May Chat Thread - Week 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we are getting close, mamas!

last week's thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1313295/may-chat-thread-week-3

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#2 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Subbing. smile.gif

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#3 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yikes. May has gone by fast! It's exciting though how close we are all getting! I'm looking forward to feeling empowered reading all of the lovely birth stories as I await my turn to have my first ever natural birth and home birth!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#4 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM

I know!  I am due the 1st but I am sure there will be quite a few other moms reporting their births before I even have any exciting prelabor symptoms, lol.  I am still managing to not be in a hurry though which is awesome.  I am usually so done at this point.  I will be 39 weeks on Wed.  I just don't really feel close.  I sure hope she comes by due date though but since that would be so convenient since DH will have his vacation and Ill have help then, she probably wont and will wait till he goes back to work and Im alone, lol.  All my girls were 2weeks late.  My boys were right around their due date.  One right on, the other 3 days after.  My first was elective induction so he dont count in getting to chose his own b-day poor thing.

I am having a lot more BH and am finally drinking my RRL tea twice a day instead of twice a week, haha.  No other signs though.  I do remember that because the previous two were two weeks late, when my son was due, I was just sure he would be 2 weeks late too so didnt even look for him to come and was actually in denial when I was in labor.  Maybe the fact that I dont feel it will be soon is just denial again, lol.  Maybe she will take me by surprise.  Either way, its fun and frustrating at the same time wondering when it will happen.  Right now its still fun.  Another two weeks and probably wont be. :P

I still have to go to the store and get my hose, faucet adapter, newborn or size 1 diapers (cant decide and really dont wanna get both) and pads for myself though I know I will spend 30 mins trying to decide what to get there also.

Those are the only 4 things left to get for my homebirth.  Everything else is neatly packed into my sterlite plastic tote/tub.  Im almost ready!  Maybe that is all she is waiting on ;)

Any tips of pads for PP?  I think last time I used incontinence pads since they were thicker but unsure this time.  I tend to have a really heavy flow and leak if the pad isnt thick/wide/and long enough so no regular period pads for me.

Also, should I do the newborn or just skip to size 1 diapers?  I am expecting a 9 lber.  upper 8's at least but probably 9.  I cant cloth diaper (I dont have a washer dryer we have to go to laundromat every other week and that still isnt often enough)

No clue.  I think last time my 8 lber wore the newborns for a week then we went to size one.  Not sure if its even worth buying a small package of them.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#5 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Wow! The end of May! This is just crazy. I am only 35 weeks so it seems like I still have a long road ahead of me - but I'll take it! I am not ready!!!! Actually, for all intents and purposes, I am totally ready - just struggling with the emotional side of things. Everything is done in prep for the birth and newborn - I washed the birth pool today and everything else is organized and ready to go. I have to print out some lists for DH with regards to what he will need to get done immediately when I go into labor, but other than that - everything is totally set. Now if I could only wrap my brain around the idea that an actual baby will be arriving in a few weeks... headscratch.gif

Sharita - I would go with 1 or 2 packs of the newborn diapers - they have that nice cutout thing for the cord and really - at that age you are going through them so fast that a pack or two can't really last more than a few days. Then you can decide which size you think will fit better. With DS1 we did disposables for the first 3 months and I could not believe how many we went through!! It was insane!

I can't wait to hear more birth stories! joy.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Oh, if I am not getting close I don't know what to do.  I am getting really really bitchy.  Which isn't like me at all.  My kids annoy me, my husband annoys me, the dog even does (and that is unheard of).  I need to nap no matter what every day.  And if I don't get my nap it's no good.  

The thing is, I am not mentally ready for labor.  I was having lots of baby movement that was labor like last night and every time I was waiting for my water to break.  And when I would think that I would tense.  Now, labor isn't very effective if mom is too tense.  So I had to really work at positive affirmations last night and I think I need to practice them several times a day.  

I was supposed to have a mw appt today and she emailed me at 330 am then texted me at 7:45 to cancel as she was headed to a birth. And I have to say I was thrilled. Not that I don't adore my midwife, I adore her but I was so so so happy to not have to deal with the appt when I was so tired.  

