*June is Here!! Bring on the babies!!- Week 1 Chat Thread* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Yes! Try it. Today! It's fantastic. You just bring it to a boil and keep it topped up with water, simmering, for about three hours. Keep a lid on the pot and don't use a dented can - my husband's parents once had a can explode all over the kitchen and the dog. I've done it dozens of times without disaster, though. :p Apparently you can also caramelise it by tipping it out of the can and baking it, but I like my no-muss-no-fuss way better.

Then when it's done, it's thick - thicker than sweetened condensed milk, it won't fall off the spoon - and utterly delicious. And you can use it as the base for banoffee pie, or swirl it in vanilla ice cream, or use it as the caramel layer for a chocolate caramel slice, or, well, anything really. DH's mother used to boil up a tin and pop it in DH's Christmas stocking every year, and he'd spend a happy diabetes-inducing few days eating it out of the can with a spoon. Now we're married I've taken over that tradition; it makes him so happy. :p

Anyway, if I can introduce the delights of homemade dulce de leche to another human being, my time on earth will not have been wasted. So go make some. :p

^^She's right. The banoffee pie I had last week was made with caramelised sweetened condensed milk. Best dessert ever!!

Where's Jenni?? Off having her baby, I hope!

I had another few major contractions today, and a lot of pressure. It just has to be soon.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#122 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM

I was just wondering about Jenni, too. And you too, Sharita! So may mamas on the verge of having babies!

It sounds like a frustrating time for everyone with the prodromal labor and odd symptoms. I wish I could hug you all! The thing I keep telling myself is that pregnancy, no matter how long it may seem, does eventually end! So hard to keep this in perspective, though, in these last few days or weeks.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#123 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Hubby somehow managed to fix our netbook AND the aircard yesterday (we've been without a computer or internet at home for months), so I'm taking a few minutes to try to catch up with everybody.  SO much contracting going on!

I'm 40wr4d today and starting to sweat my "deadline" on Wednesday.  I'm having contractions every day/night off & on, and they're wearing me out.  I did lose a little of my plug Friday night, and a little more tonight, so maybe SOMETHING's happening.  I started taking the homeopathic versions of blue & black cohosh last night and I've been taking EPO orally for days.  I was trying to insert an EPO and a borage oil capsule Friday when I found the piece of my plug.  Fun!  Anyway, there's only so much I can do ... :/

I need to vent a little about something that is driving me NUTS.  I'm HUGE, and if I leave the house I know somebody's going to ask me when I'm due.  They almost always look terrified when I say "4 days ago," and then they - almost to a PERSON - ask some version of, "when are 'they' gonna take that baby?"  I think this is the creepiest expression EVER and it upsets me soooo much to have total strangers assume that I'm going to have major surgery because I didn't give birth "on time."  And to phrase it in such a way that it sounds like someone is actually going to TAKE MY CHILD from me.  Just ... no.  Is this a colloquialism?  I went past 40 weeks with BOTH my girls and don't remember anybody saying this to me.  Today I finally started telling people that babies are born when they're supposed to be born, not when it's convenient for other people, and no one is going to "take" my baby.  I felt much better. shy.gif

I just went back and reread my post and was struck by the dichotomy.  LOL  I'm not thrilled about having a "deadline," but due to my diabetes I'm pretty lucky to have found a hcp that is willing to not harrass me about going past 41 weeks.  I was starting to think that one didn't exist in my area!  And NOBODY in that practice has so much as hinted at a c/s.  Love them.  :) 

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#124 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

Hubby somehow managed to fix our netbook AND the aircard yesterday (we've been without a computer or internet at home for months), so I'm taking a few minutes to try to catch up with everybody.  SO much contracting going on!

