May Chat Thread - Week 3 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Smokering, what's a cervical smear?

It's a pap smear. They scrape cells off your cervix to check for cancerous or pre-cancerous badness. I've only had one. You're supposed to have them every few years from the age of 18 here, or something like that, but I was very low-risk-factor (only one sexual partner, young, white, yadda yadda) and never really fancied the idea. When I was about to be induced with DD I got this HORRIBLE doctor, who first gave me a very rough and painful pelvic exam (the first one I'd ever had) and then proceeded to yell at me for not having had regular cervical smears in the past. NOT a good time for it, you know? Anyway, after DD was born the health department kept pestering me with emails and I eventually decided to be a big girl and get one done.

It was one of the most unpleasant things ever to happen to me. The nurse had all the tender touch of a sledgehammer, used a speculum that was WAY too big and generally left me gibbering and fighting the urge to kick her in the face. Then she had to do it again because she forgot to check something. Worse yet, she scraped and banged my cervix with the speculum, leading to a tiny show of blood, and then decided that made the results "abnormal" and made me come in for another smear. Luckily that time I got a doctor, who was wonderful - she used a pediatric speculum, apologised for the previous nurse's incompetence, and assured me I had nothing abnormal going on at all. Nevertheless, it'll be a cold day in hell before I get another smear. I apparently have a Thing about people inserting unnatural objects into my vagina, and, well, so be it.

Redeyedvireo: Ouch! Poor kid!

Well, I still have the flu, or whatever it is - now it's mostly morphed into a horrible hacking cough, which caused me to throw up my dinner again last night (sigh - five times and counting). DH, DD and our flatmate are all in various stages of coming down with it too. Last night was still a hundred times better than the night before, though - no heartburn (due to an empty stomach?), and I actually got a fair bit of sleep. So, yay! I am going to call my MW today, though. I've been coughing so hard I have a vague worry that it might cause a placental abruption. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#122 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry you're still sick, Smokering! :(

I woke up sick with a nasty fever this morning too. Dizzy, chills, the works. I was feeling so awful that I tried calling the maternity ward to see whether it was anything to worry about at this point in pregnancy, but no one answered the phone. I'm glad they didn't because I started feeling a bit better after an hour or so anyway. I hope it passes quickly!

Anyone else have a major fear of going into labor while sick? How awful would that be?!

Midwife appt tomorrow. She wants to check fundal height because I've gone from measuring 3 weeks ahead to 3 weeks behind. If it's no better then I'll go in for a growth ultrasound. I'm not too worried, seeing as my last pregnancy followed the same pattern. Besides, I think the last measurement was off because I was lying funny. We'll see.

In other news, I'm seriously beginning to think that labor might be soon-ish, maybe within the next 5-10 days. I'm allowing myself a tiny bit of excitement. biggrinbounce.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#123 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Anyone else have a major fear of going into labor while sick? How awful would that be?!

One of my mum's friends had the flu during her labour. She barely remembers any of it. She ended up wandering off to the toilet in L&D and giving birth on the floor, in a flu-induced haze. Not really the birth vibe I'm going for!

There was also a mama on MDC one time who broke her leg a few weeks before giving birth. Now that would be awful.

#124 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

One of my mum's friends had the flu during her labour. She barely remembers any of it. She ended up wandering off to the toilet in L&D and giving birth on the floor, in a flu-induced haze. Not really the birth vibe I'm going for!

There was also a mama on MDC one time who broke her leg a few weeks before giving birth. Now that would be awful.

Oh my! I cannot imagine anything more miserable.

I've actually never heard of anyone I know going into labor whilst sick. Maybe our bodies generally "know" to hold off until we're feeling stronger?

