GBS positive - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone else recently tested positive or have tales to share from a previous GBS+ pregnancy? What protocol (if any) will you follow? Any wisdom to share? Have we already talked about it? 

This is the first time in six pregnancies that I've tested positive and because I never needed to know about GBS I didn't make gathering knowledge a priority. I feel overwhelmed and bummed. greensad.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#2 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM

I know that a hibiclens wash can get rid of the GBS prior to birth, or even during labor. My CPMs do the hibiclens wash on GBS+ moms during labor, every 4 hours from the point where labor is clearly established until baby is born. I'm not sure what the mixture is, like if they mix the hibiclens with water and what the concentration is, or how much they use. I've never tested GBS+ and I won't know my results from my test on Monday until my appt next week.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#3 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I know it's dumb but I was shocked at my positive result. Got the news during my home visit this afternoon. I have heard about using Hibiclens and plan to talk more with my MW at my appointment next week. She did recommend inserting garlic vaginally every night but that's it for now. My labours are typically very quick so anything done at that point would be a one shot (if that) deal. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours is negative!  

#4 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM

I'd be shocked too, especially after being GBS- all your other pregnancies. I've never tested positive either and any deviation from my expected results upsets me.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#5 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 PM

I was positive last time and did the garlic thing as well washed my exterior with Hibiclens every few days until birth.  As soon as I felt like I was in labor, I did a hibiclens douche (I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was 1/3 hibiclens to 2/3 water).  I also made sure and took my probiotics every single day.  I'm not testing this time around, but instead following the same protocol, assuming I am GBS+.  My water didn't break until about two minutes before she was born, so her exposure was very limited.  I'm really not sure I wouldn't have opted for the antibiotics last time around if I had PROM, but that isn't an option this time around for me.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 PM

kawa, can you do a week of probiotics, garlic, etc. and then retest closer to your due date? from what i understand about group b strep, a woman can have it one day and not have it in a week. so just because you have it now, does not mean you will at birth.

the other thing to consider is that hibiclens kind of sterilizes your yoni and may get rid of good normal flora that is healthy for your baby to pass through. just things to think about. it is a complex issue.

i've pretty much decided against testing, as i would decline antibiotics (unless an extreme situation warrants it). i'm going to discuss with my ob on friday.

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#7 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 PM

Here's a good blog post on GBS + from The Contrarian Mom I was GBS+ with DD, and I hope to be negative this time around. I'm planning to do a garlic insertion a few days before the test, and also closer to my due date to make sure I am actually negative for the birth, not just for the test. I'm taking an extra 500mg Vitamin C per day, and my prenatals (New Chapter) contain probiotics. I wish I was a bigger fan of yogurt, because I've read that helps, too.

I did the Hibiclens wash with DD in labor, but then I transferred, so I ended up getting a bag of antibiotics + a 48 hour hospital stay. greensad.gif

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#8 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 PM

Yeah, Hibiclense is controversial to me too.  If I am positive (I check on Friday), I will probably do garlic, grapefruit seed extract tablets, an herbal douche, probiotics, etc. and recheck.  If I am still positive, I would consider doing a hibiclense wash, but I hate to kill of all the good stuff too.

I read some studies that showed that the chances of a baby being seriously ill with a GBS+ mom is rare, about the same risk of getting an antibiotic resistant superbug at the hospital BECAUSE of getting the antibiotics for GBS+.  Plus many moms struggle for months or years with yeast or other problems due to the antibiotics.  So, I am really wanting to avoid that route.  Although, if I transfer to the hospital as a GBS+ I have a hard time believing that I could ever refuse the antibiotics. : (

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#9 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't heard about the Grapeseed extract much in regards to GBS. Does anyone have more information on this? And for those inserting garlic, how are you doing it? I've read several different protocols. Some say to cut it, some say don't, Is there any kind of standard protocol for the garlic? I have my test a week from Friday and as I was GBS + with my last pregnancy, I really want to avoid that this time around if I can. So I'm considering doing some preemptive stuff before the test. I've been taking a probiotic off and on this entire pregnancy. So hopefully that helps!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#10 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Kawa, PM Annabelle - I know she has a wealth of knowledge about this. She has posted in the UC forums about it, I just don't have the time right now to find a specific thread. I would assume with the moving she probably hasn't been on here much, but she might get a PM.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#11 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM
fjc

Ugh! I too just found out I'm GBS +.  1st time in 3 pregnancies.  Kind of irritated because in my first 2 pregnancies, I did big doses of probiotics leading up to the testing but this time, I thought my test was at 38 weeks not 36 weeks.  I just got my results yesterday - my midwife is too concerned and is happy to still have me birth at home.  However, I'm really not keen to be on antibiotics or have my baby exposed to them so early.  My hubby is off to buy some potent probiotics for me which I'm going to take for the next week and then plead with my midwife to recheck at my next appt (38 weeks).  From what I've been told, 80% of women who test positive will still be positive at birth; however, 20% will no longer have GBS in their system. I figure that 20% is probably women like us - proactive ones who are willing to multiply the healthy gut flora! 

