MAY we start our countdown?? ***Chat thread for May*** The babes are almost here :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would get this going for our new month joy.gif

flowersforyou.gif May flowers, I am ready!!

Finally some nice weather is here this weekend. I am sure it will be rainy and in the 40s during the week, but I will take a nice day when I can. I have a lot of work to do in our yard that I never got around to last year and it can't be put off anymore. I would like to say we have a lawn, but the truth is that we really have weeks eyesroll.gif

Ww made almost $400 at our garage sale orngbiggrin.gif but more importantly, we got rid of a TON of stuff that has been schlepped from house to house and taking up a ton of room. DH sold all his electronics from the 90's (thank goodness) and we got rid of a lot of misc kitchen stuff that has been sitting in boxes for years. It feels so good to be lighter!

How is everyone's weekend?

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#2 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 AM

Yeah for profitable garage sale smile.gif
We have had a wonderful and busy weekend so far... We started it out at the Fairie Festival on Friday, Saturday we moved my brother and his wife into their first house, then planted our little garden and painted our front porch, and today we are heading back to the Fairie Festival for another beautiful day! joy.gif.

I am tired and a little sore but it has been worth it lol.gif.

I can't believe that it is MAY! We are quickly moving into GO TIME! lol.gif Midwife appointment went well yesterday and she stated that the baby is about 6lbs and engaged in the pelvis! Here's hoping everyone else is having a great weekend as well.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#3 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Wheee, it's May! Some of us will be full-term in what, 9 or 10 days? I'm sure babies will start arriving soon.  love.gif

It's been snowing all week here. Ridiculous!

Tracy - that's fantastic news about the garage sale. $400 for getting rid old clutter = awesome!

I've been so, so itchy the last couple of days. I think I'm going to ask my midwife to let me do another bile acids/liver function test, just to be on the safe side. Even prescription anti-itching meds don't do anything. I've scratched so much that I'm bleeding. Thankfully I have an appt tomorrow.

ETA: Oh yes, my weekend. Didn't do anything exciting yesterday. I'm going to my friend/neighbour's birthday party this afternoon. It's kid-free which means I won't be able to stay too long. Which reminds me, I promised I'd bake some muffins for her. I'd better get on that!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#4 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 AM

I bet we'll have some babies this month! I bet mine will be one of them.

This weekend the weather is seriously crappy here. It's getting old, where is spring?

Glad to hear your garage sale went well, tracymom. Are you feeling better?

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#5 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Ww made almost $400 at our garage sale orngbiggrin.gif but more importantly, we got rid of a TON of stuff that has been schlepped from house to house and taking up a ton of room. DH sold all his electronics from the 90's (thank goodness) and we got rid of a lot of misc kitchen stuff that has been sitting in boxes for years. It feels so good to be lighter!

Nice!  I love having garage sales, it's so cathartic to look around and see all the empty space where the junk used to be (plus the cash you made winky.gif). 

Until last night I was having a great weekend!  We're in our hometown visiting friends and family, so Friday we spent all afternoon with a couple of best buds, and then yesterday my mom threw me a surprise family shower!  It was huge, my family is not small.  But then I twisted my ankle, and now I'm hobbling around like an old woman.  Good job, me!  greensad.gif 

Interestingly, though, I wore heels for a bit yesterday and my lower back pain is gone.  I'd been having a lot of pain at what felt like my left SI joint (it definitely wasn't muscular), and it would get SO MUCH worse any time I walked around for more than 20 mins or so (Friday we went to a craft fair, so Saturday morning it was hard for me to walk upright).  Since I was up and walking around a lot yesterday, too, I can only guess that the heels shifted my posture enough to change the alignment in my pelvis just a bit and give me some relief.  Score one for vanity and long pants! 

#6 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Yay for May! This is one of our busiest months, and it's always that way. Throw in a baby that may come at the very end of the month and it gets even busier! One of my friends and her husband will be in town for the next week, which is so exciting! I haven't seen her since we moved away from Oregon 4 years ago. We also have Mother's Day, my 32nd birthday, my week of training to renew my Child Passenger Safety Technician certification that lapsed, DS's spring band concert, my finals, and of course our baseball and softball schedules.

Yesterday we went to a friend's daughter's 5th birthday party and that was it. I didn't make it to the birth fair thing because I got sucked into a book series that I actually bought for my kids and then hijacked before they could start reading it. Oops! But it was a good day and nice to do nothing. The kids played with their friends down the street for a while so they had fun too.

