Braxton Hicks Contractions - How many is TOO many? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my third pregnancy, so I'm by no means in a panic about this.  It's just...odd.  I'm a walking contraction.  My partner is getting sick of hearing me say "Ouch, sec, contraction, wait for me!"  I'm staying hydrated, resting when they start, and doing everything I know how to do.  I don't remember them being this...excessive with the other pregnancies?  It's all day, and often they really HURT.  To compound the issue, I felt the baby get into position yesterday (she was previously side to side, in a bit of a cradling position) which is making them more frequent and painful.  It's not fun.

I mentioned it to my midwife at my last appointment, and she said that if it keeps up she could have me checked to see if the contractions are actually doing anything.  But I don't want to rush in to get checked unnecessarily for anything.  This is my third, I shouldn't be freaking out over every little thing! =) 

Is there a point where I should say "Ok, this is too much, time to get checked", or is it actually normal to be in constant contraction-mode like this, three months away from my due-date??

Andrea Lindo likes this.
#2 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Could you have a UTI or vaginal infection? Because those can both cause contractions. Walking causes them for me :) I am trying to have better posture so that her head doesn't lay into my bladder and make me contract.

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

#3 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 AM

This is my third, too...and I also have WAY more braxton hicks than before. Mine are just an uncomfortable tightening, though...they don't hurt. For me, they are definitely worse when I'm overdoing it/walking too much.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#4 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 02:18 PM

My fifth pregnancy and I get them allllll the time.  Usually position changes, full bladder (or after emptying bladder), rolling over in bed, walking too much, standing too much, too long a car ride....um...yeah...all the time. LOL  I wouldn't say mine 'hurt', but then again I don't even think labor contractions hurt until the last few pushing ones so I am not someone good to ask in that respect as I have pretty much painless labors.

If they are getting into a rhythm, more than 6 (some say 8 or even 10) an hour and keeping up no matter what you're doing, then it's something to worry about. But, if lying down, or drinking water, or resting calms them, they are probably just BH and the more pregnancies you've had, the more you will get them!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#5 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 PM

It's only too many if a baby comes out at the end of one. ;)

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#6 of 20 Old 03-19-2011, 03:46 PM

I asked my MW about this at last appt. I'm FTM but all my friends seem to think they didn't get them at all at this point. I think they just didn't pay attention as much as I do though.
But she sd as long as they aren't 10 min apart and regular, or anything u do to stop them (ie lay down, drink water, etc) doesn't stop them, then u r ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#7 of 20 Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

It's only too many if a baby comes out at the end of one. ;)

Ha!!

No infections or UTI that I know of.  I was recently tested for a UTI after my protein test (I think that's what it is? Man I'm foggy at this) came back a little high. 

I've convinced myself that if a baby DOES come out at the end of one of these, I'm far enough along that she'll be fine. ;)  Or maybe it's my body's way of painfully prepping me, so that when I DO go into labour, it'll practically tickle in comparison? ;)  Hey I can wish, right!?  =)

#8 of 20 Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 AM

I have a lot of them this time around, too (and it is also my 3rd). I am definitely hydrated and I don't have a UTI, so I am just chalking it up to the amazing, expanding and ever-changing uterus! I probably get them a few times an hour - and they most certainly are more painful than I remember last time. I think the time to "worry" is when they start coming at regular intervals and increase with intensity.

I think you have the right attitude! Just your body's way of preparing!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#9 of 20 Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM

It's interesting that we're all bringing this up, because it's been on my mind a lot. I have them often as well, most of all during our long walks. I just stop for a second and let it happen then keep going ... I am completely phobic of going into preterm labor, despite everything that I know. When they happen I just remind myself that that aren't rhythmic and they don't hurt.

I've also been noticing the LO playing around alot more, lower near the cervix which is a strange sensation. I have to get used to being ok with her being down there, but I always jump and am like, excuse me little miss! If anyone has any ideas re: conscious thinking about these sensations let me know!

treehugger.gifIn love with dh and mama to dd, born at home 6/3/2011 stillheart.gif

#10 of 20 Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM

I am SO glad to see this thread! I too have been having way more BH this time around, though it's only my second. I've also been feeling a lot of activity around my cervix, making me almost certain that I'm dilating a little.

My MW says my daughter is about as low as she can possibly be at this point in pregnancy (30 weeks), so I'm probably just feeling her ramming into and resting on my cervix. Jeez! Honestly, with this pg, the BH started at around 11 weeks though they didn't really come back in full force until more recently.

My MW said as long as I don't see any mucus, pink-tinges on my panties or blood we will just assume all is well. I figure that they just don't check women that often this early, so they don't realize how many of us are actually starting to dilate at this point. It certainly makes sense that we'd get going earlier, but I agree it's sometimes challenging to not worry. Especially when I tell friends and SO many of them say they never had any contractions until the day the baby came out... So glad we are all in this together and I'm not the only person who knows what's going on in my body!

