Wednesday:

Pay Bills

Paint DD's Dresser

Oil DD's Bookcase

Thursday:

Massage and Chiropractor?

Friday:

Midwife Apt.

Craft store: doll sling material, curtain material, picture frame, lace for bassinet, batting for co-sleeper mattress

Costco

Saturday:

Pregnancy photo shoot?

Afternoon and Dinner with DH (talk baby names!)

I was reminding DH that Monday is 37 weeks.  I think we need to put together the co-sleeper (see if I need to wash anything), cover the bed with something waterproof, and begin collecting non-daily-use birth supplies into one area.  I might try to pick up some non-perishable birth food too (like Recharge).  In the meantime, I'm still unpacking and settling the house!  Ahh!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#122 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Tomorrow's list:

-Make chicken Caesar salad for dinner

-Cook fish for lunch

-Supermarket shop

-Get more petrol (!!)

-Playdate with friend

-Get DD's hair cut

-Clean off top shelf of bookshelf for DD's toys

-Bake something for Mum to say thank you for watching DD on Fri/Sat

-Spanish practice

-5 Hypnobabies eyes-open practices

-Finish baby shirt

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#123 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Updating! The main thing that I have to do is to sew the poodle skirt & add the embellishments to it. She needs it for Friday so I do have tomorrow to finish it up, but I also have the baby shower on Sunday to get ready for.

• Recycle plastic grocery sacks (we do use these for things around the house, but we have about a million of them. We really need to be better about using all of the reusable grocery sacks that we have)
  • Party City: fairy wings for DD, poodle skirt for DD if they have it, if not...
  • Joann's Fabrics: Poodle skirt pattern, fabric, and notions
  • Sand & stain picture frames so I can hang them. Right now they're all different shades of wood that don't coordinate with the room and it's making me crazy! (Yes, I know I'm creating more work for myself. LOL)
  • Hang family/kid pics on wall above short bookshelf
  • Paint wall behind cat food area to match other side of family room
  • Sweep & bleach litter box area. Put new shelf paper down
  • Clean kitchen: dishes, counters, walls, floors, microwave, stove
  • Change sheets
  • Laundry: washing, drying, folding, putting away
  • Put away clothes in baskets
  • Clean soot off ceiling and cupboards in kitchen (Mom left a cast iron pan on the stove with it on and nothing in it, so it left a big soot mark on the ceiling and cupboards. DS cleaned part of it off, but he didn't get it all, and the ceiling is more smeared than cleaned.)
  • Find a new home for the older stroller & carseat combo to make room in the closet for more baby stuff
  • Stop by the clearance store to see if they still have the changing table with the drawers and laundry hamper in it ... this place needs to open back up!!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#124 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

You girls are really getting stuff done! I have totally slacked--- I need an assistant. bad.

Yesterday-- I washed all the baby clothes and diapers, recovered the rocking chair, ordered 99% of the baby stuff that I needed, and the handyman finished up some kitchen work.

Today-- I gotta get a few things at Target, BabysRUs, and Lowes annnnd the grocery. -- DH will be my chaffeur :) Gotta clean up a little and fold all the baby clothes. Also the vanities need a coat of paint-- again. 

Tomorrow-- paint the vanities-- these things will never end. Schedule the carpet cleaners and confirm with the house cleaners. Call and harass the painters--- they are bordering on ridiculous.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday- help DH finish up the master bath and paint the doors, touch up painting

I like how my to-do list changes everyday hahabiglaugh.gif

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#125 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Well, I finished the poodle skirt, mostly. I still have to put the poodle and the leash on. I was waiting for DD to get home from school so I could have her try the skirt on to see where we wanted the embellishments. She had a bad day right at the end of school so she took it out on me. Her first complaint was that the skirt was too long, which it's SUPPOSED to be. The second complaint was that it's too big. I left an extra inch in the waistband so that she could wear it longer than this one day and we can always pin it to fit her without a problem.

I basically threw up my hands, said, "Fine. Don't ever ask me to do anything for you again." and locked myself in my room for 2 hours to read and pout in my bed.

I wonder if she's done with her snit yet...

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#126 of 178 Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

hahaha that is hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Well, I finished the poodle skirt, mostly. I still have to put the poodle and the leash on. I was waiting for DD to get home from school so I could have her try the skirt on to see where we wanted the embellishments. She had a bad day right at the end of school so she took it out on me. Her first complaint was that the skirt was too long, which it's SUPPOSED to be. The second complaint was that it's too big. I left an extra inch in the waistband so that she could wear it longer than this one day and we can always pin it to fit her without a problem.