Today started out with a giant thunderstorm with hail and monsoon rain. I'm thrilled about the rain, I'm just hoping that the hail didn't damage any of our plants, especially the 2 little mimosa trees that we just transplanted. As for the rest of today, it will be more reading, cleaning up the house some, taking care of random chores, and I'll probably throw some studying in for my final on Tuesday.

Tracy that is great news about your garage sale! That's a ton of money and it always feels sooooo good to get rid of old stuff and declutter.

I'll be 34w on Wednesday, which means that I am technically full term on the 18th. We could have a baby this month, but I'd prefer that he wait until at least June 1st at least when I hit the 38w mark.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#7 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Nikie, I can't even imagine wearing heels at this point! Glad they helped, though.

I would love to have a garage sale, but it seems like soooo much effort at this point. I'm having enough trouble getting people to help get my garden bed ready. I'm having a really hard time not being able to so some things for myself. Everything gets done so much faster when I just do it. :P

Had a great weekend here. My parenting group had a craft fair/fundraiser yesterday and I volunteered at that all day with the babywearing outreach/education I do. It was really nice and fulfilling. I got some bows (!) for baby and bought a "girl basket" and post partum doula services in the silent auction. I'm excited about those. I'm not even sure what I'll have her do, but it will be nice to have someone to do things. DH will take off perhaps a week, but he really doesn't know how to do anything in our house. One of my goals this month needs to be teaching him how to use the washer so he can do some diaper laundry. I need to go post in the to dos thread. I feel like I have a decent sized list now that I think about it.

I'm plodding along knitting for baby. I got her handpainted shirt for her coming home outfit in yesterday's mail. Squee! I really love it. I blogged about it http://nachomamasknits.wordpress.com/  I dropped off a couple of custom knits to people yesterday and got a few more orders, so that is pretty exciting.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#8 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM

One of my friends is in labor! Yay! She's in Chicago so I can't be there, but she's updating on FB every so often. I seriously love technology.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#9 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM

$400 wow Tracy! We are getting a big pile of snow, ugh! Have a birthday party to go to in a bit. It was supposed to be at a park, not now. May is here, I am so happy. I kind of think baby will arrive the end of May. I only wear heels to Mass, other sandals, but today snow boots.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#10 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I know - $400 is way more than I thought we would pull in for sure!! I was totally shocked and thankful that DH made me do it! I am feeling much better - both kids are sick now, though, but at least I am well enough to take care of them.

Jenni, where is your friend delivering? Is she at home or at a hospital? I am in Chicago and just curious!

Bald Bull's Mama, I am totally impressed at your knitting and super cute painted shirt love.gif I can't wait to start on some baby things this week!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#11 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Tracy, she had a homebirth! I don't know any of the details yet, other than the baby is born. I don't even know if it's a boy or girl baby!

The only shoes I wear anymore are flip flops. I had to wear tennis shoes for my clinical days and that was like torture. I'll be wearing my sequined flip flops to my friend's wedding later this month. The thought of wearing heels makes me slightly nauseous. lol

Jenni

#12 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Congrats on the yard sale! ...and crazy about the heels! ...I absolutely cannot imagine putting even a low wedge on my foot at this point.

So I was driving to baby shower #1 yesterday (I had my family one yesterday and will have one with friends next weekend) and I was getting REALLY nervous. I think it's because it all seems so close now! The baby showers always seemed so far away, and now that they're here, it means she's almost here too! CRAZY!!!

I know I'd be nervous anyway, but her being breech at 35w is really concerning me. I keep watching all these birth videos and getting the apartment ready and I want a homebirth SOOOOOO badly! At this point I feel like I'd fight anyone who even suggests going to the hospital. ...no offense to those of you going to a hospital, I'm just a little emotional right now and really want to be given the opportunity to have her at home. ...not to mention it's 80 degrees in our living room right now because summer seems to have come very early this year. I come from a family of worriers and it's really tough to turn off that part of my brain until she turns...so hopefully that will be soon. Other than that, I CAN'T WAIT!!! biggrinbounce.gif

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#13 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM

My official due date isn't until June 21. I'd much prefer my little girl stay packed away until at least June 1, so I can finish my last rotation and not have any snags with graduating. If she stays put through June 11, I can even GO to graduation, but if I don't make it it's not the end of the world.

