Mothering Forum banner

A few homebirth kit questions....

4K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  kawa kamuri 
#1 ·
This is going to be my first homebirth...last time was a birth center so I didn't have to think about so many things! My midwife gave me her list of stuff she wants me to have on hand and such. I have most things already, but I have a question about a few things.

I'm planning a water birth (had one last time) and the pool will be in our living room...opposite side of the house from our bedroom. And honestly, I don't think I would even want to give birth in our bed, but she wants me to make a labor bed anyway. My question...what do you use as a plastic sheet? Like a waterproof mattress protector? Those can be expensive and if we're just going to throw it away, I don't want to spend the money. It's a queen bed so I don't think a shower curtain will fit all the across. What about some plastic sheeting from Home Depot? I was thinking I would probably need some of that anyway to protect our carpet and wood floors underneath the birthing tub? Then on my second pair of sheets for the labor bed....dark colored and cheap so I can throw them away if need be?

Any other advice of things I need to have together? I have blankets, clothes, diapers, etc. She wants me to have towels, but doesn't specify what kind - I'm assuming some washcloths and at least a couple of large ones (for getting out of the birth pool)...but what about smaller ones? Like ones for the baby?

I don't want to overdo this, but I want to be prepared at the same time. I ordered her specific birth kit (chux and such) online and will get that in a few days.

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I made a labor bed for my first homebirth and used a plastic paint dropcloth from the $ store.

Towels - the baby can be dried with big towels, too. I think my midwife suggests having 6 bath towels available.

Sheets - dark is nice but if you can pick up a set at Sally Ann for a few bucks I wouldn't fuss about color since you can then justify throwing them out if need be.

Under the birth pool - we've always used a plastic tarp (the kind you would use outside). IMO it's worth the extra $$ to protect your floors and is easily repurposed.

#3 ·
Hi mama,

I would think a shower curtain would be okay on a queen. I used the more fabricy kind so that it wasn't too plasticky.

Do you have any older sheets which you'd love to have an excuse to replace? That's what I plan on using :) I'm sure someone has older sheets. It seems a shame to buy new ones and throw them away. Although, if they're dark I doubt that would be necessary. Then you'd just be left with cheap sheets that you might not want to use.

And I would think lots of towels for everyone would be good :)

Enjoy your birth!

#4 ·
I've been wondering about the "fabricy" shower curtain on my bed too. I was excited to find them at the store to hang in my new home rather than the vinyl ones, but I am wondering if they are just made to repel while used vertically or if they would hold up when used horizontally. YKWIM? I'd like to put something on now, since my water broke in bed last time, but my other alternative is a loud, crunchy plastic cover and I don't want to loose sleep! I think I'll test it with water and see if it absorbs or repels when held horizontally.

#5 ·
Josie - let me know what you discover. I would think that would be a great thing to have around no matter what if it works lying down...drape it on the sofa, chair, etc. My birth pool will be right next to a sofa and I'm thinking if I get out for a bit, I might want to sit/lie/lean on the sofa and wouldn't want to get it wet or dirty.

#6 ·
I have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed - bare mattress then regular mattress pad, bottom and top sheet covered by waterproof mattress pad, top and bottom sheet. I didn't birth on it last time but have the twin sized version on my son's bed and he's never peed through it! It's just the Target brand pad.

I've heard of women using some other waterproof something to drape over the side of the bed. I suppose that's to protect the box springs or a bed skirt or....something I'm not worried about. I can't imagine using anything plasticy like a shower curtain or plastic sheeting. We have all hardwood but I did remove the rugs that were in our bedroom. I've read of a roll of sticky plastic sheeting that can be laid on carpet. I think I saw that in the HB forum under a stickied (at some point) thread.

I personally wouldn't throw away a waterproof mattress pad just because it got birth fluid on it - I'd wash it and if it were stained I'd be putting a sheet on it anyhow. Maybe I'm gross? I would discard a cheap sheet though. I think the ones I have packed for birth are light coloured like yellow and pale blue and green. I didn't but new sets, just didn't put the pricey ones on. I don't plan on birthing on the bed and would have Chux and such for lochia.

Under my pool will be a tarp (like used in camping) covered by a blanket because I don't want to step out on plastic. If I'm bleeding I'll have a towel put on top of the blanket first.

My MW has me put together a bundle for mama, baby and compresses. They're sealed in garbage bags, taped, in a bin bedside and contain -

2 fitted sheets, pillowcases (?), 2 pair of underwear and 2 bath towels for me

2 regular but soft towels (these are $5 towels from Target), 8 receiving blankets, baby clothes - t's, one pieces, onesies, socks, hats, cloth diapers for baby

24 small washcloths, a dishtowel and 2 hand towels in the compress bag.

