Mothering Forum banner

hi new here and a little worried

612 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  littleteapot 
#1 ·
hi this is my 5th pregnancy so i have done this stuff before but the doctors have told me i have low amniotic fluid never happened before with my first 4 and today i noticed when i go to the restroom i am leaking something so i took a clear bowl to see what i was leaking it is clear but slightly cloudy and has no smell and is watery but it only happens when i go to the restroom but it is not urine and usually my discharge has a scent and not clear should i be worried i am 35 weeks and 4 days pregnant and i went to the doctor earlier because it happened yesterday too but i coughed and nothing came out it only comes out when i stand or use the restroom is this normal

#2 ·
If you are worried it may be your water, you could always go to L&D for a quick check and they can test it and see if its amniotic fluid or just increased vaginal discharge, which I have noticed at the late stages of pregnancy can sometimes be really watery. However, not sure I could catch enough in a bowl though, lol.

Id sugggest laying down for a while, then standing (no pad or anything) and seeing if you have a little trickle. If it is your water and just a small leak, it may not be enough to notice but laying down would allow it to pool so that when getting up, you would notice.

My issue is urine leakage. I will pee and pee, wipe thoroughly, get up then have a little leak as if I didnt empty all the way. I think I have a little kink or something that doesn't allow it to empty all the way in sittting position. I think its because also my bladder is stressed already and with baby being this big and low now it may be adding to the pressure.

Well, it's definitely one of the three, watery discharge, urine, or amniotic fluid. Only a couple ways to know for sure. Labor will either start soon if its fluid (or it could reseal if its just an outter hind leak) or you could go into L&D and they can find out for ya.

#3 ·
i do have a trickle when i stand and yesterday night it happened again but this time a little more than a trickle it was kinda like turning on a faucet for 1 second then turning it off and this time it had like slimy goo stuff too sorry too much info if i did go in to labor now what are the chances of my baby being sick and too small and how long would he have to stay in the hospital

#4 ·
I am not an expert, but I would say since at 37 weeks, you are legal for a home birth, that at nearly 36 weeks, you really shouldn't stress too much. I would prefer not to go a month early too. They (doctors/midwives/hospitals) do have strips that you can use to test the liquid, and if it IS amniotic fluid, you will know. That might be a good idea just so you and your practitioner can plan what course of action is best. They may want to give you a steroid shot so your baby's lungs will be developed if you have to deliver early.

But I have heard of babies born at 35 and 36 weeks with no complications who stayed with their mothers and never had a problem. Some babies just "cook" faster!

#5 ·
Even though I got a pretty big trickle after lots of leaking I was still in denial until I saw the vernix from the water floating in the toilet. Id say if you have a little gush in the toilet and see the white flecks of vernix, its a sure thing.

#7 ·
Smell is a good way to distinguish it. :) Keep fingers and penises and toys out of there until you're sure one way or the other. A simple swab (no cervical exam necessary!) will tell you if it's amniotic fluid or not, you can also use PH strips if you have them at home. If it's your water you'll probably continue having small gushes and leaks ALONG WITH certain movements and/or with contractions. If it's pee you either won't get it anymore, or it'll seem more random when it dribbles out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.