April showers bring June babies!****April Chat Thread!!***** - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tracy, I'm so sorry you're dealing with family issues, esp. now.  I haven't been there with parents, but I did decide a couple of years ago to cut off contact with a grandparent who's manipulative, mean, and selfish.  The rest of the family knows it and tolerates it, but they've been respectful of my decision.  It was SUCH a weight lifted off my shoulders and I don't regret it for one second.  I simply don't have the energy to take care of my husband and children AND deal with somebody else's crazy.  So, I'm thinking of you and wishing you a peaceful time.  hug2.gif

AFM, we got some not-so-great news on Friday:  our daycare is closing on June 10th.  It's an in-home daycare and the woman is like a part of our family.  My girls have never stayed with anyone other than her (outside of family); they adore her ... my youngest regularly asks her to please move in with us.  love.gif  We're so very sad, but her health is suffering and she cannot manage the stress any longer.  In my gut I think I knew it was coming, but I was in denial.  I was so shocked to find out that one of the other parents actually yelled at her about it!  People just kill me sometimes.

So anyway, now we get to find another daycare.  I'm so not looking forward to that.  I'm picky, but my husband is NUTS when it comes to this issue.  The easiest thing would be for the girls to go to the YMCA before- & after-school program, but I'm pretty sure he'll nix that immediately (we're not Christian and their mission is specifically religious).  We've had 2 aquaintances offer to watch them, but he has adamantly refused both of them so far.  I wonder what his response would be if I told him he needed to quit his job and stay home with them instead (he did that for a year with dd#1).  mischievous.gif

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Wow... I am so never going to be able to comment on everything! I'll hit the highlights...

Sarah... LOVE the dress! It's lovely and it looks so comfy! I'd add straps of some sort because I'm always paranoid that I'll lose my top! lol  Your belly is so cute too!

Tracymom... I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with such hard family stuff. That's never fun and it's always worse when you're pregnant and emotional and stressed anyway. Hugs to you. My dad has Bipolar Disorder (undiagnosed) and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (also undiagnosed) along with drug and alcohol addictions. It's really hard having a parent who can't act like an adult.

So... our weekend was so busy that I'm spending today recovering. Saturday we had a baseball game then a softball game. Then we went to a friend's farm (I met her here on MDC!) where the kids ran around with her kids all day while us mommas chatted about gardening, raising kids and animals, breastfeeding, birthing, baby wearing, and more. It was divine. It was the first time we've ever met in person, but we totally clicked so now she's my friend! We came home with 18 fresh eggs from their chickens and 2 jars of homemade preserves. It did my heart good to spend some time out in the country. I live in town and we have a fairly crunchy existence here, but it's always nice to get away from all of that for a while and do something different. Sunday we spent at home knocking out chores and yard work and putting up more 4x4 poles for our pergola/fence. It's going to look so great once it's done! I need to take some "in progress" pictures so we can see the progression of the project.

Today I meet with the OB/medical director of my MWs' practice to discuss the VBAC stuff. I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm going to bring a copy of my birth preferences with me too so he can have an idea of what I want. I don't expect him to tell me no on any of it, and if he does I don't expect that I'll listen anyway. :)

Kaleb's treatment seems to be going well. We had a family therapy session this morning with him and I and the therapist. I ended up getting frustrated because he wouldn't talk about anything and he was mumbling and staring at the floor. Then he got mad at me because I was prodding him for answers. He ended up crying and I was nearly crying. The therapist gave us a couple of tools for avoiding that kind of meltdown during our conversations, which was good. She also suggested that I try to spend some one on one time with just Kaleb. I need to talk to my mom about doing that with each kiddo so that she can be with the other one. I also realized that I need to sit down and talk to the kids either together or individually about their feelings and expectations about the baby. Somehow we've never really talked about it, and we really need to.