Photo 436.jpg

There's a Crock Pot on my dresser along with some cleared off space for the MW's things. I have a lightweight, black cotton robe on a hook inside my closet which will be right beside the pool if I want to throw it on upon stepping out. I'll need to set out a small bit of PP clothing on a dresser - a gown, some yoga pants and tank, nursing bra.

I also have two towels with my pool stuff. I'll want this for draping over the side so I don't have to lean my labouring face on plastic and for drying off. I see my theme - don't touch plastic while labouring. Anyhow, there are also other towels nearby in case I need them. With my last birth I used 3 tops. I'm probably over prepared when it comes to towels. Pool stuff = bucket, hose, blanket, tarp, towels, fish net, extra adapters (the one I'm using is currently on the sink), digital aquarium thermometer, pool instructions and patches. I don't have my pool blown up because the second I ordered arrived this afternoon (the current version of the fishy pool is trashy IMO so I bought a La Bassine) but I will have it inflated and tested very soon. I have a plugged in electric pump in my SO's bedside drawer. He'll empty via siphoning.

Photo 444.jpg

I have a basket of birth stuff - glass bowl for the placenta (I need to get another in here for potential vomit), Chux, an enema (what is this for in regard to the labouring woman?), a roll of soft paper towels, bendy straws, gauze pads, 2 lady pads for immediatley postpartum, a bulb syringe...

Photo 442.jpg

...and a little bag containing a list (on a Pride & Prejudice & Zombies postcard) of what's inside - Clindamycin, trash bags, peri bottle, arnica and olive oil, thermometer, antibacterial soap and a waterproof flashlight.

Photo 443.jpg

Bedside I have a basket with diapers and wipes and a Boppy

Photo 439.jpg

On my nightstand is a basket with some postpartum stuff like Advil, Tylenol, arnica, Lansinoh, pony tail holders, lip stuff, ThermaCare heating things. I also have a heating pad plugged in and tucked between the table and bed. I need to put a baby outfit or two and some Aiden & Anais blankets nearby as well.

Photo 440.jpg

In the bathroom I have a basket containing pads (smaller sizes are in a closet), stretchy nylon Hanes boy short underpants, Tucks, a peri bottle, EMAB bottom balm and spray.

Photo 445.jpg

On my SO's bedside table and under the phone is a handout with hospital directions and a postcard containing directions from our home as well as emergency contact info and our info. I suppose I need to pack a hospital bag and write a list of what to take on the fly should the need arise.

Photo 435.jpg

I don't think a lot of this will be used and I'll be left with a bedroom of chaos and tons of linens to put away, things to return to the store, etc.

I've also put great thought into lighting so that's taken care of by a soft lamp, a string of pink Xmas lights and flameless candles. Because this stuff is important when it comes to birth
redface.gif

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post

I've been wondering about the "fabricy" shower curtain on my bed too. I was excited to find them at the store to hang in my new home rather than the vinyl ones, but I am wondering if they are just made to repel while used vertically or if they would hold up when used horizontally. YKWIM? I'd like to put something on now, since my water broke in bed last time, but my other alternative is a loud, crunchy plastic cover and I don't want to loose sleep! I think I'll test it with water and see if it absorbs or repels when held horizontally.
I've found that these do a so so job of containing the water. Like, indirect water is ok but if one of my kids points the shower head at it for any length of time the water seeps through quickly. Maybe it's just the ones I have. I've seen a lot of plastic sheeting sandwiched between fabricy stuff in bedding sections of stores - I have a pack of twin bed sized pads like this. I currently have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed just in case.

#8 ·
Wow! You are super prepared!! Makes me really feel like I need to get it together! A lot of that stuff my midwife has listed, but I like how you have it organized. Thank you so very much for posting all that and the pictures!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaayeh View Post

Wow! You are super prepared!! Makes me really feel like I need to get it together! A lot of that stuff my midwife has listed, but I like how you have it organized. Thank you so very much for posting all that and the pictures!
I think homebirth is so so lovely but it does have a tendency to make me a little obsessive over details and prep. I make lists and offshoots of lists into infinity. I do realise it's nutty behaviour. I get worked up over the aesthetics of my birth space.

#10 ·
I'm going to use a plastic drop sheet like this on my bed http://www.mamagoddessbirthshop.com/product_p/plastic_drop_sheet.htm And then a regular tarp we already have for under the pool.