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#125 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 PM

I had a bad Upper Respiratory Infection when I had DS. I was induced so this is probably why my body was waiting. It was not fun to have a coughing fit following a contraction. Thankfully, both did not happen at the same time. But on the upside the URI was cleared up by the antibiotics for the GBS. lol.gif

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#126 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Baby shower was a good time! I was worried that my "no gross or embarrassing games" dictum wouldn't get heeded, but the only activities we did were decorating bibs and having guests write parenting advice in a book for me, and that's exactly what I wanted. And I now have all the Gerber dipes I could need. (And some cute little outfits.) I've heard some less than awesome things about their suitability for cloth diapering, though, so I think I'll still get some prefolds from GMD to be on the safe side. And I'm still pining for some pocket diapers. I need to start pursuing those. I'm making my own wipes, which is proving to be annoyingly labor-intensive--making them double-sided, have to fold down and hem all the edges.

My in-laws had been planning on coming down for my graduation (June 11) and bringing the heirloom cradle for us. This made me slightly nervous to begin with because I was concerned about what would happen if we had the baby before that and also hubby thought that they were going to bring a mattress and sheets but maybe not and wasn't sure what size it was if we had to get a mattress and sheets ourselves and ()&#)%(&%)(#&%. Anyway, now they are talking about not coming down until after she's born. Not clear on why--although FIL lost his job recently so they may be trying to economize. I don't have an issue with any of that. I just like to know what to expect. Husband thinks that maybe they forgot about the cradle and/or if we asked them to bring the cradle down, they would... but honestly, I don't really care if we get it or not, I just want to know whether we WILL get it or not, so I can plan! Because I'm a planner, and he is more of a seat-of-pants person. I'm fed up now, so I want to figure something else out so that I'll at least be in control of the process. Husband is leary of co-sleeping. I'd love an Arm's Reach bassinet, but they are so darn expensive and only good for a few months, and then we'd have to get a regular crib anyway. I'm making him look into side-carring a crib since he's the one who doesn't want to co-sleep. But two Arm's Reaches popped up on Craigslist so I think I'll try to get one of those. Argh.

#127 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Holy cow!! What has happened to everyone over the last few days?? All I can say is ... wow, you ladies are A LOT stronger women than me. I feel so bad for all of those who are sick right now. 

Smokering-- I hope that this passes quickly! And that your poor DD and DH won't need to be nursed too much. Nothing is worse than trying to nurse a sick baby while being sick yourself--- or husband for that matter!

I can't believe all the labor symptoms! I am really getting antsy for someone to pop a baby out!

As for me-- still having the ctx and the pain. But my DH has all the sudden turned into Husband of the Year! He has been working his booty off trying to finish the house projects all the while taking care of me, cooking, watching DD, even cleaning the kitchen a few times!!! It has been amazing.... I've been able to lounge on the couch and really take it easy--- it's definitely made the ctx and all the other symptoms easier to deal with :) Although..... I think I have my first hemorrhoid---bigeyes.gif   I've never had one before and holy cow--- it is NOT something that I want to deal with for much longer! 

I think DD has caught some sort of bug. She has had circles under her eyes for a couple days and today has had a fever and basically slept or laid on the couch --all day. Must mean she feels terrible :( We just laid together, watching movies... it was pitiful, but also kind of nice. Is it sad that I like it when she's feeling bad bc she will snuggle with me???? Sheepish.gif

We have a busy week--- gotta clean, finish projects, cleaning lady comes for the first time, and my dad is coming this weekend to help! yay.... let the days roll on by... let's get this baby outta there!

Wishing that everyone gets rest! ---- pretty soon we will be posting at 3 am while nursing newborns joy.gif

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#128 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Smokering that Pap sounds terrible. I think anything involving people sticking things near your vagina really depends on who is doing it and how gentle and experienced they are. I have never had a problem with Pap smears, but my two cervical checks at the hospital last Tuesday were HORRIBLE! They hurt so bad. And after my last birth a week later I started bleeding insane amounts and had to go to the ER, and the doc there gave me a terrible, rough exam. I was terrified to go to my midwife for my 6 wk postpartum visit because of it, but she was unbelievably gentle and it didn't hurt at all.

