Question About Name Popularity - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a question. We're pretty much decided on Oliver Felix for our boy's name. I really love the name. Oliver means kind and affectionate. :) My only concern is popularity. We named our older one Ayden and while I think it's a beautiful name I'm hoping that this little one will have a name that's not quite so popular. I noticed that Oliver rose in popularity in 2009. Stats aren't out yet for 2010. Is this a name that you hear/see a lot? What do you think - do you think it's getting popular?

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#2 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's too popular* for my comfort level but I do think it's a lovely name! 

* but I'm the sort who's naming this new baby a huh? kind of name so....

p.s. I also have a couple of kids with too familiar names and can't manage to regret the accidentally popular choices.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Too popular for me! Might be a great middle name.
#4 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM

I think Oliver Felix is an awesome name!

DH and I have settled on a fairly popular name for our LO, and for a while that really bothered me.  But I realized that I could either use a name we both love, even though it's popular and she might bump into other kids with her name on the playground, or we could start all over with the name books and the lists and blah blah... only to probably end up with a name we don't like as much.  It wasn't worth it to me to let what other people like dictate what I want to name my daughter.  Plus DH and I both have names in the top 10 for the years we were born, and neither of us ended up with two heads or horrible emotional scars (and neither of our mothers ended up as puddles of shame in the street because their name pick was a trendy one).

Another thing to consider - a name might be moving up in popularity, but the variety of names has increased to the point where even a relatively popular name might not have actually been used that many times.  As an example, the year I was born the #1 girl's name was used almost 55,000 times.  But for 2009 the #1 girl's name was used 22,000 times.  So even if you pick a somewhat trendy name, it's still not going to be like when we were kids and there were 4 Jennifers and 3 Joshs per classroom.  :)

#5 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

I think Oliver Felix is an awesome name!

DH and I have settled on a fairly popular name for our LO, and for a while that really bothered me.  But I realized that I could either use a name we both love, even though it's popular and she might bump into other kids with her name on the playground, or we could start all over with the name books and the lists and blah blah... only to probably end up with a name we don't like as much.  It wasn't worth it to me to let what other people like dictate what I want to name my daughter.  Plus DH and I both have names in the top 10 for the years we were born, and neither of us ended up with two heads or horrible emotional scars (and neither of our mothers ended up as puddles of shame in the street because their name pick was a trendy one).

Another thing to consider - a name might be moving up in popularity, but the variety of names has increased to the point where even a relatively popular name might not have actually been used that many times.  As an example, the year I was born the #1 girl's name was used almost 55,000 times.  But for 2009 the #1 girl's name was used 22,000 times.  So even if you pick a somewhat trendy name, it's still not going to be like when we were kids and there were 4 Jennifers and 3 Joshs per classroom.  :)

You know, maybe I am overthinking this a bit much. I certainly don't regret naming our first DS Ayden. The name fits him to a t. It means "little fire" and boy does he live up to that! I have a friend who substitute teaches and she did have a Kindergarten classroom the other day with 4 Aydens in it (I'm including alternate spellings). But I will say that our Ayden is going to homeschool so he shouldn't have four Aydens in his class! And I don't think Oliver is anywhere near the level of popularity that the name Ayden had when Ayden was born. So it may not be as big of a deal - even if it is becoming a bit more common. I will say that I've never personally known an Oliver.

But I think you're right. We love the name and I'm not sure that going back to the drawing board so to speak would be a good thing. It's hard enough for DH and I to agree on any name. That's how Ayden got his name - it was the ONLY boy name we could agree on at the time!

On another note I'm so irritated with my mother. Every time I see her she asks, "Are you sure you still want to name the baby Oliver if it's a boy?" and wrinkles her nose. "They'll just call him Ollie Ollie Oxen Free". Ummm....don't think anybody's said that for about 40 years. Gotta love moms - but it's really starting to get old. I will say that alone makes me want to stick with Oliver! Next time around we are so not telling our baby name choices except for maybe in online boards such as this one!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#6 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Personally, I would avoid maybe the top 10-20 names on the SS list... anything else is fair game. I was going to name DS Jacob (after a beloved uncle who passed away unexpectedly at a young age) but noticed it was - if I remember correctly either #1 or #2 on the list the year he was born. I am so out of touch with what people name their kids that I had NO IDEA it was so popular!! So instead he became Gabriel Jacob.

I absolutely love the name Oliver Felix. Love it. Wouldn't change a thing!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#7 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM

I love Oliver Felix! Yes, it's popular, but it's also a dignified, classic name that won't go out of style. I'm more wary of "trendy" names - names that will sound dated in a decade or two.

I say you should use it if you love it!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#8 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM

I really wanted to avoid anything in the top 50 or so for girls (for boys it's harder to do, there just aren't as many boy names) but ultimately fell in love with a name that's more popular than I'd like but otherwise fires on all cylinders, and couldn't find anything else that didn't just seem like second best. So hopefully my daughter won't be one of four kids in her class with her name. *shrug*. Whatcha gonna do. If it's the name you genuinely want and no other satisfies you, I'd go for it.

#9 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I think it's great! Oliver is currently our middle name choice...I've been pushing for a different one, but my DH doesn't like it and Oliver is the only one we can agree on!