SAHM (32) Married to DH (32). Loving my DD ('06), DS ('08), and DD ('11)

#12 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 AM
fjc

Doing some internet research right now (results below)  Seems like the risk of GBS is lower than experiencing a mild allergic reaction to the anitbiotics!

This from midwiferytoday.com:

Researchers conducted a review of infants who had early-onset group B streptococcal (EOGBS) infections and were born in Southern California Kaiser Permanente Hospitals from 1988 through 1996. To summarize:

*319 infants with EOGBS sepsis, bacteremia, or clinically suspected infection were identified from a population of 277,912 live births (approximately 1 in every 870 births).
*Of the 172 term infants with culture-positive infection who had clinical signs of infection, 95% exhibited them in the first 24 hours of life.
*All of the infants exposed to antibiotics during birth became ill within the first 24 hours of life.

Researchers concluded that "exposure to antibiotics during labor did not change the clinical spectrum of disease or the onset of clinical signs of infection within 24 hours of birth for term infants with EOGBS infection."
- Pediatrics August 2000; 106: 244-250
from Dr. Joseph Mercola, www.mercola.com/2000/aug/13/group_b_strep.htm
====

Can GBS disease among newborns be prevented?

Most GBS disease in newborns can be prevented by giving certain pregnant women antibiotics through the vein during labor. Any pregnant woman who previously had a baby with GBS disease or who has a urinary tract infection caused by GBS should receive antibiotics during labor.
Pregnant women who carry GBS should be offered antibiotics at the time of labor or membrane rupture. GBS carriers at highest risk are those with any of the following conditions:
* fever during labor
* rupture of membranes (water breaking) 18 hours or more before delivery
* labor or rupture of membranes before 37 weeks
Because women who carry GBS but do not develop any of these three complications have a relatively low risk of delivering an infant with GBS disease, the decision to take antibiotics during labor should balance risks and benefits. Penicillin is very effective at preventing GBS disease in the newborn and is generally safe. A GBS carrier with none of the conditions above has the following risks:
* 1 in 200 chance of delivering a baby with GBS disease if antibiotics are not given
* 1 in 4000 chance of delivering a baby with GBS disease if antibiotics are given
* 1 in 10 chance, or lower, of experiencing a mild allergic reaction to penicillin (such as rash)
* 1 in 10, 000 chance of developing a severe allergic reaction--anaphylaxis--to penicillin. Anaphylaxis requires emergency treatment and can be life-threatening.
If a prenatal culture for GBS was not done or the results are not available, physicians may give antibiotics to women with one or more of the risk conditions listed above.
Centers for Disease Control

=======================

If you choose not to have a GBS culture done during your pregnancy, you have about an 18 percent chance of needing antibiotics during labor, using the CDC/ACOG guidelines. Your baby's chance of developing GBS disease depends on whether you have (or develop in labor) any clinical risk factors.
If you don't have any clinical risk factors, your baby has about a one in 750 chance of developing GBS disease, and antibiotic treatment is not recommended.
If you do have one or more clinical risk factors, your baby, if untreated, has about a 1 percent chance (one in 100) of developing GBS disease. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) all recommend treatment with intravenous antibiotics in labor. This can be done at home and you can continue plans for a homebirth.
If you choose to have a GBS culture done during your pregnancy, you have about a 28 percent chance of needing antibiotics during labor, using the CDC/ACOG guidelines. Your baby's chance of developing GBS disease depends on the results of your culture and whether you have (or develop in labor) any clinical risk factors.
If a GBS culture comes back negative, your baby has a very small chance (one in 2,000) of developing GBS disease, and antibiotic treatment is not recommended.
If the GBS culture comes back positive, your baby's chance of developing GBS disease depends on whether you have (or develop in labor) any clinical risk factors. Antibiotic treatment for all women with a positive culture (regardless of clinical risk factors) prevents about 86 percent of GBS disease. Antibiotic treatment for only those women with a positive culture plus clinical risk factors prevents about 51 percent of GBS disease.
If you don't have any clinical risk factors, your baby, if untreated, has about a 0.5 percent chance (one in 200) of developing GBS disease. The CDC, ACOG and AAP all recommend offering treatment with IV antibiotics in labor to women in this category.
If you do have a clinical risk factor, your baby, if untreated, has about a 5 percent chance (one in twenty) of developing GBS disease. The CDC, ACOG, and AAP all recommend giving treatment with IV antibiotics in labor to women in this category.
Lynn McDonald, CNM, "Group B Screening," Midwifery Today Issue 52