I don't plan to labour or birth on my bed but want it ready just in case, and for after. It's good to have a prepared place in case you decide to get out of the tub, or just for after the birth for when you first get out of the pool. If we were planning to have the pool in the living room I would prep the couch with plastic, a bedsheet and then chux, but since we will be in my room the bed makes sense. I want to be able to lie down right away without walking very far, just in case I'm feeling faint.

We will use our regular sheets, towels and blankets, I had no problem getting blood etc out last time. My sister will just throw them all in the wash for me after the birth. I have a lot of towels in my birth bin, because last time I was getting in and out a lot, and used them for myself and to walk on since there was a carpeted area between my pool and the bathroom. It's good to have a few towels for after too so you can keep replacing damp ones as you lay there admiring your new babe. I'm planning to have 4-6 for labouring and 3-4 for after... might be overkill but we have plenty of old towels so it makes me feel better to be have them at the ready.

I'll have all the bathroomy stuff in the bathroom beside the toilet (depends, pads, peri bottle, extra undies) the first aid type stuff will also be in the bathroom (thermometer, tinctures, advil etc) and the rest just in a bin in my room.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Oh wow, Kawa Kamuri, I am in awe! I seriously admire your collection of cute baskets too! A PP basket in the bathroom makes so much sense! I was just making a list of what to do once I go into labor--one of which is collect all the stuff that I use regularly into a place where my midwife can access it. I wish I had your organization and forethought to put everything into labeled baskets, but I'm just not there right now!

Thanks for the insight into the shower curtain. That is kind of what I was anticipating. We have a mattress wrap that we bought to prevent the bed from off gassing into our faces as we slept, but it was too noisy and DH couldn't stand it. We might put it on again for this and see how long we can put up with it. Or we might use our drop cloth. I like the idea of having our mattress pad and an already made up bed underneath the plastic, so once we remove it, the bed is good to go.

I have no idea where I will want to give birth, although I think I'll want to labor, at least, in the tub. My midwife is not a huge fan of water birth, although she does lots of them. I did pick up a fishy pool from another MDC member locally, and I bought a drinking water safe hose. We still need an adapter, a fish net, and possibly a special siphon hose. I plan to clean out the tub and put it into dining room on the vinyl floor. I also bought a tub pillow and a thing to keep our over sized bathtub fuller . So I anticipate trying to use the bath first and having DH fill the fishy pool only if I feel it is crucial. I want to give myself options.

#13 ·
Re: plastic covering for the bed. My midwife suggested getting picnic tablecloths, the kind that is plastic on one side and flannel-ish on the other. She said it isn't as loud as a shower curtain and they come in big enough sizes that if you overlap 2, it should cover any size bed (we have a cal king family bed).

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

What's the sheet like? Is it thick or thin? It's plastic and not fabric covered plastic, right? is it big? Is it like the kind used for painting? why don't they have this info in the description?
I'm pretty sure its the same as what you get for painting. It says 9 feet by 12 feet, and I assume it's thin. I'm getting it as part of a waterbirth package I am buying off another mom who didn't end up using it, otherwise I'd probably just go to the hardware store.

#15 ·
Even if you don't birth on the bed, the protection immediately postpartum for any 'leaks' would be nice! I have a nice mattress pad on my bed that I picked up for $20 (it's a queen) at ShopKo on sale. It's waterproof, but doesn't feel plasticky.

#16 ·
I use a shower curtain liner from the dollar store for over my mattress. When the midwife and doulas come in they usually make up the bed for me. They put the shower curtain liner under the sheets and then place a chux pad on top of that. Awhile back I bought dark sheets from the thrift store (of course I washed them in HOT water) but I figured for what I am using it for....who cares.

I have my bath towels in the cupboard, as well as hand towels and wash towels. These are towels I use everyday, so if they get mucked up, I will buy new ones!hA!

I have the birth kit all ready.

Then there is the box with heating pad, chux pads, water temperature thingy (for the pool). Since I birth in my room, all my clothes all in my drawers already.

I do keep my snacks in my linen closet (so no one eats them before hand) like energy bars and gatorade. I also have extra hand soap, paper towels, garbage bags, and disinfecting wipes.

In my night stand are clothing for the baby, some receiving blankets, diapers and wipes. and a list of possible names for the baby.

By the toilet I have a cute little tote with huge pads, stretchy panties, peribottles, glycerin suppostories (sorry, but you have to know!) tucks, and flushable wipes and extra underware.

The main problem i have right now? I don't know when the baby is coming and I have to be on my toes making sure to maintain the clean (not an easy task in my household!)

I also have to remember to keep snacks and drinks on hand for the birth team. (have to keep them strong too!!:)

#17 ·
Wow! I am seriously in awe of all the organization you ladies have going on! I am no where near as detailed in what I need/use for the birth.

