May Chat Thread - Week 4 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 181 Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smokering, I'm so sorry your family is having a rough time right now. hug2.gif

Sarah, three kids in the shower? LOL Is that possible? With my big belly, I can barely shower with my one.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 181 Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Smokering, I'm so sorry your family is having a rough time right now. hug2.gif

Sarah, three kids in the shower? LOL Is that possible? With my big belly, I can barely shower with my one.

I was trying to picture me in the shower with 3 as well and I just kept seeing myself turning slightly to one side and knocking kiddos over left and right.  Too funny.  I showered with DH the other day and still have to be careful to get past him to get under the water because of the huge belly.  Mine has definitely become a hazard. 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#93 of 181 Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

I was trying to picture me in the shower with 3 as well and I just kept seeing myself turning slightly to one side and knocking kiddos over left and right.  Too funny.  I showered with DH the other day and still have to be careful to get past him to get under the water because of the huge belly.  Mine has definitely become a hazard. 

This made me laugh because I just "whacked" dd's head with my belly yesterday. It's hard to judge how much space I need to turn anymore. :)

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#94 of 181 Old 05-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

*yawns* So, yesterday I did some much-needed shopping. I got a supposedly tummy-controlling singlet thing to wear PP (I'm not sure it's sturdy enough to do real squeezing, but we'll see), some new underwear, some new hankies, and splashed out on a fancy NZ-made fitted nappy for the baby. I also picked up ten fitted nappies I got online - they've been through two kids but still seem pretty sturdy. I really need more covers, though.

Today is a bit up in the air. I might have to go babysit Dad while Mum gets groceries, because my little sister's terrified to be left with him in case he faints again! My sister and BIL are down from Auckland and may or may not want to visit this afternoon. And I might need to bake a birthday cake for my other sister, because of her lunch tomorrow being cancelled. Plus, DH wants me to make him a pennant (yup, a pennant), by this afternoon. And I need to finish DD's owl dress. And I still have a cold. *yawn* And I'm thinking of inviting my friend to watch Deathly Hallows over here tonight, but only if my sister won't be visiting, and she hasn't gotten back to me.

Also, I reallyreallyreally want to organise the baby's clothes in the new chest of drawers, but it hasn't arrived yet. So I have all these bags of hand-me-downs lying around, driving me nuts! My nesting urge is being thwarted! I just cleaned out my handbag instead, but it wasn't the same.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#95 of 181 Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM

A pennant? I had to google that I'm still not quite sure what that is. redface.gif Like a flag?

I'm finally making decent progress on my end of year assignment. The last few questions look really difficult, but I feel motivated to get them over & done with now that there's an end in sight.

Weekend - I think we've made more plans than we're actually likely to have time to fit in. Swimming pool, petting zoo, weekly supermarket shop, Ikea, running errands, and a video night with friends.

Labor signs - not much happening. Last week I was predicting labor this weekend, but I seem to have jinxed it. I did have a tiny speck of mucus-y discharge this morning, which I got disproportionately excited about.

In other news, I have a pregnant friend (well, friendly acquaintance - she's DH's boss's wife) who keeps posting all kinds of opinionated nonsense about childbirth and parenting on her FB. It makes me cringe a little because I know I had some similarly ignorant beliefs before I became a parent too. Part of me feels inclined to set her straight, but I figure she might as well enjoy having all the answers while it lasts. winky.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#96 of 181 Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Yeah, a pennant's like a long vertical flag thingy. DH is making some videos for his home business, and wants to have a pennant in the background with his business logo on it (the ace of spades). Because.... why not? I'm happy to make it, it's just I still feel pretty flu-ey and have a bunch of other stuff to do.

#97 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Okay. Seriously...am I really up at 2:30am lanolizing new wool diaper covers? And I think I'd be prepping new cloth right now if my washer/dryer weren't full. Instead I restarted the dryer, which by the way is perfectly capable of drying in one cycle if certain people (meaning DH) knew how to empty the lint trap and use the proper setting and not overload it. Grrr...Anyways, when that load is dry I guess I can move over the stuff in the wash and start prepping diapers if I'm still awake and feeling insane.

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#98 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

hi crystal!

i'm awake, too. i have had bad (and the first this pg) indigestion this evening, and now a bad stomach ache... can't sleep, laying down is worse. wondering what my body is up to and if this is the beginnings of something! trying to not get my hopes up, but can't help it...