I'm 40wr4d today and starting to sweat my "deadline" on Wednesday.  I'm having contractions every day/night off & on, and they're wearing me out.  I did lose a little of my plug Friday night, and a little more tonight, so maybe SOMETHING's happening.  I started taking the homeopathic versions of blue & black cohosh last night and I've been taking EPO orally for days.  I was trying to insert an EPO and a borage oil capsule Friday when I found the piece of my plug.  Fun!  Anyway, there's only so much I can do ... :/

I need to vent a little about something that is driving me NUTS.  I'm HUGE, and if I leave the house I know somebody's going to ask me when I'm due.  They almost always look terrified when I say "4 days ago," and then they - almost to a PERSON - ask some version of, "when are 'they' gonna take that baby?"  I think this is the creepiest expression EVER and it upsets me soooo much to have total strangers assume that I'm going to have major surgery because I didn't give birth "on time."  And to phrase it in such a way that it sounds like someone is actually going to TAKE MY CHILD from me.  Just ... no.  Is this a colloquialism?  I went past 40 weeks with BOTH my girls and don't remember anybody saying this to me.  Today I finally started telling people that babies are born when they're supposed to be born, not when it's convenient for other people, and no one is going to "take" my baby.  I felt much better. shy.gif

I just went back and reread my post and was struck by the dichotomy.  LOL  I'm not thrilled about having a "deadline," but due to my diabetes I'm pretty lucky to have found a hcp that is willing to not harrass me about going past 41 weeks.  I was starting to think that one didn't exist in my area!  And NOBODY in that practice has so much as hinted at a c/s.  Love them.  :) 

Been wondering if you had the baby.  Wow, that is a creepy way to put it.  "When are THEY gonna take the baby"?  I would have looked horrified at whoever asked me that, lol.  I get the looks now too.  I guess society don't know what a full term pregnancy looks like, lol.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#125 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Where's Jenni?? Off having her baby, I hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I was just wondering about Jenni, too. And you too, Sharita! So may mamas on the verge of having babies!

Nope, not off having a baby. Today was a super busy day and I haven't been home until about 30 minutes ago. DS and I went to church this morning, which turned out to be really good. I've been feeling rather disillusioned with church in general lately. Today's sermon was basically about living out your faith through actions instead of walking around telling everyone about it and how they should believe what you do simply because it's "right". I'm HUGE on actions instead of words so it was very refreshing!

Then DS and I met my mom and DD at Costco where we spent nearly $400 yikes2.gif  on groceries and other things that we need. Now we're all stocked up and I can start making stuff for the freezer. And we won't have to worry about pet food for a while either since we totally stocked up on that as well.

After we got home from Costco and got everything unloaded, we threw our lake stuff in the car and drove out to a smaller lake that's about 45 minutes from our house. We spent several hours out there and we ate dinner out there as well. I spent the majority of the time just floating around in the water with only my head sticking out. It was divine. I love swimming anyway, but swimming while massively pregnant is even better. The weightlessness, the ease of movement, and even the relief of the pressure from the contractions was soooooo lovely. I was contracting pretty regularly but it didn't feel as intense as it does on land. I could tell that there was pressure, but with all that gravity removed it was nothing like it has been.

Since we've been home I've still bee contracting regularly. Nothing extraordinarily painful or huge (or maybe I'm just getting used to them?) but they seem fairly regular. I guess we'll see what (if anything) happens tonight! I'm tempted to pump some more and see what that does. I have a child support mediation meeting tomorrow morning with Baby Daddy and I'd love to be able to call and cancel because I'm in labor. LOL

Quote:

I would flip out if anyone ever asked me that? I'm pretty sure no one ever has because I think I would remember something like that. I was asked today at church when I was due and I told her "10 days" and her eyes bugged out of her head and she said "WHOA!"   But that was followed up with her saying that she went to 41w with both of her boys and they were born naturally, so I then felt less offended.

I have a deadline too, because I'm VBACing, and I'm with you on how much it SUCKS!!! I hate that I have that hanging over my head. Hopefully you'll just go into labor tonight or tomorrow and it won't be an issue for you any more!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#126 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM

"When are they gonna take that baby?" ew ew ew.

I'd just tell them that you're due "Oh, any time now, babies come when they come" or "some time next week" or something like that. I don't feel any obligation to tell people the nitty gritty of my due date.

#127 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
"When are they gonna take that baby?" ew ew ew.

