Who is still breech? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I had a feeling babe was breech but didn't think much of it being my 6th and never having one be breech before.  Midwife confirmed it though last week with palpitations and only getting heart tones up high.  I knew it though based on still getting kicked in the tush instead of high belly.  Baby was just so high!  I couldn't breath.

So I went to spinning babies, tried to do some of the things it suggested but found most impossible.  The pelvic tilts actually hurt.  It was like everytime I tucked my hips, baby was in a bad position so it would pinch something inside me.  Inversions were out though I tried several times.  I had to do them while barely breathing.  I couldnt breath at all whether I was doing them forwards or backwards. 

However, laying in bed two nights ago, I jsut felt different.  I noticed my stomach felt different.  It was slightly easier to carry around.  baby didn't feel as high, and I almost thought I felt little kicks up top finally though they could have been hands.

Went to the OB today and sure enough, baby did move!!!  AT 35 weeks (subborn thing!) she finally is head down.  Now I am just worried how to get her to stay as she flip-flopped so much from 24 weeks on, transverse in the morning, breech by afternoon, back to transverse, then vertex, quite the mover.

Here is hoping she is getting too big to go back and finds head down to be more comfy and stays!

Anyone else still breech now?  What are you guys trying? 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#2 of 23 Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 AM

I'm transverse.  Have been doing Spinning Babies inversions for just a few days now, sitting on a birth ball more (is that really supposed to help?  I can't find definitively for transverse, and I read one message board thing which said it's worse because if a baby is in a bad position, they get lodged there even more).

Inversions (the couch one) and crawling, actually feel GOOD - stretch out my lower back in a good way, so I'm up for it.  The thing that I am not so good at, even though this is #4, is telling where exactly the baby is.   I don't think she's moved though yet . . .

#3 of 23 Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM

This little guy was breech at 30 weeks and then flipped and actually stayed flipped. He was going between breech, transverse, and vertex on pretty much a daily basis. But kicks are still up high, I can feel his butt right next to my left ribs, and FHTs are down low. I'm hoping he stays this way because my last baby was a c/s for breech.

The only things I've done to try and maintain his position have been sitting on the exercise ball and going to the chiropractor. My MWs said the ball helps because it opens your pelvis more and babies like that I guess.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#4 of 23 Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, now that she decided to go head down, all I have to deal with now is the fact that she will probaby remain posterior until labor or even longer.  My last 3 have been posterior.  First one, turned I believe right before labor began.  Next one, during active labor.  The last was born posterior, 2 hour labor two pushes, one for head, one for shoulders.  No real back labor to speak of.  With my anterior placenta that is right at my belly button its unlikely she will turn away from it.  Oh well, I would rather deal with posterior than breech.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#5 of 23 Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Well, this is my first, I'm 35w and she's breech.

I keep going back and forth between feeling really nervous and not. I'm going for chiro/massage appointments and had my first this past week. It was a little uncomfortable, but ultimately really good. He also used an inversion and some massage that really helped make more space in my pelvis. Hopefully a few more of those treatments will be all it takes.

I'm also doing moxibustion with my husband every night. I went for an initial appointment with an acupuncturist who gave me a box of moxa sticks, but the acupuncture itself weirded me out too much to continue...I HATE NEEDLES! ...although it did really help my sore foot, so maybe if I'm in enough pain sometime I'll go back.

I've also been on the spinning babies website and have tried some inversions at home (off the side of our bed) and am doing cat-cow stretches several times a day. I'm also trying to walk 2+ miles a day. What more can I do? ...oh, AND my backup doctor wants to schedule an external cephalic version if she hasn't turned by this Thursday. HOPEFULLY that won't be necessary because I really really REALLY don't want to go to the hospital, get an IV of uterine contracting drugs and then have them forcefully move her which can sometimes (though very rarely) cause a prolapsed cord or preterm labor greensad.gif

If anyone has any better ideas or advice, let me know!  

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#6 of 23 Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Wow, DD was still turning up until and during labor. This little man is still moving everywhere too... He mostly is transverse and breech... For some reason my babes don't like to be head down haha

It's funny to me that your doc would want to do such drastic things to make the baby move at just 35-36 weeks... I guess since I have such mobile babies... I don't get too concerned what position they are in until say... 40 weeks? haha

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#7 of 23 Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Have been doing Spinning Babies inversions for just a few days now, sitting on a birth ball more (is that really supposed to help?  I can't find definitively for transverse, and I read one message board thing which said it's worse because if a baby is in a bad position, they get lodged there even more).

