Postpartum Chat - June - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 225 Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jenni-- I pumped after he nursed both sides and got 3 oz from one and 1 oz from the uneaten one. I was hoping that it wouldn't make me produce more bc I'm having problems with staying engorged even though he's eating every 2-3 hours. I'm guessing my body is just regulating how much he needs..

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 225 Old 06-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yay, I get to be in the postpartum chat thread now!

So Miles nursed constantly for, I dunno, twelve hundred hours last night before dropping off. My milk's coming in, my breasts feel huge - although in fairness, they don't actually look huge. :p I went from a barely-B to a slightly-more-respectable-B when my milk came in with DD, and I think they shrank back to their previous size a while back. So to the impartial observer I hardly look like the Buxom Goddess of Plenty... but I feel conspicuously enormous. And kinda sore. Ow.

Also, Miles is ridiculously cute. :) DH is hardly the gushy, clucky type, but even he keeps watching his tiny expressions with a smile on his face, even at 3AM. It's sweet.

Aaaaand he's crying. Miles, not DH. Better go.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#63 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Wow, I just realized that I have not had any time to post here yet. I have to say that I am feeling very, very overwhelmed, weepy, and having a rough go of it. This adjustment is going to much more difficult than I anticipated. I miss my kids - I feel like the only words I have spoken to them are disciplinary - DH and others are trying to "keep them out of my hair" so I can focus on the baby which is lovely but kind of sad, too. I am in the no sleep club, too, and DH and I do not share nighttime parenting (he actually sleeps downstairs) so it gets really lonely sometimes. It's a long night when all I do is walk and bounce, nurse, nurse, nurse, then walk and bounce some more. Wish I had someone to talk to.

I tore and am in tremendous pain. Thank you to whoever mentioned Dermoplast. What a life saver.

heathenmom, how is your little one doing? I have been thinking about you guys and hoping he is recovering well.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#64 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Tracymom: I'm sorry, that sounds rough. :/ I've been feeling a bit "funny" about DD since the birth, too. I LOVE that she adores Miles - she's totally enraptured, always wants to hold him, etc. - but she's been kinda getting on my nerves, too. I don't want to spend all my time saying "Don't wake the baby; don't jump on the baby; don't cover the baby's face up; don't lean on the baby's head", but there are times you can't not say those things! And I'm trying to stay in bed, or at least sitting down, as much as possible, so we can't do fun stuff like going to the park and so on. I am trying to read books with her and draw together and stuff, but honestly, I'd kinda rather just focus on the baby right now! 'Cause he's new and shiny and distracting. :p Ah, parental guilt...

I've heard nori and raw honey are both good for tears too, if it helps...

Also, it's 3:51AM. Both my children are sleeping, and I'm not. This is crazy. Isn't late-pregnancy insomnia supposed to stop with, you know, late pregnancy?

Hey, all you cosleeping people, how do you switch sides for nursing? I remembered a trick from DD's babyhood the other night - instead of lifting Miles over me, I just sit up in bed and roll him behind me to the other side. He doesn't seem to mind being temporarily upside-down, and occasionally it even gets a burp out. And he's swaddled at night, so he makes a neat little rollable parcel. I love doing it. :p I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the newborn stage - just a shame it coincides with the postpartum stage, which I do not enjoy. It doesn't seem fair that I'll have to go through another entire pregnancy and birth to get another newborn some day! (And hey, look at me facing the prospect with equanimity. The same could not be said after birthing DD, let me tell you...)

#65 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Tracy I'm sorry that you're struggling. My kids are 12 and 10 and there are days where I feel challenged by them. I can't even imagine how the rest of you with little little ones are doing this!

Smokering, when I switch Ezrah to the other side I put him on my chest and roll over with him. Half the time I just lay him on my belly and let him nurse while I lay on my back.

I honestly have NO idea how people manage this constant nursing newborn stage without cosleeping. I would never get any sleep if he wasn't in bed with me! Not only would I be waking up every 5 minutes to make sure that he was still breathing (something that I never did when my big kids were babies) but then I'd be getting up all night to nurse him as well.

My tear finally healed which has made my life SO much easier. And Ezrah is exactly 2 weeks old today! He's starting to fill out a little bit and get even cuter and squishier than he already was.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#66 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 PM

OMG, seriously??? I was cleaning out & organizing my very large first aid kit and guess what I found? 3 cans of Dermoplast!!! As soon as I didn't need it anymore... argh.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#67 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 PM

I always just sit up and roll her to the other side of me or if I had her laying on a washable underpad (to save my sheetsfrom my leaking and her spit up) i just sit up and slide the pad baby n all to my other side, then roll baby over to face me.  I could never nurse without co-sleeping.  I bottle fed my first and was so sleep deprived from the constant waking to feed him and try n stay awake till he finished.  After discovering co-sleeping andbf'ing, I never felt sleep deprived again except maybe that first night or two. 

I am hating this nipple pain though.  Latch is good, no thrush, nothing wrong that I can find but with every baby I have horrible pain the second baby latches then it subsides within a minute but I have to grit my teeth and survive that minute.  If I remember right, By 1 month it goes away.  Am I the only one?  Also, I have always had forceful and painful let-down which also gets better as time goes on. 