SAHM (32) Married to DH (32). Loving my DD ('06), DS ('08), and DD ('11)

#13 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM

Where do you get Hibiclens from?

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#14 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM

You can get Hibiclens online. I saw it at our local Walgreens by the bandaids as well.

I was positive with my 8 year old. I got the + at 37 weeks, did a week of garlic trying to get a - and then retested. It was still +. My midwife administed antibiotics via Heparin lock and it wasn't a big deal. I was scared to death of having a needle poked into me during labor but she did a great job with it.

I didn't test with my 4 year old, who ended up being my hospital transfer baby. Basically, they just kept her 48 hours. the ped. asked the OB not to discharge me until he discharged the baby so the baby and I could stay in the room and he could pop in occasionally and visually observe her.

This time I did a Hibiclens and probiotics regimen before the test. 7 days of really good probiotics then a Hibiclens wash an hour before the test. I think I used 1 TBS of Hibiclens to a quart of water. I got a negative test result. I plan to do the probiotics again at 39 and 41 weeks (if I go to 41 weeks) and the Hibiclens in labor just to ensure that I am truly negative at the time of birth.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#15 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Bull's_Mama View Post

Where do you get Hibiclens from?

i just got some from walgreens. i think any pharmacy has it. i tested positive too, and my MW recommends wiping with antibacterial wipes after BM's. i bought some hydrogen peroxide wipes for that purpose but have no idea if that was my best option. i was worried they would irritate the skin, but so far, so good.

#16 of 22 Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM

#17 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 AM

I tested positive with my first.  The docs used it as a tool to get me into the hospital (I couldn't get a Rx for the abx and tried several routes - my midwife has since been approved to administer it sans Rx).  I agreed to the antibiotics during labour.  They were administered about 45 minutes prior to them taking me in for a caesarean, but my water had broken.  My file indicated that it was "inadequate".  I developed a yeast infection immediately after my daughter was born and we had a lot of struggles nursing because of it.  (I have got a yeast infection EVERY time I've received antibiotics as an adult - not often, but without exception - yes, I"m aware I would have had the abx with the c/s anyway).  This time around, I have agreed to do the test, mostly because a negative test result is beneficial.  No test means they will treat you as though you are positive, and if I end up transferring to the hospital, I'm worried that I'll have enough of a battle being a VBAC.  After my last experience, I'd prefer no battles! It can be difficult to decline abx with a GBS+ status.  I opted to insert probiotic ovules recommended by my naturopath to help reduce the chances of GBS (by improving vaginal flora) and hopefully get a negative result.  I should get my results later today (hopefully), because I intend to treat far more aggressively and retest should the results be positive. If I remain positive, my intention is to only treat with antibiotics if I show other risk factors (maternal fever, prolonged rupture of membranes etc).  And, of course, look for newborn signs of infection. From what I read before, 4 hours is needed prior to birth for it to be effective anyway.  My active labour with my first only lasted 45 minutes - chances are they would be ineffective for me anyway, so certainly not worth the risk of prolonged nursing problems.  It's all about risk assessment, isn't it?

#18 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM

just got back from prenatal visit week 38. i decided to go ahead with the gbs culture, although i previously was leaning against doing it.

if it turns up positive, i will still decline penicillin (in case i transfer to the birth center), and may opt for alternative treatment. my ob told me i just have to sign a paper declining the antibiotics. it isn't a big deal here. but it is good for the pediatricians to know my test results in case baby develops a fever.

oh and i went to the bathroom right after my appointment, and when i wiped there was poop on the paper. i emailed my ob to see if i need to re-do the swab because of that.... blush.gif

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#19 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmmm...I've been taking a probiotic, but I wonder if I should do a Hibiclens wash also the morning of my test. I really want that piece of paper that says GBS - very badly. It's not a big deal considering I'm having a home birth, but on the off chance that I should transfer I don't want to be given unnecessary antibiotics.

