserable and taking care of 3 kids who also have it really is no fun.  But at least it's flu and not gastroenteritis because if we were all 4 losing it out of both ends.....that would more than biteROTFLMAO.gif

I am trying to get some knitting done before baby comes, just to get my holiday knitting knocked out before little one takes up lots of time.  And hoping for nice weather soon.  We live in a snowy cold area and it will be nice to be able to go to the parks with regularity again.  And to get my garden up and going!  Ah the plans of spring, so close I can feel them.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#3 of 221 Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Aaah!  Third trimester!! 

I had a minor freak-out the other day when I was looking at dates and realized I'm almost in my last trimester.  DH was laughing at me.  "What did we do?  Why did we think this is a good idea?!  We're going to have a BABY in less than 4 months!  Can we hit pause, I'm not ready!"  DH just gave me a hug and said "we'll be fine". 

I have a serious case of pregnancy-brain, too.  The other day I was talking to DH and completely lost my train of thought mid-sentence.  I had literally no idea what I was trying to tell him, couldn't remember what we'd been talking about, nothing.  Very strange experience.

Max's Mama, I hope you and the fam get better soon! 

#4 of 221 Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Whoa, we're nearly at third trimester already?! That's news! And I'm only just kindasorta getting over my "first-trimester" tiredness....

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 221 Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM

I feel like absolute crap....and I will NOT give up my Coke!  I swear it's all that keeps me going!

I went to a prenatal with my midwife on Monday...still haven't gained any weight (I'm fat so that's a good thing) and my BP is okay which was a concern we had.  I just feel terrible all the time and everyone in the household has been sick almost constantly for the past month.  Ugh!

#6 of 221 Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM

I've been super tired lately, but I'm attributing that to the fact that my body needs way more iron that I'm giving it. So I've jumped back on the Floradix bandwagon. I'm so inconsistent with it, it's really terrible. However, I'm bribing myself with bowls of orange sherbert twice a day as a chaser with the iron. lol  And Tang. Which has pretty much zero nutritional value aside from the Vitamin C in it.

The weather here has been lovely for the past couple of weeks and we're starting to plan for our garden as well. I love spring! And summer. Fall is okay, but sad because I know winter is coming, and I hate winter!! Baseball practice for my son started yesterday and softball for my daughter will be starting shortly. I just have to hear from the coach at some point and I have no idea who he/she even is!

I'm 25 weeks tomorrow, only 3 weeks until the 3rd tri starts! ACK!!!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#7 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Whoa, we're nearly at third trimester already?! That's news! And I'm only just kindasorta getting over my "first-trimester" tiredness....

This kinda freaked me out because I feel the same way... just getting back to "normal" with energy and sex drive... but I'm not third tri for another few weeks, so there's still hope!  I'm not due til the 25th, so I'll be one of the last hangers-on here, will get to hear everybody's good birth stories to boost me for my own :)

Have been crying at the drop of a hat lately.  Sunday night I broke down because I suddenly realized I don't remember anything of the feeling of birth or having a newborn!  It was only 3 years ago, but it's all so foggy, probably by design... told a friend this feeling and she said good!  That's better than thinking you know what you're doing and finding out you don't again.  Which was helpful, I thought.

Jenni, I'm doing Floradix too, didn't even do the iron test, just went ahead and bought the big bottle because I know I need it.  I've been chasing it with OJ but now I'm all interested in getting some Tang, ha! I used to eat the mix by the spoonful as a kid.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#8 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Big hugs to the ladies dealing with illness! hug2.gif

I've had a super lazy day today. I have one day a week off to catch up on study, but today I had a nap instead! It was the nicest feeling ever. I had reached that point of tiredness where I was irrationally cranky with everyone. It's amazing what a few hours of sleep can do!

This afternoon I have my first midwife appt since before Christmas. I guess she'll ask me about GD testing. I'm going to refuse it - I have no risk factors and it made me feel horrendous last time I did it. I hope she doesn't push it - I suck at saying no.

Anyway, off to study a little bit...

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#9 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

This afternoon I have my first midwife appt since before Christmas. I guess she'll ask me about GD testing. I'm going to refuse it - I have no risk factors and it made me feel horrendous last time I did it. I hope she doesn't push it - I suck at saying no.

Ha!  I suck at saying no, too. 