DH and I were talking about public breastfeeding yesterday and I got so irritated I just dropped it.  He supports that I BF (by the way this is only our seconed child together, my 6th his 2nd) but he thinks BF in public is just not something I should do.  I asked about certain scenarios such as, if a woman is out to eat, what is she supposed to do  and would you believe he said "go to the bathroom"  HAHA so I asked if he would like eating his meals in a bathroom.  But his baby is supposed to?  Also, nursing on a toilet is super uncomfortable.  My first baby to nurse I was self concious about public nursing and did that a few times.  Never again!!

He wasnt mean about it just was saying, its something you dont see (women BF in public)  I said, maybe its because they are discreet and you don't notice.  Then, I asked what was it he was uncomfortable with, breasts bare in public (because I am not that kind of public nurser I am much too modest, I cover before I even get baby latched on) and he said even if you see a woman with a blanket draped over her shoulder and you can't see babys head you know what she is doing. 

Okay, so just "knowing" a woman is feeding her baby under there makes ppl uncomfortable??  I am pretty modest and wouldn't just whip it out either way, but come on!  I admit last time, I liked to take pumped milk out with me for baby needed to eat sometimes but only because if we were out eating and she cried, he would always offer to stop eating to feed her and let me eat. 

I couldn't keep the converstation going as I thought I had already used my most compelling arguments and he just wasnt getting it and it was fathers day and I can get really heated when its an issue I know I am right about, haha so I dropped it but I plan to bring it back up but could use some other points of view or something.  I couldn't even get a straight answer as to why or what about it makes him or that he thinks makes others uncomfortable.  I think, he would feel embarrassed somehow is the impression I get. 

Ill never get over how a woman can have them all hanging out to look "sexy" but let a woman show even less (or nothing at all) to breastfeed (what they were meant for) and its gross or weird or makes ppl uncomfortable. 

Ok rant over, lol. 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#68 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Half the time I just lay him on my belly and let him nurse while I lay on my back.

Yeah, I do this sometimes too. I like it; keeps me warm. :)

sharita: Ooh, that would get my hackles good and raised, Father's Day or no! (Incidentally, we don't celebrate Father's Day here for months... or has it already been? Either way, just as well; poor DH would have gotten the short end of the stick this year!) You're more discreet than I am - I don't tend to show flesh, but mostly as a happy accident of being small-chested. I nurse everywhere, including in church (hey, the only person facing me is the pastor, who happens to be my father, and whose wife breastfed all six of his kids in church too... plus I once opened the door to him with one breast exposed - by accident, of course! - and he didn't even notice) and in town and libraries and places where Civilised Folk Gather. I've made a few people nervous - my father-in-law, who has yet to get over it, despite being on grandchild number four (and his wife BFed their kids too, so what the?) - a couple of male, single, childless friends who quickly became inured to it by sheer repetition - and a stoned teenage boy on a bus, who gave me the only comment in 3+ years of nursing that could possibly be construed as "anti".

You could try pointing out that your DH doesn't comment (I assume!) about every woman he sees in public wearing a cleavagey top, which obviously makes some sectors of society uncomfortable (some religious groups, for instance). If he doesn't feel they should cover up, even though they're only showing flesh for the relatively "unnecessary" purpose of self-expression or fashion or what-have-you, then it's ridiculous for him to think breastfeeding women should cover up when they're doing a rather more necessary and useful thing with their breasts. And if you can't even see them-? Crazy talk. I know you already sort of made that point, but if you led him through it step-by-step...?

#69 of 225 Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

I am hating this nipple pain though.  Latch is good, no thrush, nothing wrong that I can find but with every baby I have horrible pain the second baby latches then it subsides within a minute but I have to grit my teeth and survive that minute.  If I remember right, By 1 month it goes away.  Am I the only one?  Also, I have always had forceful and painful let-down which also gets better as time goes on. 

DH and I were talking about public breastfeeding yesterday and I got so irritated I just dropped it.  He supports that I BF (by the way this is only our seconed child together, my 6th his 2nd) but he thinks BF in public is just not something I should do.  I asked about certain scenarios such as, if a woman is out to eat, what is she supposed to do  and would you believe he said "go to the bathroom"  HAHA so I asked if he would like eating his meals in a bathroom.  But his baby is supposed to?  Also, nursing on a toilet is super uncomfortable.  My first baby to nurse I was self concious about public nursing and did that a few times.  Never again!!

He wasnt mean about it just was saying, its something you dont see (women BF in public)  I said, maybe its because they are discreet and you don't notice.  Then, I asked what was it he was uncomfortable with, breasts bare in public (because I am not that kind of public nurser I am much too modest, I cover before I even get baby latched on) and he said even if you see a woman with a blanket draped over her shoulder and you can't see babys head you know what she is doing. 

Okay, so just "knowing" a woman is feeding her baby under there makes ppl uncomfortable??  I am pretty modest and wouldn't just whip it out either way, but come on!  I admit last time, I liked to take pumped milk out with me for baby needed to eat sometimes but only because if we were out eating and she cried, he would always offer to stop eating to feed her and let me eat.

