question for mamas with SPD/hip pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have recently (like a few days ago) developed this pain in the area of my right hip/pelvis.  It is absolutely terrible and for the life of me can't figure out where it came from.  I had been exercising nearly every day and I thought maybe I overdid it so I backed off for a couple of days.  When I got on the treadmill today, I started to walk at a slow and steady pace just to check things out, and after about 5 minutes, it felt like someone had shot me in the hip and I could barely get myself off the machine and down the stairs.  It is still extremely sensitive when using the stairs, moving from sitting to standing, etc...

So I just wanted to see what you BTDT mamas think - do you think this is an exercise related thing, or maybe SPD starting or just plain old pregnancy aches and pains?  The only thing I have to help me keep a clear mind these days is my exercising and I am struggling with having to back off.  

Any thoughts? love.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Is the pain in the front or the back? Front and center? Right groin area? Right front around where that pokey hip bone is (aka the anterior superior iliac spine)? In the back part of your hip/butt? The location makes a big difference about what could be causing the pain.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Is the pain in the front or the back? Front and center? Right groin area? Right front around where that pokey hip bone is (aka the anterior superior iliac spine)? In the back part of your hip/butt? The location makes a big difference about what could be causing the pain.

It is in the front, starting in the hip joint and radiating down towards my crotch.  I was thinking that it was the inguinal ligament but just not sure shrug.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Hmmm... okay... that does sound like inguinal ligament pain. If your pelvis is out of alignment it can put extra strain on that ligament, which will hurt. The excess weight and size of a baby in your uterus can do the same thing. And if you have the out of line pelvis along with the baby it's kind of a double whammy. You can try doing some gentle hip stretches to see if that helps. Unfortunately that area is hard to put ice on.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 8 Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM

What about when it feels like one's pubic bone is breaking in half in the very front center?  dizzy.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamanoley View Post

What about when it feels like one's pubic bone is breaking in half in the very front center?  dizzy.gif

That is SPD. Having a chiropractor adjust your hips, pelvis, and lower back can help that pain. I've had it before and it is awful!

Jenni

#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Mamanoley. Defintiely SPD!  If you have insurance, ask for a referral to a physical therapist who deals specifically with OB patients and is familiar with SPD. I am a regular chiro user and got zero relief from chiro, but great results from the PT and my insurance actually covered that. The PT doc did active and passive movements with my legs and 'adjustments' that felt somewhat like a chiro but she spent an hour with me doing them and repeating and that makes all the difference. Then I had some things to do at home which helped also. Heat/cold alternating on the area as well.

Tracymom1:  My SPD starts out with a pain in my right groin area where if I push my hand up on/into my right groin/thigh when I'm walking....all better. Or if I do deep stretches with my right foot up on the kitchen counter, knee bent. (This completely relieves the pain for about 2-3 mins LOL But I do it often hoping it will last longer!) It will feel alternately better/worse over the next few weeks. Then, within a few weeks to a month, I'll have the pubic bone splitting in half pain...I just know it.  My 'groin pull feeling' started this weekend, so I'm got it on my list to ask for a PT referral at the next OB appt as I won't wait like I did the last time!! Highly recommend PT if you have insurance that covers it. I felt instant relief.  Hopefully yours is just a muscle pull that a little TLC will help!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#8 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM

For SPD, this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299457315&sr=8-1 is a lifesaver.  Made the difference for me between crippling pain in my first pregnancy and (mostly) pain-free unhindered mobility in my second.  I can't say enough good things about it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page