I basically threw up my hands, said, "Fine. Don't ever ask me to do anything for you again." and locked myself in my room for 2 hours to read and pout in my bed.

I wonder if she's done with her snit yet...

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#127 of 178 Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Things still to get/do for Finn William-

-my breast friend pillow

-bedding set

-stroller

-hats

-belly bandit or something of the like

-nursing bra

-nursing tanks/shirts

-dye blankets

-paint dresser

-diaper bag

-batteries for swing

-diaper basket

-pacifiers

-recover rocking chair 

-hang curtains

-fill out baby book

-take maternity pictures

-make freezer meals

-go to chiropractor

Things to do in the house!-

- finish kitchen cabinets

- finish floor trim - paint trim

- grout tile in master and kitchen

- seal counters and tile

- re-caulk bathroom floors

- caulk kitchen tile and trim

- touch up paint cabinets

- install shelves in kitchen/bathrooms

- buy new bath rugs/towels

- paint doors and hardware

buy/hang curtains in master bedroom

paint vanity/hardware in guest bath

- paint vanity/hardware in master bath

- redo shower doors

- bleach all tile floors

- paint master bath

- recover pillows in master bedroom

- buy new sheets for master bed

- clean out van!! and wash car seat covers

- reorganize DH's closet

- paint and install new fixtures in 1/2 bath

- buy rug for playroom

- finish landscaping

sell books

.... and the list overwhelms meduh.gif

#128 of 178 Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ The handyman came and left with $500 and I STILL have this much to finish!!!!! Thankfully the majority is finishing work.... but that is what takes the most amount of time and energy. <--- where am I suppose to get those? Especially when I am suppose to be on "couch rest" haha. 

I will say that I am 90% done getting everything together for the baby. His house may be a wreck, but he will be diapered, clothed, fed, and wrapped up in all his sweet blankies :)

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed like me? Or am I the only crazy one who seems to have a never ending list? I'm telling you... I just need one family member or friend to come and help me! I have called everyone, and they are all too busy help.gif   Work always seems to go by faster and more enjoyable when you have a partner. --- at least for me! I need the motivation...

Like now, I'm on the computer instead of painting and grouting---- eeeeek!

#129 of 178 Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM

well, it has not been the productive week i was hoping for. i made a bit of progress, but had a setback (computer) as well. thankfully the computer and my files are now back, so i can finish. won't finish today, but early next week is a possibility... baby, please stay in until my reports are done! fingersx.gif

i do have a chance to finish those birthday verses today. i must get on that soon. would be good to cross that off the list!

happy friday everyone!

this is what must be done this week:

work-related:

• finalize student reports (sent a handful off to be proofread; still need to finish up another handful and send those early next week)
  • finish writing student birthday verses (worked on but did not finish; still have two more to write. try to get them done today)
  • set up new student interview (interviewed and accepted)

mama/baby-related:

• go to dr. appt. on wednesday (rescheduled for next friday, omg i will be 38 weeks almost!)

home-related:

• plant tomatoes (actually this should read: get dh to dig the hole lol.gif)
  • buy and plant vegetables in barrels (waiting for next paycheck. hehe)
  • make sure dh hires carpet cleaners

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#130 of 178 Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Let's see... since I've been slacking on the cleaning stuff in order to work on sewing projects, I still have a TON of stuff to do!

• Recycle plastic grocery sacks (we do use these for things around the house, but we have about a million of them. We really need to be better about using all of the reusable grocery sacks that we have)
  • Party City: fairy wings for DD, poodle skirt for DD if they have it, if not...
  • Joann's Fabrics: Poodle skirt pattern, fabric, and notions
  • Sew poodle skirt for DD
  • Sand & stain picture frames so I can hang them. Right now they're all different shades of wood that don't coordinate with the room and it's making me crazy! (Yes, I know I'm creating more work for myself. LOL)
  • Hang family/kid pics on wall above short bookshelf
  • Paint wall behind cat food area to match other side of family room
  • Sweep & bleach litter box area. Put new shelf paper down
  • Clean kitchen: dishes, counters, walls, floors, microwave, stove
  • Change sheets
  • Laundry: washing, drying, folding, putting away
  • Put away clothes in baskets
  • Clean soot off ceiling and cupboards in kitchen (Mom left a cast iron pan on the stove with it on and nothing in it, so it left a big soot mark on the ceiling and cupboards. DS cleaned part of it off, but he didn't get it all, and the ceiling is more smeared than cleaned.)
  • Find a new home for the older stroller & carseat combo to make room in the closet for more baby stuff
  • Stop by the clearance store to see if they still have the changing table with the drawers and laundry hamper in it ... this place needs to open back up!!