I think it's a good choice with Ayden, too. I, personally,  have no problem whatsoever with popular names. For us, it's important to find names we love...I'm not particularly interested in what everyone else is doing. orngtongue.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#10 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 02:45 PM

I think Oliver is a great name. I agree that Ayden and Oliver go well together. :)

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#11 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 PM

I know one Oliver who is one year old.  I think he is precious and I love the name.  As far as your mom, she sounds like mine.  Don't worry about it.  IF kids want to make fun of someone, they will do it no matter the name.  The key is teaching your kid how to deal with it.  My daughter's name is Carys.  I seriously couldn't have come up with something for the life of me that would be something kids would call her.  Guess what?  She's in kindergarten and there is one very precocious boy who calls her "carrot".  She got upset at first, but I told her to just ignore him and act like it didn't bother her.  Well now, she usually runs up and says hello to him and he to her.  They seem to almost like each other now.  Kids will be kids.

I think Oliver Felix is lovely and if you want to use it, do.  The other thing to think about is that back in the day, parents chose from a lot fewer names than now.  Variety is so much more common now!

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM

DDCC - if you love it, and it "fits" your baby, USE IT.  I'm fighting the same battle, and am in love with a top 20 SSA name.  It just fits and feels wonderful and swoony.  No other name is going to work for me.  So, again, if you love it, please use it!  And if you homeschool even more reason to use it!  The whole 4 or 5 of the same name in the class doesnt even apply!

And Oliver is a wonderful name that he will grow beautifully with.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#13 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

DDCC - if you love it, and it "fits" your baby, USE IT.  I'm fighting the same battle, and am in love with a top 20 SSA name.  It just fits and feels wonderful and swoony.  No other name is going to work for me.  So, again, if you love it, please use it!  And if you homeschool even more reason to use it!  The whole 4 or 5 of the same name in the class doesnt even apply!

And Oliver is a wonderful name that he will grow beautifully with.

You had me at wonderful and swoony. You're right - sometimes you just know the right name when you've hit on it. And I really feel this is the right name now that I've obsessed about this a bit. Of course, we don't know if we're having a boy or a girl. So now that I've spent some time obsessing we'll probably have a girl and this will be a nonissue! Although I'm 99% sure it's a boy. Same pregnancy symptoms as with my son, same food aversions, same cravings, and time of conception all point to this being a boy. Oh...and I do like the way Ayden and Oliver sound together. It seems a bit catchy to me!

#14 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM

I've always thought "Oliver" was lovely.    If you are really worried about it, would you consider "Felix Oliver" instead?  This little bean would have been "Felix" had she been a boy...

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#15 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM

When I had my daughter, we didn't even CONSIDER looking at how popular names are.  We named her Olivia, which I absolutely love.  Both my DH and I loved that name and when she was born, it just fit.  It wasn't until later that we found out it's popular.   I guess I've never thought to look at the top 10 or top 50 for names... I just know what names I love.  We have another name picked out for this next LO, but I'm not looking at any list.... it just doesn't matter to me.  To each their own.  I say... go with what you want!  If you really care about it's popularity, than I guess you might want to change it, but it's entirely up to you!!

#16 of 20 Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't think it's too popular.  I see it around but it's not something I would consider too popular.  For some reason popular boys names don't hold me back as much as popular girl's names... If I really loved a name I would use it even if it was popular, but I tend not to love names that I hear all the time.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#17 of 20 Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM

According to the SSA site (which I think you said you've looked at), it was in the top 200 from 1910 to 1950, when it fell down into the 300s and 400s.  Then it broke back into the 200s in 2001, after which it has become steadily more popular, jumping about 20 places up each year.  It is now number 98.  Given those numbers, it will likely become more popular in the next few years because it has not plateaued yet.  However, there is no way it will be as popular as Ayden, which if you count all the alternate spellings is by far the most popular name for boys in the United States (just counting the top 3 spellings there were 26,554 born in 2009; for the next most popular name, Jacob, there were 20,858).

How parents feel about name popularity is very individual -- some don't care at all (like my MIL, who named her two sons Jason and David in the 1970s lol), others care a lot.  I thought I was going to be one of those parents who come hell or high water would not choose a popular name, and so far that's worked out for me, but after having two boys I had to relax my standards on popularity a lot because the less popular boys' names are often less popular for a reason!  What sounds aesthetically pleasing to our ears is generational, so it's totally understandable that many of us gravitate toward the same names.  It sounds like you have settled on the name -- I think it sounds great.  As another poster pointed out, there is more variety now so you probably won't run into a ton of other Olivers.  But it never hurts to consider names from all angles before deciding.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#18 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Love the name!  I haven't met any boys named Oliver around here, but lots of Olivias.  My mom and sister did the same thing with our pick for our upcoming daughter - Annora.  My sister apparently can't pronounce a pretty easy to read name and said people might say it similarly to "anorexic."  I highly disagree.

#19 of 20 Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Use it if you love. I'm a Jessica and grew up when there were a ton of us in classes. It doesn't make any difference in the world. My first son I almost named Aidan but the nurses said there were a few others born recently so we went with Liam. In our little playgroup of 6 children there ended up being two Liams. So for our second I said who cares, I'm using the name and I did. :) Have no clue what to name our third son though. Maybe I'll see if DH likes Oliver. :) I do like that name a lot, it just doesn't fit in with our Irish naming plan. :)

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#20 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amers176 View Post

Love the name!  I haven't met any boys named Oliver around here, but lots of Olivias.  My mom and sister did the same thing with our pick for our upcoming daughter - Annora.  My sister apparently can't pronounce a pretty easy to read name and said people might say it similarly to "anorexic."  I highly disagree.

WHAT??? How do you get anorexic out of Annora? I think that name is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodbri View Post

Have no clue what to name our third son though. Maybe I'll see if DH likes Oliver. :) I do like that name a lot, it just doesn't fit in with our Irish naming plan. :)

Well, I happen to think it's a lovely name! ;) I happen to like Irish names a lot, but neither one of us is Irish so we're branching out this time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page