I don't know if this is a normal stage of pregnancy (never felt like this with DS), but all nesting is out of the question and everything in life seems completely overwhelming. All I want to do is sit, and even that I don't really WANT to do. orngtongue.gif I am so *#&** crabby! I looked at the kitchen after supper (which DH made) today and just started to cry because it was too overwhelming to clean it. And it was only like a sink full of dishes, honestly. I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I just can't do anything. Maybe that means birth is soon upon me? Not sure if that's good or bad at this point because due to feeling like this I'm slacking off on cleaning the house and I don't want to come home to a disaster. The floor needs mopping, my socks are sticking to it. irked.gif DH did clean the kitchen though, thank goodness. winky.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#129 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Mostly vaginal exams don't bother me, but the one I had at the hospital when I went in with cramps at 28wks was painful. I told the resident afterwards and she was just like "oh, sorry" and I was like "No, thing is, they never bother me, and the fact that it bothered me so much might point to some other problem going on" and then she said that because of one of the tests they were doing she hadn't been able to use lube... NOW you tell me! maybe partly because of that I am not looking forward to getting vaginal exams in labor. Mostly I just want to minimize having fingers in my personal areas. I also didn't like when now-former midwife group insisted on doing a full vaginal exam with Pap smear at my first visit, since I'd had those procedures 3 months prior from another provider. Grump.

#130 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Fortunately, midwives in NZ don't seem to be as big on internal exams as they are elsewhere. They don't do prenatal ones (unless there's a good reason, obviously), and I didn't have any after DD's birth. I had a couple during labour, mostly because I was being induced and they wanted to make sure I was progressing fast enough (pre-eclampsia). This time I'm declining them during labour unless there's a jolly good cause, and my MW is fine with it.

BarefootScientist: I know how you feel! Even before I got this flu, I was feeling incredibly unmotivated. And I have so much to get done! I just want to blank out and stare at the wall - even watching TV seems like too much effort.

#131 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Wow, all you poor guys who are sick and in the ER and just flat tired, hugs to you. Feel better soon!

So, my son will probably lose his two front teeth when we go back in two weeks, since they have basically been coming off in chunks all day. I'm just so thankful that it doesn't hurt him, since the nerves were removed in January. Still, 3 is young to lose your front teeth. I feel bad for him.

On the plus side, the morning's dentist visit could not have gone better, and we had time to go have a treat of yogurt and hot cocoa before I went off to my first ever baby shower, which was a lovely double shower with another woman from church. It is so nice to have friends who care about us enough to want to celebrate with us, even though we've only known them for six months.

Erigeron - glad your shower went well, too! That waiting on in-laws would drive me nuts as well. 

What is up with Braxton-Hicks that I can feel in my neck? I've felt them in my neck for months when lying down, but the last two days, they've all radiated up to my neck, even when I'm standing up. Weird and a little scary, because they make me a little breathless.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
#132 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Baby shower was a good time! I was worried that my "no gross or embarrassing games" dictum wouldn't get heeded, but the only activities we did were decorating bibs and having guests write parenting advice in a book for me, and that's exactly what I wanted.

Because I'm a planner, and he is more of a seat-of-pants person. I'm fed up now, so I want to figure something else out so that I'll at least be in control of the process. Husband is leery of co-sleeping. I'd love an Arm's Reach bassinet, but they are so darn expensive and only good for a few months, and then we'd have to get a regular crib anyway. I'm making him look into side-carring a crib since he's the one who doesn't want to co-sleep. But two Arm's Reaches popped up on Craigslist so I think I'll try to get one of those. Argh.

Yay for good baby showers! The games always concern me as well. This time around DD was in charge of the games for my shower and I helped her, which gave me the final say on the ones we did. I will never understand why people continue to do that toilet paper around the mom game. It's horrible!