Instead I met a friend at the park.  I am about to hang out some diapers and plant a few annuals, now that I have had my nap and DDs are both asleep.  Maybe my ds will appreciate the company outside;)

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#7 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Sharita, I would go with the newborn diapers. You can always get a small pack of each size that way you don't have 200 of a size that doesn't work for you. I have some newborn diapers (disposables) that were given to me by a friend and I also got a box of size 1 from Costco. I'm doing cloth also, but since I've never done cloth before I wanted to have the disposables just in case. For PP pads I always use the Always Overnights for heavy flow and they work great. But for the first few days I use Depends. They just seem to work better for me.

Max'sMama, I totally feel you on the being bitchy thing. I yelled at a total stranger in the parking garage when I was trying to park to go to my MW appt this afternoon. This woman was driving sooooooo freaking slow and then she tried to back up into my car!! GRRRR. And then I went to the Dollar Tree for some books and snacks and there was this woman blocking the aisle who was completely oblivious to the fact that she was in my way and wouldn't move. I finally snapped at her and said, "Would it be possible for you to move your cart over?"

Now I'm home and feeling like all I want to do is take a nap, but I have a stronger urge to clean and vacuum even though I'm tired.

Anyhoo... today was my 37w MW appt and it went really well. I saw one of the MWs that isn't my favorite, but she didn't try to tell me anything stupid this time or do anything to me that I didn't want done. I saw a tube of lube on the counter and figured that I'd have to tell her that she wasn't doing a cervical check on me. But she didn't even suggest it. Yay for not telling her that I've been contracting since Friday afternoon! lol   My BP was 120/60, baby's HR was 140, and I'm measuring at 36w which is the same as last week. That tells me that he's dropped even further into my pelvis just like I thought he did.

My sister also came over earlier and helped me move some furniture around and fix this rug in my room that keeps getting wrinkled and it makes me NUTS. Now it's weighted down by more furniture so it shouldn't be moving at all. And I have a rocking chair back in my room so I can either sit in my arm chair or my rocking chair with baby once he comes.

Okay... off to finish cleaning the kitchen and my room. And I'll probably do more laundry and vacuum whatever I can because for some reason our floors are driving me insane lately.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#8 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Jenni-- I must say that is sounds like you are nesting like CRAZY! It really sounds like you are getting close. Wish I had half the energy. . . 

Max's Mama-- I've been having mental blocks too, and I know it's not a good thing. My daughter came two weeks late two years ago and I still feel responsible. I know I was sending lots of tense, "I'm not ready" type messages to her. Now I am trying really hard to be calm and ready, but now that I know the havoc a newborn can wreak (not to mention the er, intensity of natural childbirth) so it's even harder to fake "ready." Sigh. I did finally let my hubby get some action again this weekend, which was really nice for me, too. I've been abstaining the last month for fear it would start labor (which is hilarious as we were childless so still doing it constantly last time around, including multiple times a day post-dates haha). So I consider it an accomplishment over my fears that we're back in the game, however hilarious and uncomfortable it may be :). 

Sharita- Do you have a good consignment store near you that might have some half-used packs of the NB size? There are a bunch around here that seem to always have packs, and they're cheaper that way and not as much of a commitment... I am CDing again but will probably buy a half-pack just to ease my worries. My babes are teeny though-- my DD was in NB for months, so what do I know... 

I had my 39 week MW appointment today (well, 38 weeks, 4 days or 39 weeks, 4 days depending on US or cycle) and all is still going really well. Met the second student midwife who will be attending my birth and I really like her. All three ladies are lovely, and I can now picture them all, so I'm getting excited about that. My MW pulled my 23-month-old into her lap and chatted with her, and she loved that. It also made me feel all warm and fuzzy as she is sometimes a little too all business for my taste. I adore her-- she caught my daughter, but she is just no-nonsense to the point of almost coldness sometimes and, especially in the immediate lead-up to labor, I tend to crave a little hand-holding. I guess that's what my hubby is for. 