I'm blown away by the idea that you haven't had a MW appt since Christmas!  Now that I'm a few months in I've realized that the MWs at my BC are basically OBs that can't prescribe meds.  From what I can tell there's little difference in prenatal care between my MWs and an OB.  I go once a month to pee in a cup and have my bp taken, and lately they've been pushing the GTT and refuse to consider alternatives to the glucola.  The only difference is that I have to go to the hospital for ultrasounds, and bloodwork takes weeks to get back.  headscratch.gif  It's been a source of frustration for me - if I'd realized that going to the BC would get me all the flak of an OB's office with none of the convenience, I would've just found a doc and made sure to wait as long as possible before heading to the hospital to deliver.  Arrg!

Sorry for the mini-rant.  I think I need to eat something.  orngbiggrin.gif

#10 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM

I am excited March is here! It is warming up some. Now if I could wear some of my dresses, besides Mass, w/o freezing. Hopefully it will be warm enough soon. I am always cold.

We have not closed on the farm yet. The appraisal was finally done last week, I cannot believe how slow this is going. I just went to bed and cried and cried yesterday. Dh was home sick and was very sweet, that always helps. Still nothing is settled. I don't know where we will be. I can't plan anything. Our extension is until 3/4/11 and that doesn't look like a possibility. I don't want to move hugely pregnant, but I don't want to move after the baby comes either. I am not good w/ a newborn and change. I just want to be settled.

Otherwise, we are marching along to completion of our school year. We are on week 25 and have 6 weeks left. I am beyond thrilled. 

I am having a hard time w/ eating. I am so hungry, but get so full and then feel sick. I need to eat smaller bits at a time. I don't think we should go out to eat as temptation is there and I overeat. Plus is I can now go for walks, at least most days, if the wind isn't crazy.  

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#11 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

Ha!  I suck at saying no, too. 

I'm blown away by the idea that you haven't had a MW appt since Christmas!  Now that I'm a few months in I've realized that the MWs at my BC are basically OBs that can't prescribe meds.  From what I can tell there's little difference in prenatal care between my MWs and an OB.  I go once a month to pee in a cup and have my bp taken, and lately they've been pushing the GTT and refuse to consider alternatives to the glucola.  The only difference is that I have to go to the hospital for ultrasounds, and bloodwork takes weeks to get back.  headscratch.gif  It's been a source of frustration for me - if I'd realized that going to the BC would get me all the flak of an OB's office with none of the convenience, I would've just found a doc and made sure to wait as long as possible before heading to the hospital to deliver.  Arrg!

Sorry for the mini-rant.  I think I need to eat something.  orngbiggrin.gif

Rant away! I've never had anything but midwives for regular appts, so I have nothing to compare too.

Back from my appt. I've already gained 23 lbs and my fundal height is measuring 3 weeks ahead. Total opposite of my last pregnancy - I gained so little weight and measured so far behind that I had to have countless ultrasounds to check growth & fluid levels. Hmmm.

No talk of GD testing yet. Next appt is in 3 weeks so I guess we'll see then.

#12 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM

My MW is cool with me declining the GTT as long as I don't start showing any symptoms. She will schedule bloodwork this time, which is not my favourite thing ever; but I'm kinda curious to see what my iron levels are like. I had to give up on Floradix because of the expense, but I've been taking cheap supermarket iron tablets (and not very religiously)... My levels were at 38 and 36 earlier in the pregnancy, so hopefully they haven't dipped too far below that.

I do need to work on my eating. I was really good in the first trimester - two eggs every day, really conscious of getting enough protein, etc. I just realised yesterday that I've been hugely slacking off in that department! I did get my Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil and butter oil mix in the mail yesterday - I'd been taking the capsules, but according to the website I should have been taking about 20 a day, and I just couldn't deal with that. So I got the oil, which is cheaper anyway. Oh, man. It is VILE. I mean, of course it is, fermented cod liver has never exactly been a popular flavour enhancer, but my oh my. I hope I can force myself to take it regularly. I know it's the bee's knees for natural vitamins A and D and all that jazz, but yikes. And it's not even totally liquid, it has almost a creamed-honey consistency, so you can't just toss it down the back of your throat. Fun fun fun. I got mine down yesterday by chasing it with a cup of milk (well, OK, milk, cream and maple syrup - my new favourite drink), but... ick. DD wasn't too impressed with the taste either. :p

Speaking of which, I should have some breakfast other than the mini-cupcake I just ate.

