anyone else having a lot of lower back pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 30 weeks, and man...for the last 2 weeks or so my lower back has really been killing me.  I can't figure out a pattern to it.  It's been hurting since I woke up this morning and I didn't do anything yesterday that would have made it hurt.

I'm not too worried about it being preterm labor or anything since it doesn't seem to come and go in waves...but the fact that it's there for hours and won't go away kind of freaks me out.

How do you tell the difference between normal pregnancy lower back pain and something that might be trying to turn into preterm labor?  I'm not having more BH than is normal I don't think, but this being my third I'm having several a day.

I have a rice sock that I use on my back, and I'm drinking lots of water and taking it easy.  Oh, and the baby is head down already...maybe that has something to do with it?

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 AM

My lower back hurts off and on too. I'm also 30 weeks and baby is head down and it's my second pregnancy. According to my midwife, it's just that our bodies have done this before so we feel ourselves preparing for birth sooner than a first time Mom.

I find that being on my hands and knees, going gentle yoga such as downward dog, really help relieve the pain. I also try not to remain laying down for too long and when I find myself over doing it, I rest and gently stretch.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

#3 of 8 Old 04-16-2011, 11:28 AM

My mid-lower back is absolutely killing me constantly.  I can't do yoga because my acid reflux is so bad that any bending over or being on hands and knees makes the barf-bile situation even worse so I am mostly relying on a heating pad, back rubs from DH and just grinning and bearing it, knowing that it will end once the baby is born.  I wish I could afford chiro care!!

I think that back pain being the only symptom of PTL would be a little unusual - I have the back pain and a ton of braxton hicks all the time and my cervix is high and closed.  My idea is that 3rd babies are just troublemakers!  I have had more discomfort this pregnancy than with both of the others combined! eyesroll.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 8 Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM

My lower back has been bugging me pretty badly for a couple of days now. I usually get this exact same symptom premenstrually, so I am guessing for me at least it is hormonal. The worst is that it interferes with my sleep because I cannot seem to get comfortable for long periods of time, and end up waking often to switch positions and alleviate the stiffness and pressure.

Yesterday I spent most of my day sitting on my birthing ball instead of in other chairs and that seems have helped. Last night I actually didn't wake up other than the pee breaks, so I'm calling it a victory. If you have one, you might want to try it, it takes a lot of the normal pressure off your back.
#5 of 8 Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 AM

I have been seeing the Chiro every two weeks and that has seemed to help with the back pain smile.gif. I do notice that if i sit for long periods that I have issues. I just got a birth ball and I have been stretching every night as well as sitting on it regularly and that helps the days that I am at my desk for most of the day.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#6 of 8 Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM

My lower back has been hurting off and on today. It is pretty uncomfortable but, I find if I get on hands and knees it helps or if DH applies pressure to the areas that is the best. I am due the very beginning of June and I can really feel my body starting to prepare.

#7 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your responses!  Sorry to hear you are all having some lower back pain as well!

LOL about third children being troublemakers...this pregnancy has definitely been tougher on me than the others, I think mostly because I have no choice but to be on my feet constantly and getting my kids in and out of the car.  I don't see how mamas with more do it!  I don't think I would have the strength!

I'll try spending some more time on my birth ball and see if that helps!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM

I have some lower back pain, but mine is mostly hip pain and stiffness. Doing yoga and other stretches helps a ton, as does sitting on the birth ball and doing circles and figure 8s. Walking seems to help too, since the pain and stiffness increase after sitting for long periods of time.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page