I have that same nipple pain when first latching and nursing, every single time. And my let-down has always been really intense. It HURTS for about a minute with the combined let-down and latching pain. It's gotten better just within the past couple of days, but I fully expect that it will be another week or two before it's gone all the way. Ezrah is 2 weeks told today, so that would put him at 3 or 4 weeks old by the time it's 100% better.

As for NIP, I don't care where I am or who is around me. I'll nurse whenever, where ever. I was nursing baby while walking through Wal-Mart the other day. He was sort of wrapped in a blanket, and it was draped over my shoulder on the side I was nursing on and hanging down as well so that it covered my side and stomach. I asked the kids if they could see ANY skin and they said no. I'm sure at least a few people realized that I was nursing him, but no one said anything or even gave me weird looks. I also discovered, while at my sister's pool yesterday, that the little hooded baby towels work fantastically for NIP. The hood part stayed on his head and gave me some coverage while the towel part covered any other skin that may have been showing.

I see women NIP all the time and a few times I've told them that I think they're doing an amazing thing for their babies. It may be weird, but I'd rather tell a woman that I support her to counteract the looks and comments that she'll inevitably get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Yeah, I do this sometimes too. I like it; keeps me warm. :)

sharita: Ooh, that would get my hackles good and raised, Father's Day or no! (Incidentally, we don't celebrate Father's Day here for months... or has it already been? Either way, just as well; poor DH would have gotten the short end of the stick this year!) You're more discreet than I am - I don't tend to show flesh, but mostly as a happy accident of being small-chested. I nurse everywhere, including in church (hey, the only person facing me is the pastor, who happens to be my father, and whose wife breastfed all six of his kids in church too... plus I once opened the door to him with one breast exposed - by accident, of course! - and he didn't even notice) and in town and libraries and places where Civilised Folk Gather. I've made a few people nervous - my father-in-law, who has yet to get over it, despite being on grandchild number four (and his wife BFed their kids too, so what the?) - a couple of male, single, childless friends who quickly became inured to it by sheer repetition - and a stoned teenage boy on a bus, who gave me the only comment in 3+ years of nursing that could possibly be construed as "anti".

You could try pointing out that your DH doesn't comment (I assume!) about every woman he sees in public wearing a cleavagey top, which obviously makes some sectors of society uncomfortable (some religious groups, for instance). If he doesn't feel they should cover up, even though they're only showing flesh for the relatively "unnecessary" purpose of self-expression or fashion or what-have-you, then it's ridiculous for him to think breastfeeding women should cover up when they're doing a rather more necessary and useful thing with their breasts. And if you can't even see them-? Crazy talk. I know you already sort of made that point, but if you led him through it step-by-step...?

It's the middle of summer here and it's been 100F or over for over a week straight. So having him sleep ON me makes me all hot and sweaty and rather uncomfortable. But he sleeps great that way so I keep doing it!

I was actually nursing at the dinner table last night when we were at my sister's house for Father's Day dinner. He called his dad to wish him a happy Father's Day, even though he's in Australia and they don't celebrate it until September or something like that.

Jenni

#70 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

heathenmom, how is your little one doing? I have been thinking about you guys and hoping he is recovering well.

Thanks for thinking of us, tracymom.  It's been a difficult 12 days, to say the least, but I think we're starting to even out.  He was having trouble nursing from the start, then he got "nipple" confusion because I was letting him suck on my finger for comfort during all the painful procedures in the hospital.  Then he just couldn't seem to get the "suck" thing down at the breast ... it was just one thing after another.  When we went to our follow-up appointment last Friday, he still wasn't producing enough wet/poopy diapers, so I ended up buying bottles and formula.  It just crushed me, but I had to get food into him somehow.  I've been working with lactation consultants since we were in the hospital and yesterday she really encouraged me to just put him in the sling and nurse and comfort him that way.  He hasn't had a bottle since last night and seems to be doing much better today.  I'm hopeful that we can salvage a nursing relationship yet.

As for me, the swelling has nearly gone away and I've lost 34 lb. since Wednesday, June 8th.  Whew!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#71 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

Thanks for thinking of us, tracymom.  It's been a difficult 12 days, to say the least, but I think we're starting to even out.  He was having trouble nursing from the start, then he got "nipple" confusion because I was letting him suck on my finger for comfort during all the painful procedures in the hospital.  Then he just couldn't seem to get the "suck" thing down at the breast ... it was just one thing after another.  When we went to our follow-up appointment last Friday, he still wasn't producing enough wet/poopy diapers, so I ended up buying bottles and formula.  It just crushed me, but I had to get food into him somehow.  I've been working with lactation consultants since we were in the hospital and yesterday she really encouraged me to just put him in the sling and nurse and comfort him that way.  He hasn't had a bottle since last night and seems to be doing much better today.  I'm hopeful that we can salvage a nursing relationship yet.

As for me, the swelling has nearly gone away and I've lost 34 lb. since Wednesday, June 8th.  Whew!

34lbs wow!  Too scared to weigh myself.  Have been since about 33 weeks.  I wont dare do it until I can see some of my old clothes fitting again. 

