FInding a non-mainstream baby book - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have a good one? I bought a lovely handmade one 5 years ago but obviously the women who made them is no longer making them. :( There were pages for the midwife and doula and other things along those lines you'd never find in a baby book from Babies R Us.

Funny, I never get around to filling them out as much as I should but I still want one orngbiggrin.gif

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#2 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Have you looked at etsy.com? 

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#3 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM

I've been searching for something like this as well.  I've also been looking for ideas/tutorials on line about how to make your own baby book.  I bought a pretty mainstream one for DS, but would like to have one a little different for this baby.  If anyone knows any links of how to DIY, please share! 

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#4 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I started looking on Etsy--it's so overwhelming...redface.gif And the ones I've actually looked at the details for still have u/s pages, coming home pages, etc....

I'll definitely keep looking but if someone finds one first, PLEASE SHARE :)

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#5 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Yes I need to find a baby book too and would prefer one that is not as main-stream as the ones for my other children.

#6 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM

I think the best thing to do would probably be to make one of those photo/memory books online through snapfish or the apple website (if you have a mac) and just make the pages exactly how you want them. I did this with DD through Apple because, not only of the homebirth, but because we are Jewish and I really don't need the "baby's first christmas" and what-not pages. We had a "Jewish" one from the JUF for DS, but it was hospital-based so we went with making our own the next time around. I think we will probably do it again (if we find the time. lol!). I think it was about $30 and it was really simple to do.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#7 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 12:44 PM

You can make your own using a blank book filled with beautiful paper. Just insert the info that's important to you, stick some pictures in there. No tutorial, I know, but the craft store can be inspirational as far as materials go.

If you find a mainstream baby book that you love there's always the option of either covering the non-applicable pages with pretty scrapbook paper or photos.   

also:

http://www.handmadebabybook.com/cgi-bin/bb.cgi

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#8 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a mainstream one for DD that I think isn't terrible. It's a Hallmark baby book called The Big Story of Little Me. It does have a page about Mom, a page about Dad, and a section called "At the Hospital" -- I crossed it out so it reads "At Home"! But overall I found it pretty workable even for our pretty alternative family. One other nice thing about it is that it's a three ring binder, you can take out pages you totally don't want, and add your own pages. (Of course Hallmark sells ones that fit it perfectly, but I'm sure you could also DIY. I did buy some extra Hallmark clear plastic scrapbook-y pages because I found we had a bunch of other things (like welcome baby cards from great-grandparents, a newspaper clipping, etc) that I wanted to save.
#9 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM

Have you looked at "The First 1000 Days" by Nicki McClure? I haven't pored over it completely, but a friend had it last time around and it seemed really lovely. She is a local (to me) artist and I have a few of her other children's books for my daughter. They are beautiful and heartfelt. 

Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/First-1000-Days-Baby-Journal/dp/B004AVRZEY

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#10 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

i was so happy to get this as a gift. i haven't looked at every page yet but i just really love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallardBaby View Post

Have you looked at "The First 1000 Days" by Nicki McClure? I haven't pored over it completely, but a friend had it last time around and it seemed really lovely. She is a local (to me) artist and I have a few of her other children's books for my daughter. They are beautiful and heartfelt. 

Here it is on Amazon:

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#11 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM

I made a baby book for DS. I borrowed a couple from friends so I could see what types of things they had in them and I just made my own pages. This was back before the days of desktop computing so I handwrote everything and put stickers and paper frames and such in there. I put the pages into plastic sheet protectors and put it all into a 1 inch white binder and then made a cover and spine pages for it.

I'm tempted to do the same for this baby and use either a scrapbook (my printer can print 12x12 pages) or do the same thing that I did with DS's baby book. I bought a traditional one for DD when she was about 6 years old and there are lots of blank areas because they just didn't apply. I can't stand the pages that ask how mommy and daddy met and about our wedding and about where we went to college because none of that stuff really applies to me.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#12 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM

I think I might take a stroll through the Hobby Lobby this weekend and look at scrapbooking stuff.  I'm crafty enough that I can come up with some ideas.  And, I like the idea of having a 3-ring binder so you can put stuff in where ever you like.