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#99 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post

Okay. Seriously...am I really up at 2:30am lanolizing new wool diaper covers? And I think I'd be prepping new cloth right now if my washer/dryer weren't full. Instead I restarted the dryer, which by the way is perfectly capable of drying in one cycle if certain people (meaning DH) knew how to empty the lint trap and use the proper setting and not overload it. Grrr...Anyways, when that load is dry I guess I can move over the stuff in the wash and start prepping diapers if I'm still awake and feeling insane.

should i lanolize my homemade wool soakers? i have nooooo idea what's involved. can you enlighten me?

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#100 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

should i lanolize my homemade wool soakers? i have nooooo idea what's involved. can you enlighten me?

Well, hello! I also have indigestion. Yuck! But I'm far enough away from my EDD that I can't even begin to get my hopes up as to this being something! Anyways, Yes, you should lanolize. Wool will not repel the urine if you don't. This helps keep baby and bedding dry. You may want to lanolize a couple of times initially prior to first use. After that, you should only have to relanolize periodically. I'm going to give you a link that will explain it better than I can. Not to mention, even though I had my instructions right in front of me, I think I kind of screwed it up. I will likely give it one more go before I consider myself done lanolizing! Here's the link!

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#101 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 05:20 AM

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

And now I'm a mess this morning. I am sooo glad this is my last pregnancy.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#102 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

......still having stomach cramps many hours later. I was able to sleep a few hours at least. Nothing is coming out. Ugh.

#103 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Yes, lanolize any wool covers you want to use with cloth dipes. Here's how I do it. I fill the sink with lukewarm water and a bit of baby wash. I take a coffee cup, fill it with hot (from the tap, not boiling) water, put in a teensy bit (pea sized) of the expired Lansinoh I have from when DS was a baby, stir until it melts, pour that into the sink water, swirl around with my hand. Then, I add the woolies to the sink. I let them chill in there for 15 or so minutes. Then, I come back and gently squeeze the water through each woolie. Drain the water. I let the woolie sit in the empty sink to drain a bit. DON'T wring them out. Then, I transfer them to a laundry basket, take them to the washer and set it for medium spin cycle. This spins out most of the water and they dry in 12ish hours. I lay them all on the drying rack until they're ready. If you have stuff with ruffles, it takes a little longer for in between there.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#104 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM

I had quite a scary day yesterday.  It was about noonish or 1 when I noticed the baby hadn't moved all day and only a little bit the day before.  I usually don't panic about these things being #6 and all so I just got into the tub and started trying to provoke movement.  I got frustrated that no matter what I did I couldn't get even a little movement.  I picked my whole belly up and shook it, pushed hard on one side then the other over and over moving her entire body in there thinking surely this would wake her and make her mad at least, but nothing.  Took a rebozo scarf and did belly sifting, lol, putting the scarft under my belly and pulling left and right really fast shaking the belly.  I still hadn't panicked at this time and just went aobut my business picturing how a few of my newborns were so sleepy sometimes I could move them about and even try to wake them and they just wouldn't be roused for longer than a few seconds. 

It was a few hours later when the midwife who is on vacation 4 hours away called.  I mentioned it to her and she said baby should be moving at least 10 times every two hours even if its not big movement since they are running out of room but just some kind of moveing.  So I was instructed to drink ice cold OJ and lay on my left side and see how long it took me to get to 10 movements, however slight.  She also asked If I just "felt" like something was wrong and I told her no (and I didn't).  So I did this and waited.  After 40 minutes I felt something that was either a gas bubble or baby but it was so faint I couldnt be sure.  I spent the second hour after no definitive movements, in the bath since that will usually get her moving.  Nothing still.  However, for some reason I started to get nervous now.  I poked and prodded and pushed and shook my belly, turned from one side to the other, you name it.  I laid still and tried to talk to her and gently rubbed, still nothing.  By the time I got out of the tub I was upset.  My midwife had said if I still couldn't get anything I needed to go get monitored just to put ours minds at ease. 

It didn't help that when I looked up kick counting and decreased baby movement I came across some stories of moms who experienced the worst case scenario of baby passing away in utero for no apparent reason at term.