Tons of stuff to do, but thankfully today is a beautiful day and cool enough that I can turn the AC off and open all the windows! That lets me air the house out, especially since I'll be bleaching some stuff today. And probably using Krud Kutter as well. I really try not to use chemicals very much, especially not when pregnant, but there are some messes that call for the heavy lifting of miracle chemicals. Like the soot on the ceiling, grease on the stove, and black fuzz on the baseboards behind the fridge. Gross.

Jenni

#131 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 AM

Wednesday:

Pay Bills (Ha!  organized papers, will pay bills Monday.  Waiting for the paycheck to go through.)

Paint DD's Dresser

Oil DD's Bookcase (Thanks DH!)

Thursday:

Massage and Chiropractor? (Next Tuesday)

Friday:

Midwife Apt.

Craft store: doll sling material, curtain material, picture frame, lace for bassinet, batting for co-sleeper mattress (got nothing I needed! Ugh!)

Costco

Saturday:

Pregnancy photo shoot?

Afternoon and Dinner with DH (talk baby names!) (DD's sick, so no dinner out, but we settled on a 3/4 of our names--just need a girl middle now!)

Next Week:

Sunday:

Set up Co-sleeper

Go to Joann's (without DD!) for supplies

Monday:

Organize DD's Clothes, Books, and Toys

Hang pictures in DD's room

Mail Bills

Catch up on Laundry

Tuesday:

Massage and Chiropractor

Evening with Friend organizing stuff

Wednesday:

Swim?

Plan party games for Friend's shower!

Shop for Birthing supplies (olive oil, mirror, iodine, etc.)

Thursday:

Get pedicure with pregnant Friends!

Friday:

Midwife Apt.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#132 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Today is baby shower day! And I have a ton of stuff to do but I'm on the computer instead... lol.

• Do laundry so I have something to wear (it's in the wash now!)
  • Fold the clean laundry on the folding table & put it away (there are people coming that haven't seen our house before so I know they'll want the full tour)
  • Clean the kitchen, again. Why do we have to keep eating & messing the room up??
  • Move dog kennels to the sunroom - right now they're in the family room, which is where we're doing the shower. And I know they'll be barking and acting dumb the whole time they're in there. Plus, I need the space that two BIG dog kennels take up for chairs!
  • Finish making the family room clean & organized with help from kids
  • Put shower game prizes together - DD is running the games so I said that I'd buy the gifts. Yay for the Dollar Tree!
  • Run to the store & get the candy for the diaper game. I'm really not a huge fan of these kinds of games, but DD wants to do this one in particular so I'm going along with it.
  • Get pens and stuff together for games
  • Put my own laundry away
  • Tidy my room - since baby land is in my room and I know that the friends will want to see baby's area, I need to make my room presentable!
  • Have kids tidy their rooms - again, because people will be here and will see them
  • Have kids clean 2 bathrooms each: sweep floors, trash out, scrub toilets, clean sinks (yes, we have 4 bathrooms! Great for having company or never having to wait, but more of a hassle for cleaning)

I think I'll just be printing this list out now to show the kids all the stuff that needs to be done in the next few hours. Of course, one of them isn't even awake yet...

Jenni

#133 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Get it Jenni! Have fun cleaning and having your shower!... so jealous that you have little children workers. Send them over my way :)

Josie-- You have gotten so much done! Jealous!

#134 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Right. Making a rather "meh", reluctant, I'd-rather-lounge-about-all-day to-do list today.

Have Spanish lesson (cancelled, our tutor was sick... just as well, I haven't done any practice this week!)

Bake something for the freezer with overripe bananas

Drink horrible third trimester tea

Finish white baby shirt (starting to sound like a broken record here, I know!)

Research fitted nappies (anyone know a good/cheap brand?)

Wash hair

Ring friend about playdate tomorrow

Make shepherd's pie for dinner

Do.... something... organisational. Clean out linen cupboard? Rearrange top of wardrobe?