#13 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 PM

I didn't like any of the ones at Babies R Us and the ones I liked on Etsy were $60. But there are PDF files on Etsy that are much cheaper. So we just bought a pretty journal and I'm going to unpick the binding, print and add some of the pages from the PDF file, and voila, I have a book with the pages I want, none of the ones I don't, and that's mostly freeform journal space--which is what I really want anyway; I don't want to shoehorn my recollections into someone else's space. I would have just gotten a three-ring binder but I didn't really like any of the ones I saw.

#14 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I didn't like any of the ones at Babies R Us and the ones I liked on Etsy were $60. But there are PDF files on Etsy that are much cheaper. So we just bought a pretty journal and I'm going to unpick the binding, print and add some of the pages from the PDF file, and voila, I have a book with the pages I want, none of the ones I don't, and that's mostly freeform journal space--which is what I really want anyway; I don't want to shoehorn my recollections into someone else's space. I would have just gotten a three-ring binder but I didn't really like any of the ones I saw.

Where on etsy are the PDF files? I've been looking and I don't see anything that looks right.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#15 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM

This shop has about 20 different ones: http://www.etsy.com/people/BabyRecordBooks?ref=ls_profile . I did download one and it is not particularly thrilling, but it has the stuff I want and I can just not print the pages I don't want (I don't want 3 pages tracking when baby first ate which food, for instance, and I don't really care to put her dental record in her baby book).

#16 of 22 Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 PM

This blog has a free pdf or word download for templates of a DIY baby book. The idea is to use pretty craft/scrapbook paper and glue the templates on top (then you are also free to add photos, mementos etc)

http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/06/something-free-five-lifesavers/

Though with this one I think I'm just going to start keeping a family history book - a big, beautiful lined book that I can enter in any snippets from our days, and record milestones too. I didn't do a great job at keeping up DDs baby book (it was the beautiful First 1000 Days by Nikki McLure) so maybe if I just do one book for the whole family.... 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#17 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Thanks so much for the link to that blog!  I actually started looking at scrapbooking stuff at Joann's on Monday and got a little overwhelmed.  Maybe this will help get me focused on starting!

#18 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Is there room for pictures in this book? Although writing a page for 1000 days stresses me out I like the vibe of this book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallardBaby View Post

Here it is on Amazon:

*S*
DD 8, DS 6, & New Little One - EDD 6/20/11
#19 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM

I decided to make a photo book using IPhoto.  That way I could document DDs 1st year with descriptions and photos and tailor it however I wanted.  

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#20 of 22 Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbis_d View Post

Is there room for pictures in this book? Although writing a page for 1000 days stresses me out I like the vibe of this book!

It's not organized like that - day by day. It has a couple of pages at the beginning for birth stories and family info, then it's organized by month, up to 24 months, with a special page in the middle for 1st birthday, then it has pages after that for things like Firsts, Songs We Sing, Games We Play. Then a section for Our Dreams and Wishes for You, pages to attach a letter from each parent, And then 6 pages at the end to put photos, though it would only really be 1 photo per page, because it's a small book (5 x 7 or 6 x 8 or thereabouts.)

It doesn't have the usual baby book prompts, and the pages for each month are mostly blank (except for one or two of her cute illustrations, and every couple of months some poetic text.) Which I liked, because we were free to put in our own stories, jokes, whatever we wanted to about that month. Though sometimes this was daunting... and maybe I would have done better with a fill-in-the-blank type book. But it really is beautiful, and a wonderful way to view the first 3 or so years of your child's life. 

Crafty, play-at-home mama to spirited 4 yo DD and zany 1 yo DS, living in an ecovillage in beautiful British Columbia. 
#21 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM

DDCC  - this one is $$$ but gorgeous!  I'm hoping someone buys it for me, otherwise I'll splurge and buy it for myself.  

http://www.binth.com/Products/Binth+Baby+Book+in+Green?category=binth%20baby%20book&subCategory=binth%20baby%20book

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#22 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

DDCC  - this one is $$$ but gorgeous!  I'm hoping someone buys it for me, otherwise I'll splurge and buy it for myself.  

http://www.binth.com/Products/Binth+Baby+Book+in+Green?category=binth%20baby%20book&subCategory=binth%20baby%20book

for the year of the rabbit baby - perfect! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page