Yeah, that. Very creepy expression. Sounds like aliens are planning to harvest your hybrid star-child, or something to that effect. Never heard anyone say it in real life, but this is New Zealand, so whatever. :p I usually just get "Any day now!" or "You must be about ready to pop!" - the latter I find vaguely vulgar, but at least not creepy.

This morning I was unexpectedly invited out by my parents for yum cha - the second day in a row! - for a belated celebration of my little sister's birthday. So that was nice. Just got back, and now DD and I are going to collapse in bed for a nap (and yes, I'll probably keep reading the Jack the Ripper book because I do not learn), and then I should try to make a pumpkin pie before tonight.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#128 of 152 Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Totally creepy phrase, totally creepy that people think babies are to be "taken" out. I would have to reply back to them something along the lines of what you said, just to set the record straight. (though I know it probably won't sink in for them.)

But what is it with every one staring like they've never seem a full term pregnant lady? Dh and I took the kids downtown yesterday, I ended up taking the double stroller for a stroll on the waterfront while he took the kids on some rides. As I walked along the waterfront I could feel the eyes of people on me. lol - Yes, I'm pregnant, yes I'm due soon.. move along, move along...

About a handful made an actual "You're close to popping!" comment the others gave an expression that said - your pregnant! lol I should have told them I was expecting twins any minute ;)

And I don't get this whole "induce at 41 weeks" policy so many of you are experiencing. I get it for high risk, but why can't they just schedule a few more prenatal check ups? It's healthier for the child and mother to allow babies to be born on their own timing...

My cousin was induced last week - at 41 weeks. Her OB told her it was due to her age - 30! I can't wrap my head around it. In the previous country we lived in the average age for first time mothers was 29. Her OB should take a little field trip.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#129 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 AM

Pretty sure this is the real thing. Ctx every 2-4 mins. Can't sleep through them anymore. Feel like throwing up.

God, I'm so tired right now!

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#130 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

Pretty sure this is the real thing. Ctx every 2-4 mins. Can't sleep through them anymore. Feel like throwing up.

Oh, I hope this is "it" for you!  Hugs!  Sending you quick labor vibes and lots of rest, too!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#131 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:

biggrinbounce.gif

Good luck!!

#132 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

That is way creepy. I'm so not surprised though with the way our culture views birth in general.

Quote:

Ooh. How exciting! Yay - can't wait to hear about the arrival of your little one!

I feel like DH and I have had a bit more peace since us since yesterday. That's been a refreshing change. I really hate it when we're not getting along - it's just such a drain on my emotional energy. I had so much trouble getting comfortable last night while trying to go to sleep. I got quite a few things done this weekend and my back is just not happy with me as a result. I tossed and turned like crazy going to sleep. My hypnobabies kind of helps me settle a bit, but once the track is over I seem to wake right back up. So I guess I'm not really going to sleep, but in a state of deep hypnosis?

I'm freaked out a little because there's still a few things missing from my birth supply basket that I need to have prepped when my mw gets here for our home birth. But mom is grabbing a couple of things for me and I talked to her on the phone last night about wanting everything in it by midweek. She agreed, so hopefully that will be done soon.

DH actually asked me to make him a to do list of everything that needs to get done. That's never happened before. I admit that I felt a bit giddy being asked to give him a list. So he's going to be working hard all day long on things that need to be done now that he's done with clinicals. He's also going to look for a job though too as things have not been going well financially lately. We've all about drained our savings and that was supposed to be how we were going to survive six weeks of my business being closed after baby. So without that, we have no way to pay for anything. We will be getting a refund check from his school grant money so that will help, but it won't be enough to cover all of our expenses. Luckily he's had several job offers considering everyone is desperate to have CNAs. So I don't think he'll have a problem getting a job. The director of nursing at his clinical site told him she'd hire and she knows we're about ready to have a baby, so I have no doubt that they'll work around that too. So if anyone wants to send positive money thoughts our way, we'd appreciate it. I'm not one to get nervous about financial issues - I try to go with the flow - but I'm very stressed as this isn't one of those things that will work itself out. We have  to survive until I return to work!