I'm also WAY behind on my sewing and knitting. I had grand crafty plans for this baby, but I've just been so tired! I'm much more violently anti-sweatshop than I was when DD was born, though, so I'll need to get onto it or the poor kid won't have a lot to wear. Fortunately SIL's newborn seems to be gaining weight at a good rate, so he should be one or two sizes ahead of my baby and I can steal her clothes. His big brother was a really slow gainer for ages, so I was afraid her baby and mine might end up in the same size clothes despite the 4-month age gap! (Yes, I'm a loving aunt.) I have to finish making my mei tai, plus a ring sling, plus the kimono top I'm knitting and a hat to match, plus a bunch of little shirts and rompers and trousers (some of which are cut out, at least), plus winter clothes for DD - she needs a coat, a few wintry pinafores and tops, a fairy ballet costume for her birthday, a winter quilt for her bed (also for her birthday, in theory - hah! It's two weeks away!), and I wanted to sew her a backpack before the baby was born). PLUS maternity clothes for me! I got some handmedowns from a friend, but unless the weather gets cold and stays cold pretty fast, I'll still need more. I'm halfway through making both a dress and a top, but can't summon the oomph to finish them. It's pathetic!

27 weeks is the official start of the third trimester, right? I think I'm 26 weeks today, but I've lost count. Due on June 9. Can't be bothered doing the math. Anyone? :p

#13 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I am officially done with winter.  DONE.  I reserve the right to be cranky until the temps are consistently in the 60's.  Which, in Chicago, won't be until May.  Sigh...

My sewing machine is back and repaired! Yay!  I always feel kind of lost without it.  I am going to finish a couple of loose ends and then tackle the mound of repairs and alterations I have been gathering for the last couple of weeks.  If I can stay awake and alert this evening, I will have a very good chance of getting most, if not all of it DONE!!!!!

Annabelle, I will be sending you lots of smooth closing vibes.  DH has been in real estate for almost 10 years (which is why we have all the financial problems now, lol) and it just seems like banks are totally dragging their feet these days - even with very qualified buyers.  I hope this all ends quickly and easily for you!

TMI alert... I have been having the worst bowel issues lately.  I attribute some of it to stress, but I just really don't get it.  I eat well (balanced for the most part), exercise regularly, drink PLENTY of water and yet I am still as constipated now as I was in the first trimester when I could hardly drink anything.  I will have a few days of relief, but then several days of uncomfortable, painful issues.  I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  I don't take iron, don't eat meat, not too heavy on the dairy.... IDK what to think.  Any ideas, mamas?  I am also still nauseous, but I can tolerate it most of the time.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#14 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I'm also WAY behind on my sewing and knitting. I had grand crafty plans for this baby, but I've just been so tired! I'm much more violently anti-sweatshop than I was when DD was born, though, so I'll need to get onto it or the poor kid won't have a lot to wear. Fortunately SIL's newborn seems to be gaining weight at a good rate, so he should be one or two sizes ahead of my baby and I can steal her clothes. His big brother was a really slow gainer for ages, so I was afraid her baby and mine might end up in the same size clothes despite the 4-month age gap! (Yes, I'm a loving aunt.) I have to finish making my mei tai, plus a ring sling, plus the kimono top I'm knitting and a hat to match, plus a bunch of little shirts and rompers and trousers (some of which are cut out, at least), plus winter clothes for DD - she needs a coat, a few wintry pinafores and tops, a fairy ballet costume for her birthday, a winter quilt for her bed (also for her birthday, in theory - hah! It's two weeks away!), and I wanted to sew her a backpack before the baby was born). PLUS maternity clothes for me! I got some handmedowns from a friend, but unless the weather gets cold and stays cold pretty fast, I'll still need more. I'm halfway through making both a dress and a top, but can't summon the oomph to finish them. It's pathetic!

27 weeks is the official start of the third trimester, right? I think I'm 26 weeks today, but I've lost count. Due on June 9. Can't be bothered doing the math. Anyone? :p

You are due 3 weeks before I am, and I'm 23 weeks.  So 26 weeks sounds right for you!  I've seen 27 and 28 weeks as the official beginning of the 3rd tri, but I'm going with 27.  Mostly because it'll make me feel like LO will be here that much sooner.  orngbiggrin.gif

That is a huge to-do list!  I'd love to make my own maternity clothes, but the only patterns I can find that are specifically maternity are for scrubs and muumuus.  Up to this point I've been squeezing myself into my pre-baby clothes, but my belly's finally getting to the point where it doesn't fit in my shirts any more, and I'm starting to look ridiculous.  I have a few patterns for "normal" clothes that I think would work as maternity, but I thought the same about quite a bit of my wardrobe and was proven wrong on almost everything.  So now I'm a little hesitant to start cutting and sewing lest it end up being a complete waste of time. 