Write some of homebirth article

Other Things I Have Done (to prove that I'm actually doing something...)

-Made a batch of caramel custards to have for desserts and breakfasts. I've been craving custard like you would not believe for the last few weeks. It's more or less nutritious, right?

-Looked up chests of drawers online, because I realised we have nothing to put the baby's clothes in once he's arrived. They're currently stored in my glory box, but that won't really work after he's born. Sadly, no nice cheap wooden chests of drawers to be found online...

-Put away a load of laundry

-Washed some more laundry (noticing with some displeasure that Flatmate Man has used up the last of the homemade washing powder and not told me)

-Made a list of things to take to the birthing centre; packed what I could pack ahead of time (ie, not much), including the smallest baby clothes I could find. Noticed that the baby has lots of tops, but very few trousers/onesies. Will have to scrounge some from SIL, or the poor tyke will get cold legs and perish.

-Rearranged bedroom... well, DH did the actual furniture-moving. I switched DD's bed with the bookshelf, so we now have more room next to our bed. Yay!

-Made chicken drumsticks for lunch

#135 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

In my humble opinion (Ive tried and researched everything!) I LOVE Green Mountain Diapers Workhouse fitteds. They wash amazing, are super soft, easy to clean, dye-able (if you want to make them super cute) and they are cheap! ---Like $8 a piece and the website only charges 6.50$ shipping for your whole order. Anywho... that's my vote. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Right. Making a rather "meh", reluctant, I'd-rather-lounge-about-all-day to-do list today.

Have Spanish lesson (cancelled, our tutor was sick... just as well, I haven't done any practice this week!)

Bake something for the freezer with overripe bananas

Drink horrible third trimester tea

Finish white baby shirt (starting to sound like a broken record here, I know!)

Research fitted nappies (anyone know a good/cheap brand?)

Wash hair

Ring friend about playdate tomorrow

Make shepherd's pie for dinner

Do.... something... organisational. Clean out linen cupboard? Rearrange top of wardrobe?

Write some of homebirth article

Other Things I Have Done (to prove that I'm actually doing something...)

-Made a batch of caramel custards to have for desserts and breakfasts. I've been craving custard like you would not believe for the last few weeks. It's more or less nutritious, right?

-Looked up chests of drawers online, because I realised we have nothing to put the baby's clothes in once he's arrived. They're currently stored in my glory box, but that won't really work after he's born. Sadly, no nice cheap wooden chests of drawers to be found online...

-Put away a load of laundry

-Washed some more laundry (noticing with some displeasure that Flatmate Man has used up the last of the homemade washing powder and not told me)

-Made a list of things to take to the birthing centre; packed what I could pack ahead of time (ie, not much), including the smallest baby clothes I could find. Noticed that the baby has lots of tops, but very few trousers/onesies. Will have to scrounge some from SIL, or the poor tyke will get cold legs and perish.

#136 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Are those the Cloth-Eez ones? They do sound good... do you need to add a waterproof outer layer to them? The fitted nappies the lady at the workshop talked about had two layers, a clothy one and then a waterproof one. This really isn't my area of expertise. :p

#137 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/workhorse.htm

These don't have a waterproof layer to them, you would need a cover. Are you looking for something with a waterproof layer already built in? Or do you like having the option of choosing your cover- PUL-->waterproof fabric, wool, interlock knit, fleece, etc.

Well, if you need any advice... I really have tried and researched everything hahaha

#138 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I guess when choosing a diaper you have to ask these questions:

Do you want an All-in-one or do you want to be able to choose the inner and outer pieces to suit your needs (nighttime, daytime, etc)

Do you care about having all natural fabrics touching baby's skin? Or would you like a "stay dry" fabric (micro-fleece, suede cloth, etc)

Do you want an one size option (fits about 10-12 lbs to 25-35 lbs) or would you like to have fitted diapers (newborn, infant, toddler, etc)

Do you want the most economical options or are you willing to spend more for convenience and ease of use/washing/prints etc.

I guess those are the main questions that you have to ask yourself before you get started. I personally have a stash of both All-in-one's and fitted cloth diapers with a range of covers, and some pocket diapers with inserts that I can choose to make it more or less absorbent. I can find any of these pretty cheap, always have a diaper that suits my needs/pee level/and how long I need it to be on baby's bum! I also buy sized diapers because I can never make a onesize diaper work properly... but I have babies who go from skinny, to fat, to skinny!

