How others see you - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since I'm a little on the "young" side in this DDC (due June 21) and also a first-timer, I am probably a little behind the size curve relative to some posters here--but everybody can probably relate anyway. I've found it interesting to notice how other people respond to how pregnant I look, since last week was the first time I'd had a stranger assume I was pregnant (not counting a time on a bus 2 months ago when I was wearing a huge cloak). What I've noticed is that people do not ask or say anything, for the most part, but when I mention it they don't seem at all surprised, which makes me think I'm still in a stage of "I bet she's pregnant but I don't want to ask in case she's just chubby".

Anyway, I just thought this was interesting. How about you? Where are you in this process?

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#2 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Most people instantly respond to DD and her putting on a show :) then they look at me and say " HOLY COW you're going to have another already????" yuup and by the way people... they will be 2 years apart... not 9 months. It's not that crazy, or even crazy AT ALL. 

I also get the mean stares from people thinking I'm a teen mom. Those are cute. 

Generally though, people are sweet and just give the smile. Older people always ask when I'm due, gender, and what we are naming him. I always have my generic answer ready--- " Due in June, it's a boy, we haven't decided yet" I'm thinking of printing a t-shirt with this info on it :)

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#3 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Yeah, there's no questions here - I definitely look pregnant.  Really pregnant.  I am sure the "you're not due until JUNE???" comments are going to start any day now.

If my other 2 little ones are with me, I often get comments about how close in age they are and how tired I must be (all less than 2 years apart) but it really doesn't bother me.  I used to get peeved when people would say things like "how are you going to manage with another one?" and what-not, but I can't say I really care what other people do or say.  And I know a lot of mamas who have lots more babies than I do and manage just fine, so I just draw off the wisdom and strength that they show (Annabelle).  

I actually like the attention I get from being pregnant.  It helps me remember what a miracle it is to grow a baby!!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM

People can tell I am definitely pregnant. People see me with DD #3 and say, "is this your second?" and I laugh and say nope, we have a 21 y.o. and 19 y.o. as well and they usually say "oh my" and then DH loves to tell them our whole 8 years of infertility and an adoption in between story *LOL*

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#5 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Lately when I'm out with my two older girls and they are fighting I think people are saying "That lady should REALLY not be having another one!"  I also get the "JUNE?!!" comments.  I'm huge.  Get over it!  :)

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm the fat chick people *think* is pregnant but are way too scared to ask in case I respond that I'm not pregnant accompanied by a face like this ---> irked.gif ... lol I was large before pregnancy and although I think I totally look pregnant and people who know me can tell, I can see where people who don't may be leery to ask. Typically, they will hint something like, "so...is she your only so far...?" about dd (presumably to test the waters lol) then I respond with, "and another coming in June" with an affectionate pat of my belly. Then, they look happy and relieved because their assumption was right and general pregnancy talk ensues (do you know what you're having etc).

It's a fun little dance lol

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#7 of 45 Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

I'm the fat chick people *think* is pregnant but are way too scared to ask in case I respond that I'm not pregnant accompanied by a face like this ---> irked.gif ... lol I was large before pregnancy and although I think I totally look pregnant and people who know me can tell, I can see where people who don't may be leery to ask. Typically, they will hint something like, "so...is she your only so far...?" about dd (presumably to test the waters lol) then I respond with, "and another coming in June" with an affectionate pat of my belly. Then, they look happy and relieved because their assumption was right and general pregnancy talk ensues (do you know what you're having etc).

It's a fun little dance lol

Yes, that is me, too!! Though I'm a plus-sized gal, I actually think I look way more blatantly pregnant this time around. But sometimes I think people see my 20-month-old and assume I just haven't lost the baby weight or something (actually, I hadn't lost it all when I got pg when DD was 14-months-old, but then morning sickness helped me with that!). I also get a lot of shocked remarks on how close the girls will be, but they're due two years apart, not exactly scandalous...