I was talked into a lot of supplementing with my last baby because of severe jaundice and used the breastflow bottles since my SIL got them for me.  I had heard good things about them for breastfed babies.  None of my other BF babies could figure out how to take a bottle if I tried to give them thawed breastmilk.  Most bottle nipples and the sucking action required to get milk from them is so different from BF that they just couldnt figure it out.  However, the Breastflow bottles, he picked it up immediately and I used them regularly (from about 3 days old on) and he never had any confusion or trouble. 

Sounds like you are well on your way to getting the nursing relationship back on track and well established.  Good luck!

I bought a homemade stretchy sling like the baby k'tan off ebay and just got it out and started using it.  I can tell it wont last me very long as she gets heavier since it is so light and stretchy.  I dont like pouch slings as my back always kills me and baby is always in some weird slumped position that looks very uncomfortable.  I love the wraps but my moby one was sooooo long and big and hot for summer.  I did like it though and wish I hadn't gave it away after last baby.  I am just going to have to go to the fabric store and make me another.  Maybe this time I will get some lighter fabric.  This little one hates to be put down! 

Also a quick question for you ladies.  Her umbilical stump fell off at 5 days during a diaper change.  Here we are at 13 days and every time I change her diaper I notice it still isn't dried up and has dried blood around it (and a little fresh on the inside) but its not actively "bleeding" so to speak but just wont dry up.  My ped said dab a little alcohol on it with each diaper change.  Did that and its not helping so any other ideas?  No pus, no redness or sign of infection, and when I look inside, I can't even see where the little bit of blood is coming from.  It doesn't seem to bother her but I hate that its not drying up yet.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#72 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM

mamas, i've been reading most of the posts from my iphone when i get a moment here and there. its been so nice to follow you all. its been too hard to post. right now i've got a sleeping bundle on my chest and im typing one handed. hugs to those having difficulties. hugs to those who need one. i'm so happy and in love with my little guy. no complaints really. quinn & i have been taking it real slow and easy. i'm lucky to be able to nap a lot with him. dh and dd have been keeping the house running as usual. they are awesome. we went this morning in the car - first time - to the dr. - first time - and it all went smoothly. quinn weighed in at 10lbs 2oz at just under two weeks old. when he was born we couldnt weigh him because we have no scale! my parents brought their bathroom scale the next day and we weighed my dh, then handed him the baby and he weighed 10 pounds more! we were in disbelief so weighed him with several other people before it started to sink in that he was a 10-pounder (or very close)!

hope to be around more often. until later...

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#73 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

I'm glad that you're able to get back on track with nursing. It can be so hard to get everything "right" so that baby is getting what he needs and momma isn't in agony. We struggled with his latch for the first full week, plus a day or two. I even tried a nipple shield to see if that would help. It didn't really so I ditched it but I'm glad I at least tried it.

And losing 34 lbs??? That is amazing! I've lost 11 lbs and don't seem to be able to drop down any further. :(  However, I'm 16 lbs lighter than I was when I started out my pregnancy, and I'm 33 lbs lighter than I was at the end of my last pregnancy before this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

I was talked into a lot of supplementing with my last baby because of severe jaundice and used the breastflow bottles since my SIL got them for me.  I had heard good things about them for breastfed babies.  None of my other BF babies could figure out how to take a bottle if I tried to give them thawed breastmilk.  Most bottle nipples and the sucking action required to get milk from them is so different from BF that they just couldnt figure it out.  However, the Breastflow bottles, he picked it up immediately and I used them regularly (from about 3 days old on) and he never had any confusion or trouble. 

Also a quick question for you ladies.  Her umbilical stump fell off at 5 days during a diaper change.  Here we are at 13 days and every time I change her diaper I notice it still isn't dried up and has dried blood around it (and a little fresh on the inside) but its not actively "bleeding" so to speak but just wont dry up.  My ped said dab a little alcohol on it with each diaper change.  Did that and its not helping so any other ideas?  No pus, no redness or sign of infection, and when I look inside, I can't even see where the little bit of blood is coming from.  It doesn't seem to bother her but I hate that its not drying up yet.

I'm glad to hear that the Breastflow bottles work well for breastfed babies! I have a bunch of them that I'll be using while he's in daycare when I go back to school in the fall.

Ezrah's umbilical stump fell off at 11 days but it's not totally sealed off yet either. It still bleeds a little bit here and there and I notice some dried blood on the front of his diapers. I just wipe it down with alcohol with every other diaper change or when I notice that it's looking especially gross. It seems to be getting better little by little. He's not having any signs of infection either, so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing until it's all the way healed.

Jenni

#74 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Hey all! I've been lurking but can't seem to work up the energy to post much.

We're having a bit of a rough day. DH has some kind of stomach flu (which I'm TERRIFIED we're all going to catch!), and I also suspect I'm coming down with mastitis. Tomorrow could be a very long day...

I'm also getting seriously cranky that DD is still nameless, and that DH is still in no hurry to discuss names. I can't even get him to make a short-list. hammer.gif I know he's tired but I mean...he didn't realise that when I was asking him to do this before the baby arrived? Now he's talking to me about some computer program he's writing and all can think is "You have the energy for complex programming but you can't take 20 minutes to narrow down the names list?".

