Thoughts on placenta encapsulation or otherwise consuming the placenta? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any moms who have been there done that?  Does it actually help with post-partum feelings?

While I do have friends IRL who have made 'placenta stews' or some such...that is...ummm... a little too far out of my comfort zone.  But there is a doula in our area who does placenta encapsulation and gives you your placenta in nice, easy to swallow (in more ways than one) pill form. 

As I reflect more and more on my first birth I am very surprised at how many of my memories are dark.  I was very overwhelmed, exhausted, isolated, stressed out, in pain, you name it.  I never once thought I had post-partum depression, and I still don't think I did.  I didn't really have very much time to reflect on my emotional state then, but looking backwards I do not want to end up in the same emotional place with this baby as I did with #1.

I'm intrigued by this idea of placenta encapsulation, but it is very pricey and I'm not sure I can justify the cost.  I think I will take my placenta home just in case and then wait and see how things go.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Is it just a scam?

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#2 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM

I have heard so many wonderful things about it that I am definitely on board this time around.  I can't afford the cost of the encapsulation but my midwife offered to let me use the equiptment and give me instructions on now to do it for free.  I am not going to feel like that with a newborn, a toddler, a 9 yr old, and 3 other kids part time that I share custody of with their dad.  I am going to be worn out those first few weeks.

So.., I am just going to clean it, cut it up, and freeze it in chunks in an icecube tray or two.  Then ziploc bag it and use one cube per day in a smoothie with strawberry, banana and OJ.  REad in one of the "eating placenta" posts on here that this is what one mama did.  Sounded like my best option.

It may not last as long that way but it's better than nothing and I heard it makes the world of difference with energy level, emotional state, and recovery.  Heard you can't even taste it. 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#3 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM

I have consumed both of my younger children's placentas (and will do the same this time around!) DH chopped it up shortly after birth into 1"-2" chunks and froze them (he attempted the encapsulation himself, but it was messy and time-consuming.) Ice cube trays work well for this! I had a "fresh" placenta smoothie right after birth and then used the frozen chunks at my leisure when I needed a pick me up in the days/weeks that followed. We used frozen fruit and juice to make the smoothies (a little cream if I wanted it to be more milk shake-ish) and other than a slight metallic kick to it you couldn't really taste anything besides the fruit. It really did help to keep me on an even keel in the weeks that followed birth. My recovery time was significantly less than with my hospital birth/no placenta consumption birth.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#4 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM

I had pp issues w/ my 9th and less w/ my 10th, but am now open to this, dehydrated and encapsulated. I told my dh and kids and they are on board w/ doing it. Does anyone have a link to how it can be done at home?

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#5 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM

I am going to encapsulate this time around. I wanted to do it last time, but was intimidated by the whole thing and just let it to. I regretted it because I had a good 10 months or so of pretty bad PPD - which would have lasted longer, I'm sure , if I hadn't tried hypnotherapy.

http://tryingtobringadreamtolife.blogspot.com/2009/08/diy-placenta-encapsulation-steps-for-at.html is a good link for instructions with pictures. Since we got a refund from my midwife, I may take this money and spend it on a doula to come and do it for me... not sure yet...

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM

here is another link http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/happy-pills-placenta-encapsulation.html

with pictures to help you with the encapsulation process. our midwife is also letting us barrow her piller so dh has volunteered to encapsulate. i'm so excited. ds was a c/s so i didn't even get to see my placenta with him.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#7 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM

other uses, in addition to help with ppd:

the dried, encapsulated placenta also can be frozen and used when you enter menopause, as well as for your daughter at menarche. thumb.gif

i can't really afford it either, but i'm thinking of taking donations at my baby blessing.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#8 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 PM

A quick google search yielded a few at home capsule filler options (AIO kits $30-$50 USD) that had decent user ratings. It might make the job easier :)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#9 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM

I'm hoping to have a doula friend encapsulate mine, depending on what her rate will be...still have to talk out the details since she's an hours drive away. I'm also looking into having someone local do it, but if I can't work that out then maybe I'll just do the chopping & freezing idea for smoothies...that will probably yield the freshest health benefits anyway. I'm a vegetarian and very leery of tasting any meatiness, but from what I've heard it doesn't really have that...

