Anyone not interested in cervix checks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I must be alone.  It looks like everyone in June DDC is in the cervix checker thread. LOL 

Am I the only one who doesn't want to know what my cervix is doing?  I figure the less I know, the less anxious I'll be waiting.

The nurses think I am a total weirdo.  At every appt. they ask me to put on a gown in case the ob wants to do an internal exam.  I kindly decline and they look at me all funny.  My sil apparently had an internal exam at *every* single appt. she had.  huh.gif

It doesn't feel necessary to me at all.  Maybe after I have been in active labor for 36 hours, I may change my mind, but for now I have it in my birth plan that "I do not consent to internal exams on admission or throughout labor".  Not sure how well that is going to go over. redface.gif

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#2 of 26 Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 PM

I never had an internal with my midwives, up until I came in, in active labor at 7 1/2cm. I just never cared to know, mainly because I watched others in my birth group get all worked up over their dr's saying 'any minute now' and then watching them agonize for weeks as the baby took its time.
You are not alone! I will be doing it the exact same way with this preg.
#3 of 26 Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Dear God no - you are not alone. I refuse to do an internal exam unless there's a medical reason to do so. I had a bazillion of them with my DS, both during prenatal care and during labor. The ones during labor especially were extremely painful and left me feeling traumatized. I will NOT do them unless there's a really really good reason!

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#4 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 AM

I'm right there with you, though my reasons also extend to wanting to reduce the chance of infection. I may be GBS + (not testing) and one of the main ways of passing this on to baby is through vaginal exams.

#5 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yep. I'm declining vaginal exams altogether, unless there's good reason... or possibly if I want to get in the birth pool and we're not sure if I'm far enough along yet. But I'm hoping my MW will be able to figure that out without an internal exam. They don't do 'em prenatally here though - I'm pretty sure if I asked for one at my regular visit, I'd get a strange look in response and it would be very awkward. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 AM

Right there with you. I had no internal exams with my first pregnancy and birth, and I plan to have none this time either. I want to avoid infection, and since I know that cervixes (cervices?) can go backwards, and that one woman can be at 6 cm for weeks while another can go from 0 to 8 in an hour, I just don't feel it would give me any reliable information. And I'm just not interested in checking myself during pregnancy, though I think it's kind of a cool skill to have for fertility awareness.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
#7 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 AM

Cervical checks are not standard where I live. Until you're in labor, they won't even do it if you ask for it, unless there's a solid medical reason.

I'm going to avoid them during birth too. I had one last time and it hurt like crazy!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#8 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 AM

My MW doesn't do them automatically. She will if you insist I guess but she doesn't think there is much point. I would tend to agree! Last time I was effaced and dilated for weeks and it just fooled me into thinking labor was imminent. 

Yesterday she came over for a check up and offered to check me if I wanted, but said the check could--if I was on the edge--push me over the edge. Normally that would be a good thing but we are moving upstairs and DH is furiously painting! 

DS 3/16/08     EDD 6/7/11

#9 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Yeah, my midwife doesn't do them at this point unless I request them. I will get one before I decide to head to the hospital. If it's during office hours, she'll squeeze me in; if not, she'll drop by my house. With DS, I went too early and it really stalled me out. I want to make sure I'm super far along with I arrive, like, enough time to get checked in, then push.

BFing, bedsharing, toddler wearing, non-circing, vegan mama to the sweetest boy in the world (2/08), wife to my spicy rock star (4/06) and expecting a new family member 6/11
#10 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 AM

It totally depends on the doc/midwife how much they want to check you. I had a check at 35 weeks when I got swabbed for GBS, since I was already bottomless, my doc was already down there, and I was curious. I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced and that was FOUR WEEKS ago so obviously it told me NOTHING! LOL I also got checked when I was at the hospital for a false alarm a week and a half ago (4/5 cm) because they didn't think it was real labor (and I guess it wasn't, obviously). So, yeah, I don't think cervical checks in late pregnancy are really worth anything. All they've done for me is make me think I was going into labor any second...I don't think I'll get another one unless I'm about 41 weeks and want my membranes swept. I HOPE I won't make it to that point.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#11 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 AM

All of my midwives/docs have not done regular cervix checks, and the one or two times it happened, they haven't told me the results.  I think this is much better - my sister was walking around at a 4 for THREE WEEKS, and at the first time her OB saw her at a 4, he said, "boy, this baby is coming soon."  SO - She called my parents and had them drive down from 7 hours away to watch her other children, and they twiddled their thumbs for THREE WEEKS and then ended up having to get back to their home only 2 days after her baby was born. 

I don't want that kinda stress/anticipation.  I'm waiting to go into labor to care about how dialated I am. 

#12 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 AM

I will add though that I don't mind having internal exams during active labor. . .

#13 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 08:27 AM

The last time I had a professional internal was during transition with my 4yo. I had no idea labour had progressed so quickly so it was great to know I was nearly at pushing. I felt lost and overwhelmed at what I thought was early labour. She was a hospital birth and the nurse never mentioned checking me, I had to ask my MW. I may have one when they arrive at my home this time as we need to make a judgement call on administering antibiotics based on how close I seem to birth. That too is optional and just an assumption on my part as far as the internal exam goes.  

I was under the impression that the cervix checkers thread was about mamas taking the checking in their own hands, so to speak, and not putting on an expected paper gown so their OB can shove their hand up there.    