#139 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:

These don't have a waterproof layer to them, you would need a cover. Are you looking for something with a waterproof layer already built in? Or do you like having the option of choosing your cover- PUL-->waterproof fabric, wool, interlock knit, fleece, etc.

Well, the lady at the workshop seemed to think a separate cover was a particularly good way to prevent leakage, so I guess that's what I'm after?

Quote:

Do you want an All-in-one or do you want to be able to choose the inner and outer pieces to suit your needs (nighttime, daytime, etc)

I'm not too fussy, but I guess having inner and outer pieces is more flexible?

Do you care about having all natural fabrics touching baby's skin? Or would you like a "stay dry" fabric (micro-fleece, suede cloth, etc)

I'm not too fussed about all-natural; we don't seem to be prone to fabric allergies in this house. I guess stay-dry would be good? I'd like a nappy the baby could wear all night without changing him (because I'm lazy and because DD never actually seemed to care if she was wet), without getting a nappy rash.

Do you want an one size option (fits about 10-12 lbs to 25-35 lbs) or would you like to have fitted diapers (newborn, infant, toddler, etc)

Erm, fitted? I guess?

Do you want the most economical options or are you willing to spend more for convenience and ease of use/washing/prints etc.

I'm not too fussed about prints, but I'd like ones that will last for at least one more baby. So, not so cheap they'll fall apart after three months!

Given all of that, do you still think the Workhorse ones are my best bet? And what kind of covers would you recommend to go with them? Thanks so much for letting me pick your brains on this! I can research waterbirth and the ethics of episiotomies until the cows come home, but I seem to have a real mental block about nappies. :p

#140 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I think that if you are looking for leak protection-- having a two piece system always works better. I mean, there are two different layers to leak through! haha

And yes, I think that the workhorse fitteds are great! You can also buy the preemie prefolds that they have on clearance right now (.85 cents!!!!) to use as doublers for more protection. 

As for covers, if you are looking for good waterproofing- a PUL cover is always going to be your best bet. Thirsties covers and weehuggers seem to be the most popular and will generally fit a newborn well. If you want a more breathable option- wool and fleece are great, but aren't necessarily going to be 100% waterproof. Although they do hold in the wetness, you will be able to feel it eventually (by this time, you probably would have changed the diaper already anyway haha) 

If you wanted to make things easy on yourself and order from one website--- this is what I would order:

10- newborn (orange edge) workhouse fitteds ---(if you are planning on using disposables until the baby's stump falls off or if you make bigger babes, you can forgo these and just get yellow edge)

15-20 Yellow edge workhouse fitteds (fits from 9-15 lbs) ** I find that they can fit a newborn just fine, unless you have 6lb babies!

10- preemie prefolds or doublers of your choice

3- PUL covers (you can just wipe off with a wipe and reuse or if you like, rotate the covers with every change)

1-wool cover  (the Disana or Lanacare cover fits amazingly well for a LONG time-- I personally think this is a great option for day or night. Just change the fitted diaper underneath and slip back on!) ( And you only need to spot clean if it gets poop on it, regular washing is about every other week)

20 wipes (if you are using cloth wipes)

With this set, you would be washing every other day.   

Since you sew so well, you could easily start your stash with this and add on with things like doublers, covers, etc!!

#141 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That is super helpful! I'll run it past DH tonight... not that he's likely to have a considered opinion on cloth diapers, really! ...and should hopefully be able to order some tomorrow. I probably will use sposies for the first few days, at least - you get a pack free in the birthing centre, so between that and the meconium it seems like the easier option. DD was 8 pounds 7, so I'm not expecting this babe to be miniscule. I think we still have some newborn-sized pocket nappies, too; so, given that we're not terribly rich at the moment, I might just start with the next size up.

I know it seems silly to buy them when I sew, but my sewing to-do list is still SO! LONG! and I just can't get inspired about sewing several dozen cloth diapers.

The good news is, I finally got started again on the baby shirt that I've been ignoring for weeks. Hopefully I can get that all done tonight: it won't be quick, because I have to do the buttonholes by hand, but I'll feel greatly relieved when it's all done!

#142 of 178 Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

No problem! :)  I agree.. if DD was 8.7 lbs, get the yellow edge! We will probably use the sposies the hopsital gives us too, meconium is no fun in cloth haha There is no way that I could sew all of what you do PLUS diapers!  But, you'll have some great, dependable diapers with the fitteds and covers.

