The "Mama Motivation" Thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 178 Old 04-02-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright girls... we have about 2 months left. And I need some motivation!!!!!!!!! I need you all to keep me accountable on my projects and help me get them done! I've made a little list and as I get things accomplished, I will mark it off --- so satisfying love.gif

So join in and don't let me feel like the only slacker in the bunch Sheepish.gif

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 178 Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Things still to get/do for Finn William-

-my breast friend pillow

-bedding set

-stroller

-hats

-belly bandit or something of the like

-nursing bra

-nursing tanks/shirts

-dye blankets

-paint dresser

-diaper bag

-batteries for swing

-diaper basket

-pacifiers

-recover rocking chair ottoman

-hang curtains

-fill out baby book

-take maternity pictures

Things to do in the house!-

- finish kitchen cabinets

- paint doors and hardware

- buy/hang curtains in master bedroom

- install new vanity/hardware in guest bath

- install new vanity/hardware in master bath

- redo shower doors

- bleach all tile floors

- paint master bath

- recover pillows in master bedroom

- buy new sheets for master bed

- clean out van!! and wash car seat covers

- reorganize DH's closet

- paint and install new fixtures in 1/2 bath

- buy rug for playroom

- finish landscaping

- sell books

.... and the list overwhelms meduh.gif

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#3 of 178 Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Wow, that is a lot to do!!!  At least you will have something to occupy your time during these last few months! 

Hey, I was going to let you know as far as the swing, you can go to Radio Shack and get a wall outlet for the swing and retrofit it.  That is what we did (you can find directions if you google it online) and it works like a charm.  That way you aren't going through batteries like crazy.  ;)

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 178 Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM

The thought of making "The List" is a little overwhelming to me right now, but I'll make it, and when I do, I'll post it here because I need some help too :P

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#5 of 178 Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Really?? That would be amazing! We have a bigger swing with an outlet which of course is amazing, but our little "travel" swing that I like to keep up in the bedroom takes c batteries and goes through them once a day! Thanks so much for telling me that!

#6 of 178 Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

If I don't make a list, I am not realistic with myself about the amount of things to do. I need something to kick me in the hiney and get me going!!!!!!!!!!!!! This house is going to be the end of me. I'm glad we bought and tore apart our house about 3 months before I found out I was preggers..... Now we have to get it back together and then put it on the market. Right after the baby comes out yikes.gif

#7 of 178 Old 04-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Kay, here goes:

Things to buy/accumulate:

• prefolds/snappis
  • diaper sprayer
  • new diva cup for myself
  • cosleeper
  • light swaddling blankets
  • cloth wipes
  • diaper covers
  • recipe for cloth wipe solution/spray or squirt bottle for solution
  • carseat/possibly stroller
  • new bras
  • food dehydrator/capsules for placentophagy
  • ring sling
  • pacifiers

Things to do:

• pack the hospital bag (I have an ongoing list of things I want to bring to help me have a natural birth as much as possible)
  • make the birth playlist
  • listen to Hypnobabies all the way through - I always fall asleep and then shut it off before it's finished :P
  • clear out craft supplies/piano from what will be the babyroom where her things are stored
  • paint/knit/crochet decorations since we can't renovate
  • in may: cook and freeze some vegan meals for after the birth, so that I can easily feed myself w/o worrying
  • get the truck totally cleaned
  • plan and start my urbangarden by Earth Day
  • create chores schedule for myself to stay on top of housework
  • finish prenatal class (ends April 19th)
  • blog 3 times weekly throughout

Things to knit:

• blanket
  • booties
  • at least one more soaker
  • at least one sweater

Well, getting it down on screen makes me feel a lot better. Whew. I can do this, I can do this! 

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#8 of 178 Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

You can do it! .... now make me do it too Sheepish.gif

#9 of 178 Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM

What are the most do-able things on your list right now? At least start them this week, post as you start each one!

Other than blogging (which I'm working on a few entries for the next couple days ^_^), the easiest and most timely things I can do right away is try to make my birth playlist and get it loaded on my iPhone, choose a pattern and start knitting my baby blanket, listen to Hypnobabies and make a list of what I'd like to plant in the garden. 