Do you have a pattern for the mei tai or ring sling, or are you just winging it?  I'd love to make my own carriers, but I'm not confident enough in my drafting abilities to try to come up with a pattern on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

TMI alert... I have been having the worst bowel issues lately.  I attribute some of it to stress, but I just really don't get it.  I eat well (balanced for the most part), exercise regularly, drink PLENTY of water and yet I am still as constipated now as I was in the first trimester when I could hardly drink anything.  I will have a few days of relief, but then several days of uncomfortable, painful issues.  I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  I don't take iron, don't eat meat, not too heavy on the dairy.... IDK what to think.  Any ideas, mamas?  I am also still nauseous, but I can tolerate it most of the time.

I'm sure being stuck inside in the cold is not helping things, either!  I started having issues a couple weeks ago, and decided after a couple days that constipation is for the birds and I needed to do something.  So I bought some Metamucil crackers and eat 2 servings a day.  No problems since! 

#15 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Tracy, if you've been drinking lots of water and eating lots o fiber and fresh fruits and veggies I'm not sure that there is much else you can do for the constipation. Aside from taking a laxative or stool softener, that is. If it's bothering you that much, it might be worth it. Stool softeners just pull more water into the colon so that it keeps the stool from drying out and it is easier to pass. It's a much more gentle way to prevent constipation IMO.

I always count the 2nd trimester as starting at 14 weeks and the 3rd as starting at 28 weeks. If you take the 40 weeks and divide it by 3, you end up with 13.333 and if you use 42 and divide by 3 you get 14 exactly.

Speaking of studying... I have a quiz tomorrow in my Med/Surg class that I need to go study for. Thankfully it's in the high 70s outside and sunny so off to the patio I go!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#16 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:

That is a huge to-do list!  I'd love to make my own maternity clothes, but the only patterns I can find that are specifically maternity are for scrubs and muumuus.  Up to this point I've been squeezing myself into my pre-baby clothes, but my belly's finally getting to the point where it doesn't fit in my shirts any more, and I'm starting to look ridiculous.  I have a few patterns for "normal" clothes that I think would work as maternity, but I thought the same about quite a bit of my wardrobe and was proven wrong on almost everything.  So now I'm a little hesitant to start cutting and sewing lest it end up being a complete waste of time. 

Do you have a pattern for the mei tai or ring sling, or are you just winging it?  I'd love to make my own carriers, but I'm not confident enough in my drafting abilities to try to come up with a pattern on my own.

I know what you mean about maternity clothes - patterns are SO hard to find! I've had this top half-done for ages (and now I'm not sure if I'll fit it, and the weather's getting cooler! Serves me right for being slack!). And I've made up (half) a dress that's very simple - skinny straps, basically gathered a bit at the neckline and falling down in a shapeless bag-like fashion. The plan was to wear it with a variety of belts, scarves, bolero tops etc to give it some shape by cinching it in under the bust. I'm sick of the sight of it, though, so that's another one that might not get done... I really should, though. I feel so guilty when I spend money and don't end up with a wearable item!

It's funny which clothes work with pregnancy, isn't it? This time I outgrew my jeans before I was even showing - they just rubbed very uncomfortably in the crotch, even though I could button them up fine. But I have a regular, slim-fitting button-down shirt which still fits at 26 weeks! I have no idea how. It's not stretchy, it wasn't loose-fitting before... but it works. Crazy. Sadly, even though I "carry well", I'm definitely at the tail end of the "getting away with regular clothes" stage. I have a pile of stretchy knits to make wintry maternity dresses out of, but the weather isn't right for it yet...

The mei tai was based off the Jan Andrea tute. I think it'll be awesome. :) I curved the top and added a short padded panel for a bit of head support, and also to hide the Velcro strip that will usually be attaching a pocket to the front of the carrier, so it can double as a handbag/nappy bag when we go out. I've used really nice quilting cotton, lined with denim from old jeans, and the straps will be semi-padded. All I need to do is make the straps and then quilt/sew the whole thing together; but again, I've been procrastinating. I am worried that it's a bit small - I used the "petite frame" measurements off the tute, even though I'm not really petite, just because the larger size looked huge on me when I held up a brown paper cutout. But I may have to make another, bigger version once the baby hits six months or so... we'll see!

