April showers bring June babies!****April Chat Thread!!***** - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've yet to experience RLS. I'm slightly curious as to what it feels like (I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that!).

DD has yet to do a sleepover. We had made some plans to try it out with MIL a few months back, but then DD got sick and we never got around to organising it again. TBH I don't think she's really ready. Even letting DH put her to bed is a pretty new thing for DD.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#122 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

I've yet to experience RLS. I'm slightly curious as to what it feels like (I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that!).

You know when your legs fall asleep and when they're waking back up you have that tingly feeling in them? It's kind of like that, but along with that it feels like you have to move your legs to make the tingling stop. Except when you move them it doesn't stop, it keeps going. I never had RLS with my older kids. I had it for maybe a night or two with my last pregnancy, but for some reason it's been getting pretty intolerable this pregnancy. There has been some research done on anemia contributing to RLS, which makes sense to me. I do notice that if I keep up on my Floradix twice daily that the RLS isn't as bad, but I still need the cal/mag at bedtime.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#123 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, neither of my 2 have done a sleepover yet.  MIL is always asking, but I am not comfortable with it.  IDK, maybe after this new one comes I will change my tune!

Today was the first day that we could open our windows and let some "fresh" air in - which would have been wonderful if only the neighbors on BOTH sides of us could put out the cigarettes for a few minutes!  New renters next door to the right and the adult daughter moved in with her mom on the left - and both smoke like chimneys.  So I thought I would air out the house, but instead I just got more stink in! Bah!!  

I think some big storms are rolling in - the winds have picked up and the temps cooled off.  The sun is hiding behind the clouds and outside, it just has that ominous feeling.  I hope that the rest of the week is a little nicer than the weather we have been having! coolshine.gif

Edited for glaring typo

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#124 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Oh my word, I feel so badly for all of those dealing with their toddlers at night. I am so thankful DD goes to bed and stays there all night long. I don't think I could handle having her being up and screaming while I am walking around like a zombie with twitching legs and a baby that won't stop kicking my cervix making me feel like I just peed my pants! 

Hoping that we all have a good week....getting lots accomplished and getting lots of restful sleep too <---- a girl can dream right??goodvibes.gif   

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#125 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

You know when your legs fall asleep and when they're waking back up you have that tingly feeling in them? It's kind of like that, but along with that it feels like you have to move your legs to make the tingling stop. Except when you move them it doesn't stop, it keeps going. I never had RLS with my older kids. I had it for maybe a night or two with my last pregnancy, but for some reason it's been getting pretty intolerable this pregnancy. There has been some research done on anemia contributing to RLS, which makes sense to me. I do notice that if I keep up on my Floradix twice daily that the RLS isn't as bad, but I still need the cal/mag at bedtime.

Ugh, that is the most uncomfortable sensation ever...*shudder*. I'm sorry you're dealing with it!

We had a rather dull day today. The weather was horrendous and our house looked like a bomb hit it, so we stayed in and did chores. I'm really glad we did though - I feel so much better now that we're not drowning in mess. I also baked some blueberry muffins and ate about 8 of them. I love baking, but dang, I need to find myself a less fattening hobby!

Speaking of toddler sleeping, I'm getting nervous about what's going to happen when baby arrives. Right now I'm sleeping in DD's bed. We had intended to get her used to sleeping on her own long before my due date, but between molars coming in and flu season, that hasn't quite happened. I tried letting her sleep alone last night and...success! I sneaked back in there half an hour before she woke up, and all was fine. I'm not getting too excited about it yet though. We just got lucky that she didn't wake up & realise I wasn't there. We'll try again tonight and see what happens.

Anyone else facing a complicated co-sleeping situation when the new baby arrives?

#126 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

Any of you ever used flats for the newborn stage?  I suppose I'll play with folding.  Oh, also 4 bumgenius one-size that need to be stripped, which I have yet to research.  I did a round with bac-out 2 years ago that didn't work.  Guess I should check out the diapering forum for stripping advice.  It's been so long!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE flats on my newborns...or any kiddo :) Totally customizable! I plan to get more this go around because you seriously can't screw up washing them (unless you by chance add in a colored sock lol) and they are very multi-purpose use when not being used as dipes :)

Feeling a little better here. I've lost 10 lbs in two weeks which had me a little worried, but between that stomach bug and baby crushing my stomach into a pancake, its not really that much of a surprise. Its just not that easy eating these days. Midwife wasn't concerned as long as I feel ok.