I'm going to try to get these things at least started this week - I'll post as I get going on each one. I'm sure there's more to my master list than what I'm remembering right now, but I'll add to it as I recall things.

Let's do it!

#10 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Cool. :) DH just started the Atkins Diet, and I only realised today that this will entail a lot of extra cooking and thinking on my part. *sigh* Oh well! K, here's my list of doom...

Stuff in italics is party done; stuff in blue is finished!

Things to Sew

-Nursing pyjamas for me

-Winter maternity dress for me

-2 pairs of Ottobre rompers for baby - blue and beige pair done!

-1 pair Butterick rompers for baby

-1 pair trousers for baby

-Sailor shirt and shorts for baby

-At least one more winter pinafore and/or dress for DD

-Winter coat for DD

-Felted vest/hoodie for baby

-Mei tai

-Ring sling

-Thingy to go over back of carseat to hold stuff

-Winter skirt for DD

-Postpartum pads

-Sleep sack

-Winter pyjamas for DD

-Floor quilt/playmat thing for baby out of jelly roll

Things to Knit

-Blue and cream hat

-Blue and cream kimono top

-Cabled green hoodie

-Blue bobbly vest

Things to Otherwise Organise, Buy or Do

-Freeze meals for after baby is born

-Stock up on ready-made-type meals (ravioli etc)

-Buy some more "hardcore" RRL tea than my current supply

-Order more iodine from midwife

-Bully DH into listening to Hypnobabies CDs, practicing birth scripts with me, etc

-Research/buy herbal sitz bath stuff for postpartum

-Buy fitted nappies

-Buy a dryer (!!)

-Go through DD's baby clothes, pick out and count up all the boy-appropriate stuff

-Research/buy vitamin D drops for baby and DD

-Try to get DD to sleep over at Gran's house, in case she has to during the birth

Things I Started Doing After Making This List and Now Need to Finish

-Beige shirt for baby

-Blue bobbly knitted hat to match vest

-Beige knitted vest

And that's the bare minimum! There are heaps more things I should sew for DD, and for the baby (I doubt I'll have much time for sewing once he's born, so I should do enough to last them for the first six months PP at least... which includes a change in season and a trip to Disneyland (hopefully!)... but then, I don't know what size they'll be by then...).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#11 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 AM

I have a list of to-dos in my head, but I'm not writing them down yet! I have my 1st baby shower on Tuesday with all my school friends and another month of school to get through before I feel like I can really focus on anything baby. I've done a few things here and there, and with my sister giving me a ton of baby stuff I'm pretty well set.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#12 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Alright today I am :   going to the post office --sold some extra dipes yeah!

picking up a few groceries

schedule the painter

start dyeing blankets

figure out the best way to sell these books and dvds!

hopefully get started on a good cleaning of the house to last me through the week --DH is out in the field so it's just DD and me :) Cheers to a girl's week!

^^ I don't know if any of that was even on my master list :( but, nonetheless it shall get DONE! energy.gif

#13 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Baby-related:

Sew:

Onesies (2)

Sleep gowns (2 or 3)

Casual dresses (3)

Dress for "sip 'n' see" party w/ hat

Woven wrap (I know this hardly counts, but I still have to buy the fabric and sew the trim)

Sun hats (2 or 3)

Knit:

Blanket

name hat

kina sweater & matching booties

butterfly sweater

Buy:

Pack of newborn diapers & wipes (for traveling)

Sun shades for car windows

Me-related:

Sew:

Elastic-waist maternity/pp skirt

Shower dress

Dress for "sip 'n' see" party (this might go to the "buy" category, as I have no idea what size I'll be)

Knit:

calla tank

Buy:

witch hazel pads

perineum irrigation bottle

lanolin

belly band/Spanx for pp

bras that fit once my size settles down

Moving-related:

Pack up books & other non-essentials

Donate/sell shelves, tables, other beat up furniture (Ikea is great for cheap stuff, but it does not move well, and we've moved it cross-country twice)

Other than the knitting stuff, which takes me *forever*, I think I feel better for having written everything down.  It looks like a lot less than what I was thinking!  I still need to get working, though.  Curse the internet for distracting me!  :)

Smokering, your to-do lists always blow me away.