Last week I mentioned to another mom that my daughter was going to be a big sister and she looked at her and looked at my belly and said "Are you her nanny?" "No, I'm her mom, and I'm due with another baby in three months." Baffled stare. I'm still not sure what confused her, but luckily my daughter ran off and I had to chase her :)! 

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#8 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM

People think I look huge.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#9 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Today is the first day that customers have commented on my belly, which is kinda fun! My coworkers always comment on how small it is, but I attribute that mostly to being 6'+ tall and having lots of space for baby to hang out in. I'm pretty sure the comments will be coming in more while on errands and such. Hard to tell with a sweater and a long coat! I'm 24w now.

#10 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM

I look like I swallowed a basketball. People stare.

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#11 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

What I've noticed is that people do not ask or say anything, for the most part, but when I mention it they don't seem at all surprised, which makes me think I'm still in a stage of "I bet she's pregnant but I don't want to ask in case she's just chubby".

This is me too. People seem relieved when I mention that I'm pregnant, because they're 97% sure, but not willing to risk asking. winky.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#12 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm getting a lot of "June? You're so TINY!" But I feel like I'm really popping finally! Even though this is my 2nd, I haven't really been obviously pregnant looking until the past few weeks (22-25 weeks).

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#13 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've JUST started to get comments about my tummy being big (or, according to one woman today, "fat"). I don't think I've suddenly gotten huge; I show late and tend to measure small (long torso, thinnish), so I've only just started wearing maternity tops, which emphasise the tummy. On days when I wear my non-maternity shirts I look a lot smaller. So I think it's just a perception thing.

Unfortunately I'm not too keen on personal remarks at the best of times, and during pregnancy I can get downright antisocial; so it grates on me when people comment. I still get people asking what sex the baby is, too, which we've known for months (well, nearly two months, anyway!), and the reactions to that annoy me too. There are the people who Approve of Boys, which I find obnoxious because I'm one of six girls; and of course the "now you've got one of each, how perfect!" comments, which always make me want to retort that we were hoping for another girl. I don't mind talking pregnancy ad nauseum with my friends, but acquaintances are the death of me. I have a friend who holed up for several months before she had her baby, and still hasn't come back into society several weeks after he was born... I know how she feels!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallardBaby View Post

Yes, that is me, too!! Though I'm a plus-sized gal, I actually think I look way more blatantly pregnant this time around.

Me, too.  I am plus-sized, but this baby is way more noticeable than the other 3 were.  I'm due June 19th.  She is just "basketball-y". LOL  People definitely know I am pregnant this time around and say so.

I've actually lost about 12 lbs, but I can always count on my 86 year old grandma to comment on my "largeness".  Thanks, Grandma!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#15 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 AM

I am expecting in July and people can definitely make that outpeace.gif

I too sometimes get, "JULY??" look as if they thought I was due next month twins.gif

#16 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I don't mind talking pregnancy ad nauseum with my friends, but acquaintances are the death of me.

Oh, this, a million times over.  It drives me nuts when the cashier at the grocery store asks me when I'm due and what I'm having.  I know they're trying to be nice, so I don't usually spew crazy all over them, but I really don't understand why pregnancy questions are seen as fair game for small-talk.  The impending birth of my child is not exactly on the same level as "nice weather we've been having, eh?". 

I think a lot of the "whoa, you're so big!" comments are coming from the fact that we don't really see VERY pregnant women very often.  Movie stars usually go into hiding around 7 or 8 months (because who wants to wear 4" heels when you're toting an extra 30 lbs?), and I read somewhere that most maternity models are at 5 or 6 months when their pictures are taken (because even in pregnancy, advertising isn't effective if it's not making someone feel insecure), so pregnant women people might see in TV or in movies or wherever are almost never full-term.  Add to that women going into hiding their last month to avoid insensitive verbal ejaculations about their size, and it really seems like our perception of a normal woman's size at 9 months is skewed. 