I am TOTALLY a planner (don't you have to be in order to be a nurse? lol) so the "take it as it comes" attitude makes me insane. The nice thing about the Arm's Reach is that the full size one can be used as a play yard after you're done using it as a cosleeper. Which is awesome because you get twice as much usage out of it. Yay for Craigslist!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

As for me-- still having the ctx and the pain. But my DH has all the sudden turned into Husband of the Year! He has been working his booty off trying to finish the house projects all the while taking care of me, cooking, watching DD, even cleaning the kitchen a few times!!! It has been amazing.... I've been able to lounge on the couch and really take it easy--- it's definitely made the ctx and all the other symptoms easier to deal with :) Although..... I think I have my first hemorrhoid---bigeyes.gif   I've never had one before and holy cow--- it is NOT something that I want to deal with for much longer! 

I think DD has caught some sort of bug. She has had circles under her eyes for a couple days and today has had a fever and basically slept or laid on the couch --all day. Must mean she feels terrible :( We just laid together, watching movies... it was pitiful, but also kind of nice. Is it sad that I like it when she's feeling bad bc she will snuggle with me???? Sheepish.gif

That is awesome that your DH has stepped up like that. You deserve some rest time after all the work you've been doing to get the house ready. Throw in all those ctx on top of that and it's a lot to deal with! Don't feel bad for enjoying your DD snuggling with you because she's sick. There have been plenty of times in my life when I was glad I had an excuse to stay home with a sick kiddo and do nothing but cuddle and sleep and watch movies all day long. Honestly, I think that stuff goes further in helping kids get better than anything else. That momma time is priceless. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

I don't know if this is a normal stage of pregnancy (never felt like this with DS), but all nesting is out of the question and everything in life seems completely overwhelming. All I want to do is sit, and even that I don't really WANT to do. orngtongue.gifI am so *#&** crabby!

Yeah, that. My ex-husband told me the morning of the day that I went into labor with DD, "You must be getting ready to have that baby soon, because you are being a total bitch!" Admittedly, not the best thing to say to your hugely pregnant wife who is hotter than hell because it's July and there's no central AC anywhere in the state of Oregon. But I think he had a point. I was really super cranky right before labor started with both kids, and this time around I feel like I want to snap the necks of anyone who doesn't listen to me, move fast enough, or act smart enough. Shopping trips irritate me beyond belief and I swear that all the stupid, slow, inconsiderate people wait until I'm on the road and/or in the store to also come out of their homes. It's maddening.

Quote:

Fortunately, midwives in NZ don't seem to be as big on internal exams as they are elsewhere. They don't do prenatal ones (unless there's a good reason, obviously), and I didn't have any after DD's birth. I had a couple during labour, mostly because I was being induced and they wanted to make sure I was progressing fast enough (pre-eclampsia). This time I'm declining them during labour unless there's a jolly good cause, and my MW is fine with it.

My MWs haven't done any exams this time around, except for the pap/pelvic that I had at the beginning of my pregnancy. And the only reason they did it then was because it had been more than a year since my last annual exam. I told my MWs that I don't want cervical checks during labor unless I ask for it or there might be a real reason and they are also totally fine with it. Which is great because I really dislike random people coming into the room and sticking their hands into my vagina.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeyedvireo View Post

What is up with Braxton-Hicks that I can feel in my neck? I've felt them in my neck for months when lying down, but the last two days, they've all radiated up to my neck, even when I'm standing up. Weird and a little scary, because they make me a little breathless.

Glad the dentist visit and the shower went well! But BH in your neck?? That sounds miserable! The BH I've only ever felt in my belly. Which is how I can tell the difference between BH and "real" ctx because the real ones I feel in my belly, and my lower back. Plus they kind of hurt more than the BH do.

AFM... I got the crib all set up today! Yay! I still haven't packed my hospital bag, but maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I'm tired today and ready to stop doing stuff. Except I kind of want to pull all the baby clothes out of the dresser, reorganize them by type of clothes and size and put everything away again. And do more laundry because I got some new stuff today that needs to be washed. Must resist urge...

