Mothering Forum banner

Cervix at 26/27 weeks

17K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  littleteapot 
#1 ·
I have long 'checked myself' periodically since I used NFP for about 5 years. Throughout my previous pregnancy, my cervix was always out of reach (I don't try that hard and yes, I wash hands thoroughly, etc.), even for my midwife at the very end. I have checked myself twice during this pregnancy for reassurance I guess...or habit. Anyway, it had been since about 20 weeks since I checked and I don't know whether to be alarmed. I could feel my cervix (although no baby pressing or anything) and it was soft and somewhat open. I didn't touch any further as to not irritate anything, but it was definitely less 'stirring up' than say, sex. I'm not having contractions and feel fine, but should I be concerned that I'm already dialating? Midwife doesn't check me at all and we weren't planning on having any official checks. However, I don't want to ignore something as serious as possible pre-term labor. Paranoid you think or should I contact my midwife? I'm not overly active, but do all the things you have to do when you have two kids! I know you can't give medical advice, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this or if you think I should be concerned. By the way, I did have an ultrasound last week and all was perfect with baby...they didn't check my cervix, though.

#3 ·
I know many times the more pregnancies you have you can be 'fingertip' open on the outside but closed up tight inside. If you're concerned, ask your MW to take a little peek for reassurance :)

FYI, I can feel my cervix and though it's pretty high, it's always fingertip open even during pregnancy right at the 'tip' of the cervix.

#4 ·
Yea, I didn't feel too much so as not to disturb so I'm not sure. I just asked my L&D nurse friend and she said she thinks it's fine unless I'm having contractions, blood, mucus plug, etc. I'm not so I'm going to go with 'just a third pregnancy' thing. However, we were joking that I should tell dh that it requires strict bedrest and that he needs to watch the kids and clean the house.
winky.gif

#5 ·
I check myself not pregnant for fertility, I have checked a few times each pregnancy since my first UP and found that by 27-28 weeks my outer os is dilated 4-5, but my inner os is closed. No big deal, just my way and yours as well. If you have birthed vaginally you will always be slightly open. My cervix is also very squishy and the neck has shortened, totally normal.

#6 ·
I met a woman last weekend who told me she was walking around at 4-5cm the last few weeks of her pregnancy. Considering I was only 2 when I showed up at the hospital last time, I will be glad to know I might already be that when labor begins this time. :) I wouldn't worry unless you're showing other signs of preterm labor.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootinBrooklyn View Post

I met a woman last weekend who told me she was walking around at 4-5cm the last few weeks of her pregnancy. Considering I was only 2 when I showed up at the hospital last time, I will be glad to know I might already be that when labor begins this time. :) I wouldn't worry unless you're showing other signs of preterm labor.
That was me last time around, but I was only checked at 35 weeks and then had her at 41 weeks. The midwife was sure I was going to have her early because I was a solid 4 at 35 weeks. Nope. I guess maybe that's just the way my body does it, I just wasn't able to reach it last time around.

#8 ·
Since this isn't your first pregnancy, it's pretty normal for your cervix to be dilated a cm or two the whole time. Generally that level of dilation is only on the outside of the cervix and not the inside where the baby is. If you're not bleeding, cramping, discharging fluid or lots of mucous there's nothing to be concerned about.

#9 ·
How does this sit with you. If you didn't check your own cervix, as most women don't, you wouldn't notice any signs that something might be happening, so wouldn't be worried about it at all. It is perfectly normal, and quite common, to not have the cervix checked until well into labour (not at all during pregnancy), sometimes not at all. Given that, in absence of other signs, is there anything to worry about? If you were cramping/contracting and/or there was blood, then I'd have it checked out. I hope you aren't too worried.

#10 ·
My last two pregnancies I was hanging around at 3cm or so through the last few weeks! With my second, I actually got as far as 4.5-5cm dilated before labour ever began!! When I checked myself I once accidentally touched my baby still in my womb, and he immediately startled and moved aside... to this day it's one of the single most amazing moments of a pregnancy: I touched my unborn child and he responded to me. That's pretty damn amazing!

This time I'm a wide open 2cm already, at 30 weeks! I can easily fit a finger (with room) straight through, and if baby was dropped I could probably feel her! Don't worry too much about it. It doesn't really mean anything. :) If you've had babies before chances are you'll be soft, effaced and maybe even a little dilated right from the very beginning... it's pretty normal. It's only worrisome if it's accompanied by regular, strong contractions that are getting closer together, more intense, not responding or wavering when you drink water/change position/take a bath/take a nap AND it's causing your cervix to open up further. The dilation of your cervix is only one part of what makes a baby come out, and it's not even the most important part. ;) All the blocks have to line up first!

Don't worry about risk of infection too much. You're immune to your own germs and it's actually much safer for YOU (and your partner) to be sticking stuff up there than it is for your midwife at her office, (or worse, a doctor at a hospital) in terms of germ exposure. There's nothing you're going to put up there, in the privacy of your own home, that isn't already up there.

#11 ·
I simply can't check myself. Sticking my finger up there is akin to sticking my own finger in my eye. It just squeebs me out. I don't know why. I just can't bring myself to do it! Never have been able to, lol.

Like others have said, I wouldn't stress too much. A girl at work was telling me yesterday that she walked around at EIGHT cm for the last 2 weeks of her pregnancy. She admitted that this wasn't typical (the doctors were very alarmed, wanted her admitted stat, and she flat out refused because she knew she wasn't anywhere near in labour).

My worry is that I'll find out I'm dialating, and then get all excited that it must be "almost time", and then end up overdue and disappointed. ;) I'm so ready for this baby to come! She's kicking my butt in there! Strong little bugger. =/

#12 ·
You can't actually walk around 8cm dilated without labour because 6cm is as far as you can dilate without pressure of the baby's head from late labour contractions (this is why you hear so many stories of women "stalling" at 6cm with failed inductions). :) Her doctors were probably exaggerating a little bit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.