Completely amateur opinion here, but... I know doing deep squats is a bad idea if your baby is breech or posterior, because it can help the baby engage, and the more engaged the baby is, the harder it is to shift him. With transverse, though, there's no presenting part to get stuck, so I don't see why it would be a problem. Sitting on a birth ball seems like it could be a milder version of deep squats... so I suspect it wouldn't have much effect one way or another on a transverse baby. I guess it might be a good thing to do for strengthening your core, improving your balance etc in preparation for labour; but in terms of turning the baby, inversions would probably be more worthwhile.

Don't take my word on any of that. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 23 Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the advice - smokering, yes, I was thinking the same thing about transverse vs breech, that the birth ball should be okay.  I know my legs/hips have been sore in a GOOD way since I've been on the ball and doing inversions, and my lower back pain has been lessening, so at the very least my body is getting some good stretches in.

I *think* baby has flipped - and a nurse friend today kinda confirmed it, although she didn't want to say for sure . . .  we'll see!

#9 of 23 Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM

I just came back from US #2 and she's still breech at 36w, so our backup doc is asking for an ECV (external cephalic version) early next week. I'm so sad. I know we still have lots of time for her to turn, but I really thought she would have already. I really don't want to have a hospital birth or a c-section. Hopefully the version will work or she'll turn by the time I'm in labor. Apparently first births don't turn as easily as subsequent ones. I hate being so emotional about this. I know I should just be happy that she's doing well and that I'll get to meet her soon, but my pregnancy emotions are really getting to me.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#10 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 AM

sara: Eugh, that's a pain. :( I was a pesky breech baby myself - they got Mum up on the table and had actually administered the uterine relaxant drug (not sure what it's called!), before some bright spark realised I'd turned vertex during the previous night. Let's hope your baby does the same! Maybe with slightly better timing. :p

#11 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 AM

Oh I'm sorry you're having to deal with this :(.  It's super stressful.  My little one was breech until a week ago (I'm 35 weeks now) so keep thinking positive thoughts.  Even beyond the stress, I know how uncomfortable it can be to have baby laying that way.  My persistent upper right quadrant pain (that was stressing me out!) is now gone since baby has flipped.  

I don't know what worked for me but I did spend an awful lot of time sitting on my birth ball and making sure not to recline on the couch and pay attention to my posture at all times.  When baby was active I tried to be on all fours, sticking my bum in the air.  I didn't actually do a breech tilt per say but I just tried to elevate my pelvis as often as I could when baby was moving a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Keep in mind that as much as an EV isn't the best case scenario (it would be better if babe moved on his/her own and you didn't have to go through it), they often have a high success rate.

Wishing you tons of baby flipping luck!!

#12 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

If my babe hadn't turned (or is she turns back, since she has been flipping since 24 weeks) I am seeking a chiropractic adjustment.  I know my pelvis is super out of alignment after 6 pregnancies.  I have all kinds of issues, SPD, hisptry of posterior babies, horrible round ligament pain as I think they are too tight or bunched up or something.  I know a pelvic adjustment would do a world of good.  I may just go anyway to try and avoid all the prodromal labor that is only intensified by a posterior baby since the malposition kept starting and stopping my labor last time (over a week of the hard stuff).  I figure it is worth a try.  I also plan to get a back and pelvic adjustment after this time since this is my last baby.

#13 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Ditto sharita. Even if she flips, I'll continue going for chiro/massage treatments till the end. My body and hips feel amazingly open and ready to deliver since I've done 3 treatments in a row. ...now let's just hope she turns soon! I have an ECV scheduled for Monday. Wish me luck.

#14 of 23 Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 PM

I'll be 34 weeks on Sunday and she is breech.  She has been head down all the time.  I swear she flipped in the ultrasound waiting room this morning.  I was doing some crazy gymnastics in there.  I know there is plenty of time for her to flip back, so fingers crossed.  I'm of the thought that breech is a variation of normal, but with my high bp complication, it just adds to the medical blech. :(

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#15 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Well, we had the version today and it didn't work :-( They were able to lift her hips out of my pelvis and move her head to each side, but then everything just floated back to where it was. They don't know if it's the shape of my uterus, the tightness in my hips or what!