Here's a picture of baby boy's crib! Not that he'll be in it all that much in the first part of his life...  :)

IMG_0317.JPG

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#133 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM

My in-laws are great, but sometimes it is hard for me to figure out what is going on regarding making plans with them. It is possible this is because my communication with them is filtered through their son, who definitely has difficulty making plans to the degree of detail I would like. eyesroll.gif

#134 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 PM

So sorry to hear so many of you ladies and your families are sick/injured/miserable! grouphug.gif

Sarah Lynne: So sorry about your DH. Sounds like you guys have some talking to do. hug2.gif

Jenni: For some reason, I always start getting TERRIBLE BH when I walk into Walmart. Kinda not fun, since I do lots of my groceries there :(  It also has an extreme diuretic (sp?) effect on me :(  Nowhere else, though, lol. I blame it on the air!

So today I started my EPO capsules and I figured, meh, while I'm up there, may as well see if I can check my cervix. Well, I slid the capsule up no problem, but then all I could feel past my finger was the tunnel continuing into the abyss. I guess it's too far to reach still. I have a feeling I'm really going to ENJOY this week's stretch and sweep bigeyes.gif Especially since I've only ever had internal exams during labour. (We don't do them much here, unless there's a specific reason to be going up there. Pap smears are done by our GPs here, too, so I have not yet had a traumatic one, and I don't really mind them. I had one at the beginning of my last pregnancy, but none this time around :)

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#135 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Cute crib set up Jenni!

#136 of 157 Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM

OK, so you may want to skip this post if you're squeamish.

DH, our flatmate and I have been having a fascinating discussion about post-mortem Caesarean - inspired by my current bout of flu, naturally. I casually said "So if I drop dead, will you do an emergency C-section to get the baby out?" - a simple question, you would think - but they were quite reluctant. First our flatmate was all "Well, I wouldn't know if you'd want me to; I'd want to honour your wishes", and I was like "Dude, what kind of mother's going to be all "no, let my child perish inside my twitching corpse?", which he agreed was fair. But then he was all "But how would I know if you were dead?", and we got onto a digression about whether doing CPR on me - essentially just ventilating my corpse - would buy the baby a few extra minutes until the ambulance arrived. Flatmate and DH didn't think it would, but I thought it might - doesn't that work for organ transplant? And then we started discussing how long he'd have to perform the operation - he thought 15 minutes, but DH and I both said no, it would be 2-3 max. And then it transpired that our flatmate was thinking of a vertical incision, which is hardly current practice - although I don't suppose it would matter much if I were dead, really, so maybe he should just do a classical T-incision to save time.

Anyway, today he came back from work and told me he'd googled it, and found an ehow article on "How to Perform a Caesarean" - but apparently it was directed at doctors, and contained statements like "Now administer the anaesthetic", which wouldn't be too helpful. (Does it disturb anyone else that one's doctor is potentially looking up "How to Perform a Caesarean" on ehow??) DH said we'd really want to watch a video tute to get a better idea. Anyway, I'm not at all convinced that either our flatmate or DH would come through in the crisis - they both seemed distinctly unkeen and understandably so, but still. Men.

Which leads me to another interesting thought - how are surgeries learned? Are there, like, recipe books? I mean, in theory a simplish operation like an appendectomy would have various logical recipe-like steps, right? Cut in incision this deep and this wide, remove that, suture this, etc. Are surgeons expected to know it all off by heart - even, like, really long complicated operations - or do they have a nurse standing off to the side reading "Step six: cauterise the blood vessels"? One doesn't see that happening on TV, but I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it. Although maybe a lot of operations can be peformed in different sequences, according to the preference of the surgeon - just like cooking. So, I dunno.

Anyway, ladies. Would you trust your husband to perform an emergency post-mortem C-section in the event of your untimely and unmistakable demise? Discuss.

#137 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 AM

Whoa, Smokering! What an awesome, gruesome discussion. I have nothing to add.

