Cloth Diapering a Newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Who has experience cloth diapering a newborn? I CD'd my DS, but not until he was about 4 months old. So I'm trying to figure a few things out with regards to a newborn stash. Did you CD right away or did you use sposies until the meconium was gone? Also, looking at the sizing on some of the newborn diapers, it seems that some only go up to 8 lbs. So is it worth it to buy newborn sizes or just to go with smalls? I do have some BG 2.0s that I plan to use, but I can't imagine even with the smallest setting putting those on a newborn. I do have a dozen newborn sized prefolds, a couple of covers, and a couple of used KL0s. I'm considering adding a few newborn sized AIOs for convenience when we're out and about. Also, I may add some more KLOs. I don't want to buy too much as it doesn't seem like LO will be in the newborn stash terribly long, but I don't want to under buy and hate life trying to keep up with the diaper laundry right away.

I'm open to all thoughts and tips on CDing a newborn!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be new to cloth diapering this newborn too. We used a mix of diapers with my daughter, but mostly disposable because we didn't ever have our own washer...

Anyway, I'm so excited to commit to cloth this time!

I have a dear friend loaning me her Size O Kissaluvs and I also got a newborn prefolds. I figure I'll start with the prefolds since they're cheap enough to replace if the meconium staining doesn't come out. I'm sure the more experienced cloth diaperers can share what to expect...

I ordered from green mountain and their newborn size goes up to 10 pounds...And also Cotton babies prefolds in infant size are 7-15, probably a more average newborn size. I got a dozen of both just in case.

Really interested to see what others' advice is!

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#3 of 27 Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 PM

For a newborn, I think the most important thing are good covers that fit. You can put whatever inside--even washcloths (this is what I did with my last ds) with a little scrap of fleece laid on top. You're changing a nb so much that absorbency isn't as much an issue during the day. Quick, frequent changes are more of a reality.  I then had a few fitted diapers I'd use at night with wool (or whatever cover is your choice) for when I didn't change as often as during the day. And, I could more easily use a larger diaper (like a small) at night then during the day as well.

It is NICE to have at least a few diapers that really fit a wee baby, but smalls in general are okay for a nb, and you could always use sposies at first if you wished. I did with one as I'd received quite a few diapers at a shower, so I just used them rather than hassle with returning.

I sew diapers myself, so I'll be making a bunch of fitteds in nb size (probably 18-24 of them), but if I couldn't sew them for inexpensively, I'd be doing the washcloth method again! Purchase nb wrap type covers that can be secured quickly and easily--velcro first choice--and you won't need to snappi or pin and just lay the washcloth in and a doubler or topper if you want. You could also just supplement with this method for when you're low on diapers.  I purchased a 24 pack of white basic 'washcloths' for about $10 and then add 4-6 velcro covers (used, they're $3-5 and new probably $10). So for at most $70, you could have enough diapering for several days for a nb. Get a few nicer AIOs or fitted/wool if you wish, but focus on the smalls as you'll get more wear out of them.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 27 Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 PM

Good questions, Crystal.

Holly, Any brand you recommend for the wraps?  Was your munchkin skinny or chuby legged?  Thanks for your recommendations.  They seem really low key and no stress too! 

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#5 of 27 Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 PM

Good questions, Crystal.

Holly, Any brand you recommend for the wraps?  Was your munchkin skinny or chuby legged?  Thanks for your recommendations.  They seem really low key and no stress too! 

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#6 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 AM

He started off really long and skinny, and then got pretty chubby, but that was outside the newborn stage mostly. He gained fast so we moved into the next sizes.  For newborn, I had purchased a couple of new Pro-Wraps http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=284  and some other ones I don't remember what brand that I picked up used at the thrift store. NB stuff is pretty easy to find used if you look a little online or at thrift as they grow so darn fast! Oh, I remember some Bummis too. I would just browse thrift and pick up anything I found cover wise that was nb/small and anything that still looked in good condition for larger, but those were harder to find. You use the nb ones for such a short period of time, even ones that look only so so and are $2 or $3 would be good!  Sometimes, thrift stores don't realize they are for cloth diapering and just have diaper covers in the infant 'bins' where things are $.50 or $1 per piece. I love those finds!

