I was given steroids to help lung development b/c of risk of premature labour.... :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After DDTD the other night, I had quite a bit of bleeding and the doctor was worried that it was a ruptured or bleeding placenta and so they prepped my for an emergency "just-in-case" c-section.  With that preparation, they gave me 2 doses of steroids to help the baby develop lungs and reduce chance of stroke (I'm 28 weeks).  After receiving another ultrasound, the risk has decreased and now they don't think anything think was wrong except an abnormally high bleed after DDTD.  The stress of potential pre-mature labour is gone, but now I keep thinking about other negative long-term effects to the baby that they didn't tell me about.... I asked, but they told me there were no negative side effects.  I have trouble believing that.  Does anyone have any information about these steroids??

Thanks.... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

I have no additional information, but I can say that I received the shots in my first pregnancy at 27 weeks due to extended bleeding and PTL.  My 35-week little guy was born absolutely perfect - not one second in the NICU (which is very rare for a baby who is 5 weeks early).  So while I cannot comment on any fetal side effects (I was an L&D nurse and truly don't know what/if there are any) I know that they are very common.

I hope that everything settles down for you and the little one!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM

no advice, just really sorry you have gone through this trauma and are now second guessing the steroid shots...

unrelated, traceymom, is no problems at 35 weeks really that rare?? my 35 weeker had poor sucking reflex and pretty rough jaundice but absolutely zero problems breathing room air right away...I was told it could totally go either way

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM

When I worked at the hospital, I would certainly say that the vast majority of preterm babies ended up in the NICU, if only for a thorough evaluation. I consider myself blessed that we could have our baby with us at all times during our hospital stay. I am grateful he wasn' t whisked away and at 4.9 pounds was completely healthy. It was surprising but wonderful!!!

Sorry for getting ot.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM

yeah...weird, mine was roughly 5.8 but a very long baby..so she was reeeeeally skinny

zero nicu time which I was very relieved about..also, no steroid shots for her

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

this is all I could really find ...maybe the footnote research papers can be scrounged up

or better info found with the specific drug names ya know?

http://www.webmd.com/baby/antenatal-corticosteroids-for-fetal-lung-development

Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback!  It's always a concern when decisions are made without a lot of knowledge and trying to do the best thing in the moment is TOUGH.... especially when you only get the medical perspective.  I guess it comes down to the fact that the baby was given the shots and now I need to get through the rest of this pregnancy and hope for a full-term, healthy bundle.  

Thanks for the support!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 AM

I had them at 32 weeks w/ my twins. They were born at 35 weeks w/ no issues at all.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

DDCC....

The only thing I can think of is to now look for signs of premature labor.  I have a history of going to 40/41 weeks, but due to a maternal medical condition, for my youngest they had to plan a 36 week c-section.  Around 28 weeks, dd had a weird heart rhythm that wouldn't normalize, and so they prepped me for an earlier c-section, including 2 dosages of steroids.  Her heartrate eventually normalized so we went ahead with the 36 week c-section as scheduled.  When I went in for that c-section, I was contracting regularly, at less than 10 minutes apart.  So in essence, someone with a history of post-due-date births was in labor at 36 weeks...the only explanation anyone could give me was that the steroids matured her lungs faster, and then it tricked my body into thinking she was full term.  She was born with apgars of 8/9 (although had a whole host of issues that started about an hour after she was born related to her pre-term birth).

So, who knows if it was just a coincidence...since most people who get steroids have a risk of preterm labor, my case is pretty unique.  But, just be on the lookout for signs of early labor due to lung maturity.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 04-06-2011, 02:27 PM

I've never heard of any negative side effects for the baby from the steroid shots for lungs. Not getting them can be very problematic for baby if he/she is born preterm so it's worth it IMO. The problems that people run into with steroid use are from long-term usage, excessive amounts, or abusing them by taking them without a valid medical condition.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

User Tag List