My little one moved into a better position, which is good. She's anterior now, and super low. (No cervix checks yet and I don't know how to do it myself.) I've been doing tons of cat-cows to make up for all the bad posture I have while carting my toddler around on my hip, so I'm really glad that helped. I have so much pressure from her head right now, I feel ready for a BM 24-hours a day. So that may help get me mentally ready for a birth!

Mamas, I know some of you mention affirmations and relaxation and music. I would love to hear more about what you find most inspiring/motivating! Last time around I was constantly reading-- Ina May and other positive natural childbirth stuff, along with some Bradley and others. This time, I've really done nothing except watch a few lovely birth videos (though hypnobabies has been waiting for me at the library for four days now). Any recommendations on fabulous reading/podcasts/music? 

Shawna

Blogging SAHM to daughters Q (6/09) and R (6/11). computergeek2.gif

#9 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Whoops, didn't see there was a new thread!

Today might be interesting. I have a MW appt in 45 minutes - a long one, because I have to interview her for my article on homebirth safety (which is due in, like, three days! Eep!). She'll check the baby's position, and if he's still un-vertex, will probably schedule a version. I'm not looking forward to it.

The good news is, I feel slightly less gross and flu-ish. I managed to do one inversion yesterday - I know I should be doing more, but turning yourself upside down with a runny nose, sore throat and killer heartburn? Not fun. I've also backed off on my third trimester tea, because I couldn't be bothered. Yesterday the only beverage I could stomach was sips of milk - I drank, like, four glasses during the day. Very odd. I did get around to making some chicken soup,and I've been hitting the vitamin D pretty hard - not the vitamin C though, it's too acidic and makes my throat really hurt. Still, it's been a long time now since I threw up, so yay!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 PM

Smokering- here's to hoping your babe is vertex!

Shawna- for my affirmations it is mainly along the lines of,

"I am ready for this labor.  It will be beautiful.  I can do this."

"Opening like a rose.  Petal by petal.  Relax.  Open.  Relax.  We are ready to do this."

"I can do this"   Repeat Repeat Repeat.  

Actually during my first homebirth, second child.  I remember hearing myself say I can't do it.  And mid labor forced myself to say 'I can do this' repeatedly.  I vaguely remember the midwives and DH getting a chuckle out of itlol.gif

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#11 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM

Smokering- I hated the inversions too.  I just couldn't breath through them so after my first one, about 15 seconds in, I gave up.  Good thing baby decided to turn anyway because she was getting no help from me that way. 

Shawna, I also like my midwifes or even Dr's for that matter to be really gentle, fun, good sense of humor and such.  My midwife last time held my hand during transition.  She just sat there, not saying a word (I needed intense silence) and I leaned over the side of the pool and as each one started, I just grabbed her hand and held on as I let it run its course.  Then I would let go and just regroup then start all over again.  It was just what I needed.  My toddler was automatically assigned to a pediatrician after last birth who I knew from experience to be really cold and barelly makes eye contact and short with you.  I wasn't thrilled.  However, my baby got severely jaundiced and we had to be seen days after birth and I was surprised how very low interventive he was.  He also was very pro-breastfeeding and though his colleague suggested supplementing and even a night or two under the lamps in the nicu to get it to go down (it got very very high after days of checking it was still rising) he told me just keep breastfeeding and told me I could do the biliblanket phototherapy at home instead.  I really appreciated his approach and decided that though he didn't have the friendliest bed-side mannor, we were well fitted as far as the rest goes.  It took me by surprise.  I guess I just expect someone who is kind of distant and cold to be on a completely different page as me but that isn't always the case I suppose.  Glad though that I got a very opposite type midwife. 

Though... She tells me she will be out of town on her one and only vacation in yrs with her kids and grandkids the 27th, 28th and will be home late night 29th.  Okay, I am due june 1st.  Scary!!!!!  She tells me though "These things have a way of working themselves out.  Just don't go into labor those days." and she says it so matter-of-factly that I just laugh.  Sure, okay, I will just make sure to go either before or after those days I tell her and smile.  She does have a back up but I never met her.  I am not worried about it though, I am sure she is wonderful as well and either way, I am in charge not a midwife so it really doesn't matter.  She did tell me her back up lives a bit farther from me than she does so I should call the moment I know I am in labor no matter how slow I feel its going (I have a history of very fast labors (3 hours, 4, 6, and 2) so yeah, unless I am UCing I better call.  Who knows, I may just get my dream UC by accident anyway, lol.