OrangeMoon likes this.
#17 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 03:26 PM

That makes a lot of sense! (Side note, I saw a pregnancy model with stretch marks the other day. It was refreshing! I guess if most pregnant models are only 5-6 months, that might explain why they don't have any... well, that and airbrushing, probably.) I've certainly read my share of "[Actress] glowing on the red carpet, ready to pop" captions under women who didn't look nearly full-term... maybe the captioners were clueless about tummy size, or maybe they just figured an "It's amazing she didn't give birth right there at the premiere!" caption would be more dramatic? :p

Oddly enough, I don't mind strangers' comments so much... cashiers and bus drivers and so on. It's people I know slightly that drive me nuts - actually, to be perfectly honest, it's mostly people from church. We come from a small, nosy church. :p Some of the people are lovely, mothers themselves, always up for a good gabfest about placentas and labour trauma and breastfeeding, and that's fine; I've had some great conversations with one woman who had twins, and another who has some funny labour stories. But then there are people who don't generally talk to us, and who give the impression that they're checking up on the pastor's daughter to make sure she's doing things the Right Way, ie. the correct number of children with the correct spacing and correct sexes in the correct order. Which, naturally, differs from person to person. So that's fun. :p I'm probably a bit sensitive about it because of my living-in-a-fishbowl pastor's-kid bringing-up... it reminds me how everyone from church felt they had the right to come to our wedding, even if they didn't know us, because I was the pastor's daughter and they (sometimes) came to church! I know pregnancy makes you public property anyway, it's just our church seems to amplify that.

Oh well. Someone I barely knew passed along some brand-new baby shoes yesterday at church, so that was cool. And we will doubtless receive many casseroles after the baby's born, which DH will once again refuse to eat because he likes my cooking better. People do mean well, I'm just grumpy and misanthropic.

#18 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 04:41 PM

I don't mind questions about myself or about my pregnancy, but I am getting sick of hearing you are huge. Heard it at church again today. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#19 of 45 Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Yeah, I posted a belly pic on facebook and everyone immediately came back with "OMG, look at how big you are!" yes, thank you very much.  Not one person said anything nice!  Last time I post a pic like that on FB - learned my lesson!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#20 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 AM

I don't mind the "Big" and "huge" comments... in fact, I like them! Being big and huge has nothing to do with my weight, it's my baby, I can't possibly be offended by that. :) Plus, it's not like I don't realize it too: I'm pretty massive!  From about week 17 onward all I get is, "You must be ready to pop any minute now".

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#21 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 AM

In my good moments, I get that people aren't talking to me, they're talking to themselves.  That realization makes it a bit more bearable.  But I agree that it's the acquaintances who really rub me the wrong way.  I posted this as my facebook status yesterday:

Dear Unsuspecting Public,
Pregnant women are volatile combinations of hormones and emotion. If you feel the need to comment on the appearance of a pregnant woman, be advised that the safe choice is "You look great!" She likely knows her belly is big and she's getting waddly and so forth.
Thank you,
Crankypants

and got a lot of "you're beautiful!" responses, which was cute :)

homestyle likes this.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#22 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Yeah, I posted a belly pic on facebook and everyone immediately came back with "OMG, look at how big you are!" yes, thank you very much.  Not one person said anything nice!  Last time I post a pic like that on FB - learned my lesson!

Aww! hug2.gif Have people seriously still not got the memo about not commenting on size? A simple "Cute belly!" would suffice.

I don't mind the pregnancy chit-chat at all. The only thing that bothers me is fat comments and personal questions, especially: "We're you trying?". That one has always skeeved me out a bit, even from close friends. Do people really need to know about our sex life?

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#23 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 AM

I second all of this! well... except for the just now getting huge thing---i've been that way since the day I found out almost! eeeh...   everyone likes to comment on how we have one of each now---really? that's great, bc we were hoping for another girl.... I wish I could say this to people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I've JUST started to get comments about my tummy being big (or, according to one woman today, "fat"). I don't think I've suddenly gotten huge; I show late and tend to measure small (long torso, thinnish), so I've only just started wearing maternity tops, which emphasise the tummy. On days when I wear my non-maternity shirts I look a lot smaller. So I think it's just a perception thing.

