A few homebirth kit questions.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For my home birth I just picked up a couple extra towels from the thrift store and made a birth blanket.  I sandwiched a shower curtain between a flat sheet and blanket from the thrift store, then just tied it together as a quilt.  It works really well anywhere, on the couch, on the floor or bed.  I birthed in the tub, but it was nice to toss it and a chux pad anywhere I wanted to be.  I wasn't nearly as prepared as you all seem to be!  My towels were all in the bathroom, and the birth tub and everything else were in a couple boxes behind the couch until we needed something during labor and pulled them out.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM

I don't have a birth tub, so if I end up at home it will probably be a land birth. Unless I feel like squeezing myself into our little bath tub and I don't see that happening. So I have less towels than others because I'm not planning on being in and out of water much. I have a big plastic tote/bin thingy that all of my supplies are in. It's in my closet, which is about 5 feet from the side of my bed, in case I need it. Chances are if I do need it, I'll be alone with no help so I need to have easy access to the bin and all the stuff in it, which I do. I also have a box of old sheets and towels next to the plastic bin so I can reach those easily as well.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

II bought a liner thinking I'd use it that way and re-sell but didn't like the feel or smell of the plastic. Grabbing the handles would have been awkward with the liner as well. My SO says this is YOUR birth, let whoever buys the pool from us use the liner and you birth the way that is most comfortable. I've always wondered about pool liners. My verdict is not so great. Anyway, Our 19mo daughter joined me and had the most surprisingly relaxing time floating on her back. It was glorious to hold her little, resting body in the water. She was a water birth baby! Her papa joined us and there we were - the four of us - in the cocoon our newest family member will be born into. So lovely. My 4 and 7yo's were super excited and my 12yo helped to empty. We also discovered that the hot water heater is more than sufficient and that the max fill line is bogus. So far as logistics go I moved my after-I-exit-the-pool robe onto a temporary hook on my dresser rather than where I had envisioned it working.   

As far as not using the liner, I would recommend using it for better clean-up.  My partner said there was a lot of "solids" at the bottom of the tub and he just gathered the plastic at the bottom to get them out.  We used a birth tub someone else had used and she used a liner before us.  They had done it both ways - with & without a liner - and said it was a horrible clean-up without. And they never felt it was "cleaned out" and had bought another one consequently.

Didn't have time to read all the other posts, but I didn't see HYDROGEN PEROXIDE in the list of birth kits.  It is the BEST for cleaning up blood on material - towels, sheets, blankets.  It is cheap & easy to get at the local drugstore.  Only stains from my home birth were from after the birth and when I ran out of it.

Also, as far as all the logistics, things change during the birth.  I couldn't stand having clothing on and just ran around my house naked until the baby was born.  I had planned on having my 2.5 yr old DS there but needed him gone to focus.  You gotta do what you feel comfortable with during your birth and just roll with it. 

Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 2 boys View Post

As far as not using the liner, I would recommend using it for better clean-up.  My partner said there was a lot of "solids" at the bottom of the tub and he just gathered the plastic at the bottom to get them out.  We used a birth tub someone else had used and she used a liner before us.  They had done it both ways - with & without a liner - and said it was a horrible clean-up without. And they never felt it was "cleaned out" and had bought another one consequently.

Thanks for the tips! My partner also cleaned out our last pool and since it was the cheapo fishy version that we were given by my OB, we lived in an apartment with no storage AND we weren't planning on having another baby he ended up throwing it away rather than putting effort into cleaning well. I didn't ask him specifics but can say foregoing the liner this time on the La Bassine was 100% his idea. He wants me to have the birth I desire, knows I don't want to throw the pool away so I trust he's up for the cleaning. With that said - if the task ends up being too big and the pool feels like trash afterwards then so be it - I got the pool I wanted, laboured with and birthed my son into it all without the annoyance of the crinkly, stinky liner. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 AM

We used a tarp with an old blanket on top to "catch" any overflow and a plastic tablecloth on the bed. we got the rectangle tablecloth 60in X104in (I think the 60 is right, I know the 104in is) We bought it at Walmart for $4.88. I put the Flannel side up and then covered it with an old mattress pad. Our midwife sugessted making the bed with the sheets that you want on the bottom, then the tablecloth and the old sheets. That way you just have to strip the "dirty sheets" and plastic off and you have CLEAN BED!!
Hope that helps.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Okay...well, I have had two homebirths with two completely different midwives. The first was very grounded, very solid, very stress absorbing. The second was, well, a little ADD, and 7 months pregnant when I gave birth. Their lists were different and similar in many ways.

When it comes to the birth, you want to give yourself as many options as possible. You may have had a water birth last time, be planning for a water birth this time, and it may just not happen for one reason or another.

So...I suggest, having the tub stuff ready, tarps for underneath, towels for you, and whatever. Also plan on having some towels for the birth.

A couple of towels and a chucks pad will catch a baby just fine if say, you are in the bathroom.

Also get the bed ready. A full set of sheets, a shower curtain (dollar store is perfectly fine, just make sure you air it out several days before you need it to off gas it), then another set of sheets. The idea being: give birth, remove sheets while you are going to the bathroom and then you have a place to come to right away.