So of course, I am a little freaked.  I can't get ahold of DH at work, we only have one car, and I have ALL my kids this weekend (me and ex DH share custody of our 3). So I am here alone with no ride and 5 kids and can't go to L&D.  I call my mom who tells me she is sorry but is also without a vehicle.  I call my brother and his wife and after crying to her for a moment and telling her my fears and that I haven't been able to get a single movement from baby ALL DAY LONG, NOT A SINGLE ONE! She tells me she is sorry and would help but they have her sons ball game to go to.  I almost lose and and quietly say thats okay I was just wanting to vent thanks anyway.  I am thinking meanwhile, I hope it is one heck of a game and worth it if something is actually wrong with my child because I will not forgive you anytime soon. 

I have a nice cry because of all my wonderful family support (haha) and then just as I am doing that, I feel a little nudging.  Well at least my baby who isn't even born yet is trying to comfort me, lol.  Ok, so one movement isn't perfect but its more than I got all day.  Then I go cook for the kids and get another as I am standing there.  I get one more an hour later. I am beyond relieved but midwife still wants me to gt 10 in 2 hours so around 10 DH is on his way home and I decide to go to L&D soon as he gets here with the car just to get checked out.  I drink another cold glass of OJ first and lay on my side and about 5 minutes later, she is moving like crazy.  Of course, she is stubborn all day but then 11 at night she starts feeling like preforming stunts in there.  I guess she just really didnt wanna go to the hospital, lol.

She hasn't stopped since.  She even woke me up this morning squirming around in there.  I don't know what was up with yesterday but she is making up for it today,

Still scary though!

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#105 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
 I call my brother and his wife and after crying to her for a moment and telling her my fears and that I haven't been able to get a single movement from baby ALL DAY LONG, NOT A SINGLE ONE! She tells me she is sorry and would help but they have her sons ball game to go to.  I almost lose and and quietly say thats okay I was just wanting to vent thanks anyway.  I am thinking meanwhile, I hope it is one heck of a game and worth it if something is actually wrong with my child because I will not forgive you anytime soon. 

Wow.  Just wow.  That's awful!  I'm so glad it was just a scare and that your baby decided to wake up.  Maybe on the bright side this will mean she's a good sleeper?????

That does make me remember that I need to make sure I get some back-up help just in case the one set of people we have lined up can't make it for some reason. . . .

#106 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

hug2.gif so sorry, sharita! that is really scary. i was crocheting for hours a couple days ago, and as i looked back on my day, i thought i hadn't felt much movement. i totally freaked out and it hadn't even been a few hours. so i can't imagine how you must have felt. e get so vigilant at this stage. and the fears are just there lurking. i think it is totally normal, but not easy.

#107 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 10:29 AM

sharita, I'm so sorry you had that scare, and so glad the baby started moving again! I can't believe nobody in your family would help you though!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#108 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Sharita-- So glad that everything is ok! You had me worried there for a little bit!

I woke up last night with terrible stomach pains and --- diarrhea. OMG. I never get this. I am praying it was the food b/c after being up all night and then still having to run to the bathroom even now, I am NOT in the mood to be birthing a baby. 

P.S. Thanks for reminding me that I need to lanolize all my new wool--- eek! 

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#109 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Sharita, I'm so sorry!  And how horrible to feel so stuck!  I had a similar scare a few weeks ago. It was awful.  I had gotten out of the shower and was laying on my back massaging my tummy with coconut oil.  The baby convulsed dramatically and, at first, it made me laugh (I have a baby that moves A LOT).  Then there was no movement. And no amount of movement or palpation would make the baby respond, kick, or anything.  I really started to freak out when I realized I had been laying on my back.  I finally called DH and told him I couldn't get the baby to move after a dramatic convulsion, and we needed to go to the hospital.  I called my midwife (30 minutes away, the hospital was 7), but she didn't answer (she had gone briefly out of cell phone range JUST at the moment I called).  The whole way to the hospital I was praying that I was a crazy worried mama and pushing on my belly.  JUST as we pulled into the hospital parking lot, the baby started squirming and kicking and we sat there letting the baby move around, before going home.  Later, my midwife met me in the hospital parking lot again (I felt like I was doing some funny undercover deal, but she's not licensed to work in a hospital nor did I feel the need for the hospital drama at that point) and did a quick dopplar check of the heartbeat (I usually request a fetascope).  It was 140.  Phew!  I was exhausted for the rest of the day.  The adrenaline had just worn me out.  I am so thankful that none of those awful stories about babies strangulating on their own cords or something had happened in our case. :(

Smokering, I am sorry that your family is going through so much!  I hope things are better now.  My dad is a preacher too, and I have 3 brothers, 26, 13, and 9.  When I heard scoliosis, it made me think of the wonderful exercise program I've been doing called T-Tapp.  The woman who developed it had scoliosis as a teenager and went into physical therapy as a profession.  She developed all these exercise moves that help take the pain away, and they are wonderful for healing and strengthening the rest of the body too.  Anyway, I don't know but that might be something you'd be interested in.