#143 of 178 Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM

I am almost afraid that this should be a different thread, but . . .

I was going to put an order in to Green Mountain Diapers today!  I did run across this though and am sorely tempted!  

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/newborntryclothdiapersfor10

I have a a complete stash of one size diapers gradually collected since DD was 5 months old.  She was 8lbs 10oz when she was born and VERY quickly grew out of her newborn clothes.  So I am thinking that this baby won't really take long to get into the one size, but I am thinking I want some little diapers too.  Hmm.  I was thinking of just ordering a dozen newborn prefolds.  I have already gathered:

14 small prefolds (they are NOT GMD so I think they are just "infant")

2 size one Thirsties Duo Diapers (Great deal at Jillian's Drawers "gently used" area for $9.95)

1 fuzzy red Baby Beehinds AIO size small (won a while ago in a giveaway, but too small for my DD at the time)

1 small AIO bumGenius (got it during their b1/g1 free offer)

1 size one Thirsties Duo cover

1 size small Bummis Cover

1 newborn prowrap cover (again, gently used Jillian's drawers for $5.95, I think)

1 small prowrap cover

1 neon orange small swim diaper (another giveaway winning)

So I thought that maybe a dozen more prefolds would take me through the newborn stage nicely.  Maybe I'll just get the orange edge, and if nothing else, fold and lay them in the diaper covers and use them for doublers later.

I think I will get a pack of Newborn 7th generation chlorine-free diapers, though, to use during the meconium stage and for absolute-dead-tired moments.

Oh, and I'd LOVE to try wool.  Which cover do you recommend most?

#144 of 178 Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

DD was born at 8 lb 13 ounces and didn't fit into any one size diapers until she was about 3months old. It's kind of a hit and miss with what your baby will fit in and what they won't. I found this out the hard way! She still doesn't fit that amazing into one-sizes... it's weird. hence why I am sized diaper loyal.

Definitely, prefolds are more "economical" bc you can use them FOREVER, no matter what size your baby- for doublers and pocket stuffers. I just cannot use a snappi and/or pins, plus I know neither myself or DH could ever get that fold right hahaha that is why we are "fitted diaper" obsessed! Maybe you can come over and help me practice folding and pinning prefolds :) P.S. I would go for the yellow edge. The orange newborns are tiny tiny tiny. And I would rather have to wrap the diaper a little tight then have a diaper that is a little too small. Those BF poop love to squirt out!

I LOVE BumGenius AIO. They are the best diapers. Especially in the small-large sizes bc they have that pocket opening for the option of putting in more absorbency. Plus, they are super trim-- I don't have to size up DD's pants for these. My other pocket love is FuzziBunz (which a lot of styles are on clearance on the Nickysdiapers.com clearance website right now <-- yay!! FuzziBunz fit a wide range of babies for a long time without having to go one-size. (DD was fat, then skinny, then fat, then skinny again and I never had a problem with fit!) I just love both BumGenius and FuzziBunz bc they are dependable, very customizable, and they both have great customer service. Plus, they last through multiple babies. 

Anywho :) haha  As for wool--- I like to go the easy route. Unless you are a wool lover and want to make your kid's outfits include the wool pants, shorties, etc. I think a good wool soaker is the way to go.

My recommendations are always --- Disana wool cover or Tiny Tush, Lanacare, Kissaluvs. <--- They are all basically the same style and all have there little differences. I have a Disana and Tiny Tush. They fit newborns all the way up to like 20 lbs. (I could probably put DD in my Tiny Tush cover size small and she is almost 2) and they are super soft, easy to care for, and they really do work great. I have a few other wool soakers, but they are more for the cute factor and less about great, dependable, diaper coverage. 

I like the idea of having a wool cover so that baby's skin gets to breathe a little and not be so "waterproof" all the time. Ya know what I mean? The prune-y butt cheeks haha 

There are so many diaper options out there. It's crazy. And every mama has their preferences. I am a mom who likes ease of use, dependability ---I do not want to have to worry about a diaper when I'm running errands and trying to be out and about!, and good fit. I have tried everything from prefolds to the Cadillac of diapers, and I always find myself going back to the tried and true :) Funny how that works!

#145 of 178 Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and p.s. I never get tempted by the newborn rental thing bc I am obsessed with Diaperswappers.com and always like to make my moolah back!!