Kind of off topic, but I just gotta say, with this nice weather I am having I just wanna go sit on my patio as the sun sets in the afternoon and sip a mojito, or a nice frozen margarita.  Can't wait!!! 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#12 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Yay! Baby is vertex! I couldn't believe it, because I've been feeling kicks WAY over on one side of my uterus - but I guess he just has long legs. The MW was pretty confident about it. He's even pretty well engaged. So I need to start some deep squats and tie a sarong around my middle and all that jazz, to keep him in place.

The bad news is that I got the backup MW today because my MW was at a birth - not a problem, except that I was meant to interview her for my HB article at today's appointment! I did ask the backup MW if she'd consent to be interviewed instead - she's very articulate about birth, we had a lovely conversation about oxytocin - but she wasn't keen. Hopefully my MW will get hold of me this afternoon. I'm just getting a tad nervy, because the article's due in a few days! I did borrow a couple of cool birth books from the MW though, including one by Michel Odent.

#13 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

joy.gifyay for vertex babies!!!

sorry about the interview. i hope you get inspired to write quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Yay! Baby is vertex! I couldn't believe it, because I've been feeling kicks WAY over on one side of my uterus - but I guess he just has long legs. The MW was pretty confident about it. He's even pretty well engaged. So I need to start some deep squats and tie a sarong around my middle and all that jazz, to keep him in place.

The bad news is that I got the backup MW today because my MW was at a birth - not a problem, except that I was meant to interview her for my HB article at today's appointment! I did ask the backup MW if she'd consent to be interviewed instead - she's very articulate about birth, we had a lovely conversation about oxytocin - but she wasn't keen. Hopefully my MW will get hold of me this afternoon. I'm just getting a tad nervy, because the article's due in a few days! I did borrow a couple of cool birth books from the MW though, including one by Michel Odent.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#14 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM

So I scheduled an appointment with the chiro for Wed.  I have only been once before.  It was on my due date with #4 (this is #6).  I was having so much pain with my SPD that midwife had referred me to an amazing chiro who did adjustments on expectant mamas with no insurance for really discounted rates (think I paid $35).  We realized by the end of the visit there was nothing we could do for the SPD chiropractically.  However, he did adjust my pelvis and joked, or warned, however I wanted to take it, that adjustments sometimes put women into labor.  I laughed it off.  Afterall, it was exactly my due date and how many women go exactly that day, also, my last two were 2 weeks late, I wasn't expecting him for another 2 as well.  However, before i could get home (20 mins away) I was having contractions.  I was in such denial though since I had weeks of prodromal labor that it took another hour of actuallly watching the clock during them to realize it was real.  He was born 6 hours after my adjustment.

Sooooo... Now I am slightly curious whether this ajustment will have any affect this time.  I am hoping that at least baby will turn from posterior but not likely and if she does may not be for long thanks to my anterior placenta (had it every time!!!)

So.. Here's to hoping I have a productive chiro visit.  Its a different office this time and they only charge 25$ and no new patient fee since my midwife referred me!  Sweet!!!!

Yay smokering for your baby going vertex!!!!!!!!!

I am also excited as this is the 3rd night straight now I have had constant BH.  I usually wouldn't cheer for prodromal labor but for me, I take it as gettting close since I was starting to worry since I wasn't having any like I did with all the others thinking I must not be close then.

#15 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 PM

My prodromal labor is making me crazy. I want something to happen already! Although, Saturday evening or after would be better timing because I'm watching my sister's kids Thursday, Friday and Saturday while she's out of town. And I'm going to see Bridesmaids with my friend tomorrow... so I guess he can wait a few days longer. I'm just SO ready to meet him!