Yesterday was a long hot day of shopping and visiting the midwife with my mother.  It was a good appointment.  We talked about my last birth, and I cried. :)  Immediately afterwords, we went out for flip-flops because my feet are too swollen for my shoes. :(  My midwife wants me to up the protein, so I am now drinking yummy shakes everyday. Mmm!  BP is great and the swelling goes down when I elevate my feet, so I am pretty sure this is just a late pregnancy thing, but no fun!  Then last night while DH and my dad changed brake pads on his car, my young brothers and I vacuumed and washed mine.  It needed it BADLY, I found teething biscuits between the seats, and my daughter has had all her teeth for almost a year!  I felt so good to be doing something towards my "nesting list".  Then I had consistent BH, probably every 4 minutes or so for a couple of hours.  I tried to drink several glasses of tea and water and go to bed and I slept through them, so they didn't go anywhere.  I am pretty sure I was just tired and dehydrated.  But it did make me think, okay, what if I DID go into labor tonight!  Not enough labor food, the pool is still dirty, and there is no adapter for the hose to fill up the tub.  So I guess those are our short term goals.  I think I am going to buy some of the essential birth food (I have my heart set on a mini cheesecake with strawberries for after the birth) and put it in the freezer. 

I hope this is a good weekend.  DH hasn't had a day off in a long time.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#110 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Sharita that sounds so scary! I'm glad everything is okay. I sometimes go for hours and hours without feeling baby move, and then I realize that I've been so involved in the stuff I've been doing that he probably has been moving, I just didn't notice it. I have a doppler at home and I've pulled it out twice to make sure that I could still find FHTs and hear the cord.

Smokering, I'm so sorry to hear about all the hard times your family is going through. Your poor dad, what an ordeal! And your mom  having to deal with major surgery for her daughter while her husband is sick... ugh. Hopefully everyone will be fine soon and you can also relax a little. Of course... you'll probably have a newborn right about that time...

AFM: My mom got some super awesome deals on furniture at a yard sale today. Woo hoo!!! Two solid wood dressers (one of which is almost identical to one that I already have in my room), a nice wooden chair with an upholstered seat, a solid wood shoe rack that is taller than me, and a solid wood twin head board and footboard that coordinates with the dresser that matches mine. All of that for only $65!! Dressers are impossible to come by it seems, so when we find wood ones we buy them, even if we're not sure exactly where they'll go.

Today it is HOT here. So I am hiding out inside my house with the AC going while my mom has my kids and my sister's kids (we're watching them until this evening) at the pool in my sister's subdivision. DS's team lost their last game this morning after they had to do an extra inning to break a tie. DD bailed on her last game because she wanted to swim with the cousins instead. I was a bad mommy and lied to the coach to get her out of the game. I know she doesn't *have* to play and I could just say that she doesn't want to stand in a dirt pile for 75 minutes when it's 102 outside, but I feel less bad telling coach that DD sprained her ankle. I'm going to hell.

Now that I've had lunch and time to relax in this super quiet house, I think I'll go lie down for a bit and rest horizontally.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#111 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 03:17 PM

I've just caught up on May, having been sporadically reading but never getting through. You all have had a lot of crazy stuff going on! it makes me feel less alone, my work has been crazy and i have been sooooo tired. glad for the lanolizing reminders, too. i am so jealous of all you GBS neg ladies, mine came back positive AND i have another yeast infection, and the mw said having yeast infection can make the tissues more susceptible to tearing b/c they're not in as good condition- irritated, etc. So I'm on the yeast medication and not eating any desserts or chocolate and taking grapefruit seed extract. i think when the yeast cream is done i will do an uncut garlic clove at night for healing/prevention. my mw doesn't retest for gbs though, so i'll have to get the antibiotics when i go to the hospital. this is also a good reminder just to wait as long as possible before going to the hosp, and to bring a lot of good probiotic snacks for during and after.  esp b/c the antibiotics could bring back this yeast i keep getting. this didn't happen with my first- maybe it's just the warmer weather contributing, or my greater desire for/consumption of sweets? ugh.