#146 of 178 Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM

GUH!  Well, we're officially moving to Idaho at the end of July, so my moving list has gotten quite a bit longer.  AND we're possibly flying there next weekend to look for a house to rent, which adds a whole other pile of stress.  At least it'll give me time to work on my knitting?

List recap (I deleted the old completed stuff, so things crossed out are things I've finished since my last post):

Baby-related:

Sew:

Casual dresses (1 left)

Woven wrap

Sun hats (2 or 3)

4th of July dress, because we're going out with friends to watch fireworks and I am a dork who likes to show off  :-p

Knit:

Blanket (still working on this one... **sigh**)

name hat

kina sweater & matching booties

butterfly sweater

Buy:

Pack of newborn diapers & wipes (for traveling)

Any important stuff left on registry after shower this week

Me-related:

Sew:

Elastic-waist maternity/pp skirt (actually ended up being smocked-waist, but close enough)

Knit:

calla tank

Buy:

witch hazel pads

perineum irrigation bottle

lanolin

belly band/Spanx for pp

bras that fit once my size settles down (okay, my size technically hasn't "settled down", but I bought a couple nice bras that I think will work.  At least they're better than the cheap-o ones from Motherhood Maternity I've been living in for the last 6 months)

Moving-related:

Pack up books & other non-essentials

Donate/sell shelves, tables, dresser, extraneous kitchen nonsense

Give notice to apartment office

Schedule pick-up of rented washer and dryer

Schedule electricity shut-off date

Get quote from movers

Buy tickets for trip to ID

Stop buying groceries and use up all the food we won't be able to take with us when we move  :)

Post-partum prep:

Freezer meals!  I'd like at least 5 or 6 dishes, which (including leftovers) would give us at least 2 weeks' worth of food. 

Organize/wash baby supplies so I'm not scrabbling through cupboards when we bring LO home

Pick out birth announcements

I did do things last week, I swear!  I cleaned, I wrote a few thank you notes, and I knit more on the baby blanket (although not enough).  And everyday stuff that didn't make the list, like paying bills and grocery shopping and laundry.  I think my list has started making things worse - I end up overwhelmed by all the things I still need to do instead of motivated to do them.  :)  But I'm running out of time, I need to get crackin'! 

#147 of 178 Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Nikie- You're doing great! I feel your pain about moving :( It never can happen at a convenient time can it??? Good luck with all of your projects and travels!

#148 of 178 Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Thank you MaryElizabeth!  hug.gif  I needed that today.  Now it's time for me to get back to work!

#149 of 178 Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Things still to get/do for Finn William-

-my breast friend pillow

-bedding set

-stroller

-hats

-belly bandit or something of the like

-nursing bra

-nursing tanks/shirts

-dye blankets

-paint dresser

-diaper bag

-batteries for swing

-diaper basket

-pacifiers

-recover rocking chair 

-hang curtains

-fill out baby book

-take maternity pictures

-make freezer meals

-go to chiropractor

Things to do in the house!-

finish kitchen cabinets

- finish floor trim - paint trim

- grout tile in master and kitchen

- seal counters and tile

- re-caulk bathroom floors

- caulk kitchen tile and trim

- touch up paint cabinets

- install shelves in kitchen/bathrooms

- buy new bath rugs/towels

- paint doors and hardware

buy/hang curtains in master bedroom

paint vanity/hardware in guest bath

- paint vanity/hardware in master bath

- redo shower doors

- bleach all tile floors

- paint master bath

- recover pillows in master bedroom

- buy new sheets for master bed

- clean out van!! and wash car seat covers

- reorganize DH's closet

- paint and install new fixtures in 1/2 bath

buy rug for playroom

- finish landscaping

sell books

.... and the list overwhelms meduh.gif

#150 of 178 Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Oy! I feel like not a whole lot has been accomplished still :( Maybe my master bath will get done this weekend--- and my dad is coming tomorrow-Saturday to paint the doors so that WILL get done! I have lost all energy--- I feel like a zombie walking around dizzy.gif

But-- I WILL touch up paint today and hopefully DH will be in a working mood when he gets home and he can install a couple of lights and get the master all ready for me to paint! <---shake.gif

Thank the Heavens that this weekend is a 4 day weekend! Is there a secret way to make your husband feel like working his hiney off while you sleep all day?? Sheepish.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page