Then I used the wash cloths later to stuff into some used Fuzzi Bunz I was gifted and then I also used for doublers as needed to boost nighttime diapers. Then in the end, they were good rags.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM

I have cloth diapered all my newborns. For the last 6 or 7 we used preemie prefolds, washcloths, some gifted fitteds, and pullon covers or Thirsties, Bummies or Prowraps. Around 2 weeks we moved on to infant prefolds.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#8 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM

I'm new to CDing a newborn as well, started with DS around 3 months. I've been doing a ton of research on diaper swappers and actually have my stash all set. Originally, I was going to go with all smalls, as DS was over 9 lbs. Seeing pics of various sized newborns in various dipes, I decided to go ahead and get newborn sizes for the cord if nothing else. Also, newborn stuff resells well, so I'm not worried about unloading it. I tried to stay with brands that were supposed to fit up to 12 or 15 lbs. We'll see if that actually happens.

I decided to get 36 dipes to wash every other day. I actually have a few more than that. I'm doing mostly fitteds and planning to be coverless when we're at home to stay cooler. I knit up some wool covers for when we're out and about, as they're the coolest choice. I also have 18 flats, just to experiment with.

With the meconium, I've heard it doesn't stain at all, that it's the EBF poo that comes next that stains. I'll be bringing some flushable liners with to the hospital anyway. I'll switch to fleece liners when we get home. I loved how they helped DS's bottom feel more dry.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#9 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 AM

I start with 24 infant prefolds (snappied or tri-folded) and small BSWW's and Thirsties. Wash every two days. No issues with meconium which, honestly, next to CD my 17mo seems terribly mild. In my experience toddler poop is the only variety that stains and that's easy enough to deal with. You could always use disposable liners for those first days. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Meconium did stain my diapers and so does some of the other poop we deal w/ for those in diapers, but I couldn't care less, they are diapers after all.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#11 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM

For cloth-diapering our first we had 3 dozen of the newborn prefolds and some Thirsties covers (the smallest size at the time--this was before they came out with Duos) and then some Dappi pull-up pants.  As a newborn our LO went through an INSANE amount of diapers.  We counted once that we changed 24 diapers in a 24 hour period.  Plus every time he pooped (which was often) we had to change the cover and it seemed like we were always on the verge of running out of covers.  DS was 8 lbs 5 oz at birth and grew quickly--he only fit the newborn covers/prefolds for ~2 weeks.

Though I'm a lover of cloth (do mama cloth, and cloth napkins, and cloth trainers, and cloth swimmers,...) I honestly wished I had saved the money on the quickly outgrown NB diapers and just used sposies until he was big enough for the infant sized cloth diapers.  Plus it would have made those very difficult first weeks slightly easier on this sleep deprived/overwhelmed new momma.

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#12 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staryla View Post

Though I'm a lover of cloth (do mama cloth, and cloth napkins, and cloth trainers, and cloth swimmers,...) I honestly wished I had saved the money on the quickly outgrown NB diapers and just used sposies until he was big enough for the infant sized cloth diapers.  Plus it would have made those very difficult first weeks slightly easier on this sleep deprived/overwhelmed new momma.

I've kind of wondered about this. DH can't do diaper laundry and I'm wondering if I'll regret having to worry about diaper laundry in the early days while I'm still recovering from labor and delivery and adjusting to life with a new life.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I do already have some newborn diapers, so I will be using them. Who knows - maybe I'll supplement with sposies so I don't have to work as hard in the early days. If I do purchase more I found these at Green Mountain Diapers:

Cloth-Eze Workhorse

I was considering KL0s, but those are considerably cheaper and I'd imagine they probably work as well for a newborn.

I also found this and am drooling. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a sprayer with my DS. And I love the pail idea for keeping the spray off of me and it has a handy hook for letting a diaper drip dry - I hate having to throw a sopping wet diaper into a wet bag.

Diaper Pail and Sprayer

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#13 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post

I also found this and am drooling. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a sprayer with my DS. And I love the pail idea for keeping the spray off of me and it has a handy hook for letting a diaper drip dry - I hate having to throw a sopping wet diaper into a wet bag.