Cosleeper is up - not connected to our bed yet - but it's sitting by our bed. Something about having that part done makes it seems more real like, "Oh. Hmmm. There's going to be a baby here." You'd think I'd know that already given the heavy weight I'm carrying around day after day. Ugh - my belly's getting heavier by the second it feels like! I'm already looking forward to my chiropractic appt. on Wednesday!

Anyways, so exciting to read about all these babies coming and so many being right on the verge of labor! 

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#133 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM

I just heard thumping on the back deck and looked out to see that half the flipping neighbourhood is here.  It's a PA day at school, so all the kids are home today.  If the neighbour's kids start asking me to fill up their water guns every 5 minutes, I'm going to flip!  That was my weekend.  I don't want to do it today.

Kids are already lathered up in sunscreen and outside in their new sprinkler.  One of their new sprinklers...  We had their birthday party on the weekend and they go mainly water toys.  Which is great.  Except that I'm a fat sweaty mess right now and I just want to go take a shower, but can't when the outdoor water is running.  So I get to be the mean mom in a few minutes and will tell them it's time to shut it down.

DH is at work, this will be my first full week home.  Kind of weird.  He's getting frustrated, as he gets asked 4-5 times a day at work if I've had the baby yet.  He's finally started sarcastically answering "Yeah she's at the hospital in labour right now, baby's coming any minute.  I just figured I'd finish out the day..."  I mean seriously?  Do they not realize that if I had had the baby, he WOULDN'T BE AT WORK???  Morons.  I don't miss them. =P

They gave him my last paycheck today.  Kind of surprised that I'm getting it already, as I'm not "officially" on maternity leave until the 20th.  I'm exhausting sick leave and vacation time for now, which I figured would keep me on regular direct deposit pay.  But nope, he has a check for me.  Ah well, I guess it's not a bad thing.  I can organize finances a little easier while I wait for maternity benefits to kick in, which could be up to a month from my official end date.  Thankfully I managed to squirrel away a little money over the course of the pregnancy this time to better prepare for that wonderful gap in income.

I am sitting here drinking eviction tea. ;)  The box says I can have up to 4 cups a day, so I'm drinking a couple in the morning and a couple in the evening.  This stuff really works!!  It's not producing anything regular as of yet, but it's probably fine to keep drinking it to tone the uterus, right?  I mean it's not going to do any damage at this point.  I'm in my last couple of weeks!  

We had the "oh wow this is really happening" moment last night, when we were discussing convenient times for the baby to come, and I mentioned that this weekend would be perfect because the kids are going to their father's (or are supposed to be, anyway).  We're kind of "winging it" with what to do with the kids when I go into labour.  They'll come to the hospital with me, of course, and then can be picked up by my sister-in-law.  Or if things are moving along quickly enough, they'll likely stay there with her.  Oddly, my ex in-laws called yesterday (to wish DS a happy birthday) and told me that I should feel totally comfortable calling them to take the kids when I go into labour.  I wasn't expecting that.  I probably won't call, because I hate imposing on people.  I feel like a jerk enough asking SIL if she can do it!  I wish they could just come in with me, but the midwife advised against it stating that it can sometimes stall labour if you feel like you have to take care of your kids.  It's fine if they come in occasionally, but they shouldn't stay there the whole time.  Hey, if it gets the baby out faster, I'm all for it.  So tired of being pregnant!  I have nothing to wear in this heat and REFUSE to go shopping for maternity clothes again.

#134 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Well this has been a frustrating day.

Monitoring at 8:15AM:  baby was asleep for half of it and scared the crap out of me.  When the nurse finally got him to wake up all was fine, but good. grief.

US/BPP next:  baby is transverse.  Again.  Everything else looks great, of course. eyesroll.gif

I asked if the mw could work me in to check for any dilation and to strip my membranes if possible, since I've been contracting for days and days.  She did work me in, and checked me just in case, even though she didn't want to do anything due to the baby's position.  No change to my cervix at all.  Seriously?  I so frickin' exhausted from off & on contractions for days on end, and because the baby hasn't settled in yet ... nothing.  She's being super-awesome about it and seems really confident that baby will turn at onset of labor, if not before.  Only problem with that is, due to the damn diabetes, I'm out of time on Wednesday.  She's afraid that I'll go into labor and show up at the hospital post-dates with a huge transverse baby and the whole place will freak out.  So the proposed solution is to schedule a version and induction for Thursday (41w1d), with the sincere hope that neither is needed.