#14 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Alright today I am :   going to the post office --sold some extra dipes yeah!

picking up a few groceries

schedule the painter

start dyeing blankets

figure out the best way to sell these books and dvds!

hopefully get started on a good cleaning of the house to last me through the week --DH is out in the field so it's just DD and me :) Cheers to a girl's week!

- wiped down all the cabinets and counters in the kitchen

- wiped down all moldings and window sills

- cleaned downstairs toilet

- put away all the random tools lying about

- finished up a load of laundry

Next--- put DD down for her nap, fold laundry, spray bathrooms with cleaner, put away all random things, vacuum and mop floors, clean bathrooms, THEN try to sort through          these books --- Does anyone have any experience selling books online? Is it a waste of time? I know I have school books that I've heard I can take to Barnes and Noble... but I'm unsure what to do with them all--- HELP!shrug.gif

^^ I don't know if any of that was even on my master list :( but, nonetheless it shall get DONE! energy.gif

#15 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Mary you are making me feel positively slothful! I've been studying for the whole day and feel like I've gotten nothing done.

I've sold books on Amazon before and I've made some good money off of them. However, now that I have no free time it's a total PITA because I have to go buy the mailing stuff, package it all up, go to the post office, etc. It's too much of a hassle for me so I either take stuff to Half Price Books or I hang onto them forever.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#16 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I normally am not this productive-- at all. It's just that my list is overwhelming me and at least a clean house will allow me to spend time on other things. PLUS, with DH not here for the week, it will stay clean ROTFLMAO.gif  -- Can't you tell I am taking a million breaks?? haha I need to finish the floors but it is such a pain to bend over. 

- The books thing is really getting on my nerves. Especially since DH's brother just gave him a Kindle for his bday. We have about 4 boxes/tubs of books that are just in my way. I wish we had a store where I could just take them and drop them off. I feel like I want to make a little money from them--I hate throwing money away.... The DVD's I can sell on CL. Ive already put up a listing and people have responded... they just want titles-- ugh. 

P.S.-- I am cleaning my stove bc it has some burnt pizza crust on the bottom and holy guacamole it is hot in here now. I vowed to keep the air/heat off all week and it is a good thing it's the perfect day for windows and fans! 

#17 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Great thread! And can I just say, holy cow, I cannot believe some people are on the "less than two months count down"????? Amazing! I'm due June 21st so I'm more like 2.5 months. Anyway, I was nesting so hard core in the first and second trimester I don't think my list is super long?

Okay, pee in a cup for proof of pregnancy.

Buy a hot water bottle.

Get a new bra or two.

And some tank tops/nursing spaghetti strap type shirts.

Sell our house.

Find new house, lol.

See chiro!!!

Figure out some meals to cook and freeze in May. 

Get toddler some summer clothes/shoes.

This babe could use some more clothes but I'd prefer to wait until I know what it is and that will happen when it's born, so .... lol. And we already did all the home projects/tidying up because our place is on the market. Already bought birth supplies and cloth pp pads, etc. I think my list will become huge when we find our new place but who knows when that will be. Pretty likely after the babe is born unfortunately :-(

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#18 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Ugh - I have been ignoring this thread since I saw it pop up the other day... I totally NEED the support and motivation to get everything done but have felt so tired lately that I have been napping during the kid's naptime.  And, seriously, there is not a whole lot I can actually get done while chasing after the little ones.

I am going to sit down now for a while with pen and paper and see what I can come up with and then I will come back to post it.  

And Jenni, studying IS INDEED getting something done!!  It is feeding your brain which will eventually feed your family!  Be proud!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#19 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oy! duh.gif I'm sore now! All that cleaning killed me! But I have good news and bad news....... good news: I made over $325 selling back books on amazon! --- I just did all of our textbooks, maybe I will try all the fiction/random books next and see what happens! Bad news-- half the stuff I tried to dye didn't take :( I really wanted it to work, but I kind of knew it wouldn't... The receiving blankets and such turned out fine, but the bouncy seat cover and tummy time mat didn't even budge. I suppose this little boy will be covered in pink greensad.gif Doesn't really bother me so much about him being in pink--- it's more me feeling like everyone went all out for DD and now that DS is coming he gets all the leftovers. Oh well, it won't matter in like 10 months when he doesn't even want to use them anymore. 