Totally new topic... what is WITH 12 year old boys and their disgusting lack of personal hygiene???? My son will wear the same socks for a month at a time, until they are literally black and they don't even move anymore. *barf*  And getting him to properly brush his teeth and floss them is like torture. I have resorted to sitting on the toilet, watching his every move, and timing him to make sure that he actually brushes for the full 2 minutes, uses toothpaste and a toothbrush and that all the surfaces in his mouth are cleaned. He did a better job when he was 4!!! I can't believe that I'm praying for the moment when he realizes that girls don't like smelly disgusting cavemen as boyfriends and that will hopefully prompt some different behavior. Ugh.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#16 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Jenni: Just came home from seeing Bridesmaids with my girlfriends. Awesome movie!!! Also, my lil bro was like that too...it really depends on their personality; he's still kinda gross :(  But then again, you should see his girlfriend bag.gif

I just realized today that it's not Memorial Day weekend for all you American ladies; I just assumed that we shared the same long weekend, different names (for us in Canada it was Victoria Day holiday today)...and I was surprised at how much everyone's posting, lol!

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#17 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 PM

I'm glad your baby's vertex Smokering!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#18 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post! I can't believe that I'm praying for the moment when he realizes that girls don't like smelly disgusting cavemen as boyfriends and that will hopefully prompt some different behavior. Ugh.

I had a boyfriend in college who gradually got worse and worse about personal grooming because his mom was no longer around to bug him. It didn't seem to sink IN for him that his girlfriend also hated it! I don't think there's anything that anyone can do to force one of those to take responsibility before he's good and ready. Too bad you can't make him pay for any cavities he might get due to his lousy brushing habits.

#19 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I had a boyfriend in college who gradually got worse and worse about personal grooming because his mom was no longer around to bug him. It didn't seem to sink IN for him that his girlfriend also hated it! I don't think there's anything that anyone can do to force one of those to take responsibility before he's good and ready. Too bad you can't make him pay for any cavities he might get due to his lousy brushing habits.

The really unfair part of this is that he doesn't have any cavities!! The kids were just at the dentist about 6 weeks ago and his teeth were pronounced "a little plaquey, but otherwise perfect." WTF?? My daughter had 2 cavities and she actually does brush her teeth twice a day, with a toothbrush and water and toothpaste. I don't get it at all.

Jenni

#20 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

My prodromal labor is making me crazy. I want something to happen already! Although, Saturday evening or after would be better timing because I'm watching my sister's kids Thursday, Friday and Saturday while she's out of town. And I'm going to see Bridesmaids with my friend tomorrow... so I guess he can wait a few days longer. I'm just SO ready to meet him!

Totally new topic... what is WITH 12 year old boys and their disgusting lack of personal hygiene???? My son will wear the same socks for a month at a time, until they are literally black and they don't even move anymore. *barf*  And getting him to properly brush his teeth and floss them is like torture. I have resorted to sitting on the toilet, watching his every move, and timing him to make sure that he actually brushes for the full 2 minutes, uses toothpaste and a toothbrush and that all the surfaces in his mouth are cleaned. He did a better job when he was 4!!! I can't believe that I'm praying for the moment when he realizes that girls don't like smelly disgusting cavemen as boyfriends and that will hopefully prompt some different behavior. Ugh.

I just wanna say my 9 yr old is the same way!  I will find socks that are hard as bricks cause he wore them like all week or longer then when he runs out and none got washed because they ended up under his bed or who knows where, he will come home, pull off his shoes and I find him not wearing any!!!  Gross!  Same with his teeth.  If I don't tell him to brush them, it don't happen.  He DOES have cavities though and has complained several times about them so you think he would be more eagar to brush.  Nope.  Boys are gross, haha.  If you figure some kind of motivation out, let me know.