So much stuff to do before she gets here! There is to be a shower at some point. My friend is planning it. So that should hopefully yield some baby stuff (don't have a lot yet), and then we can start filling in gaps. Someone at church gave me an almost-new playpen today, which was very nice of him.

#14 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Wheee, it's May! Some of us will be full-term in what, 9 or 10 days? I'm sure babies will start arriving soon.  love.gif

It's been snowing all week here. Ridiculous!

Tracy - that's fantastic news about the garage sale. $400 for getting rid old clutter = awesome!

I've been so, so itchy the last couple of days. I think I'm going to ask my midwife to let me do another bile acids/liver function test, just to be on the safe side. Even prescription anti-itching meds don't do anything. I've scratched so much that I'm bleeding. Thankfully I have an appt tomorrow.

ETA: Oh yes, my weekend. Didn't do anything exciting yesterday. I'm going to my friend/neighbour's birthday party this afternoon. It's kid-free which means I won't be able to stay too long. Which reminds me, I promised I'd bake some muffins for her. I'd better get on that!

Sounds like someone has PUPP! Pretty much the worst thing that has ever happened to me and the only thing I prayed wouldn't happen this pregnancy!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#15 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Sounds like someone has PUPP! Pretty much the worst thing that has ever happened to me and the only thing I prayed wouldn't happen this pregnancy!

I don't think it's that - I've been like this for weeks without even a hint of a rash. I'm thinking cholestasis, though it's probably just some hormonal weirdness. I hope you don't get PUPPS this time!

I've been having random belly pains on & off all day. They're completely irregular and far apart, but it's starting to freak me out a little. I have no idea whether they're early contractions or just gas pains. It's nearly midnight, so I think I'm just going to go to bed. I'm sure I'll wake up if it gets any worse. winky.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#16 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The most exciting thing I have to report is that I found some Grade B maple syrup in my local grocery store! It's darker and more strongly-flavoured than the regular stuff. It came in a bottle of nearly a litre for $48.50... I nearly didn't buy it, but then figured it wasn't actually any more expensive, volume-for-volume, than my regular maple syrup. So I splurged. And then last night I was feeling depressed, so I cheered myself up by making a batch of homemade maple walnut ice cream. Good heavens, that stuff is delicious! I had a bowl for breakfast. :) And because DH and Flatmate are still on Atkins, I can eat it all myself.

I realised today that the baby could come this month, and it's making me nervy. I'd rather go slightly early than late (my EDD is June 9; my birthday's June 17, and I'd really rather not give birth on or near my birthday!). My productivity has tanked of recent days due to depression, so I'm not exactly plowing through my to-do list. :(

This should be a good week, though. I'm going to take DD on a playdate with a pregnant friend of mine one morning this week; Bible study starts up again on Thursday (and I can hopefully reclaim the Ottobres I lent another mother!); MW appointment on, um, Wednesday?... and then on Saturday I'm having my baby shower. It'll be my first baby shower and I'm moderately excited about it, even though I had to be very firm with Mother on not having games. I loathe baby shower games. (Mum was all "But what will people DO?" and I said "Er, eat and talk to each other, like at any other social gathering?" Strange person, my mother.) I'm making the cake - my choice, I'm into fancy cakes at the moment - and maybe some fancy piped sugar cookies as well. Then on the Sunday, I might be hosting a Mother's Day gathering for MIL, SIL, DH's grandmother, and the various husbands and chillun attached to them. I'm not sure how I feel about that. :p I could make a nice layered carrot cake... MIL loves carrot cake.

Had really strong BH yesterday. I was getting them fairly regularly a few months ago, and then for some reason they stopped. But yesterday I had 'em for hours! Weird, no? I wasn't even exercising or anything. And the baby was tossing and turning all day... which kind of annoys me, because he was vertex and anterior at my last two appointments, and I'd appreciate it if he stayed that way!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#17 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

$400 wow Tracy! We are getting a big pile of snow, ugh! Have a birthday party to go to in a bit. It was supposed to be at a park, not now. May is here, I am so happy. I kind of think baby will arrive the end of May. I only wear heels to Mass, other sandals, but today snow boots.

i'm also thinking end of may for our little one. love.gif so exciting!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#18 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Happy May!!!
I am so glad it is May but, freaking out a bit that baby will be here in a few short weeks! I think baby might come at the end of this month but, I will see if she holds out until June. I have an earlier June due date so it is possible. I think I need to start cleaning up the house, organizing and washing baby cloths. Maybe next week. This week is a bit busy, dd is in a talent show at school. She is doing a mime act and I am doing her makeup. Should be really cute!

tracymom- Great job on your garage sale! I have been shopping all the garage sales and finding some great stuff we needed. It seems like there has been a different neighborhood garage sale in my area every weekend in April.