Anyhoo... I'm off to clean up some stuff really quick before my appointment.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Tracy--- I'm kind of jealous of your decision. There are a couple of people in my family who are like you have described and while I tolerate them sometimes it would be nice to just say "ya know what, I'm done!". Props to you for doing it!! Enjoy your new, more peaceful life :)

MommytoAustin--Cute! My DH and DD would love a puppy or a kitten, but I can't handle that on top of everything else. When did I become a party pooper??

Heathenmom-- I'm so sorry to hear about your daycare situation! I was on the other end (provider who had to quit) and I felt so incredibly terrible! It was like I was letting her down on so many levels. I hope that you can find a place that both you and DH like--this would be super hard for us to do as well. So thankful we haven't had to go down this road yet!!

Jenni-- yay for the country time! and double yay for the new like minded friend!! Can't wait to see if the therapy sessions continue to get better for bot you and your son. I have a couple of nephews that would really benefit from something like this too.

Hoping that everyone has a great week! Just attempting to continue to get projects done and complete :) --> This seems like an impossible task. 

Anyone else getting super hungry at night? It's been happening to me for about 5 days. Like whoa hungry, even after dinner!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Ok, I totally LOVE the OB that I saw this afternoon! It's the policy of my MWs' practice that all VBAC moms have to talk to the medical director sometime between 32 and 34 weeks about the risks and benefits of VBACing. I wasn't worried that the OB would try to talk me out of it because my sister had said that he hates c/s.

Well he was AWESOME!!

First off, he uses the term "normal birth" often and easily. I have never in my life had an OB say that at all, much less like it's a good thing. He's way supportive of VBACs and when I told him that I don't want a bunch of interventions and that I want to wait as long as possible before scheduling a repeat c/s he said that's not unreasonable. He said that regardless of what he tells me, ultimately it's my decision of what to do and they can't strap me down to a table and do anything to me that I don't want. We talked about the risks involved in VBACing and he said that they're very low, but there are risks. Of course, there are risks inherent with anything we do in life. He just wants to make sure that I understand what the risks are and what my odds of having something bad happen are.

He also said that he sees no reason why I couldn't have a normal birth, especially since I had 2 normal births before the c/s and I went into labor on my own both times.

It was overall a very good visit and he's a really nice OB. With that kind of backup for my MWs I'm feeling way way better about all of this. :)

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Great news, Jenni! Will this be your 1st VBAC?

I'm scheduled to meet my MWs backup fairly soon and, although it's optional and I don't have a similar history, I'm hoping for a great experience. It bums me out when obstetricians are all painted with the uninformed, lazy and greedy brush. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Great news, Jenni! Will this be your 1st VBAC?

I'm scheduled to meet my MWs backup fairly soon and, although it's optional and I don't have a similar history, I'm hoping for a great experience. It bums me out when obstetricians are all painted with the uninformed, lazy and greedy brush. 

Yes, this is my first VBAC. It will be my last as well because I'm getting my tube occluded after this baby is born.

I don't like it when all OBs are painted with the same brush either. There are some really incredible OBs out there and some totally awesome ones. The same is true of any profession, of course. I'm thrilled that this OB is a good one and I hope yours is too!

Jenni

Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

yay for the optimistic visit!!!!!!!!! I agree that OB's get lumped into the no-good pile way too easily irked.gif Its the individual who makes the profession, not the profession who make the individual.

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM

I've been reading birth stories. Wow! Reading them brings back memories of DD1's birth, and makes everything seem so much more real all of a sudden.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

It will be my last as well because I'm getting my tube occluded after this baby is born.

As in Essure or Adiana? Something else? 

Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:

As in Essure or Adiana? Something else? 

I'll be doing Adiana. I'm allergic to nickel so the Essure is out. I only have one functioning fallopian tube, but the Adiana is small enough that they can put that into what's left of my right tube (just in case) and then do the left as well. I love that I don't have to have surgery! Much less expensive, much faster recovery time, and no dealing with being in the OR at all.  :)

Jenni

Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 PM

I'm just making DH get a vasectomy ROTFLMAO.gif

Both my mom and sister went crazy hormonal after having their tubes "tied" so I didn't want to take that chance haha

Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

I'm just making DH get a vasectomy ROTFLMAO.gif

Ditto! 