thanks for all the great links! i didn't do anything with my daughter's placenta but something tells me i'll need a little more hormonal support to adjust to being a mama of two. :)

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#10 of 27 Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootinBrooklyn View Post

I'm hoping to have a doula friend encapsulate mine, depending on what her rate will be...still have to talk out the details since she's an hours drive away. I'm also looking into having someone local do it, but if I can't work that out then maybe I'll just do the chopping & freezing idea for smoothies...that will probably yield the freshest health benefits anyway. I'm a vegetarian and very leery of tasting any meatiness, but from what I've heard it doesn't really have that...

thanks for all the great links! i didn't do anything with my daughter's placenta but something tells me i'll need a little more hormonal support to adjust to being a mama of two. :)

Definitely didn't have any meatiness in my smoothies. Just make sure you have a good blender to basically obliterate it ;)

#11 of 27 Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM

I was definitely going to encapsulate this time. We were just going to do it ourselves... dry it in the oven and crush it down.

With my first my midwife cut off a big hunk of my placenta and put it in a smoothie with some fruit and tofu and I SWEAR to you I didn't taste a thing!! I was terrified I would, and end up throwing up, but I didn't even know it was there until she told me. I didn't even taste the blood and I'm generally very sensitive to that.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#12 of 27 Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM

Littleteapot, did you happen to know of a tutorial online for doing it yourself? If I have the presence of mind after birth to ask for the placenta, I'd really like to do this.

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#13 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've considered placenta encapsulation this time around. I can relate to you staryla - I don't think I had PPD with my first, but I was not in the best place either. Granted, I had an overly medical induced birth and a horrible start to breastfeeding. So my early weeks with my little one had a lot of stress that didn't need to be there. I am nervous this time around though because my soon to be 4 year old is an intense little man. I'll also be returning to my job as a full-time home daycare provider six weeks after baby gets here. I think I may be very prone to exhaustion and emotional blah this time around - so I'd like to take a proactive approach.

I haven't checked into prices yet. I know there's people in my area who do the encapsulation. I was thinking it wasn't going to be that horribly expensive. I guess I'm in for a surprise from all the comments about it? I guess I should hurry up and check on it and see if I can actually afford it. If not I don't know - perhaps we'll try to do it ourselves?

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#14 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM

I found a doula in my area (Chicago) that will do it for $150-$175 depending on how far away you are from her. I guess this is pretty standard, though I have seen some that are much, much more expensive (I am thinking they work for PBI because they take a big cut of every paycheck).

I am thinking that I might just do it myself... I was so intimidated by it last time around, but this time is seems like no big deal. I should have my SIL and MIL around for a day or two after the birth to help, and while I am pretty sure they won't want to look at the placenta, let alone touch it, they could keep the little ones out of DH's hair while he tends to it. If he can get it washed, steamed and cut up, I can dry it in the oven and grind and encapsulate it.

Spinnerette - there are a couple of links with pictures in the threads above. innocent.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#15 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Wow!  I am so glad I asked you ladies.  I'm pretty sure now that I am going to do it, and probably do it myself (even though we are big into DIY at my house somehow it never occurred to me in this situation.)

The lady who does placenta encapsulation in my area charges ~$200-$250. YIKES!  For that money we could get the fancy dehydrator we've been lusting after for years and have something useful (though the pills will be useful too of course) afterwards.

One of the links on how to do it yourself said that the person doing the encapsulation should be in a good head place.  Do you think that I would be up to doing it myself in the first days post-partum? (I think I can answer that question with a no), I wonder if DH would be up for it?  My DH is the cook/gardener/homemaker in our family and I think he'd be more than willing, I just don't know how much energy he's going to have either.

#16 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Haha, derp.

I guess clicking the links would probably be helpful! >_< 

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#17 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 PM

I had a couple(one directly after, one on day 3) placenta smoothies with my second birth and definitely felt that it helped.  Frozen strawberry, banana, yogurt, and a chunk of the placenta and blend away!  It was easy to drink and I only caught some mild metallic tastes when I hadn't finished it all in 15 minutes time.  

Also- no meaty-ness to mine at all, although I had a friend consume hers, made with a crappy blender and a tomato(think V8) base to it, and she did not like it one bit.  