Jenni- Happy upcoming Bday!

Nickie- Major props for the heals. I can hardly waddle about in my flip flops.

erigeron- Congrats on your upcoming graduation!! I just finished classes and I am happy to be done until August. However, I have to take the dreaded CSET (CA teachers exam) next weekend and I am hoping my pregnancy brain won't mess it up. I plan to study like mad this week and at least pass one of the sections at this time around. 

I think baby has moved and is not toally breech anymore. It was hot today so we went swimming. I tried some handstands in the pool which is something I checked out on spinningbabies. Hoping it helped. I don't know if it is my anterior placenta or what but, I can never figure out how the baby is laying for sure. I feel around and its like okay that is either her butt or head.

Lets see....I have 5 weeks till EDD...what about everyone else?

#19 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Dh is thinking the same thing, his bday is June 11th. One of my dearest friends gave birth to her son last year on her bday. Everyone kept telling her how lucky she was and she was like no way, I get one day a year that is mine and now I don't even have that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I realised today that the baby could come this month, and it's making me nervy. I'd rather go slightly early than late (my EDD is June 9; my birthday's June 17, and I'd really rather not give birth on or near my birthday!).

#20 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

mad4mady: Exactly! DH's birthday is the day before his sister's, and DD was born a few days before (the days are the 17th, 21st and 22nd). He doesn't even care much about birthdays, but it's just ANNOYING! I have to think of gifts for three people in quick succession, and I always feel DH gets shortchanged because the excitement over DD's birthdays (three so far) tend to overshadow his...

It's like people talking about a Christmas baby being "the best Christmas present ever". A, going into labour would not be my ideal way to spend any day of the year, and B, that's a LIFETIME of annoyance and holiday compromising right there. My immediate family has three December birthdays - the 12th, 20th and 30th - and that's bad enough, but being born on Christmas Day? Having to split the day up into "Christmas" and "birthday" halves, or have a fake birthday a week or two out, and your child's friends all being too busy to come to parties, and so on and so forth? Nooooo thank you. I think if I had a baby early or late on Christmas Day I'd try to bribe the midwife into falsifying the birth certificate, so it could be Christmas Eve or Boxing Day at least. :p

Well, it's nearly 6PM and I have done NOTHING useful today, unless you count a Spanish lesson which I couldn't avoid. :p Bad Smokering! I'm gonna go do stuff now. Maybe bake a cake to take to tomorrow's playdate.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 157 Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM

i'll be full term in like 4 days. yikes!!! there's only a few things left to get on the homebirth front, like pads and the birth pool (the midwives are looking after that though) and...i have to fix some cloth diapers and pick up some others. oh man. this lady on freecycle is giving us 24 BUMGENIUS that have only been worn for 8 months...isn't that insane?! i am so excited!!!!!! we should be good on cloth now, we'll have 32 BGs and 6 fuzzibunz i think and about 10 other ones...that seems like enough i hope. at least for now. we've never fully done cloth before so i'm a bit nervous but it can't be that bad...right? especially in the summer, lots of air drying outside. should be a good time. that being said...i am still in shock that our baby is due in like 3.5 weeks...and the midwives don't think i'll make it to 40 weeks. man...i could be holding a baby this month?! crazy.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#22 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM

Every single day I wear down just a little bit more....I really don't know how I will be able to function in 6 or 7 weeks.greensad.gif

DS has decided to flip a whole bunch lately too. My midwife isn't worried because he keeps flipping so she thinks he'll go head-down when he needs to....but it's PAINFUL and annoying.

I also have a yeast infection I'm working on getting rid of. Whee.
#23 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 AM

Ugh, I'm sorry, SpiderMum.  If it helps any, I've had up weeks and down weeks, and my pregnancy doesn't seem to be taking me in a direct downward direction.  I hope the babe settles and the infection goes away fast!