DH bought me a present love.gif A brand new sewing machine! I'm making some custom bibs for my friend whose daughter is special needs and has outgrown baby bibs to catch the drool. I'm very excited to play (although I can't right now because DH is actually playing with it LOL)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#127 of 367 Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:

DD has yet to do a sleepover. We had made some plans to try it out with MIL a few months back, but then DD got sick and we never got around to organising it again. TBH I don't think she's really ready. Even letting DH put her to bed is a pretty new thing for DD.

Hello everyone! I realize I'm rather a latecomer but I just found your chat thread for the first time and thought I'd invite myself to the party.

I've just this past week or so started experiencing occasional RLS at night. I need to pick up a cal/mag supplement it seems like. The worst seems to be if I wait until just before bedtime to do my Hypnobabies CD/script for the day. I end up in center switch the whole time and it never feels like a good practice because half of my brain is focused on either trying to hold still or just irritation at the needing to move again.

It is kind of a relief to hear y'all talk about your kids still not doing overnights. My mother and I keep butting heads because she wants to take my LO for overnight visits and I'm not comfortable giving her an age at which this will happen. She asked me "Is three months old enough?" Um, no. I pointed out I will be BFing and she said I could pump and bottle. eyesroll.gif I have no idea where she got the impression I would be OK with her, in her words, "stealing the baby for a night." In some weird way, I think she thinks she would be helping?
#128 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

LOL! Why anyone would want to spend the night with someone else's three-month-old baby, deprived of its mother and from-the-tap breastmilk, is beyond me. If she thinks it would be fun grandma-grandbaby bonding time, it's clearly been a while since she had her own kids. :p

DD does spend most of the night in her own bed, but it's about six inches away from ours, so it's not exactly a huge indicator of independence. It's nice to have the extra space, though! And given that we don't have a free bedroom for her at the moment anyway, I can't complain. But I'm really not sure how it'll go with all four of us in the same room... if the baby's a night screamer, he'll wake her up. Which could mean we have to kick our flatmate out... which might not be so hard to do, if he has to endure the night screaming as well. :p But yes, it's not ideal. We're renting and I really like this house (and more importantly, have NO desire to move again!), but I wish it had an extra bedroom...

The other option is kicking DH out of his office and turning that into a little bedroom for DD. But a) he works from home and kinda deserves a dedicated office, and b) DD would then be two rooms away from us, and I'm not sure she'd deal well with that.

Unfortunately I can't talk about this with most of my friends IRL, 'cause they all just think I'm nuts for cosleeping and EBF... and their kids have been sleeping over at Grandma's since they were eight months old... so, yeah.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#129 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 AM

I had RLS kick in the end of the first trimester and it is worse now at 32 weeks and it drives me CRAZY!!!  I hate that my legs also jump and have a mind of their own.  That part wakes me up and I hate it!  If DH gives them a hot oil rub down before bed I am fine.

On the co-sleeping part,we had our LO in bed with us until 2 when she became a huge kicker, so then we put a bed against ours so she was still attached but had her own space.  Then at 3 she asked to be moved to her own room fpr some nights but even at 6 she still sleeps with us when she wants.  That is why I got the arm's reach co-sleeper.  I figure on the nights she wants to be in the bed we can put baby is the the co-sleeper that is attached to our bed so all four of us can be together.  Otherwise this baby will be in between us. 

Now on the over night stays, my sister keeps talking about taking the baby when she is a few months old too and I keep telling her no, that I am EBF and that she will be nursing until she is 3 like I always do.  But for some reason she thinks I will cave in which is weird because I never did before *LOL*

Anyone else notice a large increase in round ligament pain recently?  I have had a huge increase within the last week as well as a huge increase in peeing.  And when I say pee, I am talking as soon as I stand up or she pushes on my bladder I have to make a b-line to the potty and quick! blush.gif DH says she is probably getting into position.  I fifure it has a lot to do with the fact the weather has changed to nice and I have been doing a LOT of squatting in the gardens and such so she probably is getting into ready position.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#130 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moppet View Post

Hello everyone! I realize I'm rather a latecomer but I just found your chat thread for the first time and thought I'd invite myself to the party.

I've just this past week or so started experiencing occasional RLS at night. I need to pick up a cal/mag supplement it seems like. The worst seems to be if I wait until just before bedtime to do my Hypnobabies CD/script for the day. I end up in center switch the whole time and it never feels like a good practice because half of my brain is focused on either trying to hold still or just irritation at the needing to move again.