Diaper Pail and Sprayer

Maybe I am lazy and maybe this is why some of my diapers are stained, but I never dunk or rinse diapers out. Just scrape of solid that will scrape off into the toilet and toss into a dry pail. The whole spraying a diaper w/ water just seems to spray in other places around the toilet. Never used one though so I could be wrong.

#14 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM

I CD both my newborns.  For my first I got 3 NB size covers, and didn't use them cuz my baby was born too big.  With my 2nd, I bought 2 BG small and didn't use them cuz again the baby was born too big.  So my advice would be to skip the NB sizes.

I use pre-folds with thirsties covers.  I have a few AIO's and pockets, but I find I can't get them clean enough.  Personally I have a much easier time washing my pre-folds.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#15 of 27 Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM

I got a case of disposables in the newborn size before I was sure that I wanted to CD. I'm keeping them so that I don't feel as much pressure with getting used to the CD since I've never done it before. I have 4 small covers and 36 prefolds in the infant size. I also have 2 one-size covers that are definitely bigger than the smalls, even when they're on the smallest setting. I like the idea of putting a little piece of fleece down in the diaper. I may have to buy a yard or so and cut it up into little rectangles.

Since I've never done this before I'm totally going to be guessing. lol. My mom can help a little since she CD'd my sister and I, but that was 30 years ago and some things have changed a little bit.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#16 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM

I just wanted to chime in really quickly that my DD was in the newborn size for three months! I had a great stash of cloth diapers amassed for her, but the smallest wouldn't fit on her until she was 10 weeks old and even then I still had thigh blowouts. So a NB stash is definitely worth the investment if you make small enough babies (mine was 6 pounds, 2 oz at birth, 18.5 inches tall, all at two weeks late!). I ended up having her in disposables until my CDs fit...

This time around, I have amassed a little stash of teeny CDs to add into the mix. I've just been trolling consignment and Craigslist and making some purchases here and there. Covers (10): Bummis Superbrite 4-9 pounders, super whisper wraps in NB and newborn gdiapers. I have a big stash of gerber prefolds (3 dozen) that aren't great for older babies but that I'm sure will be plenty absorbent for a newborn during the day. I also got four Earth Mom and Baby Bumboo fitteds on Babysteals a few weeks ago and am excited about how soft those will be on my new one's tiny little body, and I have some orange-line Green Mountain Prefolds (1 dozen) that I'm pretty sure will fit in all those nb covers as well. Part of why I got the newborn Gdiapers was so I could switch in the flushable/biodegradable inserts for meconium or other crazy explosive poop/exhausted mommy days. 

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#17 of 27 Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm starting to think I should just skip newborn size. My last baby was 9lb 10oz so this guy will be big too. I made a few nb fitteds and I was going to make some nb covers but maybe I'll just make some smalls. Its so hard to decide!

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#18 of 27 Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM

I intended to start CDing my DD right after the meconium was gone, but it ended up being much later (can't remember how much later, but I think she was around the 10lb mark).  I found that some of the dipers I had (intending for newborn) were still far too large, and I didn't like them much until she got bigger.  I had bought 12 preemie prefolds that never got used (she was too big by the time I started), a few AIO that I liked that were newborn sizes and lasted a bit, and a few newborn sized covers (which still fit her for a while).  The one sized took a while to fit her nicely, and I wasn't all that happy with any of the covers I bought for the prefolds/fitteds.  I just bought this new one another dozen preemie prefolds, and one newborn cover (so far).  I figure it's either that or not start the cloth diapers until the smalls fit her nicely, so for me it was worth the expense (mostly to have her in cloth instead of plastic when the cost of prefolds in that size is minimal anyway), and I find myself using prefolds for everything.  Doublers, wiping up messes, throwing down on a surface when changing a poopy diaper, cleaning up after toilet training accidents or diaper free time - I seem to use them for everything!  The infant ones I have certainly got more use out of non-diapering applications than actually being used as a diaper.  So I don't consider it a waste.  My daughter was small though - 5th percentile at birth, but up to the 50th in a few weeks.  She grew fast, but I still think it's worth it for the first few weeks.  I would not be buying pockets and AIO for those first little bits though.  I am toying with the idea of making some fitteds for the new one too.  But, I'm also assuming that this one will have small and frequent pees like my daughter did.  The biggest complaint I've heard about preemie prefolds is that some babes pee far too much for them to hold it.  That hasn't been my experience yet ... but if that's the case, they will make great doublers!  All in all, I don't think preemie/newborn diapering generally pays for itself.  But I don't consider it too much of a splurge either.  