Other than all of that, things are going pretty well. The baby is adorable and seems very healthy and content so far. DD1 loves her, and has been very gentle with her. I think the change has still been kind of hard on her though.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#75 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Snowflake: Eep! Yeah, getting sick with a newborn... not fun. It's winter here and I'm just waiting for Miles to get his first cold... I remember when DD had hers and was too snotty to breastfeed... not helpful. Luckily we all had the flu a few weeks before he was born, so maybe that'll help?

And yes, it would make me very nervy to have an unnamed baby. We didn't officially decide on Miles until, oh, seven hours after he was born? And we'd already had several nagging texts and phone calls from family members wanting to know if we had a name yet. I think in your situation I'd be tempted to pick my favourite name and give DH an ultimatum: "Come up with an alternative we both like before 6PM, or this is going on the birth certificate!". Think it might work? :p

DD woke up screaming last night. Sigh. I knew this everyone-sleeping-in-the-same-bedroom thing was going to be problematic. The good part is, Miles woke up at 4 or 5AM wanting to play. He wasn't hungry or screaming, just alert; so I sat him up against my knees and put the night-light on, and we just chilled together looking at each other for about half an hour. It was nice. :) DH thought I was crazy.

All in all, I'm just thoroughly enjoying this wee baby! He's getting cuter every day, he's mellow, he's just fun. And compared to the PP experience with DD, well, night and day... healing's better, breastfeeding's better, sleeping's better.

DH finished encapsulating my placenta yesterday, and I've started taking it. Hopefully my iron levels will shoot back up, like they did after I had DD. I "overdid it" yesterday (by which I mean "baked a cake and sat on the couch instead of lying in bed") and feel a bit zonked this morning. Luckily Mum's taking DD for a few hours this afternoon. I might see if she can pick me up some more library books...

#76 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM

I had some baby blues. I was also feeling overwhelmed w/ our move and feeling homesick. I cried a lot for several days. I was finding it hard giving up my free time and sitting nursing so much, fitting stuff in. I ran out of vit D three days ago. I really feel it when I don't take it, much more emotional. I picked some last night. I had a breast reduction at 15 and do not have a full milk supply. I ran out of donated milk and have not been able to find another donor mama so I had to give Esca formula, made me very emotional. I decided last night on the way home I need to start exercising and cooking again. I feel so much better today. I went for a walk w/ my toddlers while Esca napped. I also cooked dinner.

My bleeding is very light, but w/ most of mine it continued for weeks. It is such an annoying part of PP.

Sharita 30+ lbs, how??????????? I am up 35 lbs, having lost only 11lbs so far, baby, etc. I hate it, hate it.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#77 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up with everyone :( We STILL have house guests and more are arriving on Thurs. yaaaay....

We are doing great-- nursing is good, baby sleeps well, DD loves him and isn't jealous, I am getting a decent amount of sleep. I will admit that I am still scared to be home alone with both of them--- eek!! As for the cord stump-- Finn's is 90% detached and hanging on by goo-- eww! I keep a little Zinc powder/cornstarch on it for good measure. Hope that's ok.

Praying for all of you!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#78 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:

And yes, it would make me very nervy to have an unnamed baby. We didn't officially decide on Miles until, oh, seven hours after he was born? And we'd already had several nagging texts and phone calls from family members wanting to know if we had a name yet. I think in your situation I'd be tempted to pick my favourite name and give DH an ultimatum: "Come up with an alternative we both like before 6PM, or this is going on the birth certificate!". Think it might work? :p

I wish! Unfortunately he knows I have no actual leverage, so issuing an ultimatum will only result in him being even more obstinate. orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

I had some baby blues. I was also feeling overwhelmed w/ our move and feeling homesick. I cried a lot for several days. I was finding it hard giving up my free time and sitting nursing so much, fitting stuff in. I ran out of vit D three days ago. I really feel it when I don't take it, much more emotional. I picked some last night. I had a breast reduction at 15 and do not have a full milk supply. I ran out of donated milk and have not been able to find another donor mama so I had to give Esca formula, made me very emotional. I decided last night on the way home I need to start exercising and cooking again. I feel so much better today. I went for a walk w/ my toddlers while Esca napped. I also cooked dinner.

My bleeding is very light, but w/ most of mine it continued for weeks. It is such an annoying part of PP.

Sharita 30+ lbs, how??????????? I am up 35 lbs, having lost only 11lbs so far, baby, etc. I hate it, hate it.

Be gentle with yourself, mama. hug2.gif Try getting some fish oil tablets. I find my mood is way better when I take them regularly (which reminds me, I need to re-stock too...).

If it makes you feel any better, I'm only down 17 lbs since giving birth, leaving 35 lbs to go! On the upside, I don't think I look too bad considering. I'm not a fan of the stretch marks I got at 41 weeks, but it could be a lot worse. Maybe because the engorged breasts make everything else look smaller in comparison. orngtongue.gif 

9 months on, 9 months off, right?

#79 of 225 Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 PM

Ugh,  I am in the middle of the avoiding mirrors stage of PP.  With my first I know that I did ZERO exercise for at least 16 weeks PP, and I still managed to lose all my preg weight by 9 months.  With #2 & #3 it took considerably longer as I made every excuse to avoid working out.  