Rylee, beautiful baby! i know i'm late, but was excited about your news. hope to be seeing a lot of baby photos/birth stories in the next few weeks.

-hilary

#112 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 PM

How scary to not feel movement all day! I didn't feel movement the other morning for about an hour and a half, and that was rather unnerving because usually the womb-dweller is up and around when I am. I would be freaking out too if it went on all day. And the "we have to go to a ball game".... wtf, seriously! UGH.

#113 of 181 Old 05-28-2011, 03:55 PM

Sharita: a ball game? Seriously? That's awful! Priorities, people... I'm glad baby finally decided to kick! It's probably just as well I'm too flaky to notice when my baby kicks - it's pretty sporadic and patchy, with huge bouts of movement and then hours and hours of nothing, but it doesn't really occur to me to do kick counts or whatever. I do obsessively palpate my tummy though, making sure he's still vertex...

Had a good night yesterday! My sister and BIL came down and spent the afternoon; DH and our flatmate usually head off on Saturday nights to watch movies at a friend's house, but he was away, so we were all together. We decided to go out for dinner, and (despite choosing a popular restaurant on a Saturday night and having to wait a long time for our food) had a lovely time. DD scored a free drink *and* a free dessert, just because the waitress thought she was cute. :p

Today we're skipping church, because we still have traces of lurgy and also I can't deal with a thousand comments along the lines of "How's your sister's back?", "How's your father's back?" and "Haven't you had that baby yet?". This afternoon I have to take a birthday cake to Mum's for my little sister's birthday, so that she'll get some kind of celebration despite not being able to go out for lunch. Not sure what kind of cake yet...

JosieAK: I'll mention T-Tapp to my mother. She's been looking into a lot of alternative therapies and stuff - my sister's doing Pilates at the moment. Unfortunately the scoliosis is pretty dramatic and has gotten WAY worse really quickly - we compared photos of a few months back with now, and yikes. So I suspect nothing less than surgery will really fix it. She has two curves, one at the top and a much more severe one at the bottom of her spine. If they just do the one surgery they'll go in through her back, but if they do two they'll have to go in through her chest as well. I hope it doesn't come to that - what fifteen-year-old girl wants a big scar all over her chest? (Or back, I suppose, but she seems to be OK with that. Actually she's being remarkably chill about the whole thing; I'm always impressed that my family managed to produce such a normal, well-balanced child. Fifth time lucky, I guess!)

Unfortunately, we were planning a trip to Disneyland at the end of this year - me, DH and our kiddies, plus that sister (and another sister who lives in England was going to fly there and meet us). Little sis asked the doctor about Disneyland a few months after surgery, and she probably wouldn't be able to go on all the rides.... and from my research, some of the jerky ones are the most fun (ie. Indiana Jones). So we might have to postpone the trip. Although, we might have had to anyway - DH's business isn't doing so great at the moment, so I'm not sure we could afford the trip by December anyway. The good part is, if we wait an extra year CarsLand will be open in DCA; the bad part is, we planned this baby around going in December. :p Six months would have been a really good time to take him! So now we might have to wait until he's out of the toddler stage, like DD's age, which is ages away, and I really wanted to go!

Oh well. I realise people in the world have worse problems. :p It's just hard being a a theoretical travelphile who's never actually been anywhere. And my England sister will be sad not to see our baby! She works for a charity, so can't fly back at the drop of a hat - and I think she's sick of spending all her holidays travelling back to NZ anyway, when she wants to be touring Europe. But she loves babies...

#114 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Sharita - I'm so sorry went through all that!! I've had one or two days like that too and it's awful. What a nightmare. I hope your SIL apologises. What a thoughtless thing to do! hug2.gif

Argh I'm so annoyed with DH! He made a bunch of promises about taking DD to the pool yesterday, and the petting zoo today, then did neither. I have no idea why I let him get my hopes up, seeing as he lets me down nearly every time. Every single weekend is the same: he sleeps in until 1pm, gets up complaining about how tired he is (!!), then decides he has something he desperately needs to do, leaving me alone with DD for the entire day. I'm so utterly sick of it. I've come to dread weekends.