So I've started this really awesome thing where I wake up sometime between 2 and 3 AM, and then stay that way til 5 or so.  Can I just say it suuuuuuucks.  All I want right now is to curl up next to DH and go back to sleep, but when I try I just lay there staring into the dark.  Or, worse, I roll around so much I wake DH, so then we're both tired the next day.  I can't even blame it on anything.  Sometimes I wake up from painful reflux, a couple of times I've needed to go to the bathroom, but most nights I just... wake up.  How do you fix a problem that doesn't have a cause? 

Blarg.  I need to find some quiet late-night hobbies so I can at least be productive!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

I'll be doing Adiana. I'm allergic to nickel so the Essure is out. I only have one functioning fallopian tube, but the Adiana is small enough that they can put that into what's left of my right tube (just in case) and then do the left as well. I love that I don't have to have surgery! Much less expensive, much faster recovery time, and no dealing with being in the OR at all.  :)

Yeah I'm looking at getting Essure. I just learned what it was (thank you MDC!!) and am so happy to have an option that doesn't land me on an operation table! One of those, I've spent 4 pregnancies avoiding C-sections only to end up in the OR to not have anymore? Sounds so weird!

DH will also be getting a vasectomy. In my mind(and in his), we're finished having children, even if (knock on a gigantic piece of wood!) something were to happen to either of us down the road or we split. So we both want to be DONE.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 AM

I'd really like to get Adiana but am not yet sure my ins will cover it. My DP has talked about getting a vasectomy since we met and well, that doesn't seem to be a reliable form of birth control for us. I'd still like him to do it but that doesn't take away the need in my mind for me to be sterile as well. Regardless, I'll be 36 a month after birth and my body is so so so achey and tired. This will be my 6th baby, 7th total in my family. I've been having kids since I was 18. I'm over it. 

Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:

I'd really like to get Adiana but am not yet sure my ins will cover it. My DP has talked about getting a vasectomy since we met and well, that doesn't seem to be a reliable form of birth control for us. I'd still like him to do it but that doesn't take away the need in my mind for me to be sterile as well. Regardless, I'll be 36 a month after birth and my body is so so so achey and tired. This will be my 6th baby, 7th total in my family. I've been having kids since I was 18. I'm over it. 

I'm right there with you mama, although I'm only birthing #4 (had 5 pregnancies, 1 m/c.)  I'm tired and worn out and ready to move on. We have said that if in the future we decided we wanted more, it would be through adoption. Although I'm pretty sure we're done with our 4 :P 

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM

I always thought that I would have at least 5. Then we had DD and I changed it to 3. Now that this bean is on the way, my husband decided he wants 2. At first, my gut reaction was -- what?? no way!!!...  and then I thought about how nice it would be to only concentrate on two. 1 girl and 1 boy. It is so cliche that it make me want to puke, but at the same time... kinda nice and comforting. When everyone in my family hears that this very well be our last , they freak! And then I explain to them that if DH is content and I am content....why change that? Of couse we all know when both of these little monsters get old enough to not need me, I will be filling out all the adoption paperwork to start all over again hahaha!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't know if I could ever do permanent birth control. I tend to change my mind about EVERYTHING (I never even wanted kids to begin with and now I am on #3).  I think we will do NFP and condoms until we figure things out.  DH and I are both older - I will be 37 and he is 42, so we are getting a little tired and my body is not reacting well to this pregnancy.  But I do kind of think I might like one more, maybe not for a few years, though.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Yeah, I don't know if I could ever do permanent birth control. I tend to change my mind about EVERYTHING (I never even wanted kids to begin with and now I am on #3).  I think we will do NFP and condoms until we figure things out.  DH and I are both older - I will be 37 and he is 42, so we are getting a little tired and my body is not reacting well to this pregnancy.  But I do kind of think I might like one more, maybe not for a few years, though.