It is kind of a relief to hear y'all talk about your kids still not doing overnights. My mother and I keep butting heads because she wants to take my LO for overnight visits and I'm not comfortable giving her an age at which this will happen. She asked me "Is three months old enough?" Um, no. I pointed out I will be BFing and she said I could pump and bottle. eyesroll.gif I have no idea where she got the impression I would be OK with her, in her words, "stealing the baby for a night." In some weird way, I think she thinks she would be helping?

I'm guessing your mother didn't BF? Either that or she's completely forgotten the logistics of it. Even if you were willing to leave a 3-month-old overnight, it would mean a bunch of extra work for you pumping so that the baby would have enough to last the night, then you would also have to get up in the middle of the night to pump to relieve engorgement while baby wasn't there. So much for giving you a break!

Loads of DH's family kept offering to babysit when DD was a newborn. I know they meant well, but it was so not helpful. What I desperately needed was help with the housework, though I was too shy to say so seeing as that was never on offer. redface.gif

#131 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

I would never in a million years be comfortable handing off my 3 month old for an overnight visit anywhere.  I would cry and worry and nobody would get any sleep - what would be the point? shrug.gif  We are not extended co-sleepers - both of my kids moved to a crib by the time they were 6 months old, but this time we don't have and extra crib or an extra room, so we will just see what happens.  I am being open minded to anything.  We are borrowing an arms-reach co sleeper and then I think by the time DD is ready for a "big" bed, we can use the mattress from her crib in between the wall and our bed.  IDK, we'll just have to play it by ear.

Snowflake - I am totally with you on the needing the "right" kind of help.  I keep telling my MIL she needs to get used to where my cleaning supplies are and how to properly launder the cloth diapers because that's what I will really need help with!!!  She's actually one of the only people who will indeed come over and actually be of use - she is one of those moms who just knows what needs to be done and gets to it.  My mother, however.... well, its been over 2 months since we have spoken and I don't see that changing anytime soon (such a long story there!).

How was everyone's weekends?  It was in the 80s here yesterday - and now it will be in the 50s all week.  Gotta love those 30 degree temp swings in Chicago spring!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#132 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

LOL! Why anyone would want to spend the night with someone else's three-month-old baby, deprived of its mother and from-the-tap breastmilk, is beyond me. If she thinks it would be fun grandma-grandbaby bonding time, it's clearly been a while since she had her own kids. :p

This was my thought, as well!  My mother offered to do the same when my sis had her LO, but my mom likes to have people depend on her, so taking care of newborns is right up her alley.  Plus she likes to play the martyr and say "oh, I stayed up all night with the baby so my daughter could get some sleep."  (Moppet, not saying at all that this is what you're mom's doing!)  Plus, my sis only made a token effort at BFing, and never bothered at night, so that was one hurdle they didn't have to deal with. 

I'm having name angst!  I love the name Athena, but DH vetoed it because he says it's pretentious.  So I moved on, and we found a name we both like, but the closer I get to my EDD the more I think, the name we picked is just okay.  I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either.  Should I get over it and move on, or should I reenter the name-choice boxing ring?  Do you ladies think Athena is pretentious?

Other than that, I had a really great weekend.  We went to a car show (outside, in Florida, on a 90-degree day) and DH was super.  He kept bringing me water and steered us into the shade to rest pretty frequently.  joy.gif  We spent most of the day outside in the heat, but thanks to DH I felt better at the end of the day than I did last year when we went! 

#133 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM

It's snowing heavily here Tracy! cold.gif

I'm glad your MIL is willing to pitch in. Mine wasn't like that at all. When I had DD1, she came over two days after the birth (when I was still in a lot of pain and barely able to walk), plonked herself on the sofa and waited for me to serve her coffee & snacks. The only "help" she ever gave us was in the form of a bunch of outdated, unsolicited advice. To be fair, I think it's largely how she was raised - I doubt she had any help from her parents either. I don't think it even occurred to her to offer it.

My mother, on the other hand, is wonderful. She just looks around, sees what needs to be done, and just does it. Too bad she lives overseas! She'll come to visit for a month this time and I can't wait.

#134 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Nikie - I don't think Athena is pretentious at all! I think it's lovely. I think you should talk to your DH about it again - I caved on naming DD1 (I wanted a middle name and DH didn't) and I regret it a little. Even if he won't budge on Athena, if you're feeling a bit "meh" about your current choice then it's worth brainstorming some other options.