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#11 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 AM

I am right there with you all.  Third preg. and I have them a LOT.  I don't remember having this many, but then again the last time I was peg. was over 19 years ago winky.gif I definitely feel more tingling in the pelvic/cervix region.  I am also one of those that don't find labor pains painful except when I am at the "Ring of Fire" stage which also is the reason my last one was born 20 min after getting to the hospital.  My midwives always tell me to pay attention to how long and far apart they are and not comfort *LOL*

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#12 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM

i had them like crazy with my last pregnancy (#1) and by 37 weeks was exhausted - some lasted up to an hour.  Anyway, once I reached 38 weeks my midwife sent me for accupuncture and my daughter was born the following morning.

I think last time they only got really annoying when I reached about 31 weeks, but this time (#2) they started around 27 weeks.  For me they are worse when I am tired and generally continue through the night which is weird.  Anyway, my midwife has told be to take belladonna to ease them.  It really does seem to help as they are certainly painful for me.

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
#13 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM

I wish I could find it but I remember seeing an article on a possible correlation (not causative per se) between a lot of braxton hicks and an earlier labor (not premature just right around the 37 week mark) and premature rupture of membranes...

I was looking because I always have a ton of braxton hicks or have the last three term (or near term) pregnancies and my last two were born at 35-ish (bad dates) and 37w1d

both were premature rupture of membranes too

my first I dont remember braxton hicks ...prodromal labor from hell but no braxton hicks and she was born 41w6d...membranes didnt rupture until I was pushing either

I dont mean to scare anyone by that either...it was just idle interest

#14 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM

I've always gone right at 39ish weeks (even with twins) and had tons of BH and then lots of prodromal labor at the end and my water usually doesn't break until I'm pushing unless they rupture me early. But, I do have really, really easy labors and dilate quickly which I have always attributed to all those BH and prodromal labor.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#15 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVaughn View Post

I wish I could find it but I remember seeing an article on a possible correlation (not causative per se) between a lot of braxton hicks and an earlier labor (not premature just right around the 37 week mark) and premature rupture of membranes...

I was looking because I always have a ton of braxton hicks or have the last three term (or near term) pregnancies and my last two were born at 35-ish (bad dates) and 37w1d

both were premature rupture of membranes too

This is interesting because my labor started with premature rupture of the membranes too.  The labor also went pretty fast considering it was the first one.  I think it would have gone much faster if I were able to relax a bit, but it was full steam ahead from when the waters broke, and I was pretty terrified by the whole thing to be honest. 

I would definitely be happy if these contractions meant an earlier labor also (sometime between 37 and 40 weeks I mean).......the friends who will help out with our toddler are going on vacation for 2 weeks from our due date :-(

proud mummy to DD (09/08) and cautiously looking forward to meeting #2
4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36stork-suprise.gif**40**
#16 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM

This is my 4th pregnancy and I'm in the tons of BH camp as well. You do notice them earlier and feel them more with each pregnancy, which seems to be the main factor with many of us. Mine aren't painful but I do often notice them to the point where I have to stop what I'm doing, or the BH is intense enough that it takes my focus off of whatever I was doing. I seem to get way more when my bladder is full, so I try to empty my bladder as much as possible. I drink a TON of water too, so I know that dehydration isn't behind mine, but walking can intensify them every so often.

I think he's moved head down because there is an insane amount of activity from the middle up in my uterus. It feels like he's kickboxing in there and spinning around on his head. It was enough that it woke me up from my nap earlier!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#17 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM

It is weird b/c w/ this one I haven't noticed much BH. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#18 of 20 Old 03-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Weird, with my last pg I had a TON of bh and DS decided to come at like 36.5 weeks. My water didn't break until like 44 hours into labor though, lol. With this pregnancy I like never have them. Only if I have to pee super bad or was dtd, lol. Anywho, the only thing I might check if it happened again this time would be to go to the chiro and just make sure I'm in tip top shaoe and the babe's in a good position.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#19 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM

This is my first pregnancy and I've been getting BH off and on for the last month or 2. Tonight in our birthing class, we did some breathing exercises to practice for labor and now I can't get the BHs to stop! I'm trying to go to sleep, but they keep waking me. Hopefully it's not a big deal. It sounds like enough of you have them regularly that it's okay. I don't want to wake my midwife if it's not an emergency. Hopefully they'll stop so I can go to sleep. ...and yes, I'm drinking water and peeing.

Oh, and junebug, re: LO playing around down near your cervix, I've been feeling that almost constantly since the 2nd trimester. Midwife says it's probably her little fingers knocking around down there. At first it was freaking me out, but I'm pretty used to it now.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#20 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

the fingers on the cervix thing really really really bothers me for some reason...I really hate it...I'll even pull over the car and do inversions in the backseat if Im driving and it doesnt let up

I have no idea why I find it so profoundly uncomfortable

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page