#21 of 181 Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM

Holy guacamole.. I can't keep up with all of you! I guess I AM getting some things done instead of staring at the computer all day..... or my naps are realllllly long Sheepish.gif

Smokering-- YAY for the vertex babe!!!!! And glad that you are feeling better :)

Sharita- I used to work for a chiro--- and if you aren't under regular chiro care, an adjustment can DEFINITELY jump start labor. We saw it happen all the time. Releasing all of the nerve endings and allowing your body to get a surge of energy from breaking up all of the scar tissue can be just the thing your body needs to get the process going. It's kind of like an energy drink for your nervous system. I hope that at the very least, you get some relief from your pain. --- I have an appt. tomorrow and I am praying for a little relief too! praying.gif

Jenni--- You know, my friend's husband has the worst dental hygiene and she is always complaining how he doesn't ever have cavities and she always does. The dentist told her that some people brush too hard or too much and it can actually weaken their teeth. Also, he grew up primarily in Bolivia and had a good diet-- lots of fresh foods, veggies, mainly water to drink, etc. And apparently that makes a huge difference in your tooth health---- but still,why don't boys realize they need to at the very least be clean and hygienic??? IT TAKES 10 MINUTES TO SHOWER AND BRUSH! 

Anywho.... Have my 37 week appt tomorrow, going to refuse the cervical check--- not really ready for one of those again, ever! haha And I have to run errands. All of that together makes me feel exhausted already! I simply cleaned and organized a little today and my body is KILLING me. The ctx are in high gear, my legs are going crazy, my sciatic is off the charts, and the pelvic pain is crippling!

---- Not to mention this new thing I have going on.... Randomly I will be getting up from the bed, couch, etc and I have this excruciating tearing, ripping, burning feeling in my belly (twice on one side, once on the other). It literally feels like I am tearing a muscle or something in half. IT HURTS. But the pain will subside in about 2 minutes and only be "sore" for about a day after. I really hope that I am not actually tearing something bc it is ridiculously painful!!!!!!! jaw.gif

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#22 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 AM

Phew, I can't keep up with you ladies either!

I hate to say it, but I have to nag DH to brush his teeth too. He just cannot get into a routine with it. It's so gross. Oddly enough, he puts a fair amount of effort into dressing well and looking good otherwise, but then he'll go days without brushing his teeth! It's the weirdest thing.

Someone mentioned crankiness up-thread...that's me too! Poor DD is bearing the brunt. Thankfully DH has been super-understanding and has taken over the Patient Parent role.

This prodromal labor stuff is really getting old! Last night I was having painful contractions 7 minutes apart for about 40 minutes or so, all intense enough that I really had to breathe through them. Again, I thought it might be the real thing, but sure enough they disappeared as quickly as they'd started. DH jokes that I'm like the boy who played wolf, and that by the time I really do go into labor he's not going to believe me. lol.gif I don't think I'm even going to believe myself!

MW appt yesterday. Fundal height is still 34 (I'm 38 weeks) and has been forever, so she's sending me in for an ultrasound today. She wavered on it because we both think the baby feels really big inside my belly, but we agreed that it wouldn't hurt to check my fluid levels. I'm looking forward to it! smile.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#23 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 AM

Yeah, I suspect tooth strength is more about diet (and prenatal diet) than actual hygiene.... sadly. :p Or it could just be the luck of the draw - it certainly doesn't seem like the virtuous always get their reward though, does it?

Am currently sitting with a sarong tied around my tummy to keep the baby locked in a good position. My MW recommended it and I've seen a few posters on MDC swear by it too. I just have it tied firmly around the top of my bump, just above where I can feel the baby's bottom. Is that right? Or is there some fancy technique I should be doing? It keeps riding up... and I don't really want to wear it 24/7 for the next four weeks, I'll look silly!

Echhh, am supposed to be working on this homebirth article, but I don't wanna. The interview with my MW is kaput - she had an "unscheduled" birth and can't fit anything in until Friday, which is when the article's due. She suggested I ring my previous MW, and I might, but I might not need the interview anyway - had a good phone interview with someone from the NZ College of Midwives this afternoon. Lovely lady: we had a nice chat about breech birth.

#24 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

zao aaven is here! birth story coming soon. 

9 lbs 3.5 oz
20.5 inches

5:32 am - 4 hour labour

she was born into my hands in the pool as the sun was rising and elliott smith was spinning on the record player.