Simple living mama to three(!) sweet boys.  winner.jpghomebirth.jpgsigncirc1.gif

#18 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM

To tell you the truth, the pictures totally grossed me out. Dh said he is doing and not grossed out. He wants a happy wife, PP.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#19 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Is there any special instructions for just cleaning and chinking it for freezing in cubes for smoothies?  I am slightly grossed out by the huge bloodvessels in it, haha.  I could manage but are you supposed to cut those out?  All the instructions I find are for steaming or drying and thought it may require different seperation instructions as to what to keep and what to toss if you are consuming raw.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#20 of 27 Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Here are two links with instructions for DIY!

http://tryingtobringadreamtolife.blogspot.com/2009/08/diy-placenta-encapsulation-steps-for-at.html

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/happy-pills-placenta-encapsulation.html

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#21 of 27 Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM

My husband just chunks it up shrug.gif There is like a membrane around it that he cuts away, but nothing gets cut out that I know of. I would say that its smart to set it in a collander and rinse it off before you start cutting. That way most of the "fluid" can drain.

#22 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just ordered this 'Capsule Machine':

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AD10LK and some capsules.  I really wanted to use this as an excuse to buy a food dehydrator...but just can't afford it.  So for less than $25 I'm set--and I could have gotten away without the capsule machine.

I printed out the instructions/pictures at the links mentioned earlier and my husband read through it and has already agreed to do it.  Though he did question my placing those instructions in the 'appetizers' section of our 3-ring cookbook (LOL).  I just put the printout at the front of the binder because I knew we'd remember it that way!

#23 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 AM

I would love to have my placenta encapsulated, but the only person I know of in my area (DFW) that does it charges $250 and there is just no way that I can afford that.  :(   I can also say with absolute certainty that if I am the one to dry it out and grind it up and put it in pills, it will never happen. I don't know anyone else who would be willing to do it for me either. It really sucks because I've had PPD after every birth and I would really like to be able to use my placenta to combat it.

Maybe I can find someone that does it for less... it's worth a shot, right?

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#24 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Jenni, talk to every doula you can find! I bet someone will be willing to help out. Maybe give a shout out in the Find Your Tribe forum here on MDC - someone might have a connection.

DH and I are going to do mine. He is going to take care of the washing, steaming and dehydrating. I am going to grind and put it into the capsules. Last time around I felt way too overwhelmed to even attempt it, but now that I have found some peace regarding childbirth, I am pretty confident we can do it. I have a doula-friend who might be able to help out if needed, too.

#25 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM

I had it done last time (encapsulation) and didn't feel that it lived up to the hype, for me.  I didn't have a history of PPD or feel I was particularly at risk for it, though, so that might have had something to do with it.  I also have to say in all honesty that burping up the pills was pretty gross.  If I was going to do home birth again I think I might plant a tree or something, but I'm fine with the hospital throwing it away.  The one nice thing I got out of it that I still value is that the woman who did it dried the umbilical cord and made a heart shape out of it, and that is in his baby book.  

For those who are interested in doing it but not paying a fortune, I paid $100 and found the person through my midwife (they also transported the placenta over to her for me since my MW's assistant lived close to her).  The woman who did the encapsulation is a doula and offers the service on the side.  She isn't certified by the organization that does that -- all of those people seemed to charge $300 and I wasn't willing to pay that much.  For $100 I was willing to give it a whirl though. HTH!

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#26 of 27 Old 05-06-2011, 10:49 AM

I didn't do anything with the placenta after #1 and I'm pretty sure I had PPD, but then we had literally every breastfeeding issue there is that went on for months and months.

With #2 my midwives encapsulated the placenta for me and I had no issues with PPD....and no issues with breastfeeding.....

With this one I am very excited to have found out that the midwife-in-training will do the encapsulation for only the cost of renting any equipment she needs (Yeah!)

#27 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

My husband encapsulated the placenta and it has been great!  I remember how I felt last time and this time is so very different.  I don't mind the middle of the night feedings, I feel capable of handling my new daughter and my DS.  I am emotionally on solid ground.  I had no idea you could feel this good post-partum!

Some of this is no doubt because I am not a first time mom.  But the one day I missed taking the lunch session of my 'happy pills' was the only day that I got weepy in the evening.  I'm a placenta consuming advocate now (though I'm pretty sure my mainstream friends will be totally freaked out by the idea.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page