Then this afternoon he was going to go to the supermarket with his brother, and I asked him to please take DD with him as it would be her last chance to get out of the house today. I can't take her out by myself because my SPD is so bad that I can barely walk, let alone wrangle a 3 year old who thinks it's hilarious to run off at every possible opportunity. And of course he put up a huge fight about it, whining that he had so much to do today and that I couldn't have it all, and generally being incredibly condescending towards me in front of his brother. WTH? I've been up with DD since 8am, baked muffins, done dishes and laundry, and I'm 9 months pregnant. Yet two grown men can't handle one 3 year old between them for 40 minutes?? And if he had so much to do maybe he should have gotten up before 1-freakin'-pm!  Grrr...

/rant

#115 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Sharita- So sorry for the scare! As for your in-laws...just WOW! Words can't describe.

I'm trying to stay positive. After Friday's antics I'm trying to ignore my body until it decides to actually do something.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#116 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

hug2.gif that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Sharita - I'm so sorry went through all that!! I've had one or two days like that too and it's awful. What a nightmare. I hope your SIL apologises. What a thoughtless thing to do! hug2.gif

Argh I'm so annoyed with DH! He made a bunch of promises about taking DD to the pool yesterday, and the petting zoo today, then did neither. I have no idea why I let him get my hopes up, seeing as he lets me down nearly every time. Every single weekend is the same: he sleeps in until 1pm, gets up complaining about how tired he is (!!), then decides he has something he desperately needs to do, leaving me alone with DD for the entire day. I'm so utterly sick of it. I've come to dread weekends.

Then this afternoon he was going to go to the supermarket with his brother, and I asked him to please take DD with him as it would be her last chance to get out of the house today. I can't take her out by myself because my SPD is so bad that I can barely walk, let alone wrangle a 3 year old who thinks it's hilarious to run off at every possible opportunity. And of course he put up a huge fight about it, whining that he had so much to do today and that I couldn't have it all, and generally being incredibly condescending towards me in front of his brother. WTH? I've been up with DD since 8am, baked muffins, done dishes and laundry, and I'm 9 months pregnant. Yet two grown men can't handle one 3 year old between them for 40 minutes?? And if he had so much to do maybe he should have gotten up before 1-freakin'-pm!  Grrr...

/rant

#117 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

/rant

Nope, no apology, though she did call after they got home to tell me that I shouldn't worry since it is perfectly normal for babies not to move at all as far along as I am.  um...Whaaaa?  Since when?  So I sweetly told her that midwife and Drs and everything I read online said yes, they are more crowded so the big kicks may be muted a bit but they still should move at least 10 times in two hours its just different movement now that they are so squished in there.  I guess she was trying to make herself feel better?  I dont know.  So glad it all turned out good too because when she was telling me, sorry, we have a ballgame to go to, I was thinking, I will hate you for life if things aren't okay with my baby and you chose to go to a ball game, lol.

She really isn't a selfish person usually I think she just wasn't thinking, who knows.  She is going through a lot right now with a very out of control teen daughter who keeps trying to get my brother in trouble and split them up since she feels life will be easier for her if she has her mom to herself for some reason (though all she does is run the streets anyway so when would she take advantage of that time).  I may just be making excuses for her because no matter how you look at it, the right thing to do seemed obvious yet she seemed to miss it.

Oh well.

Snowflake, I can also relate to the SPD.  I have it so bad I can barely get around.  I went to the chiro and by the time I got home, to my amazement, I could actually lift my legs to put pants on without pain.  Ironically though, the next day it wwas back worse than before!!!!  When I finally manage to manuver out of bed 5 times a night to pee, I have to limp and barely can walk to the bathroom after laying for so long.  Its worse if I dont sleeep with a pillow between my knees for stability.  I will be so glad when I can walk like a normal person again.

Also sorry your DH was being such a selfish, well, "guy" today, lol.  Mine has his days too where he forgets that he gets out all  the time and I am confined here and all the physical stress I am under.  I had to beg for weeks to get the half-hearted foot rub I got last night.  I did him a favor and he owed me this but took forever to pay up and only did because I sat next to him and literally just threw my feet in his lap, lol. 

My feet were so swollen last night and the veins on top of them so varicosed that they throbbed!  Hands too.  When I try and bend my toes down or fingers they burn and are so tight from all the swelling.  Can't get any sympathy from DH though because he goes to work an hour away and is on his feet (works at the railroad) for 8 hours.  And?  I am carrying a complete human inside my body who is literally parasitically living off of my nutrients sometimes depleting me of mine making me feel horrible and run down not to mention how uncomfortable it is to share my body with another human, lol.  the list of aches and pains is too great to go into.  Then, there is the prodromal labor where my body is ready to rid itself of its parasite (I know, how affectionately I am referring to my baby, lolololol) and is gearing up for that in tons of painful and frustrating starts and stops where I haven't had a solid BM in weeks, can't even move without triggering a contraction, and can't keep my belly covered anymore at this point as it hangs so low even my longest maternity shirt doesn't cover it. 