Called my chiro to see if she could work me in for an adjustment; supposed to be there at noon.  Didn't get seen until 1PM.

I didn't get to work until 1:30PM.  Normal hours are 7AM-3:30PM.  I don't know if I can do this much longer.  bawling.gif

#135 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Monitoring at 8:15AM:  baby was asleep for half of it and scared the crap out of me.  When the nurse finally got him to wake up all was fine, but good. grief.

US/BPP next:  baby is transverse.  Again.  Everything else looks great, of course. eyesroll.gif

I asked if the mw could work me in to check for any dilation and to strip my membranes if possible, since I've been contracting for days and days.  She did work me in, and checked me just in case, even though she didn't want to do anything due to the baby's position.  No change to my cervix at all.  Seriously?  I so frickin' exhausted from off & on contractions for days on end, and because the baby hasn't settled in yet ... nothing.  She's being super-awesome about it and seems really confident that baby will turn at onset of labor, if not before.  Only problem with that is, due to the damn diabetes, I'm out of time on Wednesday.  She's afraid that I'll go into labor and show up at the hospital post-dates with a huge transverse baby and the whole place will freak out.  So the proposed solution is to schedule a version and induction for Thursday (41w1d), with the sincere hope that neither is needed.

Called my chiro to see if she could work me in for an adjustment; supposed to be there at noon.  Didn't get seen until 1PM.

I didn't get to work until 1:30PM.  Normal hours are 7AM-3:30PM.  I don't know if I can do this much longer.  bawling.gif

*hugs* Mama. I don't know if you have tried it or not, but if the contractions seem to not be doing anything, but are constant, you could try taking some Mama Calm  or a similar Cal-Mag supplement. The day I was having annoying, unproductive contractions I drank a glass and it settled them right down. My only suggestion is if you are prone to heartburn make sure you have some tums, because it is rather acidic.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#136 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Im so sorry you are dealing with that.  Turn baby turn!!!  I wonder if belly binding would help.  Id be scared though that if baby was squished from side to side, what if they turn breech instead of vertex, so not sure if that would be recommended.  Maybe though.  Maybe the heating pad on low tummy icepacks on top would encourage baby head down.  Also of course all the spinning babies techniques.

Sucks that you are on a timeline.  Maybe the adjustment will do something and baby will turn later this evening or while you are sleeping.  So sorry mamahug2.gif

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#137 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM

I can see why your MW doesn't want to move things along if the baby's transverse. According to my MW, babies very often flip before labour, but very very rarely during; so she's probably just trying to help you avoid a C-section. Have you done a bunch of inversions? They worked for me (at least, he flipped... could have been a complete coincidence, but I'd like to think my unglamorous poses helped a bit!). Good luck - it's a nasty, stressful thing, and even though he's been vertex again for weeks I'm still a bit antsy about his position. (I swear he keeps turning from ROA to LOA, depending which side I lie on at night...)

Question: I've been taking cal/mag supplements, in the hopes that taking them before and during labour will help with the pain aspect of things. It's not going to lull my uterus into a state of such calm it won't contract at all, though, right? I mean, I do want to go into labour at some point. :p

Actually, DH and I decided that it should be Friday. :p We have stuff on until then. Thursday's our date night, and Mum's watching DD, so we could go see a movie (Super 8, looking forward to it)... then if I went into labour on Friday morning, not too early, and had the baby by early afternoon, DD wouldn't miss her nap and my sister would have some warning so she could drive down from Auckland and see the baby over the weekend. That'd be nice. Hear that, baby? :) (Hey, Hypnobabies tells me I can visualise if I wanna!)

