That's it, I'm done! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just a rant to some other moms!

I've done this three times, including once with a 10lb baby, and have NEVER been this physically uncomfortable! I have spinal fusions from a rheumatic autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis that have left me disabled and have become significantly worse during this pregnancy, particularly since baby dropped. The pain is really, really bad and I've had to up my daily meds twice (yes, they are safe) and still I'm immobile and in bed at least 6+ hours every day!! I feel like such a lazy butt. :(

Where an able-bodied woman's spine would (and does) sway forward to carry the weight, mine physically can't due to spinal fusions caused by an overgrowth of bone and inflammation, so instead I feel this crazy amount of pain and pressure in my spine, back and pelvis. I walk with a cane about 80% of the time right now, and when this pregnancy started it was about 10%! I try to get out and exercise on a daily basis, or at least every two days, but now it's impossible. Since baby dropped I've been sooooo uncomfortable, and my irritable uterus started up the last week or so (for those unfamiliar, IU is essentially early labour-like contractions without labour, every day, sometimes all day) so I've started getting these "Spinal contractions" where the muscles pull on my spine as my uterus tightens up. Ouch.

I've been keeping an eye on my cervix and and it's been about 2cm dilated and halfway effaced for ages. That's not too uncommon for me, but what's really getting me is that following a LOT of unusual cervical pain, pressure and loss of mucous plug my baby is now engaged and at about 0 to +1 station (see here for a reference to that!) and my cervix is wide enough to easily put 3 fingers in and stretch about.  I'm on baby NUMBER FOUR so being this engaged this early is insane already!! Generally, second timers and more don't engage until birth is imminent, and I'm certainly not imminent!
Anyway, my whole point of this big whine-fest is that it now hurts so bad to walk right now that I can't go anywhere. Today my family and I walked to the library, which we normally do 1-2 times a week, and the pain was so bad I actually started fainting and throwing up. Every step I take has baby putting this weird pressure on my cervix, and it is SO stretchy that I literally feel her head pushing into my birth canal as though my cervix is like some sort of trampoline. It sort of feels like wearing Ben-Wa balls that weigh 7lbs. So every step down is like that electrical shock cervix pain, plus this crazy pressure and "full" feeling in my vagina. I tried to check myself again this afternoon and found her resting right on my pelvic girdle so hard I can't find space between my bone and her head. She's literally about 2.5 inches up and DAMN does this ever hurt! Even with a cane and my husband's constant physical support, I could barely make it to our library and back (about a 10-15 minute walk). When I got home I sat on a hot water bottle and napped for two hours to try and recover. How is it that my FOURTH time around is like this?!! I've carried 10lbers without this much trouble!

I'm feeling so discouraged right now knowing that I have weeks of this pain ahead of me. :( It's so important for me to be active all the time and now even with the cane it's really, really hard to get up and walk around. I have the usage of a mobility cart if I need it, but that sort of defeats the purpose of being active, doesn't it?

(for the record, no I would never ever choose to induce or apply "natural induction methods" or "encouragement". If she's in there today, there's a good reason for that and I do not want to put my body or my baby at additional risk for something as selfish as pain reduction so please don't suggest that!).

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#2 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 06:22 AM

I can't even begin to imagine what that back pain must feel like. Mine is bad enough, and it's just a little worse than typical back pain due to an MVA several years ago. I have no suggestions for you, just sympathy. This is my 4th pregnancy as well and it seems like there's always something new with each new pregnancy. Last time my feet and legs were so swollen that my skin hurt. This time around I get overheated so easily that I'm to the point where I can't be outside in the direct sun for more than 10 minutes. :(   

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#3 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 AM

I am so sorry! When I worked for chiropractors, we had 2 women with similar situations to you and I simply wanted to cry with them because they are essentially helpless! I wish I had a magic solution for you :( Here's to hoping that when your baby girl decides to arrive, the pain will go right out of the door!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#4 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM

hug2.gif

that sounds just terrible, awful and totally unfair. i'm sorry you have to endure all this.

sending you love and light!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#5 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad.  Much love to you.  I hope that baby gets here soon!

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#6 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM

W/ all of that I would be done too! I hope baby decides to come soon.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#7 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM

yuck, that sounds awful! I'll think of you next time I start feeling sorry for myself and all my "normal" pains. Maybe it will make me get over it a little. All I can say is hang in there.

Harmony, mom of dd (14), ds (11), ds (4) and having #4 in June
#8 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM

I thought I had it bad! I'm sorry, I totally feel you on being 'done' though. That sounds absolutely horrific!

I just spent the last week in the hospital with contractions almost constantly sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 2-3 minutes apart, for absolutely no reason, getting repeated doses of Ventolin to get them to slow. I'm home now, still pregnant, still contracting with a Ventolin inhaler and bed-rest to cope, just trying to get to 36 weeks so I don't have to transfer by plane to Edmonton to deliver. Our hospital here has no NICU.