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#14 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm on the cervix checkers thread, but I check it myself.  I don't ever plan on having one from my midwife except *maybe* in labor.  That's it.  I don't want anyone else's hands up there, but mine.  :)  For me, I'm not really checking my cervix (I can't reach it), but mostly just making sure baby's head is down and to see how low baby is.  I could confirm when I thought baby had dropped and such.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#15 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM

I check my own and report back to the OBs- not that I think it makes a difference I just get curious! lol

They did offer at 37 weeks when they did my GBS swab and I said sure since they were already in there. I am going to have one this week also because I'll be 40+4 and will possibly ask her to strip my membranes if I'm dilated enough. I go out of work at 41 weeks and I'd rather spend my maternity leave with the baby than pregnant.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#16 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Now I'm feeling extremely grateful to have done my last three GBS swabs by myself! 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#17 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

I was under the impression that the cervix checkers thread was about mamas taking the checking in their own hands, so to speak, and not putting on an expected paper gown so their OB can shove their hand up there.    

Yep, that's what it's about! I check my own cervix every so often, but I don't have cervical checks done by my MWs. And I really don't want them done during labor because it hurts and it pulls me out of the head space where I need to be.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#18 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I have enjoyed figuring out how to check it myself, just to know what's up and 'cause it's kind of nifty, but I don't think that how dilated I am at any given point means anything about how or when my labor will progress, and I have no interest in getting exams from providers either. My midwives aren't check-happy (and they have us do the GBS swab ourselves in the bathroom) at this point and have given the impression they aren't particularly so in labor either. I'm trying to come up with as many diplomatic ways as possible to decline checks in the hospital, because they've given the impression that they may try to make my life difficult if I don't consent to one in triage, and as far as I'm concerned I should get to choose who has their fingers up in my lady parts at any given time without having somebody give me a hard time about it.

#19 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Throughout my my entire pregnancy and birth I had 1 check! That was while in labor. She (Midwife) didn't insist on checking me before I pushed either smile.gif Which the hospital required.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#20 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I could reach mine to check myself.  I can hardly reach to wipe on the toileeeeee. (TMI) LOL 

I didn't have any checks with my homebirth babies 2 or 3.  With baby #1, I did, and during labor it was so terrible it was traumatizing...and while she was checking, she *informed* me that she was going to sweep my membranes while she was down there. I freaked on her and she stopped.  It's just so disturbing to me that they don't even ask. 

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#21 of 26 Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 PM

i am ddcc.......cos i love to see the birth stories of all the little newbies coming into the world! my babe will be here late summer......

but to offer my own experience, i have had three babies so far (one was a surrogate pregnancy/birth, so i just have the two daughters so far...), and have never had even one cervix check. it just seems entirely unneccessary for many of the reasons mentioned here. i have, however, noticed changes in my cervix myself, and had my partner comment on how much different it would be from one day to the next.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#22 of 26 Old 05-29-2011, 04:21 PM

I have to admit I tried to check after seeing the "cervix checkers thread" but I couldn't reach it yet and then decided I'd rather just wait. My midwives don't do it unless I'm in labor and wanting to push or if my progress is questionable. As far as checking myself, I figure that if my midwives don't need to know what my cervix is doing, neither do I. I haven't had an internal exam yet this pregnancy and it's so nice and relaxed.

I think if I knew I was a couple centimeters dilated already I'd be thinking about it (that's just how I am) all the time and imagining going into labor at any moment, even though I know good and well that some people (especially multips) walk around very dilated and it means nothing. I'm blissfully ignorant of my cervical happenings, though I do feel twinges and "opening" sensations from time to time lately and I just imagine them doing the little bits of work to help me get to labor time...

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#23 of 26 Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM

I can see how if you're familiar with it through charting or whatever it would be interesting, or just if you're curious, etc. but it's not really my thing, at least at this time. I've never charted in that way, and I'm not really curious about what's happening because I feel like it doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, so no, no checking here! I also kind of try and keep putting things up there minimal right now - it just goes against my instinct to be putting my fingers up there at this time. No judgements at all, I can totally see it being a cool thing to do, just not for me.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#24 of 26 Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
bax

Nope. With my first preg., I went late and around 41w, my MWs did a check and we decided to strip my membranes. (They were CNMs and were hoping I could avoid induction which their OB would probably want to do a few days later.) Then when I was in labor they checked once when I started feeling pushing contractions.

With the second baby, none.

This time I'm 38w+3 and haven't had one yet. Hope to have none, but would consider if my mw thought it would give her important info. during labor (but I don't want to know it myself!).

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#25 of 26 Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 AM

I'm interested, and insanely curious if anything is "happening" down there, but wouldn't have a clue how to check.  Plus, everything I've read says that you can be dialated quite a bit and it tells you nothing about how soon labour will be, or how long, or...anything really.

This is a new experience for me, as I've always had OBs in the past and they're obsessed with having their hands up there, checking things out at every single appointment.  I commented to my midwife last week "Wow, this is the first pregnancy I've gone through where I've been allowed to keep my pants on for every appointment!"  I even got to do my own GBS test, which was a change from the "Omg you're sticking that Q-tip WHERE??  Without any foreplay or anything??" experience with the OBs.  Haha.

So while I'm super curious as to whether these midnight contraction sessions are actually doing any real work other than keeping me awake at night, I will be patient and trust that my body knows what it's doing.  Curious?  Yes.  Curious enough to start rooting around in there?  Nah. 

#26 of 26 Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Another non-cervix checker here.  And, when I went for my 36 week appointment yesterday, she had me do my GBS swab myself, as well.  I have to say, I am curious to know if anything is going on down there, but at the same time, I don't want to know if I'm dialated and then end up waiting on the edge of my seat with nothing happening yet.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to get checked next week when I go.  It will probably be a last minute decision.

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page