Still not *too* impatient for labour to start, but I confess I have started taking the maximum oral dose of EPO. And I may just start googling acupressure points for inducing labour (somewhere on the toes, innit?), even though I know pretty much zilch about acupressure, including whether or not I believe in it. I even caved and tried to check my cervix the other night, but I just ended up confused and wondering if I have particularly abnormal anatomy, or am just clueless about cervices and shouldn't be trusted near 'em. Ach, I should get over it - before the baby's born I really should make myself a birthing nightie, finish up DD's winter dress (at least one, poor kid is running out of clothes and could use some trousers and an extra pinafore, too), clean the fridge/linen cupboard/wardrobe, buy myself some socks and breastpads, and about a thousand other tasks. And it's not even my EDD for two more days! And I know if I go into labour right now I won't feel ready - DH and I need to practice our Hypnobabies mini-scripts a bunch more, for one thing. I really hate this edgy waiting feeling, though.

#138 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can see why your MW doesn't want to move things along if the baby's transverse. According to my MW, babies very often flip before labour, but very very rarely during; so she's probably just trying to help you avoid a C-section. Have you done a bunch of inversions? They worked for me (at least, he flipped... could have been a complete coincidence, but I'd like to think my unglamorous poses helped a bit!). Good luck - it's a nasty, stressful thing, and even though he's been vertex again for weeks I'm still a bit antsy about his position. (I swear he keeps turning from ROA to LOA, depending which side I lie on at night...)

Question: I've been taking cal/mag supplements, in the hopes that taking them before and during labour will help with the pain aspect of things. It's not going to lull my uterus into a state of such calm it won't contract at all, though, right? I mean, I do want to go into labour at some point. :p

Actually, DH and I decided that it should be Friday. :p We have stuff on until then. Thursday's our date night, and Mum's watching DD, so we could go see a movie (Super 8, looking forward to it)... then if I went into labour on Friday morning, not too early, and had the baby by early afternoon, DD wouldn't miss her nap and my sister would have some warning so she could drive down from Auckland and see the baby over the weekend. That'd be nice. Hear that, baby? :) (Hey, Hypnobabies tells me I can visualise if I wanna!)

Still not *too* impatient for labour to start, but I confess I have started taking the maximum oral dose of EPO. And I may just start googling acupressure points for inducing labour (somewhere on the toes, innit?), even though I know pretty much zilch about acupressure, including whether or not I believe in it. I even caved and tried to check my cervix the other night, but I just ended up confused and wondering if I have particularly abnormal anatomy, or am just clueless about cervices and shouldn't be trusted near 'em. Ach, I should get over it - before the baby's born I really should make myself a birthing nightie, finish up DD's winter dress (at least one, poor kid is running out of clothes and could use some trousers and an extra pinafore, too), clean the fridge/linen cupboard/wardrobe, buy myself some socks and breastpads, and about a thousand other tasks. And it's not even my EDD for two more days! And I know if I go into labour right now I won't feel ready - DH and I need to practice our Hypnobabies mini-scripts a bunch more, for one thing. I really hate this edgy waiting feeling, though.

From how my midwife explained it, the cal-mag helps replenish your body's stores if they are depleted (which can cause the cramping/contractions.) It won't stop labor contractions.

Oh and as for encouraging contractions, this is the short version of what I did over the two days of labor:

1) Spicy, Indigestion-inducing foods (mild contractions no timeable pattern)

2) 3 hr walking trip around the mall and Goodwill (more intense contractions, no timeable pattern)

3) Watching a few hours worth of birthing videos (all natural deliveries, mostly waterbirths) (back to mild, but timeable)

4) Sex with the hubby (intense, timeable contractions)

5) Hot Tub with massage jets (intense, timeable, productive contractions)

The hot tub really helped me relax into the contractions instead of fighting with them. I kept my mind set on encouraging them and being positive towards them. The warm water really helped with that.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#139 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Well, it's Due Date for me!  I am wondering what BuddhaMom and BHappy are doing today.  I'm just puttering along.  Having a contraction here and there.  Nothing to call home about. wink1.gif  So, I'm thinking about how for certain, this birth is different from last.  Last time, I was in labor for 24 hours by RIGHT now, tired, frustrated, and going slow.  I guess it was good for me to get past this little hump to know that things are really going to be unique this time.  So we'll see what happens for real!  Still hoping that I don't need to cloister myself this weekend to avoid the comments!  I strongly suspect I will go this week sometime, but I am trying to relax about it and enjoy what I can about being pregnant.