I haven't even thought about the ring sling yet, but I doubt I'll buy a pattern - they must be pretty easy to make. I will have to order sling rings off the internet, though; apparently regular D-rings aren't considered safe or strong enough or something, and the sling-specific ones are hard to come by.

And after all that, I'll probably have another baby like DD, who hated being worn! I did give up too easily with her, though - this time I plan to try a bunch of different slings and wraps and just MAKE it work for us, otherwise we'll never get anything done!

#17 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:

It's funny which clothes work with pregnancy, isn't it? This time I outgrew my jeans before I was even showing - they just rubbed very uncomfortably in the crotch, even though I could button them up fine. But I have a regular, slim-fitting button-down shirt which still fits at 26 weeks! I have no idea how. It's not stretchy, it wasn't loose-fitting before... but it works. Crazy. Sadly, even though I "carry well", I'm definitely at the tail end of the "getting away with regular clothes" stage. I have a pile of stretchy knits to make wintry maternity dresses out of, but the weather isn't right for it yet...

I had a luncheon that I had to go to on Monday and I had NOTHING maternity to wear. I tried on a pair of slacks that are not maternity and used to actually be a little tight on me, and they fit! While I was thrilled that I had something to wear, I was frankly pretty horrified that I could comfortably wear non-maternity pants that used to be tight and I'm 6 months pregnant. It was a huge shock to me about the size that I was before getting pregnant with this bean. I just can't go back there! My goal is to never ever be able to wear those pants again. I want those suckers to fall off of me.

Jenni

#18 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM

I'm doing pretty well, though trying not to focus on what I'm doing wrong (no, I'm NOT eating 2 eggs a day! That's really hard! And I keep trying and falling short.) We watched a video of a birth in my Bradley class last night and it really shook me up. I can't fathom how I'm supposed to do what that woman did! Ack! It's all too much!

I got a speeding ticket today and I wanted to pull the "I'm pregnant" sympathy card (not that pulling the sympathy card has ever worked for me, but whatever) but it was for going 6 over the limit in a school zone so I didn't think that excuse would engender much in the way of good will. And I don't look "that" pregnant at first glance to the casual observer--I have to call attention to it or a lot of people still overlook it, though if you're paying attention you can tell.

#19 of 221 Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 PM

It's funny - before getting pregnant, I could eat two eggs a day EASY. I love eggs - boiled, scrambled, fried, whatever - and eggs fried in butter on toast with bok choy was my staple breakfast diet for a while.

But then I got sick in the first trimester for a while, and after that went inexplicably off food in almost all forms... and now I'm just so tired (and honestly, depressed) that I can't find time in the day to eat three meals, much less cook them. And for some reason, eggs still don't appeal. It's frustrating, because they're pretty much the perfect pregnancy food - choline, fat, protein, omega-3s, cheap, easy to prepare. But... meh. In fact, the thought of preparing or eating protein of any kind fatigues me - for some reason, carbs just seem "easier", even though that doesn't make a lot of sense. Not that I'm craving carbs, either. Heck, I wish I had cravings - at least I could then fulfil them and feel happy, instead of being in a permanent state of "meh, I should probably eat, but I can't be bothered". And I'm usually such a foodie!

Sorry for the whine. I've had a horrible week; I thought my depression was under control, but it's just resurfaced in a wave of self-loathing blubbering and vague suicidal impulses. Don't worry, I'm not likely to succumb to the latter; quite apart from other considerations, I can't think of a convenient, mess-free way to do it. But it sucks, anyway.

#20 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's funny - before getting pregnant, I could eat two eggs a day EASY. I love eggs - boiled, scrambled, fried, whatever - and eggs fried in butter on toast with bok choy was my staple breakfast diet for a while.

But then I got sick in the first trimester for a while, and after that went inexplicably off food in almost all forms... and now I'm just so tired (and honestly, depressed) that I can't find time in the day to eat three meals, much less cook them. And for some reason, eggs still don't appeal. It's frustrating, because they're pretty much the perfect pregnancy food - choline, fat, protein, omega-3s, cheap, easy to prepare. But... meh. In fact, the thought of preparing or eating protein of any kind fatigues me - for some reason, carbs just seem "easier", even though that doesn't make a lot of sense. Not that I'm craving carbs, either. Heck, I wish I had cravings - at least I could then fulfil them and feel happy, instead of being in a permanent state of "meh, I should probably eat, but I can't be bothered". And I'm usually such a foodie!

