Mothering Forum banner

The Prodromal Labor thread...

3K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  Smokering 
#1 ·
I had prodromal labor last time around for almost six weeks. You would think I remembered all about it, right? I remember being uncomfortable, blah, blah, blah. I distinct remember it starting once I dropped at 35w6d. I'm currently 36w3d and think I dropped today...and it has started. I have been having contractions all day and feeling crazy pressure in my bottom. Last time I felt pressure on my pubic bone so I'm guessing this baby is just positioned differently. I still can't feel my cervix, but baby's head is *right there* when I check myself.

Anyone else in the same boat?

#2 ·
I have it for weeks and weeks and weeks. Felling a little stressy about it lately because I still have a few things to do before I feel like the baby can be born. By the time I realise I'm in for real labour it does go quickly.

#3 ·
me! me! me!

i've not had a pregnancy quite like this one. i've already gone farther than my other two. so its almost like it is a first pregnancy! i'm having frequent bh all day and some that wake me in the night. super cervical & pelvic pressure, too. i have no idea whether i'm in for another two weeks of this, or if labor is imminent. i'm just along for the ride...

#5 ·
I am only on day 3 or 4 of my prodromal labor thank goodness. I usually have 1 or 2 weeks of VERY convincing but false labor. Like super intense contractions that are totally timeable, even get closer together and maybe more intense, but I fall asleep, then they are gone by morning. That is the worst!!! I can deal with the ones that are timeable maybe but its obvious they aren't the real thing cause they never get stronger or dont last long enough or whatever, but when it is so convincing...I just get so frustrated. So far it hasn't been THAT convincing yet. When that happens I am officially done with this pregnancy, lol.

#6 ·
I'm just afraid that I'm going to miss any early labor signs I have and then give birth in the bathroom alone! My last labor was only 3 1/2 hours from start to finish so I'm somewhat expecting this one to be shorter. My doula said her third was only 1 1/2 hours, and only about the last 45 minutes was she convinced it was real. That is not near enough time for my midwife to get here. I'm only 36 1/2ish weeks right now and I have yet to have a baby before 40 weeks, so hopefully (or maybe not) I still have a while to go!

#7 ·
wave.gif
Me too. I went to the hospital with very convincing regular contractions last Monday night, but they fizzled out. I had another bout on Saturday, not nearly as strong, nor as regular so I stayed home. Those too fizzled out. Since then, just crampiness, contractions every now and then, the occasional really strong one. Super crampy today, and today it's different than it has been. It has been feeling like menstrual cramps, today it is more like...I don't know, kind of more of an ache.

With DS, I had my very first noticable contraction less than 11 hours before he was born at 37 weeks so it's a new world this time. I'm 39 weeks now and kind of surprised to still be pregnant.

My prodromal labor is just slightly uncomfortable at this point. I feel for those of you for whom it is more painful.
hug2.gif

#8 ·
Do you all find that sex really brings it on? This is the second time in the last week where after DTD I am having rhythmical contractions. Last time they lasted for two hours. I wonder what will happen tonight...

#9 ·
Well, we all know what Karen has planned, now, don't we
2whistle.gif

I have had the prodromal labor for at least 2 weeks now and I am ready to be done. I am super bitchy and nothing appeases that. Luckily hubby gets it, sort of, and doesn't balk too much when I just *have* to leave the house for an hour here or there alone.

I hope that this part of the process is going to start effacing or even dilating but not too much as I would like the midwives to have time to arrive at the house! My last labor was only 3.5 hours of real work so I don't want to cut it too close for arrival of all necessary parties! Especially the birth photographer!

#10 ·
Man, so many of you have super fast labors! I am jealous! I would love to have that problem! Of course we are in the prodromal labor thread, so maybe that explains it! I've had lots of BH, some of them very painful and convincing, but nothing I would call home about. I am HOPING that all the RRL tea is helping this time with the pain and that my uterus is more toned than before, but that is probably just wishful thinking. I'm probably not dilated or anything yet.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

I've had it for a week or so now. I'm swinging between major excitement and disappointment. I wish it would either just stop and let me sleep & get things done, or just happen for real already.
This is so me! I started having ctx on Friday afternoon that were not just BHs but also never developed into full-blown labor either. I've been having up to 3 ctx every hour since then, with the exception of last night when we were dealing with a big huge storm here. But this morning I got up and started my day and the ctx are back. I had a conversation with baby about how I am ready for him to be here, so hopefully that will help move things along. :)