So now we need to make a backup plan in case she hasn't turned by the time I'm in labor. Unfortunately my backup doctor will only do a c-section on breeches (even though frank is the safest and that's what she is), so we need to find another backup doc. I really don't want a c-section if at all possible. Also, spending 3 hours in the hospital today reminded me how much I can't stand needles and being restricted to a bed. ...and crazy as it sounds, the version itself actually got me really excited for labor. I may be a wimp about IV's, but I am totally and completely willing to feel my baby being born.

If anyone has suggestions of breech-willing doctors or midwives in the Los Angeles area, let me know.

#16 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 PM

I was breech until last week. I can only attribute her sudden flip to handstands in the pool. I did hand stands in my pool on Sunday and I could feel her flip that night, it was confirmed on Tues . Now I am just focusing on her staying head down. If any of you have access to a pool or a community pool near your home I would give it a try. DH and my midwife were totally laughing but, hey it worked!!

#17 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara125 View Post

Well, we had the version today and it didn't work :-( They were able to lift her hips out of my pelvis and move her head to each side, but then everything just floated back to where it was. They don't know if it's the shape of my uterus, the tightness in my hips or what!

So now we need to make a backup plan in case she hasn't turned by the time I'm in labor. Unfortunately my backup doctor will only do a c-section on breeches (even though frank is the safest and that's what she is), so we need to find another backup doc. I really don't want a c-section if at all possible. Also, spending 3 hours in the hospital today reminded me how much I can't stand needles and being restricted to a bed. ...and crazy as it sounds, the version itself actually got me really excited for labor. I may be a wimp about IV's, but I am totally and completely willing to feel my baby being born.

If anyone has suggestions of breech-willing doctors or midwives in the Los Angeles area, let me know.

I don't have any suggestions for you as far as a doc in your area. My midwife said she would not do a breech vaginal either. I am in South Orange County and there is a Chiro near me that does the Webster Method. I have not used her but, I heard good things about her. PM me if you want the info, also there is an acupunturist down this way that is also known to be good at flipping babies.

#18 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 PM

It's a shame so few breeches are being done vaginally these days - the fewer get done, the fewer midwives/OBs are experienced at handling that presentation, and the higher-risk and more "out there" a breech baby seems. It's a sucky cycle. :(

Just the other day I read of an article in some very staid medical journal - the Lancet? - about how moxibustion is better than any other kind of turning method for breech babies. Worth a shot?

#19 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara125 View Post

Might be worth posting to the ICAN list or boards...they usually have a pretty good read on who does what and where...Isn't NavelgazingMidwife in SoCal? Maybe she would know someone as well????

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#20 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 AM

I've seen moxibustion work to turn breech babies. They've turned while the accupuncturist was doing the moxi. One of the mamas was a twin mama too and both babies turned!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#21 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks ladies. I've tried all of those things and will continue doing them until labor...flips in the pool, moxibustion, webster method (Dr. Berlin rocks!), acupuncture, etc. I just don't think she's ready to turn.

Meanwhile, I found a doctor nearby that apparently delivers breeches vaginally!...AND only does homebirths! This could be my dream come true. I have a meeting scheduled with him on Monday, so wish me luck. ...now I just hope I don't go into labor too early.

And Smokering, yes, you're right about how sad it is that docs and midwives rarely know anything about breech delivery anymore. I'm reading Ina May's newest book and she echoes the same thing. Apparently a frank breech is just as safe to deliver vaginally, if not more, but insurance companies won't back anyone who does them. So so sad!

#22 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 AM

I was a frank breech birth, born at home with midwives. :)  I needed a little resuscitation, but as you can see I'm doing great nearly 32 years later! I think that every birth attendant needs training in how to properly attend breech births. The unknown is so scary for people so they just won't deal with it. But if you know how to do it then the fear goes away.

Jenni

#23 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Anyone else still breech? I am! While we'll still continue with the moxibustion, massage, chiro, meditation, pool flips and other attempts to turn her, we did find an OB who will deliver her breech in our home...yay! There will be a midwife here as well and he is a great doctor who will have piper forceps available in case of emergency. We met his list of criteria (frank breech, small baby, etc.) and he is very comfortable working with us. He also noticed a possible septum at the top of my uterus in an u/s today, making it heart-shaped, which is probably part of why she's still breech. I feel so lucky and honored to have this opportunity to continue with a home birth. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. The doc will be out of town until Wed night when I'll be 28w, so hopefully I won't go into labor before then eyesroll.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page