Sorry for the whine. I've had a horrible week; I thought my depression was under control, but it's just resurfaced in a wave of self-loathing blubbering and vague suicidal impulses. Don't worry, I'm not likely to succumb to the latter; quite apart from other considerations, I can't think of a convenient, mess-free way to do it. But it sucks, anyway.

I could have written this post - every bit of it.  The eggs, the depression, the lack of fondness for eating that I usually have, the depression (worth mentioning twice)... sigh... my biggest problem though is that combined with the depression comes fatigue and for me, that spells the ultimate in laziness.  Nothing gets done, I feel guilty which feeds into the depression, so still nothing gets done and the cycle continues.  I have no idea how to get it under control.  I have some homeopathic remedies that should help but haven't started them yet.

But, on a pleasant note, I did find these at the fabric store yesterday - how is it I am on my 3rd baby and did not know these pre-made wonders exist??!!  Brilliant!

Ugh, MIL is coming over today and she only has a vague idea of our financial issues.  DH will be here so I have to put on the "happy-smiley-everything's-great" show.  It's exhausting just thinking about it.

#21 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

But, on a pleasant note, I did find these at the fabric store yesterday - how is it I am on my 3rd baby and did not know these pre-made wonders exist??!!  Brilliant!

Ugh, MIL is coming over today and she only has a vague idea of our financial issues.  DH will be here so I have to put on the "happy-smiley-everything's-great" show.  It's exhausting just thinking about it.

I knew those panels existed, but never tried to use them. I made skirts w/ Eiley, out of plain knit for the panel. It worked okish.

I so hear you on the MIL visit and putting on a happy face, nothing is wrong. Dh is just like that and his family. I hate it. But now my MIL is passed and she no longer calls and that makes me sad. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#22 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

my biggest problem though is that combined with the depression comes fatigue and for me, that spells the ultimate in laziness.  Nothing gets done, I feel guilty which feeds into the depression, so still nothing gets done and the cycle continues.  I have no idea how to get it under control.  I have some homeopathic remedies that should help but haven't started them yet.

I know exactly what you mean!

I'm feeling a bit out of sorts too. Not a full-blown depression, just kind of cranky and unmotivated. I'm just so over winter.

I think a big part of my problem is that I stopped taking my omega 3/vitamin D tablets a couple of weeks ago because they were making me throw up. I need to get back on track with those. I'm going try taking them before bed so that I (hopefully) sleep through the nausea.

On the plus side, DH has been remarkably patient with me. He usually isn't this understanding, and it's made a huge difference. :)

#23 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 PM

I can chime in about the laziness and depression that's been creeping in on me too lately! We are in the middle of a home renovation and has gotten nowhere...  It really bothers me to have things unfinished and "dirty". My hubby works, goes to school, and is my handyman so he is really getting it from every which way right now. I try to do little things like paint and pick out all the things we need to buy but honestly all I feel like doing is laying on the couch with DD while she watches Dora.

I've been slowly talking my DH into hiring some of the work out so that I can get this house done before the baby comes! We have to put in on the market in July bc we are being relocated to OK in October. I got a painting estimate for the upstairs bedrooms, hallway, and two tiny bathrooms and it was $1200 :( I really wanted it to be around $750.... I don't think that I can talk DH into spending that kind of money. Even though that would take a huge load off of me!

Also been going through some food/poop issues with DD. She has drastically reduced the foods she will eat and last week started in with the diarrhea. It was baaaad for about 4 days and now it is just loose, frequent poops. I don't know what could be causing this other than fruit. She normally has 75/25 water/juice (which is Naked Green Machine or Simply Apple/Orange) I've cut out all the apple juice and been giving her water with just a splash of some orange juice, but the fruit thing has been harder. She will normally eat almost anything that I make, but here lately it's been no to literally everything. She has had some chicken nuggets, hotdogs, french fries, and pizza the last few days. <--- Terrible, I know!!! But I feel like she eats nothing and needs something in her belly! Funnily enough it seems that the "junk" food lets her have a better tummy day than the days that I force something healthful down her.