My midwife did call a while ago and ask how I was because she is going flying with her DH for six hours today.  I think this is perfectly fine, but I told her I am not telling the baby.  Murphy's law, I guess, but I always feel like things like to happen at the worst times.  Or maybe I will have this baby exactly when I want to.

-> Ha, I just realized that it really is D-Day!  Oh the irony.  Too bad I'm not actually having my baby today. smile.gif

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#140 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Happy due date, Josie! I just remembered that today I'm 39+5. With DD I was induced at 39+4, so I have officially never been this pregnant before. Woot?

Quote:
From how my midwife explained it, the cal-mag helps replenish your body's stores if they are depleted (which can cause the cramping/contractions.) It won't stop labor contractions.

Good to know; thanks!

#141 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Well that was a frustrating 38 week appt.  The last thing you want to hear from your midwife at 38 weeks is "Hmm, do you mind if I send you for an ultrasound?"  I'm hoping and praying that baby isn't actually breech as suspected. =(  It'll mean, best case scenario, managing to flip her within the next couple of weeks, or worst case, another c-section.  Another hospital in the area will also allow me to try a vaginal breech delivery, but my experience with this hospital is that they are a bit pushy about c-sections.  Plus I'd have to be transferred out of my midwive's care and into the care of an OB.  Which I don't want this late in the game.  

So yeah...hoping hoping hoping my midwife is wrong.  And until Wednesday's ultrasound, I'll be trying all the gentle flipping techniques I've read about.  I rented a movie for tonight and have every intention of watching it with my butt elevated, a hot pad on my pelvis and a cold pad on the top of my belly, and ipod headphones stuffed down my pants, haha.  Hey, it can't hurt, right?

#142 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the support, y'all.  I've been hesitant to do too much of anything to make him move, because the stinker already moves soooo much.  When the u/s tech told her my baby was transverse, she replied that if we just waited 20 minutes he'd be in a different position.  And it's 100% true.  My doula suggested that I take homeopathic pulsatilla, and to stop when he was head-down.  Again ... impossible.  I did take some before lunch and he went NUTS.  Where did he stop, nobody knows, until the next u/s.  eyesroll.gif

My mw really is wonderful; she knows how much I don't want an induction, but I don't want a c/s even more, so right now that's the order of priorities:  #1 - avoid c/s; #2 - avoid induction; #3 - avoid hospital (she knows I'd much rather have another super-fast birth at home by myself).

Bleh.  I'm going to take some cal-mag before bed tonight to see if it helps me get some good rest (thanks for the reminder!! I've been slacking on that particular supplement...).  My wonderful husband actually got our internet to work with my company-issued laptop, so I'll be able to work from home just like I'm sitting at my office. I'm calling out tomorrow and will spend the day alternating work and pelvic tilts.  Fun!

I'm thinking about all of y'all, too, and sending good birthing vibes to those of you who are ready to rock & roll. goodvibes.gif

#143 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM

MW just came to visit me, which was nice - home visits are a good reason to clean the house. :p Apparently my darn baby is posterior at the moment, or heading towards it - so I guess it's back to spinningbabies for me! At least he's still vertex.

Right. Feeling virtuous and domestic right now, so I should go make the most of it.

#144 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

MW just came to visit me, which was nice - home visits are a good reason to clean the house. :p Apparently my darn baby is posterior at the moment, or heading towards it - so I guess it's back to spinningbabies for me! At least he's still vertex.

Right. Feeling virtuous and domestic right now, so I should go make the most of it.