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

I've had it for a week or so now. I'm swinging between major excitement and disappointment. I wish it would either just stop and let me sleep & get things done, or just happen for real already.
This is exactly how I feel! Just let it happen or go away... none of this wishy washy stuff.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

Do you all find that sex really brings it on? This is the second time in the last week where after DTD I am having rhythmical contractions. Last time they lasted for two hours. I wonder what will happen tonight...
well, nada happened, really. definitely had some twinges, but nothing timeable. oh well.
shrug.gif
at least i slept pretty well...

#17 ·
There's nothing wrong with sleeping well! I've been skittish about sex this week because babe is full term and I had to get an adapter for the hose. The pool arrives tomorrow. Last we DTD I felt major crampy for two days, solo orgasm is just not as effective...in that sense.

Sorry honey, we can't have sex unless we go to the home improvement store first
winky.gif

I kind of wish my labours weren't so short as I'm GBS + this time and I'd like more warning/labour prep time but hey, that's the way it goes. I'm looking forward to my MW and ped visit tomorrow for talks, testing out the pool and a handful of so super important stuff (not really) that I have to do and being able to welcome, as much as I'm able, the rest of this pregnancy. I want to invite and encourage labour rather than meeting every maybe feeling with hesitation.

#18 ·
I never had any true BH or contractions with my other 3 before they were actually on their way...but now I'm getting contractions whenever. Aaaargh! Not so fun. My last 2 babies came at 3.5-4 hours after labor started and an hour after labor started, so I am kind of in new territory here.

DC#3 came with no warning and so fast no one made it until 5 minutes after he was born. Secretly hoping for the same thing this time around, but this pregnancy is *soooooo* different than the others.

#19 ·
The same thing has happened to be with the last few pregnancies. I get the whole prodromal labor thing and have pretty good contractions and for about a week, I keep going from excited and hopeful, to let down and aggrivated. By week two of it, I ignore all contractions all together so much so by the time its real labor, it takes me by surprise. I am already ignoring again at this point. If real labor ever starts, I will need something else besides just contractions such as bloody show, water breaking, something, otherwise, I am done with these contractions.

#20 ·
Yeah, I'm too tired of getting my hopes up and then to have nothing happen to get my hopes up any more. So, I'll assume it's really labor when there is a head coming out of my body. LOL!

#21 ·
Hiya mamas,

Is indigestion part of early labor?!

This is night number two with it and I've not had this the entire pregnancy. I really hate it and am hoping I don't have a repeat of last night which included stomach cramps and a severe inability to sleep.

Maybe I'm just finally getting to feel truly done.

#22 ·
I am having the digestion issues as well. I have woken up to BM's so loose the last 3 days I didn't even realize I had to go until I was peeing and it just comes out. (I know, sorry, TMI). I have been having more and more increasing DH contraction and occasionally they feel different. I must be getting close. I dont dare bother timing them and wont until I cant talk through them. Which, if anything like last time, by the time I noticed them and they were intense, I didnt have to time them at all because they were so strong and I couldn't walk through them. Maybe it will be a little slower this time. (slower than 2.5 hours)

I also have so much pressure it feels like a bowling ball is sitting on the inside of my rectum but also in the front as well. Im ready. Or at least tomorrow I will be. My midwife, and my mother are both out of town until tomorrow so I am "not allowed" to go into labor until tomorow, lol. So far, my body has obeyed.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Very loose stools for several days here, and losing plug. I think it's all a sign that things will be happening soon, but like all these other signs, not necessarily immediately. Which is a little frustrating.
yeahthat.gif
i admit, i am getting impatient.
redface.gif

i am working on letting go, focusing on yoga and walks and crochet, lol.

so soon we will be holding our little ones in our arms!

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Very loose stools for several days here, and losing plug. I think it's all a sign that things will be happening soon, but like all these other signs, not necessarily immediately. Which is a little frustrating.
Those are great signs, lady! Right now nothing much is happening with me (38w2d) which is fine but things ARE happening inside of you.

#26 ·
Loose stools and losing plug today here too! I don't want anything to really get going until my Mom gets here tomorrow tho. Been having tightening for weeks now, but not much today.

Good luck ladies!! We are almost there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.