I'm glad that I got a running start on my cleaning and organizing--- but I still have so much to do! But, now I can shop for those last things with my new Amazon moolah joy.gif

OrangeMoon-- Thanks for reminding me about going to the chiro! And we have to put our house on the market too. I think we are going to do it right after the baby pops out.... I need at least a week to recover and then I'm totally going to hire a cleaning lady to come and make sure everything is in order. BTW, did you use a realtor or are you doing it FSBO or with a set price listing agent? 

#20 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, I can triumphantly cross one thing off my list... I got up early this morning and finished knitting the baby hat! Seriously, I am the world's slowest knitter. This is the kind of hat that Ravelry folk say "Great easy pattern, whipped out two of these for my niece while watching CSI: Miami"... and it took me three days. Oh well. I'm still pleased with it, because a) I didn't use a pattern, b) the decreases look nice and swirly because I didn't drop any stitches this time, and c) I managed to get the Magic Loop method working first time, for a change.

Now I should really get started on those overalls again, but I've lost the oomph. Feel like knitting another baby hat instead. No! Bad Smokering!

MaryElizabeth likes this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 178 Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Okay - in no particular order except for the first one:

CLEAN FOR PASSOVER!!! I need to start this now because it takes forever

make pads for mama cloth

finish DD's summer clothes

finish DS's summer clothes

make DD's birthday dress

make 1 maternity dress 

make a couple pairs of comfy elastic waisted summer pants for postpartum

make 1 dress for the postpartum summer parties (both other DC's birthdays)

make a few more newborn diaper covers

make some extra wipes

make something special for the new baby

finish ordering and organizing birth supplies

blow up fishy pool to make sure there are no leaks

And if that all gets done:

make some new fall/winter jammies for me, DD and DS1

I think it is totally doable, especially since DH and I just worked out an agreement that he will be the primary caregiver one day a week and I get to do whatever the heck I want that day!!  I figured since he is not working and I don't have very long before I become a mother of 3 children under the age of 4, the least he could do is give me an entire day once a week to take care of myself and the things I want to get done!  Boo-yah!!

MaryElizabeth likes this.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#22 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Oy! duh.gif I'm sore now! All that cleaning killed me! But I have good news and bad news....... good news: I made over $325 selling back books on amazon! --- I just did all of our textbooks, maybe I will try all the fiction/random books next and see what happens! Bad news-- half the stuff I tried to dye didn't take :( I really wanted it to work, but I kind of knew it wouldn't... The receiving blankets and such turned out fine, but the bouncy seat cover and tummy time mat didn't even budge. I suppose this little boy will be covered in pink greensad.gif Doesn't really bother me so much about him being in pink--- it's more me feeling like everyone went all out for DD and now that DS is coming he gets all the leftovers. Oh well, it won't matter in like 10 months when he doesn't even want to use them anymore. 

I'm glad that I got a running start on my cleaning and organizing--- but I still have so much to do! But, now I can shop for those last things with my new Amazon moolah joy.gif

OrangeMoon-- Thanks for reminding me about going to the chiro! And we have to put our house on the market too. I think we are going to do it right after the baby pops out.... I need at least a week to recover and then I'm totally going to hire a cleaning lady to come and make sure everything is in order. BTW, did you use a realtor or are you doing it FSBO or with a set price listing agent? 

Hey MaryElizabeth! We're using a real estate agent because it's just what everyone does in this neighborhood. My husband really wanted to do FSBO, and I can totally understand why but I think it would make us look really, really weird here, lol. I wish we could sell our place after the babe comes because I'm a home birther, so the idea of possibly not having a home when the babe is born is kind of upsetting to me but I just know I could never pull the place together with two kids, I can hardly do it now with one, lol. We have a cleaning lady coming once a week but I still have to do  soooo much cleaning, argh. So stressful, I cannot cannot cannot wait until it's over. I think some study said the stress level of selling/moving is up there with like a divorce, lol. Good luck!!! Will you guys be selling your place yourselves?