And then he has the nerve to tell me he would like to switch with me for a day.  HAHAHAHHA.  He couldn't handle it!!!!!!

Sidenote, I am really starting to wonder why every other pregnancy of mine I have seen a little mucus by now, even if its just stringy clear stuff but absolutely nothing this time around.  Usually by 37 weeks I have seen something.  Not a single thing so far, even after a few cervical checks.  I know it means nothing but still it would be nice to have some of the usual signs my body will eject this baby soon, lol.

#118 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 04:18 PM

So sorry to hear so many mamas are having trouble with their DHs hug2.gifMy only complaint is that he is already talking about how exhausted HE'S going to be. WTH?! I've been the one getting up EVERY day and night for the past 2 years w/ DD (who until recently got up at 5am every day). He never even got up to change her after she pooped at night back when she was a baby. His reason? He has to work while I get one year mat leave. Ummm...I'm working too, buddy, at home. Which is why I get to do all the housework and cooking when I'm home with DD...grrr...

AFM: I AM SO FREAKIN SICK OF RAIN!!! It's been raining for 2 weeks straight now, as well as ALL of April. It got briefly sunny this aft, so I took DD for a looong walk, but now it's clouding over again. ARRGH!  Also, DD has developed a strange set of random circular scabs on her body, trying not to worry too much...I hope it's not anything serious, but I will be taking her to the Dr. this week just in case.  I also started mat leave as of this weekend :)  Apart from that, am just working on getting the last of my pre-baby essentials this week so that we can hunker (sp?) down after this LO arrives and just enjoy time as a family. I actually found Witch Hazel at our local Wal Mart today, for under 3$, so I don't have to go to the over-priced natural food store and pay an arm and a leg for it. I know  it's probably not as good, but I figure its still better than what I had last time round, which was nothing, lol. I have not had ANY prodromal labour yet, so I figure I'm good for another few weeks, still. The LATEST I could potentially go is June 25, 42w, so at least I've got an end date in mind :p 

Next weekend is the Great Canadian Cheese Festival, which I'd REALLY like to go to, but am hesitant to do so, since it's a 3 hour drive there and back, so we'd probably spend the night, and I worry about the "what ifs" if I went into labour. What would you do??? I will be 39w next Saturday...

Also, I'm kinda motivated to start sewing my own mama cloth, to use in tandem with disposables, after hearing about a few of you ladies doing it. I have some old receiving blankets which I could use to make a few, and some Kushies flannel boosters which I am thinking would be a perfect pattern/lightweight pad. How many layers would you use to make a heavyweight pad? For the underneath, do you add a layer of PUL fabric or smthg to prevent leaks? What about wings? Would you add some? I'm curious to try one of the cups later on for my period, but postpartum I want NOTHING in there. And traditional pads gave me killer diaper rash last time around, because of the moisture being trapped there constantly for sooo long.  One of the many reasons why I cloth diaper my babies ;p

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#119 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Lidamama84: I use cloth pads, although I haven't had to use them for postpartum yet. I used leftover scraps from the cloth pocket nappies Mum sewed for DD - so a PUL underlayer, yes. Then just a cotton layer for the top (pretty floral stuff, 'cause why not?), and polar fleece/microfleece for the layers. I'm not sure that was the best "stuffing" choice, but it was all I had and the pads work OK. I added wings, and sewed a press-stud on them so they could snap closed securely around my underwear - I highly recommend that! For the shape, you can find templates online, but I just made them up - some longer, some shorter, some thinner and thicker, for different purposes (and so they'd fit on the PUL scraps!). I need to make some more "heavyweight" ones for PP, as most of mine are just medium-weight. I topstitched channels on them, too. You're supposed to chuck 'em in a hot dryer after sewing to shrink up the stitching and keep the PUL waterproof, but I didn't have a dryer back then and they've worked fine. The occasional leak, but no worse than cloth pads (and I HATE tampons and menstrual cups with a searing hatred).

