How others see you - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday in a san of a half hour two cashiers commented on my belly. One asked, "Due any day", umm no, June. The other said something about not being pregnant in the summer. I said well I am due in June. She then proclaimed I was to have a big baby. I claim it was the dress I had on, but really I am big and so what, LOL.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#32 of 45 Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM

I somehow manage to end up on both extremes.  I've had multiple people at work tell me that I'm really small for how far along I am, and that I only look a couple of months pregnant.  And then I've had others that are convinced I'm having twins.  If I hear another person insist that I'll be giving birth in April or May because "that's when you're really due, your doctors must be wrong", I am going to smack them.  I had one "friend" (I use that term loosly because she annoys the crap out of me) argue with me for half an hour that THREE ultrasounds (5weeks, 12weeks, and 20weeks, which all gave the exact same duedate) are all wrong, my midwife is wrong, everything is wrong, and I'm actually due early May and the baby will be born big even then.  WTF.  It's not like I'm a whale.  I'm actually much smaller this time than I was with my other kids. 

Screw off, random people, and stop infuriating me by making stupid comments about my size!  Grr.

#33 of 45 Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 PM

It's cool enough here that I'm still in coats/sweaters/sweatshirts most of the time, so I have gotten a few "congratulations!" or "when are you due?" from random people. Mostly people don't notice though. I think as the weather warms up and my clothes get more form-fitting and less 'hibernation gear' I'll get more comments...

I am pretty sure that the other day at my kid's K-8 school I was mistaken for a middle schooler, not a parent. Srsly. Ah well, I can bask in my youthful looks and glare at all the teen parent haters.

I also had the following lovely conversation with a resident at my family practice clinic, when being screened for strep throat yesterday.
He goes "so have you been sexually active in the past month or two?"
me "nope."
him "okay, good, I just wanted to make sure..."
me "wait, what?"
him "oh, well if you thought you might be pregnant, i would choose a different antibiotic for you if you end up having strep"
me "but i am pregnant! i'm 6 months along"
him, totally blushing, "oh, gosh, i couldn't even tell....you don't look pregnant"
true, and i was sitting down at the time with a baggy sweater on, but i'm sure the info was in my chart! smile.gif

having looked at the pics on here, i can see that everyone carries differently and looks fabulous, ready to pop or not smile.gif

raising my two sunshine children.

#34 of 45 Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the yarn store yesterday and I don't really like the staff at this particular yarn store because they have a history of breathing down my neck and/or interrogating me about stuff, when I just want to pet the yarn in peace. I don't mind discussing my pregnancy with even casual acquaintances but I didn't want these strangers to start asking me a zillion questions, so I wore a big hoodie and succeeded in not looking pregnant enough to get comments on it. Score!

#35 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I went to the yarn store yesterday and I don't really like the staff at this particular yarn store because they have a history of breathing down my neck and/or interrogating me about stuff, when I just want to pet the yarn in peace. I don't mind discussing my pregnancy with even casual acquaintances but I didn't want these strangers to start asking me a zillion questions, so I wore a big hoodie and succeeded in not looking pregnant enough to get comments on it. Score!

LOL! I've discovered that if I wear a hoodie I don't really look pregnant either.

My kids play baseball (boy) and softball (girl) and one of the other moms is always asking me when my baby is due. I tell her at least once a week. And when I tell her "mid-June" she looks at my belly with this kind of strange, half-cocked expression like she's not sure I'm telling the truth. And I can't tell if that look is because she thinks I'm too small or too big for how far along I am. I've decided that she thinks I'm too small, mostly because it makes me feel better to think that. lol. And because I can still fit in a lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes, which is only possible because I was bigger to begin with and then I shrunk.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#36 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
My kids play baseball (boy) and softball (girl) and one of the other moms is always asking me when my baby is due. I tell her at least once a week.

That drove me NUTS last pregnancy... again, people at church. Every week: "So when are you due?" THE SAME AS LAST WEEK, LADY! It doesn't shift around! I could understand if they said "How many weeks along are you now?", because that number changes and I don't expect people to keep count. But if you care enough to ask every week when my EDD is, wouldn't you care enough to remember?

Although, maybe they got sick of me saying "Late March" and were trying to trick me into giving a more specific date. :p Either way, it was annoying.

This time I've started being proactive. When MIL said "Ooh, you're getting big!" last time I smiled and said wryly "Yes, so I get told six times a week at church", which led into a nice cosy discussion on the tactlessness of Other People. Hopefully I've managed to make her aware that I don't enjoy comments, without offending her - with any luck she'll think she's doing me a favour by giving me a break from all the comments Other People make. But we'll see. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#37 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

I've had multiple people at work tell me that I'm really small for how far along I am, and that I only look a couple of months pregnant.  And then I've had others that are convinced I'm having twins.

Last night I had one person tell me that I looked really huge given how far along I was, and then right after that another person told me I was carrying very small. I think of the two of them, the second person is actually right. It's just funny how everybody has these very specific opinions.

Since I started this thread, I seem to have crossed some invisible line in the sand and everybody comments on my pregnancy now! While they didn't even a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I'm that much bigger but maybe I just got to the right level of bigness.

#38 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

That drove me NUTS last pregnancy... again, people at church. Every week: "So when are you due?" THE SAME AS LAST WEEK, LADY! It doesn't shift around! I could understand if they said "How many weeks along are you now?", because that number changes and I don't expect people to keep count. But if you care enough to ask every week when my EDD is, wouldn't you care enough to remember?