...and I'm up at 5 again. Can't do anything productive without waking up the household. So tired.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
#138 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 AM

Up at 5am now (and I'm NOT an early bird) to start my first day of summer classes...kicking off with 3 credits and 100+ hours of clinical over the next four weeks.  Wish me luck!  Sheepish.gif

#139 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
 how are surgeries learned? Are there, like, recipe books?

My guess would be they watch and assist on a bunch of them, then they are talked through by a more experienced surgeon on a bunch of them, and by the time they have done all that they know all the steps and they know how to mix them up if anything unexpected happens.

I probably wouldn't want my husband to do emergency surgery on me if I died, just because I can't imagine he'd be up to it emotionally and he would have no idea what he was doing. He knows CPR--he could do that until the paramedics arrived, and they surely know more about when to do such things.

#140 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 AM

Oh my goodness, I missed a lot this weekend.  Hugs to everybody who's having a rough time of it.grouphug.gif

I got quite a surprise this weekend.  A close friend of the family came up from Jacksonville, and his dad (whom we'd never met before) came down from Myrtle Beach, to deliver us a cradle that the dad made for our friend when he was a baby.  It's really beautiful and I was so touched!  But it set off a spate of nesting the likes of which I don't think I've ever experienced.  LOL

I completely rearranged/reorganized the girls' bedroom, which lead to reorganizing and moving furniture all over the 2nd floor of our house.  But it looks SO much better and -- fingers crossed -- I'm HOPING that it'll be easier for the girls to keep neat & clean.

Oh, and I LIVED the whole weekend in a nursing bra that I bought on Friday.  Soooo comfortable!  The store only had 1, in black, in stock, so I'll be ordering more of them.  I'm really hard to fit and tried on something like 15 bras before finding this one.  I'd still like to find something more structured, but this is perfect for around the house and under t-shirts.

Still trying to figure out the carseat situation in my car.  I drive a Ford Focus wagon and need to be able to fit all 3 kids in some combination of RF infant, bigger kid carseat or booster, and big kid booster.  What I have now is a Graco Turbo booster for my 6 y/o, an Evenflo booster for my 4 y/o, and a Graco Snugride for the baby.  I cannot get them all to fit and I'm moderately freaking out about it.  A new vehicle is not an option.  :(

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#141 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Wow! What a weekend for everyone! I am totally lost in this chat thread!

For everyone who is sick or had accidents or have injured kids - wishing you lots of healing vibes and healthy times!! goodvibes.gif

As for the emergency section post mortum, I would probably trust DH to do that only because he was a med school drop out and had witnessed many surgeries - though I would never in a million years expect him to be able to perform such a feat. As for training, it starts with observation, then discussion and then scalpel in hand. Med students usually practice on cadavers first so they have a little bit of experience with the knife once they get into the operating room. Surgeons have a much longer and involved residency than most medical specialties because of the intensity of the job.

heathenmom, I am in a similar situation with the carseats - we really can't afford a minivan right now and I am trying to figure out how to get 3 across in our Rav4. We have FF DS who is in a convertible, RF DD who is also in a convertible (but will probably put her FF in the fall) and then the newborn. We have Britax seats right now and have looked into the Radians, but they are sooooo expensive... we may end up asking MIL for a loan to get a minivan. If we sell the Rav4 and have an extra couple of thousand bucks, we could get something decent.

As for me, if I don't get some sleep soon I am going to completely flip out. Seriously.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#142 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Smokering, I want to be your friend IRL. winky.gif It sounds like you have really interesting discussions.

I think I would trust my DH to give me an emergency c-section if I suddenly dropped dead - IF he was feeling up to it. He is a pretty level-headed man and although he has never done surgeries before obviously, I can picture him taking care of that. You really wouldn't have to worry about the kind of incision, just slice the whole belly open and get that baby out of there, ya know?

I would never do it myself on a pregnant woman that died in my presence though. Well...I don't know, I guess it might depend on the situation. I can't really see myself doing it, but in a desperate situation, if I knew she would want me to...I guess I would.