She does eat a big bowl of oatmeal every morning with a banana... so at least thats something :(

Here's to hoping that she eats some of the tuna and quinoa I'm making tonight!!

Can't believe it's March already! We are going to be so busy......

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#24 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Heh; I'm so over summer! I think I get reverse seasonal affective disorder, or something - I hate sun, I hate heat and I hate humidity, all of which we have in abundance right now. And DD still keeps crawling into our bed at night, all sticky and clammy and hot, and insists on adhering to me. I haven't slept through the night for... yikes, I dunno, over three years? So a few months' break before the new baby comes would be really, really nice. But between DD and the weather - nope.

Also, it's too hot to sew, which partly explains the lethargy/laziness/procrastination issue. I did get inspired and start making a baby shirt last night, though! It was already cut out, so I skipped the most awful part of the sewing process. :p (Well, except for the buttonholes, which I have yet to master...) Hopefully I'll finish it today, which might give me a slight sense of achievement...

What makes it worse is DH's freaking efficiency. He started his own business last year, which is booming; every day he gets fanmail from people who think his work is the best thing since smoked paprika; he makes tons of money per hour (not tons all up, exactly, but I imagine he'll be very successful in a few years); and is generally fulfilling the entrepreneurial dream. Slowly building up a passive income, writing ebooks, becoming respected in his field, yadda yadda.

None of which I should complain about, of course! I'm glad he's home, and doing well, and enjoying work for the first time in years (he was on a helpdesk for WAY too long before that, and going slowly stir-crazy). And part of the reason I married him was because I admired his brain. But right now, it just throws my own depression and general uselessness into stark relief. I don't feel good at anything, and I feel like DH thinks the less of me because I don't start up some fantastic working-from-home business. He says he doesn't, but I still feel vaguely like I'm unworthy of being half of a Successful, High-Flying Couple. He keeps coming up with totally impractical ideas, like "Well, don't be depressed, write a cookbook!" or "Well, if you feel useless, why don't you learn to do copywriting like me?", or "You should take a design course, I bet you could sell nice maternity clothes online", or "Well, finish your novel". It's sweet that he thinks I'm capable of these things, but I don't know who he expects to take care of DD while I'm doing it... (Plus, as I've tried to explain, being good at cooking doesn't exactly translate to "People will buy a cookbook from someone they've never heard of"... and so on.) So that just makes me feel even more lame. It's not that I want a job either - and sadly, with the marketable skills I possess, it'd only be a minimum-wage retail-type job anyway, which would hardly make me feel like DH and I were both on the same level of success - but I want to do something that makes me feel less like a useless drain on society. Except that I don't want to do anything. (And yes, I know the whole "You're creating a new life, that's an accomplishment" line, but right now I don't buy it. Fourteen-year-old drug addicts can "accomplish" that, so I'm not convinced it's a particularly unique or noteworthy contribution in my case.)

Clearly I should have married an underachieving dimwit so I could feel good about myself. :p

#25 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 PM

I can sympathize with feeling depressed. I have dealt with major depression since the age of 15 and it seems like my hormones just exacerbate it. I get REALLY depressed when it's cold and grey outside, which was a major factor in moving from the mountains of Oregon to the plains of North Texas. With the weather being better the past few weeks I've been outside in the sun as much as humanly possible. I've been doing my studying and reading on the patio in the sun, without sunscreen which is terrible because I'm so fair skinned! But I really don't want anything interfering with those UV rays on my skin. I just feel so much better when I get that daily dose of fresh air and pure sunshine.

I've been feeling really overwhelmed with all the projects on our house too. It's an old house, we moved in about 18 months ago, and there's ALWAYS something that needs to be done. The house stuff on top of my school stuff with baby stuff added to it has been a bit much for me lately. However, I was updating my school calendar a few minutes ago and I realized that I only have 4 clinical days left in my Med/Surg class! I have 7 days left in my Psych clinical, and only 3 of those are even in the hospital. We are somehow halfway through this semester already and it's such a relief to know that it will all be over in a few short weeks.

Jenni

#26 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM

Creating a new life may be something that lots of people can do, but not everybody can/does raise a kid WELL. You're investing your time in your daughter and soon in your new little one, and that's something, I think, and typically undervalued by society.

I had an omelet for breakfast this morning. that's 2 eggs out of the way for the day! Yeah!

#27 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I just feel so much better when I get that daily dose of fresh air and pure sunshine.

