anyone else hate infant gowns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love the idea of it since they are suppose to make middle of the night diaper changes easier, allow baby's legs to be together and touch, no snaps or zippers, and just cute all around.  However, no matter how many times I try them with each new baby I get the same thing.  They ride up to baby's waist and everything below is exposed so its basically just a t shirt on them with a lof of excess in the middle.

All mine have had the elastic bunched trim at bottom and a few were just long with nothing at the bottom to gather them they just fell.  I have come across some older ones where you can pull the string at the bottom to gather it closed all the way like a sack but I don't like the idea of string having from baby's clothes.  Just seems unsafe. I had one that looked promising as it was gathered so snug by elastic at the bottom that it was all the way closed and you had to pull it open but the minute baby's leg or foot slipped through, it rode up too and was just sitting again on their belly. 

In winter with one of my kids I actually used one of those wearable blankets that zipped all the way down.  She only co-slept part time though.  Crib was right by ours, I mostly would pull her out of hers to me to breastfeed then move her back when she was done, or next time I woke. 

I wont be doing that this time probably. Didn't work for last baby, he needed to be by me all the time and would sense if he wasn't.  So, planning to exclusively co-sleep means the sleeping bag is too hot.  I dont know of a solution really except not to use gowns.  My babies are so long their feet always slip through and after that you can't avoid the ride up. 

Maybe if they velcroed closed at the bottom or just one snap in the middle (which I would add myself...hmmmm... Wheels turning as I am typing....)

I can't be the only one who has this problem with the gowns.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 AM

Hmmm. Ive always used gowns for babies and really never had a problems at all.

My mom  very thoughtfully added a row of simple snaps at the bottoms of all of the older ones that had the drawstring b/c she was worried about tangling, but in the middle of the night I never snapped them- I always just kind of tucked the extra length at the bottom under babys behind and it held fine.

Maybe a zipper at the bottom would world for you too, although a snap or two would be easier to add..

#3 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 AM

I like the gowns for the first month or 2, but my babies were very short (less than 18 inches) so I didn't have the ride-up problem. I could hardly find their little legs in there!! And at that age, they don't move around much anyways. I do enjoy a sleep sack for when they are a little older. I would have never thought of using one, but we got some as gifts when my 1st was born and they did come in handy.

I think, though, that if you are co-sleeping and it's summer, maybe a light zip-up sleep-n-play would be just fine - or even just a onsie and the little pants that have footies built in.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM

I love the gowns! I never had issues with them riding up like that, maybe because my babies tend to be shorties, but if I had I would probably not like them all that much. I think that adding a snap or two at the bottom would probably fix the riding up issue and still give you the ease of access from a gown. I'm not a fan of having the drawstring either, strings on baby clothes seem dangerous to me.

If the gowns ride up on this baby I'll be adding a couple of little snaps. I wouldn't do velcro, just because it's so loud and it might startle baby and that's not ideal either.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM

I hate the gowns or at least the ones now w/ elastic, same ride up issues, bunched up. I am old enough to have had babies when the gowns had a drawstring at the bottom. Of course now they don't for the potential choking hazard. Mine just sleep in jammies w/ feet, cotton ones for summer.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#6 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM

They are making muslin sleep sacks now. That would probably work for summer. I have a billion gowns. I like them until they get too tall which is fast in my case.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#7 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM

OP, do you cloth diaper? Because the gowns we use stay down because of the bulk of the cover.  It makes it hard for the elastic to ride up.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#8 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Personally I love 'em.  When I'm changing the baby I pull the elastic up and over the babies arms to give just enough pressure for them to feel secure, so that they don't do that "baby spasm" thing.  (not sure if that makes sense. smile.gif)

homeschooling, husband pleasing, mama to 3 boys and another little love on the way!chicken3.gif
#9 of 9 Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 PM

I don't hate them, per se.  They do annoy me at times.  We use wool babylegs underneath to keep little legs from getting chilly and hanging out and sleepsacks that zip up from the bottom.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page