Fascinating but so morbid. lol.gif

#143 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Jenni-- I LOVE that crib and your bedding. It looks so cheery and relaxing in there :)

Smokering--- That IS an interesting situation. For some reason, these convo's come up with DH and I a lot. I always want to know what he would do and why. That being said.... I would trust DH to do it. And, I'd like to think that his survival instincts would kick in and override all the emotions from me just croaking out on the floor haha. It makes me more nervous to think about him taking care of a newborn immediately post c-section than the actual cutting and pulling the baby out. I feel like I need to go over things with him step by step... just in case. I think my biggest fear would be him cutting the baby with whatever he chose to slice me open with. It would have to be a kitchen knife.... and the knives we have aren't very sharp... so there would be a lot of pressure. It would take at LEAST two minutes to get through all of the skin and tissues before being able to break into the placenta...... If he could do all of that and the babe was still breathing, it would be miracle indeed!!!!

Anywho, thanks for making me think.... we've only discussed whether or not he would save the baby or me in an emergency situation.

Heathenmom and Tracy---- You both have the bulkiest seats ever! hahaha I don't think it is even POSSIBLE for you to fit 3 Britax seats beside one another. The only set up I've seen work in a standard size back seat is with at least one Radian (I'm sure there is SOMETHING out there like it). We have a Radian and LOVE it--plan on getting another for DS.... but they are pricey :(

Maybe Jenni can help you with all of her carseat knowledge!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#144 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 AM

I am totally going to ask DH about this when he gets home tonight. With DS, I was mildly freaked out that someone might try to kill me and steal my baby. It was pretty irrational, but if someone tried to become my new friend towards the end of my pregnancy, I was weirded out. Like, a girl I worked with suddenly started buying me maternity clothes and wanting to go out to lunch. I thought it was possible that she wanted to kill me and steal the baby. I haven't felt like that this time, though. Weird, huh?

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#145 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Which leads me to another interesting thought - how are surgeries learned?

Anyway, ladies. Would you trust your husband to perform an emergency post-mortem C-section in the event of your untimely and unmistakable demise? Discuss.

They're learned by learning the anatomy & physiology backwards & forwards, reading about how to do them from medical textbooks (not on ehow, LMAO!), watching the surgeries being performed and then doing them as an intern/resident with an attending surgeon walking the learner through the process. Over and over and over and over again. And since most doctors/surgeons are in one particular area like cardiac, neurosurgery, kidneys, GI, OB/GYN, etc, they don't have to learn how to do every kind of surgery just the ones that they'll do as a practicing surgeon/physician.

Since I don't have a husband I'd have to hope that my sister was near me if I suddenly dropped dead. I'd absolutely trust her to do a c/s to get the baby out since she does them all the time. Of course, the better option would be to not suddenly drop dead but I'm pretty sure that's not something any of us can control, for the most part. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

I got quite a surprise this weekend.  A close friend of the family came up from Jacksonville, and his dad (whom we'd never met before) came down from Myrtle Beach, to deliver us a cradle that the dad made for our friend when he was a baby.  It's really beautiful and I was so touched!  But it set off a spate of nesting the likes of which I don't think I've ever experienced.  LOL

I completely rearranged/reorganized the girls' bedroom, which lead to reorganizing and moving furniture all over the 2nd floor of our house.  But it looks SO much better and -- fingers crossed -- I'm HOPING that it'll be easier for the girls to keep neat & clean.

Oh, and I LIVED the whole weekend in a nursing bra that I bought on Friday.  Soooo comfortable!  The store only had 1, in black, in stock, so I'll be ordering more of them.  I'm really hard to fit and tried on something like 15 bras before finding this one.  I'd still like to find something more structured, but this is perfect for around the house and under t-shirts.