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#23 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

OrangeMoon-- I really wish we could just hire an agent and let them do all the work, BUT I am way too cheap to throw 6% of our $ out of the door. Where we live there is a mix of Realtor listed and FSBO--most people use a "flat fee" listing service or agent. This is probably what we will do. Just pay to have it listed on the MLS system and advertising websites like Zillow and then do a lot of other advertising, like on Craigslist and Facebook. I'm also going to make a website for the home that has a ton of pictures and descriptions so hopefully people will have a good idea of what the house looks like before coming over. We have put so much time and money into this project that watching over $10k go out the door makes me wanna vomit!!!!! Worst case scenario is that we can't negotiate the buyers to pay their own realtor's commission...but I highly doubt that I will let that happen :) 

Also, we have to move in August, so if we haven't sold by then... I will have to hire a Realtor/property manager to finish the process :(

#24 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Realtors aren't all bad - DH has been one for 10 years.  It used to feed our kids...

#25 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Realtors aren't all bad - DH has been one for 10 years.  It used to feed our kids...

I agree they are great! Having one would really take a lot of stress off of me. I just can't part with the money. I do think that more realtors should be flexible with their commission rates. We have found a couple who said they would work with us on their rates, because we have few needs and are willing to do a lot of work ourselves. Especially with the internet, when we bought both of our houses, I did all the legwork and only needed the Realtor for the key and to draw up the papers. <--- I'm a little controlling, so I generally take charge just out of me being me! redface.gif

#26 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM

We never said they were. Or am I missing something ... ?

Quote:

#27 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 PM

Oh, I am just sensitive.  In a matter of 2 years we saw our income literally become nothing because of the real estate climate in this country.  I am pregnant, poor and bitter! Sorry.

#28 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, I am just sensitive.  In a matter of 2 years we saw our income literally become nothing because of the real estate climate in this country.  I am pregnant, poor and bitter! Sorry.

I kind of know where you are coming from... a lot of my friends have already had to switch careers bc of not only the market, but the change in how the whole home buying process works! It just really sucks when your career goes from being promising and profitable to--- nada. hug2.gif hugs to you and hoping that everything will turn brighter for you and your family! :) :)

#29 of 178 Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

ummm... p.s.---> I did like nothing on the list today!! I mopped the downstairs and vacuumed the carpet annnnnnd bought a diaper on diaperswappers.com haha. I also found out that the painter that I hired won't be able to come back for a month. That's right.... a MONTH. Looks like I will be painting the entire upstairs of my house.... mecry.gif

#30 of 178 Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Things still to get/do for Finn William-

-my breast friend pillow

-bedding set

-stroller

-hats

-belly bandit or something of the like

-nursing bra

-nursing tanks/shirts

-dye blankets

-paint dresser

-diaper bag

-batteries for swing

-diaper basket

-pacifiers

-recover rocking chair ottoman

-hang curtains

-fill out baby book

-take maternity pictures

Things to do in the house!-

- finish kitchen cabinets

- paint doors and hardware

- buy/hang curtains in master bedroom

- install new vanity/hardware in guest bath

- install new vanity/hardware in master bath

- redo shower doors

- bleach all tile floors

- paint master bath

- recover pillows in master bedroom

- buy new sheets for master bed

- clean out van!! and wash car seat covers

- reorganize DH's closet

- paint and install new fixtures in 1/2 bath

- buy rug for playroom

- finish landscaping

- sell books

.... and the list overwhelms meduh.gif

Alright--- today I am going to finish "shopping" for all the baby stuff that I need-- aka let it sit in my Amazon cart until my credit comes through for all of these books!---> banana.gif I am going to figure out what exactly is going on with the painter and decide if I can hire another or just start painting it myself! And....that will probably be it. Maybe I'll take a nap thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page