To the OP, I purchased these plastic backed sheets for the floor and bed http://radiantbelly.com/plbash.html. I also like chux for the first couple pp days. I don't think I could do a shower curtain because of the strong smell. Maybe if I aired it out for a few weeks prior...

#18 ·
Question about after birthing in the pool:

Last water birth, my midwife and DH couldn't figure out how to get the water to drain from the pool via a hose so DH had to dump it bucket at a time into our bath tub, ugh he hated every minute.

Can someone tell me how this is supposed to be done so we can prepare better this time? How do we make the wwater go in reverse? No one wants to suck on the end of the hose where poo, blood, clots and other stuff may be waiting in the water, lol. What do you guys do?

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post No one wants to suck on the end of the hose where poo, blood, clots and other stuff may be waiting in the water, lol. What do you guys do?
This is what my DP did - his siphoned. This is how it'll be done again in my home. I've never asked him the specifics but I don't believe he ever felt in danger of inhaling the birth gore.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

This is what my DP did - his siphoned. This is how it'll be done again in my home. I've never asked him the specifics but I don't believe he ever felt in danger of inhaling the birth gore.
We siphoned before too, you just have to get the water going, not suck it all the way through. As long as the end of the hose is low it will keep going. We did it out a window. I'm pretty sure we'll be siphoning it this time if we can't find a pump to borrow.

It might be worth it to buy or borrow a sump pump. They make it go much quicker and easier. I've been at a few births where we used a sump pump and put it all down the toilet, and it worked very nicely.

#22 ·
Thanks for the tips. Yeah my DH is so easily weirded out he was grossed out just by doing it bucket by bucket last time, lol. My mom would probably step up thouh if DH started being weird, she isn't freaked out by stuff like that.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edamama View Post

Re: plastic covering for the bed. My midwife suggested getting picnic tablecloths, the kind that is plastic on one side and flannel-ish on the other. She said it isn't as loud as a shower curtain and they come in big enough sizes that if you overlap 2, it should cover any size bed (we have a cal king family bed).
that's exactly what i got. i found a big vinyl one at the thrift store. it seems really sturdy and not crinkly. i have a queen bed and it fits pretty well. i guess if there were huge puddles of fluid it could leak over the sides, but i was thinking there's gonna be chux etc in use too, so it's it shouldn't be a problem. i'm not too worried because i'm planning to birth in the pool, so the main gushes will be over by the time i get to bed. i hadn't thought about my water breaking in bed... that could be messy, but i'm not willing to sleep on vinyl every night.

#24 ·
My midwife came by this morning with the birthing pool and our first home visit. In all of her literature it said that she rented the pool for $300 (aquadoula), but she has never once mentioned this and just brought the pool. So, I'm assuming it was included in the price. The kids, of course, want to set it up RIGHT NOW. :)

She was pretty happy so far with where we are at on supplies and such and is fairly laid back about where I have stuff. Once I get the birth kit in the mail, I'll just need to put all that in one place so it can be accessed easily.

Now I don't know if I'm ready or not!! She was surprised at how big I am, but then when she palpated my belly she said baby feels around 6ish lbs and skinny. That would be about right if the baby weighs the same as my girls (at 40 weeks almost 8 lbs - I'm 37 tomorrow). I need to get over this illness, though, before baby comes. I can't imagine the cough and sore throat with a newborn!

#26 ·
This is the list my MW gave me. Last time I was in a hospital so it's new to me. She also suggested this set up for the bed: one set of sheets on bottom, layer shower curtain on top, then layer another set of sheets on top. Then, after the birth, you take off the sheets and voila! You have a nice made bed. With DS I had a quick, intense birth and despite my plans to the contrary, I was most comfortable in the regular old reclined position on the bed. I could not bear any other position. The MW says if I am fast again the most comfy way for me to give birth will probably be sitting on the edge of the bed.

• 6 bath size towels (Washed and set aside in a bag so they stay clean. You
should either have the capability of throwing these in the wash immediately or
consider this a good excuse to get rid of some old towels and buy new ones!)

•6 washcloths (As above)

•Extra set of sheets (As above)

•2 plastic/vinyl shower curtain liners (One can go under your birth tub if you are
using one, the second can be used to protect your bed)

•2 gallon sized ziplock bags

•25 or so wee-wee pads (Yes, get them at the pet store!)

•3 large (contractor size) black garbage bags

•Maxi pads for postpartum use (you'll get a pack in your birth kit, but you'll need
more)

•2 bottles of Witch Hazel

•Adapter and hose for filling/draining birth tub as desired

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.