#135 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Speaking of toddler sleeping, I'm getting nervous about what's going to happen when baby arrives. Right now I'm sleeping in DD's bed. We had intended to get her used to sleeping on her own long before my due date, but between molars coming in and flu season, that hasn't quite happened. I tried letting her sleep alone last night and...success! I sneaked back in there half an hour before she woke up, and all was fine. I'm not getting too excited about it yet though. We just got lucky that she didn't wake up & realise I wasn't there. We'll try again tonight and see what happens.

Anyone else facing a complicated co-sleeping situation when the new baby arrives?

Oh, yes. My 3 year old is still nursing to sleep and nursing in the morning before he wakes up, and waking up crying to nurse once or twice a night between 11:00 and 6:00, which is when I have declared milk to be "closed" so I can get some sleep. Theoretically. When he finally accepts it. He had been nursing something like twelve times a night until we started night nursing a month ago, and he's incredibly stubborn. He is also a very restless sleeper, and I have been counting on my husband to be a buffer between us so the baby doesn't get kicked - but my husband is having horrendous allergies that make him snore deafeningly all night long, which means he has been sleeping upstairs and occasionally appearing to help out during hysterical crying episodes in the middle of the night. I don't see this changing until after the first frost, sometime in October, so what on earth we are going to do to balance all those needs I don't know. I'm just trusting that God knows what's up, and we'll get through it somehow. Phew.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
#136 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing your mother didn't BF? Either that or she's completely forgotten the logistics of it. Even if you were willing to leave a 3-month-old overnight, it would mean a bunch of extra work for you pumping so that the baby would have enough to last the night, then you would also have to get up in the middle of the night to pump to relieve engorgement while baby wasn't there. So much for giving you a break!redface.gif

She briefly BFed me, I think for a few months, and I was her one and only. So yeah, it's been a while (35 years).

I absolutely know my mom is going to be one of those types for whom helping consists solely of holding the baby on visits convenient for her, or trying to have her for overnights. The first time it came up was because she asked what sort of crib she should buy for her house and I was sort of flabbergasted and said it wouldn't be necessary, which was followed by her grilling me for 10 minutes about when I would be comfortable allowing it. She even laughed at how obviously uncomfortable I was with the topic, like I was just being some sort of crazy overprotective sort. I have no problems laying down boundaries about it, but TBH I am anticipating a quiet war over this once LO is born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

I'm having name angst!  I love the name Athena, but DH vetoed it because he says it's pretentious.  So I moved on, and we found a name we both like, but the closer I get to my EDD the more I think, the name we picked is just okay.  I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either.  Should I get over it and move on, or should I reenter the name-choice boxing ring?  Do you ladies think Athena is pretentious? 

Not at all! It's actually a very common name among Greek families, maybe you could sell DH on that angle. I personally think it's a lovely name, and went to elementary school with a couple of Athenas (and none of them tainted the name for me!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Unfortunately I can't talk about this with most of my friends IRL, 'cause they all just think I'm nuts for cosleeping and EBF... and their kids have been sleeping over at Grandma's since they were eight months old... so, yeah.

I hear ya. I think my mom is for some reason casting herself in the role of third parent. I'm 35 years old, planning on being a SAHM, in a stable loving relationship... I don't need another parent in the mix. I actually tried joking with her that my stepdad would probably be grateful if I said no forever to the overnights thing and it flew right over her head. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

Anyone else notice a large increase in round ligament pain recently?  I have had a huge increase within the last week as well as a huge increase in peeing.  And when I say pee, I am talking as soon as I stand up or she pushes on my bladder I have to make a b-line to the potty and quick!

YES! On both counts. I barely had any RLP up til now, the occasional twinge. Now it seems to be multiple times a day and sometimes it is a doozy. On the peeing thing, I can go from not needing to pee at all to "OMG, find me a bathroom or I'm gonna wet my pants" with one swift kick to the bladder from my girl.
#137 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM

How about Adena instead of Athena?? I think it sounds equally as pretty and maybe a little more "down to earth" if thats what your hubs is looking for. If I'm correct, it means "decoration" in Hebrew... cute :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie23 View Post

This was my thought, as well!  My mother offered to do the same when my sis had her LO, but my mom likes to have people depend on her, so taking care of newborns is right up her alley.  Plus she likes to play the martyr and say "oh, I stayed up all night with the baby so my daughter could get some sleep."  (Moppet, not saying at all that this is what you're mom's doing!)  Plus, my sis only made a token effort at BFing, and never bothered at night, so that was one hurdle they didn't have to deal with. 