We are posterior here as well.  My baby has been the whole time thanks to my anterior placenta.  I used two boppy pillows today (i found one at a consignment shop two days before my mom picked one up at a yard sale) and put them together to make a nest so I could lay belly down on my bed for a bit.  Ahhhh felt good and pretty soon I felt baby moving around and then I believe she went anterior for me!!!  felt a hard back all the way down my belly for the first time but within 1 hour it went all squishy again and Im pretty sure she turned back.  I dont really care too much about the posterior presentation because my last 3 have been for sure (also anterior placentas, haha) and they all turned either right before or during labor and my last I believe was born very quickly with no issues sunny side up.  I do hate though that it may be why I have so much prodromal labor and am past my due date as baby may not be applying adequate pressure to the cervix because of being posterior so labor is being delayed and starting and stopping.

I also love that my midwife does the home visits (thats all she does, she comes to your home, since she lives in the middle of no where and doesn't have an office) because it always inspires a good house cleaning for me as well.

#145 of 152 Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post

DH is at work, this will be my first full week home.  Kind of weird.  He's getting frustrated, as he gets asked 4-5 times a day at work if I've had the baby yet.  He's finally started sarcastically answering "Yeah she's at the hospital in labour right now, baby's coming any minute.  I just figured I'd finish out the day..."  I mean seriously?  Do they not realize that if I had had the baby, he WOULDN'T BE AT WORK???  Morons.  I don't miss them. =P

My husband is getting similar stupid questions. eyesroll.gif "Is anything happening yet???" Um....no....if it was, would I be here and not with my wife???
#146 of 152 Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM

Hah I actually have to go into work today for a lovely "pizza lunch" to meet the new director of our department.  So I'm REALLY looking forward to all the stupid comments I would typically get there.

"Wow are you sure it isn't twins?"

"You're not due until WHEN?  I bet they have the date wrong."

"Wow don't pop in the elevator."

"You're still here??"

"Jeez hurry up and have that baby already."

"Hey, you sure there aren't two in there?  Hahhahahaha!!!"

I hate them.

#147 of 152 Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gotta love the comments. My DH ran into one of my daycare clients at the store Sunday night and she asked him, "Had the baby yet?" Ummm....don't you think we'd have told you considering that would mean I'd be starting maternity leave and your children wouldn't be able to come for daycare for six weeks? The killer is that she has a four month old - you'd think she'd remember what it's like to be on the receiving end of dumb questions! eyesroll.gif

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#148 of 152 Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 AM

It's my due date today! orngbiggrin.gif

I think I may be the only pregnant woman on Earth who doesn't mind the "Is the baby here yet?" comments too much (though that may change if I'm still pregnant two weeks from now!).

The one thing that does bug me is when people treat the due date as something set in stone. My mother is the worst like that. I was telling her a few days ago that I was having tons of painful contractions, and she was like "Yes but your due date isn't for three days...", as if it were unfathomable that the baby might come on any other day.  headscratch.gif I confess that she just tried calling me, but I purposely didn't answer it because I knew she was calling specifically to badger me about it being my due date.

Do people really not know about the "anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks (or more) is normal" rule?

I have to say that now that I'm finished with school, I'm actually really loving being home with nothing to do but wait. I've been working on craft projects, translating some articles for an immigrants group, tidying up, taking naps...it's wonderful! I know it'll be years before I get "me time" like this again, so I might as well make the most of it. Baby can come next week for all I care.

On the labour front, nothing much has happened in the last two days. It keeps surprising me how I can have dozens of painful contractions one day, then almost nothing the next. I don't know what to make of it!

#149 of 152 Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 AM

What really bugs me is getting asked about my pregnancy by customers at work. Seriously, they don't know me from Eve, it is not any of their business when I am due, if it's a boy or a girl, etc. But I can't be rude to them because I'll get in trouble. I have a few responses worked up for total strangers who get up in my business in other contexts but they aren't going to work on customers. Sigh. I have only gotten about an average of one customer a day who asks, but still, butt out!

#150 of 152 Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM

I'd just start making things up to mess with them.

"When are you due?" - "In four months.  I'm having sextuplets."

"Is it a boy or a girl?" - "Both!  I'm having a hermaphrodite."

"Wow are you sure there aren't two in there?" - "Yeah, there are, but I'm getting rid of one.  Want it?  Five bucks or best offer."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page