I totally get that :) I struggled with the idea after my daughter was born. We were going to wait a few years for another, but *Surprise* here I am. And she isn't even 15 months yet. And I can just feel right now that I'm done. I've struggled to bond with this one because I feel like it was too soon for me to be pregnant and Tristyn hasn't gotten to be the baby long enough.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 AM

This is definitely our last!  I originally wanted a big family and dh only wanted 2.  But when he didn't get a son the 2nd time, he changed his tune pretty fast.  wink1.gif  Anyway, I'll be 41 this year, and don't ever want to go through another diabetic pregnancy.  I have relatively easy pregnancies/labors/deliveries, but the medical professionals I have to deal with are just insane and the older I get the less patient I am with their crap.

People just assume since we don't want anymore that one of us is getting sterilized, but we both find the idea of that unappealing.  We have several friends who have had dreadful experiences with vasectomies, and after an awful IUD experience, I just don't want anybody tinkering with my plumbing. shy.gif  We've used nfp for nearly our entire marriage, so we'll continue with that.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 AM

I think I'm behind in responding to things, so sorry if I miss personals.

Whoever said about being hungry at night...OMG that's me. I could go through my whole day hardly eating anything, and then 10:00 at night hits and I am starving. Then I eat a whole bunch of cheese and crackers because I'm lazy and then I feel bad about myself. eyesroll.gif I have gained way too much weight this pregnancy, and my hip pain is getting worse, and whine whine whine whine... lol.gif

I don't think we'll be doing anything permanent after this baby, at least at first. One more MAY be in our future. When we're all done, DH might get a vasectomy, or we might just keep doing FAM, we will see. I'm not letting anyone mess with my tubes though. redface.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

We have several friends who have had dreadful experiences with vasectomies, and after an awful IUD experience, I just don't want anybody tinkering with my plumbing. shy.gif  We've used nfp for nearly our entire marriage, so we'll continue with that.

Us, too!  We know one couple who had sperm counts done and all was well and they got pregnant 2 months later!  Another man we know developed some type of infection post procedure and, thought I do not know details, I can say he suffered for months because of it.  Yikes!  And I had a Paragard IUD put in after DD and had an allergic reaction to the copper. That was absolutely horrible.  I guess we took it as a sign that we were not meant to prevent babies at this point!

So the weather in these parts is so ungodly awful that I just want to crawl under a hole and remerge sometime in late May.  It is in the 30s/40s and raining (snow yesterday!) and I guess it is supposed to stay this way for a while.  It should be in the 50s at least!  I am starting to get rather depressed by it all.  And cold.  I am so very cold! cold.gif I actually think that ice pellets are coming down right now because the rain is sounding a little "crunchy" and not in the MDC way.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM

We are still researching vasectomies... and let me tell you, there ARE some scary stories out there. I guess we could do a very precise rhythm method, but that's how we ended up with both our little ones haha. Birth control isn't an option and neither is an IUD or anything of the sort. DH is all about getting a V... so I told him the final decision is up to him--it's his man junk, not mine!!!wink1.gif

Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We'll be using FAM and condoms, which is what we used successfully before getting pregnant (deliberately - on the first try, too!) with DD. Admittedly, we only used it for about five months. :p Whether or not this will be our last baby - well, I hope not. I used to want a huge family... then I realised I'm not cut out for it, and decided on a "four would be cool, three is the bare minimum" policy. DH would be happy to stop at two, but seems willing enough to go for three... four might be pushing it, though. :p By the standards of our social circles we have a large age gap between babies 1 and 2 - DD will be three and a third by the time this baby's born; and I'll be turning 25 in June. I like the idea of having a slightly bigger gap before the next baby - maybe 4 years? - which would make me 29, and I kinda like the idea of being done with child-having by the time I'm 30.