Other than that, I had a really great weekend.  We went to a car show (outside, in Florida, on a 90-degree day) and DH was super.  He kept bringing me water and steered us into the shade to rest pretty frequently.  joy.gif  We spent most of the day outside in the heat, but thanks to DH I felt better at the end of the day than I did last year when we went! 

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#138 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM

I like the name Athena :)

So for all my "feeling better" talk yesterday...I'm sick again. My stomach is tore up all over again. I woke up at 4 am and thought in my half awake fog, that baby might be coming because of how bad I was cramping. Trying to push fluids again and take it super easy today.

I did get to make a bib last night :D I think it turned out well for a first attempt and trying to wing it. Loving my machine though.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#139 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 AM

My mom wants to come and hold the baby. From Taegan on down I would call her right after the HB and she would usually come over very soon. Then demand to hold the baby, take my baby out of my room, unwrap baby, etc. Nothing about do you need a drink or whatever. W/ Finnian I waited three days to call her after baby arrived. It was so much better for me.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#140 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

My mom wants to come and hold the baby. From Taegan on down I would call her right after the HB and she would usually come over very soon. Then demand to hold the baby, take my baby out of my room, unwrap baby, etc. Nothing about do you need a drink or whatever. W/ Finnian I waited three days to call her after baby arrived. It was so much better for me.

Big yes to this. I love that people love my new baby (though they're all minimally involved with newborn/toddler/preschooler/etc) but it irks me that it's about them. I plan to delay the visits until, at the very least, the birth pool of gore is taken down and I've had a nap. It's kind of like the unwanted and not needed baby shower thing - I need nurturing and help, not to entertain and accumulate possessions. On the other hand, I also know what it feels like for no one to care and no one to want to visit or even acknowledge the baby. There is no pleasing me! orngtongue.gif

http://avital.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-be-best-post-partum-visitor-in.html#ixzz1I6Y1fOoS

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=34

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#141 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM

I love the name Athena and I don't think it's at all pretentious. It's really pretty and if you love it then it should be back in the running. I always tell my friends who are expecting their first babies to make sure they LOVE the name(s) they're choosing because it's forever and you'll say it and write it about a trillion times in your lifetime. I can't imagine my kids having a name that I wasn't crazy about. I'd probably have to change it! lol  When I was about 8 mos pregnant with my DD I had a sudden freak out and decided that we HAD to find a different name for her. The name we had chosen was Cameo, which I liked, but it wasn't her name. It took many tears (on my part, because I was so frustrated with not finding "the" name) before we settled on her current name (Hannah), which I love.

On the peeing thing... YES!! This bub is transverse most of the time, which is great for not putting a lot of pressure on my bladder. But when he moves to vertex or breech and especially when he starts kicking my bladder, I have to run for it! Thank God for Kegels and great bladder control or I'm sure I would have peed myself several times by now.

No complicated sleeping situations here, thank goodness! I need less complicated as much as possible! My daughter has nightmares so she'll come crawl in with me every so often. She did it again last night, actually, because we had a HUGE thunderstorm and she gets scared. But she's 10, nearly 11, so it's easy enough for her to relocate herself if necessary. I have a pack'n'play right next to my bed that is going to be the bed for naps and such, but at night baby will be in bed with me. At some point he'll move in with big brother but that's a ways down the road, like at least a year or more. I'm really not worried about it, we'll just see what happens and go with it.

Our weekend was pretty good. The weather was beautiful! The kids had their games on Saturday and I ended up working for almost 3 hours in the concession stand at the ballpark instead of the hour that I was supposed to be in there. But, I could sit down when I wanted and it was cooler in there than on the bleachers, and I could see Hannah's game, so I was happy. Sunday we spent most of the day out in the yard. My mom and I are putting up a combo trellis/fence along one side of our driveway. We have a wisteria and 3 grapevines that need something to climb on, and the dogs need to be contained in the yard. This fulfills both purposes. Plus we'll be adding kind of a pergola thing that goes over the driveway so the viney things can grow across that and shade the side of the house that is in full sun all day long. I did a little weeding too, which is good for practicing my deep squats. :)  My niece and younger nephew came over in the morning so my BIL could go on this mud run thing with his friend, and my niece ended up staying all day instead of going home with her daddy. The girls played all day and had a blast, which was nice. Kaleb entertained himself across the street with his friend. All in all it was a good weekend. I didn't do any school work, which is bad because I have a case study due Friday, a ton of clinical paperwork to finish, a simulation lab to get ready for, a research paper due Friday, and an exam tomorrow. I'm about to start working on some of that in just a bit.