I'm determined now to stay out of the freaking hospital until "something else" happens that is definitive evidence that it's 'go time'. Water breaking, way stronger contractions, loss of mucus plug, something. The psychological toll of being there was more than I was prepared for, along with the almost constant offering of morphine. As far as I know, I'm not dilating since they last checked, I'm just grumpy, sore and exhausted, and I feel like a bad person to want to hand my baby an eviction notice already, I can't imagine what you're going through. :( I'm sorry, sweets.

I'm a twenty-something Canadian girl married to my sweetheart and due in June with Baby #1
#9 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Spin, sounds like irritable uterus to me. :) My contractions start off like that 6+ hours a day, leading up to 24 hours a day, for many weeks prior to delivery. Totally normal for me, as well as other women with the problem. Even if you're slightly dilated or losing your plug, it does not indicate labour... IU usually responds to resting or drinking large amounts of water by having the contractions temporarily space out or become less intense. You'll know if it's real labour. :)

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#10 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

Spin, sounds like irritable uterus to me. :) My contractions start off like that 6+ hours a day, leading up to 24 hours a day, for many weeks prior to delivery. Totally normal for me, as well as other women with the problem. Even if you're slightly dilated or losing your plug, it does not indicate labour... IU usually responds to resting or drinking large amounts of water by having the contractions temporarily space out or become less intense. You'll know if it's real labour. :)

Yes, same here. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#11 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm so sorry!  I would be feeling totally done, too, if I were in your shoes.  hug.gif

#12 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Hugs mama!  This is my fifth time/sixth baby and I've always sailed through to the end and feeling quite rough this time.  I have a bad left sided pain that radiates to my back that is pretty debilitating and I also feel like I'm being so lazy! But it hurrrrts!

And I also had my babe engage this week! I'm not quite 34w either. Mine have never engaged this early. So now I have the back/tummy pain and a bowling ball between my thighs....or it feels like it LOL  

I say....be as lazy as you have to! It's only a few more weeks and we're done :)  I've lowered my expectations to just about nothing and when I actually get something done on a given day....I'm happy!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#13 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Maybe it's your gallbladder? That is exactly like my pain when I have problems.... but, I'm no professional by any means:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post

Hugs mama!  This is my fifth time/sixth baby and I've always sailed through to the end and feeling quite rough this time.  I have a bad left sided pain that radiates to my back that is pretty debilitating and I also feel like I'm being so lazy! But it hurrrrts!

And I also had my babe engage this week! I'm not quite 34w either. Mine have never engaged this early. So now I have the back/tummy pain and a bowling ball between my thighs....or it feels like it LOL  

I say....be as lazy as you have to! It's only a few more weeks and we're done :)  I've lowered my expectations to just about nothing and when I actually get something done on a given day....I'm happy!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#14 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

hug2.gif

This pregnancy has been outrageously painful for me, too. So much so that I am pretty much convinced that I just can't go through this again. So while my pain is certainly different from yours, littleteapot, I can definitely relate to the disruption on your normal, daily activities. I no longer take my kids to the park or out for walks because my crotch hurts so much that it is unbearable. My kids want me to get on the floor and play crazy games with them but the only thing I can do is sit on the couch with my feet up. Its sad and disappointing.

I hope the next few weeks go by quickly for you and some of the pain eases up.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#15 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. Misery loves company. ;)

I've spent the last two days almost entirely in bed with back spasms. Good thing I have a laptop to keep me company. :( My kids exist almost entirely due to TV and video games right now, because my husband doesn't get home from work until almost 6pm every night and by the time school is out I literally can't leave my bed, even to go to the bathroom and throw up (gross, I know... I have to keep vomit bowls next to the bed for this reason). He just switched jobs to something really wonderful, and during this adjustment phase he's working two continuous weeks without a single day off. My daughter is in school full time but my son attends preschool just a few hours. Even getting up and driving him the 3 blocks there and back (we've always walked up to this point... hating that) is enough to put me in tears. I keep avoiding taking my extra meds because I just hate taking them all the time; I don't want to have to take them every day, all day, but I don't know what else to do. Even with the extra meds it gives me enough relief to stop crying/sleeping through the day and actually be awake and aware through the pain, but not enough relief to actually be able to do anything short of moving from bed to bathroom and back. I'm hoping this is a bad phase brought on by something, which means it might ease up a little after another few days... but a bigger part of me knows that's probably not true and this may be how it goes until birth. :( Thank god for birthing pools; I can't wait to settle down in a nice warm pool in my livingroom during  labour.

#16 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM

I hope that today is going better for you hug.gif

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#17 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 PM

ugh!!! sorry it is going so rough for you... horrible :( sorry mama.

( i spent the afternoon laying in bed reading your LJ. )

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#18 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

ugh!!! sorry it is going so rough for you... horrible :( sorry mama.

( i spent the afternoon laying in bed reading your LJ. )

Hehe, did you? Well, welcome! ;)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page