I hate pregnancy, and my one birth so far was awful; so, yeah. I'm secretly aware of the possibility that if this birth goes badly, I might not be able to make myself do it all again. I'd feel sad about it, though. I come from a family of six kids, and I wish I had the mentality and physical stamina to have six of my own!

Of course, babies don't necessarily wait to be invited, so there's that. :p I just like to obsess about things. And yeah, the thought of hormonal or permanent BC (for me or DH) really makes me twitchy. Not my thing...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM

I am way behind here ladies. I have been busy w/ the yard sale and craigslist stuff. On Saturday I was enjoying the sun and warmth so much I burnt my arms to a lobster crisp. It has hurt so bad. 

I have two children, Anniston and Kellen, receiving sacraments at Easter Vigil Mass and Balen will be serving at Mass Holy Thursday, Good Friday service and Easter vigil. He has to be there extra early. Lots to do otherwise as well. 

We are good w/ God blessing us w/ more babies. It isn't such a strong desire, though, as it was in my 20's. I actually would love to have this baby and our next closer together, maybe like 18 months, if we are so blessed, but we are good w/ whatever.

We are supposed to close on the farm this week, by Thursday, in order to not lose $3000 the sellers are crediting us. We should be there, but goodness what could crop up. I am trying hard not to freak out.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm not sure how many we'll have. I've always hoped for at least 2, probably 3, and I think DH feels the same way. I wouldn't rule out 4, but realistically I think 3 is probably the best number given our lifestyle and means.

Nothing's set in stone though. Given my history of infertility the first time around, and an "oops" pregnancy the second time, I'm not taking it for granted that the decision will be entirely up to us.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

I've struggled to bond with this one because I feel like it was too soon for me to be pregnant and Tristyn hasn't gotten to be the baby long enough.

Same here. My youngest isn't quite as young as yours - 18m now. I've been through some nonsense during previous pregnancies but this one has been especially hard on my emotions. 

Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 PM

I used to want a whole passel of kids, but that may have been unrealistic... I'll have to see how it goes with this one first. I really don't like the idea of only having one though. I don't want her to be an only; I'd like to be able to have a sibling for her and preferably have not more than a 3 year age gap so they can still be playmates. Early pregnancy hit me so hard it got me wondering if I could handle it again--I wasn't sick enough to take a proper medical leave, but the idea of feeling like I did and holding down a job and caring for a toddler made me think maybe I couldn't have another, and that really bummed me out! So now I don't know, and part of my long-range planning will include how to deal with that possibility.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Same here. My youngest isn't quite as young as yours - 18m now. I've been through some nonsense during previous pregnancies but this one has been especially hard on my emotions. 

I had a hard time with my youngest as well, but that was due to getting pregnant just months after my mother's death with a due date near the 1 year anniversary. I ended up having her on the 1 yr. anniversary of my mother's death. I know that once she gets here I'll love her to pieces and it will be just like it is with DD1, but its hard to get there in my head right now.

On to happier thoughts! I'm in the planning stages of a WAHM business. Long story short, I will make/alter clothing for children with g-tubes as well as sell accessories for children with special needs. It seems to be a very underfed market and seeing and hearing what my GF has gone/goes through with her daughter just aids my drive to make it work.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, I had my MW appointment today, and I'm measuring 34 weeks. So either my fundus grew by 3 cm in one week, or the previous measurement was off...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Well, I had my MW appointment today, and I'm measuring 34 weeks. So either my fundus grew by 3 cm in one week, or the previous measurement was off...

Glad everything was better today :)

I just had to pull DD1's pinky nail off bigeyes.gif She seems to have managed to detach it from the nail bed (no apparent trauma...) and its been just hanging there for days. I finally couldn't stand to look at it anymore. It pulled right off...no blood or anything. Its the strangest thing, but at least I don't have to see it sticking out all over the place.

User Tag List