Still trying to figure out the carseat situation in my car.  I drive a Ford Focus wagon and need to be able to fit all 3 kids in some combination of RF infant, bigger kid carseat or booster, and big kid booster.  What I have now is a Graco Turbo booster for my 6 y/o, an Evenflo booster for my 4 y/o, and a Graco Snugride for the baby.  I cannot get them all to fit and I'm moderately freaking out about it.  A new vehicle is not an option.  :(

The cradle sounds lovely! How sweet of him to bring it to you. I can totally understand the new piece of furniture kicking off a spate of nesting. My BIL came over on Thursday (I think) and set the crib up in my room while I was out at car seat class. Yesterday I finally gave into my urge to start rearranging what little I can in my room and organizing and getting everything ready for baby. I'm still not done though and I have a big ol' list of things that need to be accomplished in my room & my closet before I'll be able to leave it alone.

Fitting car seats in a car can be SO hard! Does your Focus have lap/shoulder belts in all 3 seating positions in the back seat? If you absolutely cannot make all 3 seats fit in the back seat, you may have to put the 4 yr old into a seat with harness straps that go to a higher weight and move him/her to the front passenger seat with the seat moved as far back from the airbag as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Smokering, I want to be your friend IRL. winky.gif It sounds like you have really interesting discussions.

I feel the same way! Too bad NZ is so far away from Texas!

My "belly buddy", a friend of mine who is due with her 4th baby on June 1st, had her water break this morning! I'm so excited that I'll get to see pictures of baby soon! She lives in California so a visit anytime soon isn't going to happen. We joke around that our kids are going to grow up and get married. lol  I really thought it would be great if we could have our babies on the same day, but it looks like that won't happen unless I suddenly kick into active labor.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#146 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Heathenmom and Tracy---- You both have the bulkiest seats ever! hahaha I don't think it is even POSSIBLE for you to fit 3 Britax seats beside one another. The only set up I've seen work in a standard size back seat is with at least one Radian (I'm sure there is SOMETHING out there like it). We have a Radian and LOVE it--plan on getting another for DS.... but they are pricey :(

Maybe Jenni can help you with all of her carseat knowledge!

Really? bag.gif  'Cause I've been searching for months and 17" wide was about the narrowest I could find -- the Radian being the exception -- and all 3 are 17".  They actually all FIT in the back seat; it's just impossible to get them all buckled.  Which is clearly a problem.  duck.gif

#147 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

Really? bag.gif  'Cause I've been searching for months and 17" wide was about the narrowest I could find -- the Radian being the exception -- and all 3 are 17".  They actually all FIT in the back seat; it's just impossible to get them all buckled.  Which is clearly a problem.  duck.gif

Does your car have LATCH? That might help with the buckling situation for at least one of the seats.

Jenni

#148 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Fitting car seats in a car can be SO hard! Does your Focus have lap/shoulder belts in all 3 seating positions in the back seat? If you absolutely cannot make all 3 seats fit in the back seat, you may have to put the 4 yr old into a seat with harness straps that go to a higher weight and move him/her to the front passenger seat with the seat moved as far back from the airbag as possible.

Just to clarify:  If I HAD to move one of the kids to the front seat, it should be the 4 y/o because she could still fit into a 5-point harnessed seat, and NOT the 6 y/o because she'd most likely have to go into a booster?  If that's the case, I'm SO glad you said that because I'd have put the oldest in the front.  guilty.gif

#149 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 AM

See? I knew Jenni would know! :)    All I know is, is that Britax seats are so hard to fit beside each other. When we were trying to figure out seat placements for my 4 nephews, the only seats that we could get to work were either a Radian, or a cheap seat like the CostCo Senera --- super slim, but kind of scary b/c they are so stinkin' light! <--- but super cheap and rated pretty well. 

Good idea about the latch--- would make it much , much easier to install.  And I totally would have put the oldest in the front seat too---- Obviously, I am NOT an expert by any means!!!

#150 of 157 Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM

OH, I meant to specify that yes, there are 3 lap belts in the back.

The more I think about it, though, the less comfortable I am putting anybody in the front seat.  I can't disable the air bag at all, and the only way to get the Graco rear-facing is to put it in either the middle or behind the front passenger seat with that seat moved up nearly as far as it will go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page