This time I am itching to get my body shape back.  I don't know if it's because I am scared that I won't be able to do it? Or that DH is going to be turned off by my body. Or that I won't be able to keep up with my older kids.  Or what the deal is, but I can't even look in the mirror and glimpse myself.  I do not own a scale and would be completely obsessed if I did, so I have no idea what I need to lose.  I don't want to push too much too soon, so I am not currently working out, but I think tomorrow when I take the kids to the park, I will have them run a mile or two (to tire the buggers out) and walk the two miles myself.  Maybe that will help the feeling good part of the day.  

I think earlier a couple posters mentioned being annoyed by their older kid after their second was born.  I was warned before my second came along that I would feel that way and, boy, am I glad I was given the heads up.  I felt so bad that I just wanted to snuggle my baby and hang with the perfection that is a newborn.  I was so annoyed by the first that I felt terrible.  But was glad to know that I wasn't alone in that feeling and that the feeling would go away at some point.  

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#80 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
But was glad to know that I wasn't alone in that feeling and that the feeling would go away at some point.

Oh, good. So, um, when? bag.gif

We don't have bathroom scales either - and my MW didn't weigh me anyway, so I have no idea how much I have to lose! I've been wearing an abdominal binder thing to help shrink my tummy down - it's uncomfortable, but it worked a treat with DD. Then again, she was my first baby, so I sprang back to shape pretty quickly. I must say I don't like seeing myself in the mirror when I remove said binder in order to wash. I really dislike the wobbly PP tummy look. And my tummy button looks freakin' WEIRD - it's dark brown, like the linea nigra sort of pooled in it, and flat in a stretched-out kind of way.

Miles' cord stump fell off today. We've mostly been chillin' together at the computer. Anyone recommend any really interesting websites?

#81 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 AM

I haven't weighed myself either. Last 2 babies I was obsessed with the number even though I looked good. Hopefully this tear heals soon and I can start exercsing in a month or so. I had hoped to do the half marathon in August, but realize now that won't be possible. I might look for one in the springg instead.

I really wish I could say thing are getting easier, but I have a feeling that it will be a while before that happens. Oh, I keep hearing about honey for the tear. Wouldn't the pad stich to it? How do you get it to not get all over everything? So far only topical anesthetics are helping.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#82 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 AM

I was mostly concerned about the weight loss as it related to all the fluid I was carrying.  I had a net gain for the whole pregnancy of 10 lb. and I've been overly-curious what my weight was going to end up being once I'd gotten through the initial postpartum phase.  I usually gain about 30 lb. and lose it within 6 weeks.  Right now I'm about 25 lb. lighter than I was when I started the pregnancy.  Woohoo!

I had JUST started the Couch to 5K program when I found out I was pregnant and I'm really looking forward to being able to start that again ... probably when I go back to work, as that's when I was able to do my exercising before (on my lunch break).

#83 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama View Post

I think earlier a couple posters mentioned being annoyed by their older kid after their second was born.  I was warned before my second came along that I would feel that way and, boy, am I glad I was given the heads up.  I felt so bad that I just wanted to snuggle my baby and hang with the perfection that is a newborn.  I was so annoyed by the first that I felt terrible.  But was glad to know that I wasn't alone in that feeling and that the feeling would go away at some point.  

I actually haven't been too bad with DD1, though I think that's mostly down to having her grandma here to keep her out of my hair.

Quote:

We don't have bathroom scales either - and my MW didn't weigh me anyway, so I have no idea how much I have to lose! I've been wearing an abdominal binder thing to help shrink my tummy down - it's uncomfortable, but it worked a treat with DD. Then again, she was my first baby, so I sprang back to shape pretty quickly. I must say I don't like seeing myself in the mirror when I remove said binder in order to wash. I really dislike the wobbly PP tummy look. And my tummy button looks freakin' WEIRD - it's dark brown, like the linea nigra sort of pooled in it, and flat in a stretched-out kind of way.

I have a binder but I've barely worn it. It's a cheapo one and just too itchy.

My belly button looks really weird too! It'll go back to normal eventually...right?

This pregnancy definitely took a much bigger toll on my body than the first. More than double the weight gain. I'm also itching to get out and exercise, but I'm so not there yet with the healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I haven't weighed myself either. Last 2 babies I was obsessed with the number even though I looked good. Hopefully this tear heals soon and I can start exercsing in a month or so. I had hoped to do the half marathon in August, but realize now that won't be possible. I might look for one in the springg instead.

I really wish I could say thing are getting easier, but I have a feeling that it will be a while before that happens. Oh, I keep hearing about honey for the tear. Wouldn't the pad stich to it? How do you get it to not get all over everything? So far only topical anesthetics are helping.

Ugh I wish we could get topical anaesthetics in this middle-of-nowhere country. I've been using diaper rash barrier cream on mine. Wet pads on stitches is just the worst! Can you imagine having to do this without decent hygiene and healthcare?

#84 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM

I'm LOL'ing a little RE the "nameless" thing.  We name our babies in a formal ceremony at 9 days, and no one but me and dh knows the name until then.  It drove everybody NUTS with dd#2, but they were a little more calm about it this go-round.