#19 of 27 Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coharmony View Post

I'm starting to think I should just skip newborn size. My last baby was 9lb 10oz so this guy will be big too. I made a few nb fitteds and I was going to make some nb covers but maybe I'll just make some smalls. Its so hard to decide!

My last was around that size (and 23") and def too big for newborn anything. The only issue I had with small diapers was being mindful of her umbilical cord that that was such a non-issue that I'll be starting with smalls this time as well. 

#20 of 27 Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Loved Loved Loved our NB prefolds.  DD was a little more petite and she stayed in them until she was 8-10 weeks.  I think that prefolds and a cover are great up until 6 months old.  

My favorite part, was it always gave me an excuse to 'reclaim' her at family gatherings because no one wanted to learn how to change her diapers, so I'd grab her and cuddle for a bit before passing her back to grandma/aunties... :)

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#21 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Umm yeah. I never dunked/sprayed any of my diapers either and Ive never had a problem. I shook whatever would come off ( after solid food started) and then just put the diaper in the wet bag. I do a cold rinse-hotwash-cold rinse   washing routine and my diapers never even have poop on them after the first rinse! I always shudder at the thought of dunking and rinsing a diaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

Maybe I am lazy and maybe this is why some of my diapers are stained, but I never dunk or rinse diapers out. Just scrape of solid that will scrape off into the toilet and toss into a dry pail. The whole spraying a diaper w/ water just seems to spray in other places around the toilet. Never used one though so I could be wrong.

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#22 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 AM

I definitely have a newborn stash :) I'm guessing this babe will be around the 7-8 lb range and plan to use sposies in the hospital and then start cloth right away. I do all pockets and AIO's because I'm lazy and it's the only way the DH can use a cloth diaper correctly! I don't plan on being able to use them past 3 months---max! But, I can resell them on diaperswappers.com and make most of my money back--I hope! I have a good stash of smalls too-- actually too many! I am trying to sell a few right now 2whistle.gif... Anyone interested in 4 new size small Monkey Doodlez....

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#23 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Mine have been all over, most of my bigger babies lost a pound or so and some grew fast and some not. So I have many sized diapers, newborn and smalls to accommodate. My 7th came at 37 even, weighing 6lbs 15oz, after my last 4 were 9lbs or so. I was digging out these preemie sized fitted I had been gifted a few babies ago. Then my 9th arrived over 10lbs and was too chubby for newborn size. 

#24 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

I've been a scraper and a sprayer and much prefer to, one full time solids start, use disposable liners and spray when needed. I use the detachable shower head with a few tricks to keep it off the floor. It does sometimes get on the toilet bowl but I just wipe it off. It could work better with a proper diaper sprayer but I've never used one. With EBF poop I just let it be. 

#25 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM

I have what I call a "poop stick" that came with the G diapers that I tried with DD, and it is pretty great. It's basically a straight all-plastic spatula that you hang on a suction cup on the side of your toilet tank. I scrape poop off with it, swish it in the toilet, wipe it well on a clean part of the dirty diaper, then hang it back up.

#26 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I like to use newborn diapers even if they only fit for a couple weeks.  It's the only time I really like diapering, when the baby is so new that everything about it is fun.  I didn't have any stains from meconium, and we do EC so there were never too many poopy diapers to worry about.  I would usually just shake the solids into the toilet and wash them, but this time we are getting a toilet sprayer too.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#27 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

My last was around that size (and 23") and def too big for newborn anything. The only issue I had with small diapers was being mindful of her umbilical cord that that was such a non-issue that I'll be starting with smalls this time as well. 

I'm glad you said that (oh and my boy was 23" too). Its so confusing to try to figure out what will work.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page