Also consider a flannel tablecloth in case you birth on the edge of the bed or something.

Keep everything together and ready but packed in sections so you can access it easily. Pack all your medical supplies in plastic bags. Pack the stuff for the midwives in one basket. The stuff you will need right away. And the stuff you will need the following days (including at least one change of clothes for everyone in the family)

I'm not sure what your plan is for your other child(ren) but if they are young, and you want there, teach them something to do. I taught my then 2 yr old son to sit on my tailbone (very nice), roll a rolling pin on my back, and hold a glass of water and put the straw in my mouth. So if you are doing that, you will need those things as well.

Oh yea and get a ton of hydrogen peroxide for the laundry afterwards.Kawa Kamuri has a comprehensive list and I'm trying to think of what else might be useful. I think stuff like tennis balls, rolling pins, folding chair to help with labour pain might be nice.

I also would consider putting like three meals in the freezer. But most people have friends and family for the birth and after (I had neither). I would also consider a gas lamp and matches (this made all the difference for me), some music (I had a gieco commerical stuck in my head for 27 hours for my first birth "take a train to happy town, whoo whoo" and I had a song from my son's tv show the second "I have a friend...a super swell friend" for about 8 hours) Some aromatherapy (incense can backfire very quickly) and a protein shake or some electrolyte drink ready to go as well as this is hard work and you may need to refuel quickly.

I wouldn't buy more towels unless you have few towels in your house.

Being prepared and organized beforehand will allow you to be calm and relaxed and focused on that which is truly important. If you have trouble just make a list and cross something off each day.

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM

OK, I haven't read through everything (I have a toddler and a newborn and they're both sleeping so forgive me for trying to save time...) but in addition to all the practical stuff, which I'm sure you already got loads of great advice on, think of things that will make your experience go more smoothly. I labeled my kitchen cupboards (just used low-tack painting tape & a sharpie) so people could find things and wouldn't be asking us where the glasses are. I left copies of my birth support wishes & plans laying around the house. I set aside my labour food in one area of the freezer/counter and labeled them too. Being organized makes things go really smoothly and our midwives and doula all appreciated it. (Even if they do think I'm a geek now.)

Also, don't stress too much about the mess. Add Borax with your laundry, right in the machine, and hydrogen peroxide in the bleach receptacle, use cold water and regular detergent, and everything will come clean, almost guaranteed. Waterbirth is actually less messy - baby gets rinsed on the way out and by the time you leave the pool a lot of your blood will be washed away, too, especially if you deliver your placenta in the water.

Homebirth websites sell special sheets for the bed that are cheap (~$4 to cover a queen) and not plasticky. I kept mine on the bed the first couple of days post partum and it didn't bother us. Look up Mama Goddess Birth Shop - they have both a Canadian & US site so be sure you're on the right one. If you order their sheets: you need 2 for a queen and you just tape them together with clear packing tape.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 PM

You can use a "dollar store" table cloth or shower curtain to put on the bed. I would put this on the bed and put your sheets over it. It is good to protect the bed against postpartum bleeding/ leaking even if you don't intend to birth on it.

Birthpower AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - Do you have your button yet?   www.BirthPower.us      

Did you ROCK that VBAC or Natural Birth? Honor yourself with a Birthpower Necklace! & Empowered Birth Lawn Sign!

PLEASE join our yearly-  EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK.     

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

I also bought a tub pillow and a thing to keep our over sized bathtub fuller .  

Oh. My. Gosh.  I have always wanted something like that to make my tub fuller!  I am not planning to have a birth pool but just use our tub if I want to be in water, and this little contraption is genius! I am buying one right now!!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM

In regards to the birth bed question, I did not give birth on the bed, but did deliver the placenta there, and we just used Chux pads. It was totally fine, and I have white bedding, no stains! Maybe I'm just not a worrier, but it seems like having the fabric-type shower curtain for things that happen fast and unexpected + Chux pads for laboring and birth would probably be fine. It's not like you are going to want your sheets (regardless of how old) to take the brunt of the fluids anyway. You can't really guess at what will happen, but Chux cover a multitude of stains!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Finally I've found this thread again. I've been looking for it all day. Thanks to the Kawa Kamuri for posting the pictures of all your prep. It will help me as I'm 34 wks just started seeing my HB MW and have to do all this prepping in little time. I've also still got to order my CD's, which I decided to switch to but having a blessingway/ shower this weekend and wanted to wait and see if anyone got us any CD stuff before I went and purchased. Lots to do and so little time. AHHHHH!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadirqutiesmom View Post

Finally I've found this thread again. I've been looking for it all day. Thanks to the Kawa Kamuri for posting the pictures of all your prep. It will help me as I'm 34 wks just started seeing my HB MW and have to do all this prepping in little time. I've also still got to order my CD's, which I decided to switch to but having a blessingway/ shower this weekend and wanted to wait and see if anyone got us any CD stuff before I went and purchased. Lots to do and so little time. AHHHHH!

Wishing you a glorious birth! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

User Tag List