#85 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I'm LOL'ing a little RE the "nameless" thing.  We name our babies in a formal ceremony at 9 days, and no one but me and dh knows the name until then.  It drove everybody NUTS with dd#2, but they were a little more calm about it this go-round.

Hehe! Actually, where we live the norm is to not reveal the name until the baptism, which can be months! However most people have at least chosen a name by now, and we're not religious or planning any naming ceremony, so that doesn't apply for us either.

#86 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

Hey all! I've been lurking but can't seem to work up the energy to post much.

We're having a bit of a rough day. DH has some kind of stomach flu (which I'm TERRIFIED we're all going to catch!), and I also suspect I'm coming down with mastitis. Tomorrow could be a very long day...

I'm also getting seriously cranky that DD is still nameless, and that DH is still in no hurry to discuss names. I can't even get him to make a short-list. hammer.gif I know he's tired but I mean...he didn't realise that when I was asking him to do this before the baby arrived? Now he's talking to me about some computer program he's writing and all can think is "You have the energy for complex programming but you can't take 20 minutes to narrow down the names list?".

Other than all of that, things are going pretty well. The baby is adorable and seems very healthy and content so far. DD1 loves her, and has been very gentle with her. I think the change has still been kind of hard on her though.

I hope you don't get sick! I started running a fever last night, very low grade, but enough that when combined with my horrific headache it was enough to send me to bed for the evening. And, of course, when I'm feeling like total crap is when the baby wants to nurse constantly and be clingy and fussy.

I would be freaking out if I were in your shoes with the baby name thing! It's one thing to feel unsure and not ready to decide, but it's something else entirely when you're asking for some help and pretty much being ignored. I hope that you'll be able to find a name for your sweet girl soon! I kind of feel like babies aren't "real" people until they have a name.

Quote:

The good part is, Miles woke up at 4 or 5AM wanting to play. He wasn't hungry or screaming, just alert; so I sat him up against my knees and put the night-light on, and we just chilled together looking at each other for about half an hour. It was nice. :) DH thought I was crazy.

All in all, I'm just thoroughly enjoying this wee baby! He's getting cuter every day, he's mellow, he's just fun. And compared to the PP experience with DD, well, night and day... healing's better, breastfeeding's better, sleeping's better.

Ezrah didn't have a name until the day we went home from the hospital, when the birth certificate lady called me to get the information. I honestly still wasn't 100% sure of his name, and everyone under the sun had been asking what his name was, so I just went with the one that he looked most like. It fits him well so I'm happy. :)

I think your Miles and my Ezrah are two of a kind. He will wake up in the wee hours of the morning to nurse and then instead of falling back to sleep he'll stay awake and stare at me. So we have staring contests and I talk to him. He waves his little arms around, like he's swimming in slow motion through the air, and makes his adorable little faces. My other kids were great babies too, but it's been so long that I'd forgotten entirely what it is to have a newborn. This one is divine. He's starting to fatten up and he's losing that newborn alien look and getting to look more baby all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up with everyone :( We STILL have house guests and more are arriving on Thurs. yaaaay....

We are doing great-- nursing is good, baby sleeps well, DD loves him and isn't jealous, I am getting a decent amount of sleep. I will admit that I am still scared to be home alone with both of them--- eek!! As for the cord stump-- Finn's is 90% detached and hanging on by goo-- eww! I keep a little Zinc powder/cornstarch on it for good measure. Hope that's ok.

Praying for all of you!

I cannot imagine having house guests right now! You poor thing! I have a hard enough time with the kids' friends coming over to play, and sleepovers have been outlawed for at least another month. Plus you're recovering from major surgery and trying to enjoy your new baby! I hope that you're able to get some rest!

Quote:

One of my friends had a baby a month before mine was born, and she didn't decide on his name for 8 days. The poor woman was being nagged to death about what his name was!

RE: getting in shape... I hate exercise. HATE IT. However, I'm feeling the urge to actually DO some lately, which is completely out of character for me. I think all of this sitting and lying around is getting to me. The main issue is that I don't have a ton of energy. My iron dipped down REALLY low after Ezrah was born, low enough that my MW had discussed a transfusion with me. I told her that I'd rather take iron supplements and go home that day, which she let me do. It's been going back up, but slowly. And the anemia combined with the newborn sleeping schedule doesn't leave a whole lot of energy for exercise. He's only 2 weeks old, but I feel like I should be doing more at this point than I am. It doesn't help that my kids are always asking if we can go here or there and do this or that. I know it's kind of boring for them lately because we really can't even go to the lake. It's been too hot for baby to be outside all day long in 100+ temps and I can't even swim yet!

Jenni

#87 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM

I'm still here I promise. Definitely living the fourth trimester with this kidlet. I don't mind it too much until she decides to turn it into a cluster feeding frenzy for hours on end back and fourth and then I spend the next day fighting the engorgement that tries to rear it's ugly head.

Flying to Texas on Friday with my girlfriend. Excited to get away, but worried about the security crap. I'm warring over checking my bag or just bringing a carry-on...I'll probably check my bag so I don't have to carry mine everywhere and bring a small carry on with the diapers and wipes and boppy (yeah I'm not going anywhere without it lol.)