See, I don't. I think I'm immune to "cures". You know how people are always saying things like "I started taking 5-HTP and the difference in my mood was incredible", or "I can always tell when I've forgotten to take my spirulina", or "I feel great after I exercise"? I've tried all sorts of things along those lines, and I've never noticed a difference. I don't feel better when I eat less sugar; after going for a walk, I don't feel energised but hot, sweaty and tired; and every supplement on the market has had precisely zero noticeable effect on my mood/energy/health. (With the possible exception of my placenta capsules, which I do think delayed PPD until I forgot to keep taking them... I have some left over, but I'm not sure about taking hormoney stuff during pregnancy.) St John's Wort? Nothing. Vitamin D? Nothing. Protein-rich diet? Nope. B-complex for stress? Nada.

I keep taking some of them out of sheer bloody-mindedness, but it'd be really nice to find something that actually worked in a noticeable fashion.

Quote:
Creating a new life may be something that lots of people can do, but not everybody can/does raise a kid WELL. You're investing your time in your daughter and soon in your new little one, and that's something, I think, and typically undervalued by society.

I dunno; DD is pretty darn awesome, but I think that's despite me rather than because of me. :p I'm not a great parent; or a great housekeeper, come to that. I think I'd feel a lot better at SAHMing if I were; but as it is I keep thinking "I got a perfect score on my English SATs, how can I not keep the house clean??" - which is a total non sequiter, of course, but still. I mean, yes, in theory I'm all for valuing mothering and not measuring worth by money-making ability or having a high-flying career; and I honestly don't feel that other SAHMs are wasting their time or not doing their bit or anything. I just feel rotten about it for me, and rotten about life in general to boot. Meh. Grumble. Blah.

On the bright side: fish for lunch, chicken Caesar salad for dinner tonight - which, apart from being one of the few foods I get semi-enthusiastic about these days, contains a poached egg. And I have a mango lassi for breakfast - lots of yoghurt. So at least I'm eating OK today!

#28 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Totally agreed - at least here in the states.  I know that in other places in this crazy world parenthood is viewed with MUCH more reverence than it is here.  Cooking up a baby in your body, giving birth, raising the little people - this is the very most important thing we will ever do.  This is why I no longer stress about things like the crumbs on the kitchen counter, the fact that the vacuum has been sitting in the living room for a week and not been used in all that time, the dust on the bookshelves or any of that housekeeping nonsense.  I mean, my house is clean enough, but by no means am I a "good housekeeper."  I much prefer to play with toys, do art projects, walk to the park or read with my little ones - I think that every minute spent feeding their little sponge minds with the wonderment of the world is a minute spent very well indeed.  The rest of it can wait. 

MaryElizabeth, we struggled with loose, runny poops for a while around here, too.  I found that a a really good probiotic helped, as well as switching to sprouted grain bread.  I used to make a smoothie with banana, rice, wheat grass and yogurt and even though it sounds kind of gross, it actually tastes okay and DS would have some every morning for a while.  Good luck - I know how hard it is when their little digestive systems get all out of whack. 

#29 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Tracy I forgot to say prunes are helping me in that department. I eat 7 of these little one from the Sunsweet tub.

Crappy day here, lots of little irritations leading me to cry several times. And the juniper is pollinating. I have never been allergic to anything and even juniper until three years ago. I am miserable and of course my house is literally surrounded by the hateful trees, there are several right out my front door. I just started walking outdoors again and now I can't, at least until they stop.

#30 of 221 Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh!!! I totally hate prunes!!!  I want to love them, I really do.  I have tried them so, so many times and I hate them more and more as the years go by... I am thinking that I am just plagued with this stupid constipation until the end of this pregnancy.  Maybe I will have a very clear indication of when labor is about to begin because I will be emptying my bowels from the last several months (yes, yes, disgusting - sorry Sheepish.gif).  I upped the magnesium and will get a stool softener tomorrow (but I am not sure that will help - when I do go it's not hard at all).  Oy, way TMI !!!

Annabelle, allergies are the worst.  When I moved out west, I couldn't figure out why it felt like I had the flu for 3 months - alas, I was surrounded by hay farms and for the first time ever had severe allergies.  Hugs. It sucks.  The only advice I have is neti pot, saline nasal spray (or homeopathic spray -HEEL makes a good one) and massaging your sinuses.  Which I am sure you are already doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page