I'd probably risk going to the cheese festival. Cheese is awesome. :) I'm planning to go to the NZ Food Show in Auckland when this baby's two months old or so... which won't be unproblematic, but hey, FOOD!

#120 of 181 Old 05-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Nope, no apology, though she did call after they got home to tell me that I shouldn't worry since it is perfectly normal for babies not to move at all as far along as I am.  um...Whaaaa?  Since when?  So I sweetly told her that midwife and Drs and everything I read online said yes, they are more crowded so the big kicks may be muted a bit but they still should move at least 10 times in two hours its just different movement now that they are so squished in there.  I guess she was trying to make herself feel better?  I dont know.  So glad it all turned out good too because when she was telling me, sorry, we have a ballgame to go to, I was thinking, I will hate you for life if things aren't okay with my baby and you chose to go to a ball game, lol.

That's pretty lame. You're right, it sounds like she was trying to justify herself and make herself feel better. It's annoying when people do that instead of just apologising. So silly.

Quote:

Also sorry your DH was being such a selfish, well, "guy" today, lol.  Mine has his days too where he forgets that he gets out all  the time and I am confined here and all the physical stress I am under.  I had to beg for weeks to get the half-hearted foot rub I got last night.  I did him a favor and he owed me this but took forever to pay up and only did because I sat next to him and literally just threw my feet in his lap, lol. 

My feet were so swollen last night and the veins on top of them so varicosed that they throbbed!  Hands too.  When I try and bend my toes down or fingers they burn and are so tight from all the swelling.  Can't get any sympathy from DH though because he goes to work an hour away and is on his feet (works at the railroad) for 8 hours.  And?  I am carrying a complete human inside my body who is literally parasitically living off of my nutrients sometimes depleting me of mine making me feel horrible and run down not to mention how uncomfortable it is to share my body with another human, lol.  the list of aches and pains is too great to go into.  Then, there is the prodromal labor where my body is ready to rid itself of its parasite (I know, how affectionately I am referring to my baby, lolololol) and is gearing up for that in tons of painful and frustrating starts and stops where I haven't had a solid BM in weeks, can't even move without triggering a contraction, and can't keep my belly covered anymore at this point as it hangs so low even my longest maternity shirt doesn't cover it. 

And then he has the nerve to tell me he would like to switch with me for a day.  HAHAHAHHA.  He couldn't handle it!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidamama84 View Post

So sorry to hear so many mamas are having trouble with their DHs hug2.gifMy only complaint is that he is already talking about how exhausted HE'S going to be. WTH?! I've been the one getting up EVERY day and night for the past 2 years w/ DD (who until recently got up at 5am every day). He never even got up to change her after she pooped at night back when she was a baby. His reason? He has to work while I get one year mat leave. Ummm...I'm working too, buddy, at home. Which is why I get to do all the housework and cooking when I'm home with DD...grrr...

Men!

I'm feeling extra anxious about our relationship at the moment because we hit rock bottom after DD1 was born. Long story short, he didn't help out at all the first two years of her life, and I'm seriously terrified it's going to be the same a second time. I get knots in my stomach just thinking about it. Now anything he does that even vaguely resembles his past behaviour sends me into a panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Lidamama84: I use cloth pads, although I haven't had to use them for postpartum yet. I used leftover scraps from the cloth pocket nappies Mum sewed for DD - so a PUL underlayer, yes. Then just a cotton layer for the top (pretty floral stuff, 'cause why not?), and polar fleece/microfleece for the layers. I'm not sure that was the best "stuffing" choice, but it was all I had and the pads work OK. I added wings, and sewed a press-stud on them so they could snap closed securely around my underwear - I highly recommend that! For the shape, you can find templates online, but I just made them up - some longer, some shorter, some thinner and thicker, for different purposes (and so they'd fit on the PUL scraps!). I need to make some more "heavyweight" ones for PP, as most of mine are just medium-weight. I topstitched channels on them, too. You're supposed to chuck 'em in a hot dryer after sewing to shrink up the stitching and keep the PUL waterproof, but I didn't have a dryer back then and they've worked fine. The occasional leak, but no worse than cloth pads (and I HATE tampons and menstrual cups with a searing hatred).

I'm the opposite - I LOATHE pads!

I ordered some mama cloth for postpartum and I'm hoping they'll be less uncomfortable than disposables. They look nice and soft, but the one thing that's worrying me is that they look like they're going to be really hot to wear. Like a polar fleece jacket for my lady bits. We'll see how it goes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page