Still bleeding/discharging just enough to have to keep wearing something. I just want it to be done.

Well baby girl is hollering again so I'm off!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#88 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Trying to figure out if I'm doing the right thing RE nursing/supplementing.  After he ended up in the hospital I'm having a hard time trusting myself. guilty.gif  The lactation consultant told me yesterday to stop going straight for the bottle of formula if I couldn't get him to latch.  She suggested that I try other ways to calm him down, then offer the breast again.  I did that all day long and every time he eventually latched.  Yay!  He had plenty of wet dipes, but not as many dirty ones.  This worked great all day and evening, until about 10:00PM.  I tried everything I could think of at the time but could not get him to calm down.  I eventually made him a bottle, which he took all of 1 oz. of, but he was still really fussy.  After he drank that, he had a big ol' poop.  Still didn't calm down, though, so I FINALLY thought to swaddle him.  Took about 45 seconds for him to calm down and he went straight to sleep.  So, I'm thinking I should have skipped the formula.

So, today.  No bottles, just nursing nearly constantly.  I'm able to hand-express milk, so I know he's getting something when he latches.  However, he's had a lot fewer wet dipes (3-4, I think) and only 1 dirty one today (about 12 hours so far).  Is that within the realm of normal?  I'm so dang scared that he's going to end up in the hospital again, but I know that if I keep giving him formula my milk supply is just going to go away.  :(

#89 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Trying to figure out if I'm doing the right thing RE nursing/supplementing.  After he ended up in the hospital I'm having a hard time trusting myself. guilty.gif  The lactation consultant told me yesterday to stop going straight for the bottle of formula if I couldn't get him to latch.  She suggested that I try other ways to calm him down, then offer the breast again.  I did that all day long and every time he eventually latched.  Yay!  He had plenty of wet dipes, but not as many dirty ones.  This worked great all day and evening, until about 10:00PM.  I tried everything I could think of at the time but could not get him to calm down.  I eventually made him a bottle, which he took all of 1 oz. of, but he was still really fussy.  After he drank that, he had a big ol' poop.  Still didn't calm down, though, so I FINALLY thought to swaddle him.  Took about 45 seconds for him to calm down and he went straight to sleep.  So, I'm thinking I should have skipped the formula.

So, today.  No bottles, just nursing nearly constantly.  I'm able to hand-express milk, so I know he's getting something when he latches.  However, he's had a lot fewer wet dipes (3-4, I think) and only 1 dirty one today (about 12 hours so far).  Is that within the realm of normal?  I'm so dang scared that he's going to end up in the hospital again, but I know that if I keep giving him formula my milk supply is just going to go away.  :(

How often are you checking his diapers to see if they need to be changed? If you're checking every 2 hours on the dot and they're dry half the time, then that may be cause for concern. If you're checking, and changing, diapers less often then that could explain the lower number. I have a breastfeeding log that is part of the booklet that I got at the hospital. The goal for nursing for day 10 and older is 8-12 nursings in a 24 hour period, up to 7 wet diapers and up to 4 poopy diapers. Based off of that he may be a little behind, but that's for 24 hours, not 12. I say keep track for another day or so and see what happens. Do you have an app or some other easy way to track your feedings and diaper changes?

I forget about the swaddling thing too. Ezrah would NOT go to sleep earlier and I knew he was tired and he was fussing but refusing to fall asleep. I wrapped him up and he conked out in about a minute. Crazy!

I also got his discharge summary today and apparently he had his cord wrapped around his neck once, tightly. That's the first I've heard of it.

Jenni

#90 of 225 Old 06-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
RE: getting in shape... I hate exercise. HATE IT. However, I'm feeling the urge to actually DO some lately, which is completely out of character for me. I think all of this sitting and lying around is getting to me.

Heh. Sounds like me and housework. I'm about as far away from June Cleaver as you can get, but I'm trying to take things very easy, and have to fight the urge to wander round putting stuff away and loading the dishwasher. Very unusual. Unfortunately I keep thinking "Oh well, DH will do it", and then he doesn't. :p Not his fault - he's working from home and has a big product launch thingy due on July 1 - but it does mean the house is rather un-pristine.

Am feeling a tad stir-crazy too - I haven't left the house since we got back from the birthing centre. But I suspect going for a walk would do me good, and anyway the weather's yucky. Am hoping DH will take DD to the library today - it'd give her an outing, and I'm on my last library book. So I need to make a list of books for him to get me... and finish transcribing one of his work videos, so he can turn it into an article and make us money and save us from the poorhouse... and finish writing up my birth story... and do my hair semi-decently so I can take some nice photos of me and the baby. We have dozens of lovely ones of Miles with DH and DD, but all the ones of me show me as a charmingly bloated-looking, blotchy frowsy-haired maniac in a pair of unflatering op-shop pyjamas. Not really the only record I want to have of his first days of life.

So that's my to-do list for today! Lunch will be the remains of a rather unpleasing supermarket chicken pie; dinner is being kindly provided by a lady from church who happens to be a fantastic cook.

Also, Miles has fallen asleep on the milks, wearing a hood with ears on, with his two little fists bunched up under his cheeks. So ridiculously cute!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page