This morning was also the start of DS doing his intensive OP therapy program. I spent a few hours at the program this morning answering questions, giving background, and filling out paperwork. When I left, he was in group with some other kids. I'm really hoping that this helps and that we can use this as a really good starting point for further therapy for both him and our family. The program does family therapy and parenting education, both of which my mom and I will be going to. I hate to see my sweet boy hurting and I pray that I'm able to help him past this rough spot. He's such a good kid, so smart and funny and helpful and sweet, that it just kills me to see this rude, ornery, belligerent man-child taking over his body.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#142 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I love the name Athena and I don't think it's at all pretentious. It's really pretty and if you love it then it should be back in the running. I always tell my friends who are expecting their first babies to make sure they LOVE the name(s) they're choosing because it's forever and you'll say it and write it about a trillion times in your lifetime. I can't imagine my kids having a name that I wasn't crazy about. I'd probably have to change it! lol  When I was about 8 mos pregnant with my DD I had a sudden freak out and decided that we HAD to find a different name for her. The name we had chosen was Cameo, which I liked, but it wasn't her name. It took many tears (on my part, because I was so frustrated with not finding "the" name) before we settled on her current name (Hannah), which I love.

I read the bolded part as "It took many years before we settled on her current name...". I was so confused, wondering what you must have called her in the interim. lol.gif

DH still won't discuss names with me because "It's too soon". I know I've vented about this before but it's driving me up the wall. I'm nearly 32 week pregnant for heaven's sake! He did the same thing last time around and by the time we discussed it I was so fed up that I pretty much agreed to the first thing he said he liked. I don't want that to happen again. We have really different taste in names and I know it'll take a while to find something we're both happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeyedvireo View Post

Oh, yes. My 3 year old is still nursing to sleep and nursing in the morning before he wakes up, and waking up crying to nurse once or twice a night between 11:00 and 6:00, which is when I have declared milk to be "closed" so I can get some sleep. Theoretically. When he finally accepts it. He had been nursing something like twelve times a night until we started night nursing a month ago, and he's incredibly stubborn. He is also a very restless sleeper, and I have been counting on my husband to be a buffer between us so the baby doesn't get kicked - but my husband is having horrendous allergies that make him snore deafeningly all night long, which means he has been sleeping upstairs and occasionally appearing to help out during hysterical crying episodes in the middle of the night. I don't see this changing until after the first frost, sometime in October, so what on earth we are going to do to balance all those needs I don't know. I'm just trusting that God knows what's up, and we'll get through it somehow. Phew.

I hear ya. I'm hoping things will work themselves out because, well, they just have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

I like the name Athena :)

So for all my "feeling better" talk yesterday...I'm sick again. My stomach is tore up all over again. I woke up at 4 am and thought in my half awake fog, that baby might be coming because of how bad I was cramping. Trying to push fluids again and take it super easy today.

I did get to make a bib last night :D I think it turned out well for a first attempt and trying to wing it. Loving my machine though.

I'm sorry you're still having tummy troubles! I hope you feel better after a quiet day.

I meant to comment on the new sewing machine - your DH rocks! Are you good at sewing? Or a beginner?

#143 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Kawa, great links.  I just shared them on FB to help my friends and family get the hint!

Mommy2Austin - what kind of machine did you get?  A new sewing machine is so exciting!!

Wow, Jenni, you are really in the home stretch of school!  Good luck with all your upcoming projects and stuff.  I hope your DS has a positive experience in therapy today.

Is anyone else feeling overly emotional these days?  I have started crying at the drop of a hat and can't seem to get a grip.  I think my hormones are taking over my common sense and I keep going into meltdown mode!

#144 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Big yes to this. I love that people love my new baby (though they're all minimally involved with newborn/toddler/preschooler/etc) but it irks me that it's about them. I plan to delay the visits until, at the very least, the birth pool of gore is taken down and I've had a nap. It's kind of like the unwanted and not needed baby shower thing - I need nurturing and help, not to entertain and accumulate possessions. On the other hand, I also know what it feels like for no one to care and no one to want to visit or even acknowledge the baby. There is no pleasing me! orngtongue.gif

http://avital.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-be-best-post-partum-visitor-in.html#ixzz1I6Y1fOoS

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=34

Everything is about my mom, so issues there all around. And yeah most of my family and dh's family have barely acknowledged we are expecting a baby so hurt there, ugh. I have read the two links previously and they make me cry every time.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#145 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Awwww, Annabelle, I can relate. It is upsetting. I told DH the other day that I always imagined me being pregnant/having a baby would bring my mom and I even closer, but in reality I have never felt more distant and uncomfortable with her. It's basically just shining a spotlight on any issues I thought were minor or was able to shrug off in the past, but they just seem so glaring now. Lucky for me my MIL is the polar opposite if my mom and has been very loving and supportive even if I do think she secretly thinks I am a weirdo crunchy granola hippie.