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#20 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

This afternoon I picked up three vials of Clindamycin (I have a Penicillin allergy) in case I go that route. I probably will.

but

My labour will most likely be so swift that if I receive one dose before birth I'm sure I'll get pegged as "inadequate" as well. I wonder if there's a point? Like, is there a point in receiving that initial dose and the babe being born shortly after. No way will I get three doses. I'm currently a little fuzzy on the antibiotic protocol but will talk with the MW next week to clear all of my billion questions up. The group I'm seeing is fairly conservative in terms of bailing out on homebirth, they legally have to err on the side of caution but are perfectly fine attending me at home. My DP is one of the biggest advocates for HB that I know and at this point he's feeling very sketchy about it. He wants the baby and I to be ok. So do I! So much of the info out there is polarised, it's call 911 go to the hospital your baby is gonna die or else it's like put the magic garlic clove in your vagina and think happy thoughts. I exaggerate of course but a middle ground seems hard to come by.   

I found out about my + status during my home visit and I was so overwhelmed by this new twist that not only did I gain nothing from the visit but I didn't really know what questions to ask. So between then/now and next Thursday I plan on continuing with my reading and researching and hope that my LO doesn't make an uncharacteristically (for me) early entrance - my kids tend to be 41+ weekers and I'm 37w today. I also have an unrelated visit to our pediatrician next week so I'll talk with her as well. She's always been very cool about presenting me with info and options but never being pushy.      

I plan on asking for a re-test. I don't know if insurance will cover it or if the cost out of pocket will be an issue but I certainly plan on asking. I don't want to trick the test but I would like to turn up negative at the time of birth. In the meantime I'm taking (not all related to GBS)

EPO 

echinacea

garlic

my prenatal

vitamin c and e

fish oil

acidophilus

GSE

colloidal silver

Birth Prep

cal/mag

cranberry

Fem-Dophilus

I think that's it. Overkill? I have to keep a list of when to take what nevermind that at some point in 24 hours I either have an EPO capsule, a garlic clove or a TTO and olive oil soaked tampon in my vagina. I bought Hibiclens (picked it up @ Target by the bandages) but am unsure if i'll use it. I've also read very little on hydrogen peroxide douches and vinegar washes for the vulva. Before the GBS swab with my previous pregnancy my OB had me douche daily for a week with goldenseal. That did make me feel terribly crampy and pre-labourish far too early. I can't find a lot of info on that method but he did say he's never had a mom turn up positive. 

What else is on my mind? Being at home and having a serious reaction to the antibiotics. Not being at the hospital and left with a newborn who may or may not suffer from GBS disease rather than under the watchful eye of hospital staff. Losing my homebirth. Choosing homebirth - I'm ready! My priorities. A lot of my anxiety is, I feel, from not yet having all the knowledge I need and having to cram it all in before - any day now - I'm in labour. 

#21 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post

I haven't heard about the Grapeseed extract much in regards to GBS. Does anyone have more information on this? And for those inserting garlic, how are you doing it? I've read several different protocols. Some say to cut it, some say don't, Is there any kind of standard protocol for the garlic? I have my test a week from Friday and as I was GBS + with my last pregnancy, I really want to avoid that this time around if I can. So I'm considering doing some preemptive stuff before the test. I've been taking a probiotic off and on this entire pregnancy. So hopefully that helps!

The garlic (to the best of my knowledge) is stronger when it's cut, but it can irritate some women. I've heard you can make a few nicks in the peeled clove, or you can cut a clove in half and insert it. You can also wrap it in gauze and/or sew a piece of thread into it for easy removal. If even the nicks bother you, I'd try a whole, peeled clove. I plan to start with a few nicks in the clove, and if it doesn't bother me, then I will cut it in half. It's best to insert at night, because you might taste the garlic in your mouth (this is a good/normal side effect...it means it's working)

I think I remember reading to do this every night for 7-8 nights before the GBS test. (Which is what I will do, in addition to resuming when my due date gets closer to make sure I am negative for the birth.)

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#22 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I've been peeling the clove with a paring knife, exposing every surface and inserting morning through evening (8hrs) because I have EPO to do at bedtime, TTO to do for four afternoon hours. No irritation. I do taste the garlic but it's not very bothersome. I will say that I never understood how people "lose" things in their vagina until I inserted the clove too far and almost had to enlist help to get it out. I may have to sew a string through it if I do that trick again. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page