Yesterday, I had awful back pain and I am pretty sure the baby was OP.  Today, I've had belly button pain and I can feel the baby's spine again.  I am not entirely sure what is worse, :)

We had a bunch of people over on Saturday evening--the first people invited over to our new house.  I was sore and tired at the end of the day, but at least my bathrooms were cleaned, my kitchen mopped, and most rooms reasonably straightened.  It felt good to go to bed after all that.

My goals this week are to get DD's room ready and wash and organize baby things.  Today we were prepared to go to the mattress store and pay $260 for a mattress set and frame, but on our way to church, we saw a practically new mattress being sold in someone's yard for $80.  Then the free bunk bed my parents were handing down to us turned out to be really pretty and didn't even need us to go buy the frame or box springs.  Yay!  I hope to paint her dresser, wrap and set up her mattress, paint picture frames and hang pictures, and put her things away.  I'll be on the lookout for cute sheets, a good curtain option, and maybe some cute knobs for her dresser.  She was so cute tonight wanting to sleep on her new mattress, but we don't even have sheets, so we'll see what we can come up with by tomorrow!

On the baby things front, I was so disappointed to find that the sweet white bassinet that I used for DD (and sewed a natural fiber mattress for) has been ravaged by squirrels in my parents' shed!  So frustrating!  I will see what I can do to repair it; it seems to be mostly the outer lace that was attacked, but still, I feel like I don't have time for this!  I did buy an arms reach co-sleeper, but I am getting nervous about it because the vinyl covered mattress for it includes the supporting board to make the whole bed work.  I don't like the thought of putting my baby to sleep on vinyl, but the wraps for it are $41 (not sure if shipping is included) and the organic replacement mattresses are $120 (plus shipping to Alaska is atrocious!). I could make a mattress out of cotton batting, like I did for the bassinet, but I don't know if it would be supportive enough.  Anyway, I KNOW I'm over analyzing this, but who knows how much it matters?  Anyway, it will be fun to wash and fold the baby things and I have a little dream of setting up a little girl and a little boy's layette (sleeper, hat, blanket, socks, etc.) for our little one right after the birth. :)

Anyway, I should go to bed.  Five weeks to EDD and three until I'm safe to home birth (theoretically).  I'm just praying that when this baby is ready, I will be too!  Hope everyone feels good and stays productive!  And Smokering, I wish I could share one of those yummy cakes you're making this week!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#24 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 AM

I'm not sure if I'm excited or terrified that May's here already.  We still have SO much to do, and I'm so dang TIRED.  I'll be "term" in 8 days, but have been in denial the entire pregnancy since both girls came at roughly 41 weeks.  And then I have a day like Saturday, where a simple trip to the grocery store takes 2 hours because I'm contracting so badly that I have to keep stopping, sitting down, leaning over the cart, and breathing through them and I'm not sure I'm going to even make it to 40 weeks, let alone go past the EDD this time.

This weekend was definitely busy!  Tracymom, I'm SUPER impressed with your yard-sale!  I've had stuff set aside for months & months with the plan that I'd do one ... sometime.  This weekend I snapped.  I made up an itemized list for tax purposes and carted bags & boxes of stuff to Good Will on Saturday.  I have more in the car today, and expect that there will still be more to come.  We just don't have room in the house to store anymore crap that we're not using, or planning to use in the very near future.  Sure could have used the extra cash, though.  :/  I'm hoping that, if we keep LOTS of receipts for donations, work expenses, medical stuff, etc., that it'll all add up come tax-time next year.

I decided I'd try to stock the freezer with some baked goods this weekend, to help out in the just-after-birth days.  I made a triple-batch of whole-wheat biscuits, half of which didn't last the weekend.  The other half is hanging out in the freezer, ready for baking.  I've never tried freezing this recipe, so some time this week I'll pull a few out and test them.  I also made a double-batch of ww pumpkin-choc chip muffins, half of which lasted until last night.  I pulled the rest out this morning, thinking that they'd at least be breakfast for the kids for the week, but they BEGGED me to let them take the whole batch to daycare to share, and I relented.  I'll be baking more muffins tonight.  Lastly, I tried a new recipe for sandwich bread, which never actually rose like it was supposed to.  :(  It still tasted good, but definitely NOT for sandwiches,  So after spending the morning trying the new recipe I spent the evening baking a 4-loaf batch of my stand-by bread.  Out of those 4 loaves, 1 MIGHT make it to the weekend.