Jenni, I have no idea how you are juggling everything. You need a superwoman cape, stat! I am such a bum and DH only encourages me to be one, which doesn't help. smile.gif

Tracy, I haven't been crying a lot or having meltdowns but I seem to have so little patience lately. Things just kind of eat at me, that I would normally let slide off my back. Its been really noticeable to me, and it's not making me happy.

Question! For those of you that cosleep in the bed, do you have anything like a bumper or anything? I am curious about logistics. I am thinking of side-carring a crib to appease DH (former EMT and he says he saw way too many suffocated babies, despite his liking AP) but it seems so... Clunky.
#146 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM

I'm a beginner as far as the actual sewing goes, but have been reading and researching for years about it, just never had the ability/gumption/time to do it. I think I'm doing pretty well so far :) DH is setting up a "station" for me tonight. I'll try and take a few pics to share!

ETA: He bought me a Janome Mystyle100. Its the basic model, but I'm happy :)

#147 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

Any of you ever used flats for the newborn stage?  I suppose I'll play with folding.  Oh, also 4 bumgenius one-size that need to be stripped, which I have yet to research.  I did a round with bac-out 2 years ago that didn't work.  Guess I should check out the diapering forum for stripping advice.  It's been so long!

My mom is throwing a shower for me May 1.  I'm kind of shy about asking for stuff for a second baby, but I realized we really don't have much besides the diapers and a Boppy... we'll need another convertible carseat when s/he outgrows the bucket, and I have my eye on a few other things like a Gypsy Mama wrap, diaper sprayer, a couple kimono tops.  It seems kind of weird to ask for things for a second baby, but I guess if people want to give us things, I might as well ask for things we'll actually use!  Have already made my mom promise no silly shower games, just ladies chatting and snacking, so it'll be fairly painless I guess.

DS is so BIG these days.  We got him a balance bike and he's actually big enough to reach the ground.  And he has done bedtime at two different friends' houses, completely successfully without a peep, while DH and I went out to shows.  Amazing.  Just when we're about to add a baby, my baby becomes a kid!  He's been wearing new Batman pajamas for 2 weeks straight, and insisting we call him Batman.  The only way I can get pants on our little nudist!

I got flats for this baby, used prefolds for DS. I'm on diaper swappers a lot and they have a great tutorial thread with tons of folds. I'm liking origami and mini-kite very much in practice.

I LOVE my Gypsy Mama wrap and intend to live in it this summer!

My DS has a balance bike as well. I love it. He's also a big super hero pretender.

Quote:

It doesn't seem complicated, but DS (3), baby and me will all be in the bed. I'm getting a co-sleeper for baby, just to feel a little safer. New, floppy babies make me too nervous to sleep. I'm really excited at the idea of all of us bonding in the bed together. DH thought we should consider moving him, but I don't want DS to feel like he got bumped, yk. Plus, I genuinely enjoy sharing sleep with him.

Quote:

I'm all twitchy during my Hypnobabies, lately too. I don't even have restless leg, I just get randomly itchy.

DS has never done an overnight. I'm not comfortable with it. My mom has stopped asking. My stepdad started asking when he was, like, a week old. Um, no. It's annoying. I'm hoping that he will be into coming to the hospital to watch baby sister be born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Is anyone else feeling overly emotional these days?  I have started crying at the drop of a hat and can't seem to get a grip.  I think my hormones are taking over my common sense and I keep going into meltdown mode!

Sorta. My main emotional state lately seems to be irritated with dumbasses. :P I don't feel irritated with DH or DS, so I'm starting to think maybe it isn't just me and hormones.

Quote:

Question! For those of you that cosleep in the bed, do you have anything like a bumper or anything? I am curious about logistics. I am thinking of side-carring a crib to appease DH (former EMT and he says he saw way too many suffocated babies, despite his liking AP) but it seems so... Clunky.

We had a sidecarred crib with DS. I'm doing an Arm's Reach mini for this babe as the crib takes up soooo much room. Once baby is less floppy, I'll get rid of it or at least move baby to the bed next to me and use that as a rail. The crib is still sidecarred for the moment, mainly as a rail. DS now sleeps in it for stretches from time to time.