Unfortunately I'm not too keen on personal remarks at the best of times, and during pregnancy I can get downright antisocial; so it grates on me when people comment. I still get people asking what sex the baby is, too, which we've known for months (well, nearly two months, anyway!), and the reactions to that annoy me too. There are the people who Approve of Boys, which I find obnoxious because I'm one of six girls; and of course the "now you've got one of each, how perfect!" comments, which always make me want to retort that we were hoping for another girl. I don't mind talking pregnancy ad nauseum with my friends, but acquaintances are the death of me. I have a friend who holed up for several months before she had her baby, and still hasn't come back into society several weeks after he was born... I know how she feels!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#24 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 09:27 AM

OMG I love that Facebook post and am totally going to steal it if you don't mind.

Generally I'm just amused by the varying responses pregnant women get.  I've gotten the 'you are only xx weeks along? -- you are really showing!' remarks on the same day that I've gotten the 'No way! You hardly even look pregnant!' remarks...eyesroll.gif.

I will say that since this is my second kiddo that things aren't so well contained this time around which I am actually very happy about.  With #1 I was well into the third trimester before I got over the awkward--maybe she's pregnant or maybe she just gains all her weight in the tummy--period.  I love being pregnant and think pregnant women are so beautiful! 

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#25 of 45 Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM

steal away.  it's a PSA that needs to be spread far and wide, sounds like :)

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#26 of 45 Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Postand of course the "now you've got one of each, how perfect!" comments, which always make me want to retort that we were hoping for another girl

Yeah, this assumption bothers me too... it's hell hearing it as a mother who lost a child. I had a little girl, had my son die, and then had a second son some time later. Hearing all these people saying, "How perfect! Now you have a pefect family with one of each!" was heartbreaking. My family would have been 'perfect' at that time with my TWO boys and one girl, screw your norms! (forgive the bad language)

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#27 of 45 Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM

It's funny for me to see people that I haven't seen in a while because they all say that I "finally" look pregnant. And now I have people rubbing my belly, which I like as long as I know the person who is doing it. :) 

I must look actually pregnant now because total strangers are starting to ask how far along I am. I much prefer that to the wondering looks of people who want to ask but are afraid to say anything in case I'm just fat. lol

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#28 of 45 Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this assumption bothers me too... it's hell hearing it as a mother who lost a child. I had a little girl, had my son die, and then had a second son some time later. Hearing all these people saying, "How perfect! Now you have a pefect family with one of each!" was heartbreaking. My family would have been 'perfect' at that time with my TWO boys and one girl, screw your norms! (forgive the bad language)

Oh yikes... I hadn't even thought of that. That's awful. :(

#29 of 45 Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM

I get a lot of "wow, only three months until your due date?" "Where are you hiding him?", etc. I don't mind too much, especially this time around. I know this is just how I carry babies. I'm tall with a long waist and there is lots of room to spread out in there smile.gif I still see people eyeing me uncertainly, though. I have become very familiar with the "Is she pregnant, or just gaining weight?" look.

Wife of a wonderful husband and love.gif mommy to Alice 6/09 and Jude 6/11. belly.gifExpecting a new someone 9/19/13!

#30 of 45 Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 AM

Almost no one comments on my pregnancy. I figure I either look busy or grumpy or busily grumpy. I'm so grateful! This is my 6th so I've take my share of listening to HOW GIGANTIC I AM in the past and I haven't had to many endure comments about the sex of my children and how they fit into the ideals of strangers since my 1st daughter was born. Last night a man told me "you need to stop having babies" and well, I handled it with all the grace I could. Just make my burrito, fool. Mostly I get comments on the atrocity of having so many children. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page