Stocking my freezer is HARD!  I'm gonna have to make bigger batches of ... everything.  dizzy.gif

OH!  High heels!  I tried so hard to wear my cute platform sandals to my friends' wedding last weekend.  DH and our girls were both in the wedding, so we got there 2 hours before the ceremony was supposed to start (it started 1-1/2 hours LATE).  I was in flip-flops before the 1st hour passed.  I live in them now, and just don't care anymore.  :P

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#25 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Josie, I am with you on the vinyl. I am going to cover the pad with another pad I made out of organic hemp batting. I can't afford the organic mattress pad for it, so this seems like the next best thing.

Smokering, I wish I could come to your playdates! Homemade cake sounds divine right about now eat.gif

Ryleeee, that is an AWESOME freecycle find!! I am sure you will be totally set - it sounds like you will have a LOT of diapers!! You will be able to get away with washing every few days - nice!!!

heathenmom, I have been trying to motivate myself to get my freezer stocked. I wish I had the energy and forethought to actually get it done. Maybe you have inspired me into action!

So let me ask you guys about this - I am thinking about sending out an email to friends and family asking for help when the baby comes. I know a lot of people who would probably be able to help out, but might not necessarily feel comfortable contacting me right after I have given birth. I am feeling like I need to reach out this time because I am a little scared about how overwhelmed I might be. Would you feel weird about receiving an email asking for food, company or what-not?

#26 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 05:55 AM

I'd be totally okay GETTING (and responding to!) an email like that, but I'd feel weird sending one out.  But I'm way-too-independent-for-my-own-good like that.  bag.gif  I'm very lucky that I have family and friends who know me well enough not to wait until I ask; they just do stuff.  LOL

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#27 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

So let me ask you guys about this - I am thinking about sending out an email to friends and family asking for help when the baby comes. I know a lot of people who would probably be able to help out, but might not necessarily feel comfortable contacting me right after I have given birth. I am feeling like I need to reach out this time because I am a little scared about how overwhelmed I might be. Would you feel weird about receiving an email asking for food, company or what-not?

you could set up an online schedule like the one from http://takethemameal.com/. you could also include in your introduction letter that you would also appreciate company, help around the house, whatever, from anyone who wants to stop by.

i would not at all feel weird about receiving such an email. i think it is awesome that you want to ask for what you need. many people are not able to do that. and it helps people who want to help, to know what to do, how to behave when they drop off a meal, etc.

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#28 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Definitely feeling the strain...headaches and cramping and all around yucky feeling. Waiting impatiently for the mail to get here. I'm ready for this pregnancy to be over. It's officially that point. It is very apparent for me that my body can not handle anymore babies. I'm content with this.

The restlessness is what gets me the most. I remember feeling like this when I went into labor with my daughter, and that coupled with my multiple dreams of going early, turn me into a mess.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#29 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I realised today that the baby could come this month, and it's making me nervy. I'd rather go slightly early than late (my EDD is June 9; my birthday's June 17, and I'd really rather not give birth on or near my birthday!). My productivity has tanked of recent days due to depression, so I'm not exactly plowing through my to-do list. :(

I really don't want baby arriving in June actually. MIL's birthday, that passed away last June, is the 7th. She died on the 10th and I definitely don't want that day. Dh's family think that would be great, but the only time I speak w/ them is if we are there, they never call, FIL never calls us. My mom's birthday is the 9th as well. She is not close to me, she has chosen that over the years, into my brothers instead and she would be all excited about baby being born on "her" day. Quite selfish of me, but I am thinking of willing baby out, LOL. 

My productivity is pretty much nothing. I sit and direct. I can barely walk. Baby is very low and I can feel the head just inside. I don't recall baby being so low at 33 1/2 previously, this seems sooner. 

The snow is still lingering and it is cold. Just going to to sit by the fire today.

Oh, dh's jury duty request for postponement was denied, so now that starts May 18th. I am so annoyed and frustrated about it. I hate stuff hanging over me and not knowing how it will play out.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#30 of 157 Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM

We are using a bassinet for several months in our room. It has a vinyl mattress as well. I don't like vinyl either, but baby sleeps on a sheepskin over that so I feel ok w/ it. I definitely cannot afford an organic mattress. That is my biggest purchase left, two sheepskins, otherwise just a few birth odds and ends.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page