I've been wondering if anyone will offer me a shower. I really only want a few things, like a new monitor, but, so far, no one has asked for any ideas.

I'm definitely feeling clunkier lately. I'm outgrowing some clothes, so I don't have as much summer stuff as I thought. I'm trying to figure out if maternity pjs would be worth it. Do they make maternity/nursing pjs? That would be better, last a little longer.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#148 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Wow this thread has really gotten away from me and I was really planning to be active this month. I think I will have to start from here unless I find some time to go back and review what has been going on...I am taking an online class that is just insane demanding and so most of my computer time is doing work irked.gif Oh well, I am just glad to get it over with before baby get here.

Quote:

I totally relate to you on this. I am an emotional wreck these days. I thought I left all this behind with my 1st trimester but, it is back. I am crying over everything, way too sensitive and my emotions are running wild. I am positive my hormones are going wild and are the cause. My poor family...they are starting to think I have gone mad!

On a fun note, I had my baby shower this weekend. It was very nice and I appreciated all the hard work my mom and friend put into it unfortunately, I only got 2 things I needed and the rest was stuff that was cute but, not practical for our needs. The good news is I went to the swap meet on Sunday and scored a bunch of stuff I needed and my friend gave me a few big ticket items that her baby doesn't need. I finally found a full size co sleeper on craiglist and I am picking it up tomorrow so baby stuff is getting there.

#149 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
The only "help" she ever gave us was in the form of a bunch of outdated, unsolicited advice. To be fair, I think it's largely how she was raised - I doubt she had any help from her parents either. I don't think it even occurred to her to offer it.

Both my mum and MIL, and a few older ladies from church, have commented a lot on how little help they got from their parents when they had kids. A few of them sound kind of bitter about it - almost like "Well, I didn't get any help and I survived, so my daughter shouldn't get any either!"; and I always feel like saying "Well yeah, but didn't it suck for you to have no help? Why would you wish it on the next generation?".

MIL and FIL will probably help by babysitting DD a bit, although SIL recently had a second baby so their attention will be divided in that regard! My mother will also babysit DD, and will theoretically be willing to help with housework and cooking, but DH refuses to eat her cooking and I'd feel uncomfortable asking her to help with the housework. Oh well. It shouldn't be too bad - DH works from home and will be trying to take some time off when the baby's born as well.

Quote:

Well, I slapped DH on the face yesterday. I wasn't angry... what happened was, we were having a shower and he started whistling a tune, and it was so loud and piercing and really hurt my ears. So I said "No, too loud, piercing, stop!" and he kept whistling - he claimed later that he was whistling more softly, but it was still incredibly shrill - so I panicked and slapped him on the cheek. Fortunately he found it hilarious (and it worked!). lol.gif I was all "You were gonna shatter the baby's fetal bones with your resonance!" and he was all "I'm telling my dad". He didn't, though. I don't think FIL would have understood. :p

Also, I had the weirdest dream last night. We were visiting the USA, and I was booked into this swanky birth centre in a fancy mall - not a nasty one, all classy with chandeliers and gold and decorated for Christmas. So I was in labour, but I couldn't concentrate on the contractions because there was so much to look at in the birth centre - a mini-golf course, at which I pwned DH (thus proving this was a dream!), and a Harry Potter-themed gift shop with a real-life Professor McGonagall walking around haranguing the patrons, and all these other cool shops. And because I couldn't concentrate on the contractions I stopped having them, and my older sisters got all panicky because they thought I'd be there for days. So they persuaded me to book into my room so I could concentrate, and we got the "Fantasy Suite", which cost $118 and had a four-poster bed draped with floaty canopies. But my credit card declined so I headed out into the main mall to look for DH, only to realise that I was naked from the waist down, and bleeding a bit, and only had a pillow to preserve my modesty. So people in the food court kept giving my funny looks, which I suppose was fair enough, but in the dream I was all "Get over it, people, there's a birth centre right next door, aren't you used to seeing half-naked labouring women?"

And then I woke up. Fascinating, no? I think the only relevant part of the dream was the credit card declining - I've been a bit worried about money lately. Not because we're struggling on the day-to-day living stuff, but we were supposed to go to the USA this December, and we don't seem to be saving up at the rate we should. Also, DH's new Atkins diet is costing a MINT in meat and veggies.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#150 of 367 Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I am crying all the time. On Saturday at the kids safety fair they had a shaken baby to show how easily a baby can be harmed by shaking, and I cried, right there. I cry most days, some more intensely than others.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page