3.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

homestyle likes this.

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#25 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 AM

Wow, congrats Ryleeee!joy.gif Love the pics, she's beautiful!! I hope you guys are all doing well!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#26 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 AM

Oh, Rylee, she's GORGEOUS!  Congratulations!

Quick update from me:  I had a long-overdue chiro appointment yesterday and will be seeing her probably daily until the little man turns ... he's been transverse for a couple weeks now, and although I've been here before and everything turned out (haha) okay, I'm still getting a little nervous.

I also had a BPP yesterday afternoon.  Baby did well (8 out of 10), but my fluid levels are high again.  I finally met the peri, who I think I have a little crush on.  LOL  He was pretty chill about the higher levels:  "you're having a big baby ... big babies pee more than little babies, so your levels will be higher."  I LOVE a doctor who understands logic!!  love.gif  He's also ok catching a vaginal breech, which surprised the heck out of me.  Too bad he's going to be off-call for the next 10 days.  DEAR GODS, please don't let me still be pregnant in 10 days ...

Happy note:  I slept straight through the night last night, for the first time in weeks!  I'm hoping it was the chiro adjustment.  joy.gif

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#27 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 AM

Ryleeee she is such a little doll! I love those chubby cheeks. I want to smoosh them!

Smokering, YAY for baby turning vertex! I would think that the sarong should be wrapped all the way around your whole belly, not just at the top. But I don't know anything so don't listen to me. lol

I have all kinds of energy today and I have NO idea why! I couldn't fall asleep last night so I was up reading until 12:30 am. I finally just decided to lay down with the lights off to see what would happen. I slept until 2 am when I woke up with this insane urge to go pull all the milk thistle out of our planting beds. I resisted and fell back to sleep and woke at 4 am with an insane urge to get the dogs and go for a walk around our neighborhood. But I wanted human company as well, so I resisted and went back to sleep. Only to wake up at 5 am with my heart racing and knowing that there was NO way that I would be able to get back to sleep. So I got up and started doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen up from dinner last night.

Now that the morning showers have been taken I'll start on the laundry and get ready for my niece's preschool graduation that is this morning. I'm going to try and squeeze some walking in today, but I may have to go to the mall. yuck. It's super humid here and it's supposed to pour down rain again today, with thunderstorms and possible hail & tornadoes. Not the best conditions for an outdoor walk.

Jenni

#28 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Congrats Ryleee!! Welcome little one! She is beautiful.

heathenmom: so jealous of your sleep, but so happy for your rest!

Smokering: sending you lots of vertex vibes - will they make it all the way to NZ?!! I think so winky.gif

Today will be a good day for me! I am getting my hair done for the first time in almost a year! Maybe I will do something crazy... but probably not!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#29 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM

Ah, tracymom, I'm jealous of your hair appointment!  I'm about as low-maintenance a woman as you'll find, but I was looking in the mirror this morning thinking .... yeah, I could use a little help with the hair.  :/

OK, I'd like some advice with the cradle.  I'm going to try to post some pictures of it, and I'm hoping that y'all could give me some suggestions as to what to PUT in it (besides the baby, of course LOL).  There's no cushion or anything, and it's kind of a random size:  16-3/4" x 34".  I apologize in advance for how BIG these pictures are (and for my half-nakie daughter ... I'm lucky she had panties on eyesroll.gif); I have NO idea how to make them smaller.

248027_2111990839820_1247117811_32662468_2196537_n.jpg

250681_2111992839870_1247117811_32662475_5109856_n.jpg

225420_2111993839895_1247117811_32662476_6161380_n.jpg

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#30 of 181 Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 AM

That cradle is gorgeous!! It's like a work of art! You can find high density foam at craft stores or fabric stores, like Joann's. The green kind that's still sort of squishy that they have for things like chair cushions and such should work great for the cradle. You'll probably have to buy a piece bigger than what you need and trim it down to size and then cover it with just some cotton. Cradle sheets should fit that and they're available at all major retailers, unless you want to make your own.

Jenni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page