It's made even worse by the fact that I see her 3 times a week! You'd think that someone I saw 5 days a week during football season, who knew I was pregnant then, who is on my Facebook where I have weekly updates, and who now sees me 3 times a week during baseball practice would be able to remember "June". Ugh. People can be so irritating.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#39 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM

I had an emotional breakdown today after my dad mentioned to me the comments that my step mom made about seeing a picture of my belly. Normally these things don't get to me, but I think the exhaustion is really kicking in. Just the other day she called and wanted to "give advice" that I shouldn't plan DD's birthday party 2 weeks before the babe's due date. <---really? why do you care? I get extremely frustrated that she has an opinion about EVERYTHING and usually it is very antequainted and well... the opposite from mine. Well she decided to tell my dad to tell me that I was really "big" and this baby was going to be huge and there is no way that I can have him naturally bc he must be coming early. Really?? bc I'm actually measuring small... I'm weighing less at this point than I was with DD and the last time I checked it wasn't ok to tell a pregnant woman that she is huge! My poor Dad felt terrible for telling me and apologized after he heard the tone of my response "Actually I'm measuring small, my belly just looks larger on my small frame..."

Normally this never bothers me! I am so used to hearing her "advice" on everything from pregnancy to how I should wash my dishes. But for some reason it really made me angry today. SO ANNOYING!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#40 of 45 Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

MaryElizabeth: Ugh. That sounds REALLY annoying!

I've been wearing a black cloak recently in lieu of a dressing gown (it's actually a Darth Vader cloak my mum made for me when I was a teenager!), and noticed today that I can fake being un-pregnant in it. :p (Think Avery wearing the Harry Potter cloak in 30 Rock...) Sadly, I'm too staid and matronly these days to wear a Darth Vader cloak out of the house. I used to wear it to swordfighting classes... one time I had my hair down (it was sittable-on-length) and a passing small girl said "Look Mummy, a witch!". Those were the days...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#41 of 45 Old 03-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Again today, same day, I got both "wow you're carrying really small", and "OH MY GOD ARE YOU SURE ITS NOT TWINS???"  Same freaking day.

It's driving me nuts. =(

#42 of 45 Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM

I'm June 28th... so get ready for the tripling in baby weight we are about to experience!  I go to school at a private Methodist law school (scholarship?  Yes, please... I'll go wherever), so I get all kinds of judging looks if I'm carrying books and people can't see my wedding ring.  I guess they assume I am an undergrad or something who is fairly obviously pregnant.  However, I thought I was HUGE at 20 weeks... just looked at the pics and it was NOTHING.  I now don't feel like I'm getting all that much bigger, but I see a girl at work once a week and she says it is definitely becoming more and more obvious.  I say, enjoy that you can eat bad things in public and people don't even blink an eye :)

#43 of 45 Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amers176 View Post

I'm June 28th... so get ready for the tripling in baby weight we are about to experience!  I go to school at a private Methodist law school (scholarship?  Yes, please... I'll go wherever), so I get all kinds of judging looks if I'm carrying books and people can't see my wedding ring.  I guess they assume I am an undergrad or something who is fairly obviously pregnant.  However, I thought I was HUGE at 20 weeks... just looked at the pics and it was NOTHING.  I now don't feel like I'm getting all that much bigger, but I see a girl at work once a week and she says it is definitely becoming more and more obvious.  I say, enjoy that you can eat bad things in public and people don't even blink an eye :)

I go to a private Christian university where the average student age is 20 or 21. I am an undergrad, but I'm 31, and I get allllll kinds of looks from other students. Most of them looking somewhat horrified and I'm sure they're thinking, "Oh em gee!! She is like pregnant! Why is she allowed out in public??!!"  lol   Luckily I have much better reactions from the students that I'm actually in the nursing program with or I'd probably dread coming to school.

Jenni

#44 of 45 Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I go to a private Christian university where the average student age is 20 or 21. I am an undergrad, but I'm 31, and I get allllll kinds of looks from other students. Most of them looking somewhat horrified and I'm sure they're thinking, "Oh em gee!! She is like pregnant! Why is she allowed out in public??!!"  lol   Luckily I have much better reactions from the students that I'm actually in the nursing program with or I'd probably dread coming to school.

Exactly!  I am starting to get to the point where I don't leave the law school because I feel really exposed... when I should be ENJOYING the attention, dangit.  A car full of girls actually drove by and openly stared and did that whole whispering thing to themselves.  I feel like I have a scarlet "A" or something on me! 

#45 of 45 Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amers176 View Post

Exactly!  I am starting to get to the point where I don't leave the law school because I feel really exposed... when I should be ENJOYING the attention, dangit.  A car full of girls actually drove by and openly stared and did that whole whispering thing to themselves.  I feel like I have a scarlet "A" or something on me! 

I feel like wearing a shirt with a big arrow that points right at my belly that says, "THIS is what your momma warned you about!" ROTFLMAO.gif

I had a baby shower at school on Tuesday and my friends were helping me carry bags and stuff back to the car. The looks on the faces of the other students just walking around outside were priceless. I swear to you that some of them gave me a wider berth in case I was contagious. eyesroll.gif

amers176 likes this.

Jenni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page